• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 3 : Third Strike VS Garou : Mark Of The Wolves

Hellraizah

I just got these 2 games, and I must say the 2 are incredibly good. Which one of these is the best, and why ?

Gameplay wise, I feel they are mostly equal, but I give Mark Of The Wolves the nod because of character designs.

Shoryuken

SF3:Third Strike

I like both games, but I feel like Third Strike is the tighter game experience thanks to parrying. Also I'd give Third Strike the nod on character designs/character variety.

Haven't played much Garou at all, but it's the best feeling fighter from SNK, IMO.

Still think 3rd is superior, just because it's cancel system is so damned good. Also think the chara designs are better.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There is ultimately no comparison in depth: 3rd Strike wins, hands down.

Now, bear in mind, Mark of the Wolves was designed to emulate Street Fighter III in style of animation, speed, feel of gameplay, and even the controls. (It breaks SNK tradition by adopting the "simple" super move commands like SFIII - virtually all supers are a quick and easy motion, easy to combo.) So at first glance, they're going to seem really smiliar.

MotW has good depth, mind you, especially if you master Just Defense and other skill-based techniques. SFIII however just has that much more - if you keep plumbing the depths, you'll find more. More moves, more possible interactions between fighting styles, more strategy with positioning and timing, the parry system being deeper and opening up more possibilities than Just Defense.

Aside from pure gameplay, it's going to be about aesthetics. 3rd Strike has a bigger cast and IMHO, a better balance between styles of fighters. I also feel it's more balanced, overall. And even though there are a few Shotos in it, it still has a great variety of play styles. MotW has more SNK-ish character designs (duh!) and obviously many folks will prefer those to Capcom's more "basic" character concepts. Though personally I feel 3rd Strike is the most SNK-ish of Capcom's SF series in terms of character design.

Otherwise, graphic nod still goes to 3rd Strike by a little bit, and musically, I think the music in 3rd Strike is a league above that in Garou.

evil ways

Hellraizah said:
I just got these 2 games, and I must say the 2 are incredibly good. Which one of these is the best, and why ?

Gameplay wise, I feel they are mostly equal, but I give Mark Of The Wolves the nod because of character designs.

IBTN, especially due to Marco, the Williams from Enter The Dragon ripoff and The Griffon.

Aside from Ibuki, and Q, the character designs from Third Strike are boring.

WarPig

Griffon = the shit. HE'S DOING IT FOR THE KIDS.

Also, Rock and Terry completely smite Ken and Ryu by any available metric of style.

DFS.

Chun-Li, Elena, Ibuki and Makoto > annoying squealing pirate girl and jailbait who... ummm... gets personal with her opponents in her supers.

ourumov

Garou was one of the best SNK games ever from every aspect...Perhaps Garou is better for medium players since they sure gonna enjoy it more.
I like them a lot but 3S wins.

WarPig

XS+ said:
Hotaru's Cherry Pop super > SF3

I second the motion, motion carried. That shit's hilarious the first time someone sees it.

Garou also had the little pre-win win poses, which were lots of fun.

DFS.

mosaic

go eat paint
Both games are juicy goodness. To try and pick one over another is to insult the gods and deny one's self the pleasure of two great 2D fighters.

Of course, if SNK and Capcom ever want to team up and make a Garou VS SFIII game, and not turn it into a crapfest like SVC Chaos, I'm all for that...

Hell, I'd rub Cool Whip on DaveZ's chest for that. And let Exxy take photos.

Jagernaut

It's a draw. Both games are excellent, and the best fighting games SNK and Capcom ever made. SNK needs to release Garou on PS2/Xbox.

AfroLuffy

I love them both.

Garou and SF:3s are the only two 2d fighters, i've seriously sat down and tried to master. I remember reading the gamefan review of garou and thinking how much fun I had at the 7/11 playing fatal fury special and samurai shodown 2 as a kid. Garou was the 2nd coming of 2d christ for me, and It filled the void left by a lack of serious T3/TTT comp in my area.

