• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Skilletor said:
Not true at all.

If Chun wasn't in the game, Yun would still be dumb. And then Ken. Get rid of them and Makoto would be stupid.

As for the rest, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it.

Edit: ugh, sorry, used a word I shouldn't have. Been on the internet too much. :(

The thing is using Yun at full level is actually pretty hard, ken is like middle ground. I always considered Yun to be better than chun, but the fact his real stuff is kinda hard and not every one can do it consistently is the reason why I don't mind him being as strong as he is. Just the short ass super bar is a bit dumb should be twice as big and last just as long, but hey lol capcom. As for Makoto, I always saw her as the all or nothing gamble character of the game your choices either work, or you get blown the fuck up cause you planned your set up wrongly for their reaction.

But what you said is true everyone will always bitch about characters, it's just such a huge downer at how lame and basic chun is compared to the rest of cast yet she ends up the best cause of silly choices capcom made.

abq

STG said:
I will use my old Ps2 Fightpad via USB adapter

sfpadakuma9j70.jpg

I also have an PS2 arcade stick but it's the NeoGeo rebuild thing so only 4 buttons are really use able and the others are too small

planing to buy a Ps3 fightstick but those are still pretty expensive :I
$25 Tatsunoko vs Capcom fighstick
$10 Mayflash converter

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032ISZL8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003711698/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can easily change the parts to sanwa or seimitsu in the future.

Imm0rt4l

El Sloth said:
There will definitely be a lot of shattered nostalgia goggles, that's for sure.
I can agree with this much.

Skilletor said:
Not true at all.

If Chun wasn't in the game, Yun would still be dumb. And then Ken. Get rid of them and Makoto would be stupid.

As for the rest, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it.

Edit: ugh, sorry, used a word I shouldn't have. Been on the internet too much. :(

no doubt , but I think getting rid of the s tiers wouldn't make another character s tier. The existence of an s tier is basically just having a character way above the rest of the cast. If their aren't any of those chars wouldn't that make other characters much more viable? This would condense a lot of the tiers, though not by a whole lot.

edit: just realized you guys weren't talking about overall balance but rather characters that are considered "dumb" whatever that means. Nothing to say about that really.

Aurarian

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Imm0rt4l said:
edit: just realized you guys weren't talking about overall balance but rather characters that are considered "dumb" whatever that means. Nothing to say about that really.

A little of both really. Which is why I brought up the thing about yuns super bar :p

I just have to say that people buying this that haven't played it before don't go into it thinking it's going to play out like sf4, one you wont enjoy it, two you will lose.

I think its funny how people bitch about the balance of 3s, then get excited and watch the Fei vs. Yun finals of the Godgarden #4 this weekend. The people that are bitching about tiers aren't good enough for tiers to matter anyway.

Play the game. If you don't like it, don't play

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
26thletter said:
I think its funny how people bitch about the balance of 3s, then get excited and watch the Fei vs. Yun finals of the Godgarden #4 this weekend. The people that are bitching about tiers aren't good enough for tiers to matter anyway.

ofoy0k.gif

Oh lawd.

26thletter said:

dotdotdot

26thletter said:

This needs some explanation, I don't really follow SFIV. You mean this fight, right?

Imm0rt4l

26thletter said:

Do you think 3s is more balanced than AE? Also people bitch about Hong Kong fighter all the time, what makes you think it's limited to 3s? If anything I think the people who are complaining about tiers in SSF4 are going to be in for a rude awakening with 3s. I do agree that tiers may not matter as much at low level play but I don't think you can dismiss tiers at all. I'm pretty sure Alex vs Chun being 8-2 Chun will still be pretty noticeable at low levels.

entremet

Put my SFA disc in to get ready and played some 3S. Just messed with training mode and arcade mode. Still solid, but it reminded how much I prefer SFIV incarnations. Noticed that it's default speed is a bit slow, but I guess it make sense given the parry system.

I forgot how much Chun is a beast in this game. Super priority normals, great Super Art with amazing damage, including chip, speed, etc.