I have some great memories of playing garou over kaillera--jesus those were goodtimes!

I still need to pick up the DC version of garou, but I recall the port being kind've sloppy. I'd go with MAME again, but i prefer to support the companies I like.

Currently, SF:3S has been a good friend. After letting the DC version sit in neglect, unplayed for 2 years, i dusted it off around the time the ps2 version launched, played it, and finally realized the grave error of my ways.

So yes, i'm indebted to both games, but i'm giving the nod to garou for providing light in a time of great darkness(VS games *cough*..ugh..).

Oh, neo geo collesium looks hot!

Tellaerin

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Haven't played much Garou at all, but it's the best feeling fighter from SNK, IMO.

Still think 3rd is superior, just because it's cancel system is so damned good. Also think the chara designs are better.

Much as I like 3rd Strike, I have to give the edge to Garou when it comes to character designs. I think my main problem with 3rd Strike's roster is that there are just too many... well... freaks for my liking. Oro, Twelve, Q, Necro... they're a little too bizarre, a little too alien for the 'SF universe'. (Prior to SF III, Blanka was about as weird as Street Fighter ever got, and those guys easily put him to shame on the bizarreness scale.) Those characters would be at home in Vampire Savior or MvC, IMO, but in a Street Fighter game, they just don't feel like they belong. *shrug*

Asbel

Garou has both a pirate and a ninja so Garou wins. :p

More seriously though, I love the option of EX moves in 3S. On the other hand, Garou has feints, which are almost as great as an option, and breaks.

I really like them both the same. Anybody know where to get Garou videos like all the 3S ones?

Saturnman

Banned
Real Bout 2 is a better game than Garou. The latter is a surprisingly soulless SNK fighter, despite some technical marvels about it.

Kseutron

these are just two of the best fighting games ever IMO (with Xmen children of the atom)

raaaah...too hard to choose, i quit !

aoi tsuki

i remember playing Garou (NG version) briefly at an import shop, then later (briefly again, sadly) when the US DC version hit. Is there any shame/reason, aside from the 1337 hardcore import gamer aspect, to owning the US version over the Japanese version? i remember the US version of Last Blade 2 making me long for the import, which i sadly never got. (Got both versions of Third Strike though ^_^.)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Tellaerin said:
Much as I like 3rd Strike, I have to give the edge to Garou when it comes to character designs. I think my main problem with 3rd Strike's roster is that there are just too many... well... freaks for my liking. Oro, Twelve, Q, Necro... they're a little too bizarre, a little too alien for the 'SF universe'. (Prior to SF III, Blanka was about as weird as Street Fighter ever got, and those guys easily put him to shame on the bizarreness scale.) Those characters would be at home in Vampire Savior or MvC, IMO, but in a Street Fighter game, they just don't feel like they belong. *shrug*

I don't understand this.

A game series that features characters with the abilities to: stretch limbs, shoot energy projectiles, teleport at will, horizontally hover or jump over ten feet... can somehow have people in the roster that are too bizarre?

WarPig

aoi tsuki said:
i remember playing Garou (NG version) briefly at an import shop, then later (briefly again, sadly) when the US DC version hit. Is there any shame/reason, aside from the 1337 hardcore import gamer aspect, to owning the US version over the Japanese version? i remember the US version of Last Blade 2 making me long for the import, which i sadly never got. (Got both versions of Third Strike though ^_^.)

I forget whether the American version got fucked with or not. I think Agetec had wised up at that point, but I'm not sure.

I had the Japanese Neo Geo MVS version for a while, though, so nothing else feels quite right to me. Slap it on a 29" arcade monitor, woo-ha does that look good...

DFS.

WarPig said:
I forget whether the American version got fucked with or not. I think Agetec had wised up at that point, but I'm not sure.
I think it was SNK Japan that had wised up. They responded to all the complaints about the censorship of Last Blade 2 (which they were responsible for, as always) and pledged that no further US releases of their Dreamcast games would be censored. I'm pretty sure Garou made it over intact, but obviously they didn't bother making a habit of it.

Top Bottom