I used to play Ryu when this was in the arcades, boy he's bad in this. Ken outclasses him handily. I even used the worst super art--Shin Shoryu, at least in terms of meter options.

My knowledge of SF has grown tons since SFIV, so it was nice bringing that knowledge to SFIII. I didn't frequent SRK, streams were not available, no youtube tutorials, and the info was not as readily available as it is today.

I'm interested what the new, more open fighting game scene will bring to 3S.

Who's playing this game MURICAN style? I'm playing this with Happ. If you're HAPP-Y and you know it shake yo fist.

Gonna hate on everyone with Sean. Basketballs are gonna fly everywhere.

notworksafe

PSN: notworksafe Southwest US

Playing Elena, Ken, and some Oro.

Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:
Who's playing this game MURICAN style? I'm playing this with Happ. If you're HAPP-Y and you know it shake yo fist.
Love the Happ style on a cab my friend has, but I don't have an American style stick at home sadly. Gonna be using my Poison stick to play.

notworksafe said:
PSN: notworksafe Southwest US

Playing Elena, Ken, and some Oro.

Love the Happ style on a cab my friend has, but I don't have an American style stick at home sadly. Gonna be using my Poison stick to play.

Why do I feel like your Shaq avatar is staring at that poison stick and going "Damn, I'm gonna pump dat rump."

QisTopTier said:
A little of both really. Which is why I brought up the thing about yuns super bar :p

I just have to say that people buying this that haven't played it before don't go into it thinking it's going to play out like a street fighter game, one you wont enjoy it, two you will lose.

Fixed :p 3s plays nothing like CvS2, alpha, st, 4 series, etc. etc. etc.

Also for people looking to get into 3s, don't overthink the game, it's honestly not as as complicated as some of its advocates will make you to believe, and when u get a feel for the game it's super simple as most of the scenarios you get into are just coin flips once you know your options.

Kimosabae

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
Fixed :p 3s plays nothing like CvS2, alpha, st, 4 series, etc. etc. etc.

Also for people looking to get into 3s, don't overthink the game, it's honestly not as as complicated as some of its advocates will make you to believe, and when u get a feel for the game it's super simple as most of the scenarios you get into are just coin flips once you know your options.

That's why I love it. Game shits all over SF4 in regards to intuition because the situations are more clearly defined. Game flows better. When I get a hard knockdown, or go into block strings, I don't have to be scared shitless if 40% of my opponent's life is gone.

QisTopTier said:
A ton of bitching. :(

Definitely, now instead of bitching about the Chinese (Twins+Fei), they'll be bitching about the OTHER Chinese too (Yun/Chun). I predict most of it will come from people getting Geni Jin'd over and over and over...

Kimosabae said:
That's why I love it. Game shits all over SF4 in regards to intuition because the situations are more clearly defined. Game flows better. When I get a hard knockdown, or go into block strings, I don't have to be scared shitless if 40% of my opponent's life is gone.

Oh funny story, there's more of that in 3s than there is in sf4 :p I'll have to disagree with you there though, if akuma has you knocked down, you KNOW he's on the offense and his options are better than yours. I'm not gonna talk about sf4 too much though, since this is a 3s thread, but you're gonna rage when you have makoto in the corner, try to bait a parry, and then eat a wake up command grab instead then proceed to lose your whole life bar. In 3s, there's never really a true offensive/defensive momentum goin because of parries and how good they are. Now matter how hot your offensive streak is, it could instantly be flipped on you. For some people they hate that, while for others that's why the game is so endearing.

Anyways, 3s is a super fun game, with it's own unique pacing and meta game. peeps just have to know coming in that they'll enjoy it more if they pretend it doesn't have street fighter in the name, since it plays nothing like it.

Kimosabae

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
Oh funny story, there's more of that in 3s than there is in sf4 :p I'll have to disagree with you there though, if akuma has you knocked down, you KNOW he's on the offense and his options are better than yours. I'm not gonna talk about sf4 too much though, since this is a 3s thread, but you're gonna rage when you have makoto in the corner, try to bait a parry, and then eat a wake up command grab instead then proceed to lose your whole life bar. In 3s, there's never really a true offensive/defensive momentum goin because of parries and how good they are. Now matter how hot your offensive streak is, it could instantly be flipped on you. For some people they hate that, while for others that's why the game is so endearing.

Anyways, 3s is a super fun game, with it's own unique pacing and meta game. peeps just have to know coming in that they'll enjoy it more if they pretend it doesn't have street fighter in the name, since it plays nothing like it.

The bolded is exactly my point. I'm forced to eat more TRUE mixups (and if I'm Akuma, vice versa). Throws beat parries clean. I'd much rather eat 40-50% from a Mak combo or any generic hitconfirm to Super guessing wrong because I threw out a normal, rather than an invincible Ultra/DP that potentially beats EVERYTHING except bait actions. I don't have to stutter or second guess myself nearly as much when I get a KD, because I know my opponent's only safe options are block or parry. If I bait your reversal DP or Super you die in this game. Hence, why the game flows better.

Skilletor

I really want this thread to be about 3s, but people spouting so much silliness regarding the options in this game vs. other SF games makes that really hard.

/bites my tongue

Skilletor said:
I really want this thread to be about 3s, but people spouting so much silliness regarding the options in this game vs. other SF games makes that really hard.

/bites my tongue
Yeah...I suppose its all good for the time being. Once the game releases though, I hope its ban worthy. Shit is going to be derailed WAY too bad, and much too often if not.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm really super excited to try 3S. I love the effort being put into this title, and how feature rich it is. I never really got into it. I owned the Anniversary Collection way back, but I don't have a huge local community, so I never really learned its system in depth.

Skilletor

GuardianE said:
I'm really super excited to try 3S. I love the effort being put into this title, and how feature rich it is. I never really got into it. I owned the Anniversary Collection way back, but I don't have a huge local community, so I never really learned its system in depth.

I'm looking forward to seeing how GGPO plays w/ a fighter. The ability, or inability, to parry with a good connection will reveal the quality of the netcode.

Pretty excited :).

Too bad school starts this week. :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
El Sloth said:
There will definitely be a lot of shattered nostalgia goggles, that's for sure.

I doubt it. People who play it often are the ones most excited.

D.Lo

So apparrently since SF4 was designed as SF2 redux, SF3 is 'doesn't play like Street Fighter' because it wasn't designed as SF2 redux. Got it.

The only other real Street Fighter is the alpha series and SF1, which also don't play like SF2.

Anywhoo, I haven't really played or bought any games for about a year, but have the Hori Wireless stick 3 coming in anticipation (aparrently the best wireless PS3 stick?).

3rd Strike: best game ever made. It's not perfect, but it's elegant and beautiful.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Skilletor said:

/bites my tongue
Games sorta not out yet, but once it's out I'm sure it will calm down. If not well I hope those people just stop playing the game stfu and go back to what ever :D As for now, it gives the topic some life :x Not that I really approve of it myself.

d0c_zaius

Cant wait for tuesday!

I'm rusty but I'll be playing a lot. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of new faces enjoy the game and learn more about fighting games in general. Add me if you want to play against Elena, Hugo, Alex or Q:) PSN: d0c_zaius XBL: d0c_z5000

It'll be pretty entertaining with all the day 1 gill scrubs, and people think that taunt buffs are cheap.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Skilletor said:

/bites my tongue
People are interested enough to discuss SF. This is a good problem to have. It'll be interesting to see how the SFIV audience reacts to this game since most probably know it more by reputation than hands-on experience. Besides, this is an enjoyable trip back in time to a debate that started in the late 90s for some of us. :p

Anyway, I'm most excited about the netcode. Given the reality of America's internet infrastructure and Capcom's current design philosophies, GGPO + 2D sprites are going to be the best online fighting game experiences for the foreseeable future. 3S: OE will be, by far, the most important mainstream example of that combo to date. I hope it delivers and is a huge success so we can get more of this from Capcom. I'd love to see this same love letter written to HF, ST, VS, and CvS2, to name a few . . .

Also, I want this to be a clear message to Capcom that they need to place much more emphasis on the online component during development. MvC3-caliber online should never happen again.

Skilletor

DjangoReinhardt said:
People are interested enough to discuss SF. This is a good problem to have. It'll be interesting to see how the SFIV audience reacts to this game since most probably know it more by reputation than hands-on experience. Besides, this is an enjoyable trip back in time to a debate that started in the late 90s for some of us. :p

Anyway, I'm most excited about the netcode. Given the reality of America's internet infrastructure and Capcom's current design philosophies, GGPO + 2D sprites are going to be the best online fighting game experiences for the foreseeable future. 3S: OE will be, by far, the most important mainstream example of that combo to date. I hope it delivers and is a huge success so we can get more of this from Capcom. I'd love to see this same love letter written to HF, ST, VS, and CvS2, to name a few . . .

Also, I want this to be a clear message to Capcom that they need to place much more emphasis on the online component during development. MvC3-caliber online should never happen again.

I find many comments not discussion, but close-minded and ignorant statements on either camp that thinks their game plays better.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Skilletor said:
I find many comments not discussion, but close-minded and ignorant statements on either camp that thinks their game plays better.
Heh, I'd say GAF is remarkably civil as far as fighting game debate on the internet goes.

Skilletor

DjangoReinhardt said:
Heh, I'd say GAF is remarkably civil as far as fighting game debate on the internet goes.

It's quite civil. But when it comes to older games, most people have made up their minds. People already know what they like/believe and in the past few 3s threads have pretty much just been the same tired arguments over and over.

This being the OT, I was hoping that would end and people would talk more about 3s rather than other SF games. There are threads for that.

-Mikey-

I played a bit of 3s on GGPO and PS2 but nothing serious, just with friends. I'm looking to play as Urien and hopefully learn charge partitioning.

.la1n

dwu8991 said:
Absolutely, people will realise that it's not "the" street fighter game anymore.

Haven't checked the thread lately but I'm impressed we made it this far before quotes like this started popping up.

hater_gonna_hate_05.jpg

Kimosabae said:
The bolded is exactly my point. I'm forced to eat more TRUE mixups (and if I'm Akuma, vice versa). Throws beat parries clean. I'd much rather eat 40-50% from a Mak combo or any generic hitconfirm to Super guessing wrong because I threw out a normal, rather than an invincible Ultra/DP that potentially beats EVERYTHING except bait actions. I don't have to stutter or second guess myself nearly as much when I get a KD, because I know my opponent's only safe options are block or parry. If I bait your reversal DP or Super you die in this game. Hence, why the game flows better.

Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear *_* I was talking about akuma knocking you down in sf4. You can't dp your way out of that, you have to guess right, where as in 3s you can't truly say you're on offense because attacking is just as risky as defending, there's no offense/defense, there's just option vs. option where both characters almost constantly have an equally weighted risk/reward. Now granted, certain characters don't have those options as their damage off a parry is shit (take 12 for example) but if you have two competent characters (say chun vs. ken) it almost never feels like one character has momentum or advantage over the other.

I don't understand you're point w/ dp though, as a wakeup dp is essentially the same thing as a wake up parry, they're both unsafe, and they both destroy whatever meaty poke you just attempted into beefy damage against you. The difference being if someone wake up DP's in sf4, you can backdash then KILL them (ala poongko/fuudo, though that is character specific) whereas a wake up parry is like... uhh ok..I threw you, otherwise I have to guess on a poke punish where I don't have a visual confirmation of your choice.

I like 3s, but when people start spreading nonsense about how it's the end all be all, so much depth, blah blah blah, other games like sf4 are scrubby, I gotta step in and dispel these myths :p It's a super fun game in and of itself though, but being good at it doesn't mean you're any better than a sf4 player that commits to his game.

AAK

26thletter said:

Let's be honest here, Fei/Yun in AE are no where near as scary as Chun/Yun in 3S.

Top Bottom