• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

vulva

Time to learn Chun. I've always played her in every sf I've ever touched. I'm fine getting hate mail for using her if I actually manage to win at all, she's always been my girl. Nothing will stop that.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
V_Arnold said:
Loool. Seriously, LOL. That is my gut reaction to this post. Lol.
So do you know that:
1) AE:2012 patch is incoming?
2) Just because SFIV was already more balanced, SSFIV was WAAAY more balanced, that wont change the fact that AE is STILL more balanced than SF3:3s? :)

So what is your point here? Oh, nothing. Alright.

Actually, my point was that ssf4 was perfect they had no reason to make another, they could of added the new characters with out fucking with the rest of the cast. I already know about the whole 2012 patch and it's a good thing they are trying to fix what the hell they broke. Fun fact I research every single fighter and play if given the chance kthx :3 go try to fan boy and stir up shit elsewhere now :D

Even if I don't like the damn games I still sit down and take the time to watch streams of them and study up on them. You seem a bit bitter about 3s I'm sorry you were never good at it and you feel like it threatens your life in some way cause of some past event but hey it's ok man it's just a game!

Oh and if you payed attention to some of my other post I pretty much said 3s could use some VERY VERY minor tweaks.

Dartastic said:
Hate Yun and Chun? Just make a room with them BANNED. WHOMP WHOMP. PROBLEM SOLVED.

LOL no thanks, I don't even use them, and I find this stupid. People clearly blow the fucking power levels of the characters out of the water AND NO Don't bring up the damn Evo leaderboards, America has always been ass at this game, just like America is ass at GG.

V_Arnold

QisTopTier said:
Actually, my point was that ssf4 was perfect they had no reason to make another, they could of added the new characters with out fucking with the rest of the cast. I already know about the whole 2012 patch and it's a good thing they are trying to fix what the hell they broke. Fun fact I research every single fighter and play if given the chance kthx :3 go try to fan boy and stir up shit elsewhere now :D

Even if I don't like the damn games I still sit down and take the time to watch streams of them and study up on them. You seem a bit bitter about 3s I'm sorry you were never good at it and you feel like it threatens your life in some way cause of some past event but hey it's ok man it's just a game!

Oh wow, your second paragraph just reeks of awesomeness. Reeks of it. Keep it coming :)
I am not bitter about SF3, but Sirlin is absolutely right in this case. Haunts's saying of balancing would been bad is not a good attitude to have. He has a good argument, one that you only reacted with a hyperbole, so... salt is on your side ;)

Spruchy said:
By that logic why don't you just not play if you're that sad?

Now this is the attitude that is unbeliavable, and the one that Sirlin is talking about. There seems to be a group of people who thinks that keeping imbalance in games is good. It is not, when it is a competitive fighting game.

Anyway, who cares at this point, besides Sirlin and a few people who would have loved to see this gem shine even more. This is a port, not a fix, end of story. But the fact that it still needs a fix remains.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Dartastic said:
Hate Yun and Chun? Just make a room with them BANNED. WHOMP WHOMP. PROBLEM SOLVED.
and miss out on that sweet endorphin rush that comes with beasting on some unsavory SRK nerdlinger who thinks he can cr.mk - super his way to victory? pshaw! I'll eat 100 losses at the man-hands of chun for just one of those victories.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
V_Arnold said:
Oh wow, your second paragraph just reeks of awesomeness. Reeks of it. Keep it coming :)
I am not bitter about SF3, but Sirlin is absolutely right in this case. Haunts's saying of balancing would been bad is not a good attitude to have. He has a good argument, one that you only reacted with a hyperbole, so... salt is on your side ;)

The point of my post was that change is not always a good thing, you seem to be upset about something though and are venting some stress here. Unless you want to tell me SSF2T HD is more balanced than SSF2T or SSF4 AE is more balanced than SSF4. Change for the sake of change doesn't always work.

Dartastic

Brobzoid said:
and miss out on that sweet endorphin rush that comes with beasting on some unsavory SRK nerdlinger who thinks he can cr.mk - super his way to victory? pshaw! I'll eat 100 losses at the man-hands of chun for just one of those victories.
Exactly. It's good for all parties involved. Don't want to deal with em? You don't have to. If you want to play the game as is? You can.

V_Arnold

QisTopTier said:
The point of my post was that change is not always a good thing, you seem to be upset about something though and are venting some stress here. Unless you want to tell me SSF2T HD is more balanced than SSF2T. Change for the sake of change doesn't always work.

Again: I reacted your hyperbolic dumb reaction to something.
And "change for the sake of change" is bad. "change for the sake of better balance" is not.

Just because you keep repeating that "I seem to be upset", that wont be the case. Especially with all the "you must have been bad at SF3, poor you" crap.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
V_Arnold said:
Just because you keep repeating that "I seem to be upset", that wont be the case. Especially with all the "you must have been bad at SF3, poor you" crap.
But it's fun :( Just mostly poking at your super negative attitude about it is all :D

With that said, the main problem with balancing games internally like capcom does it is well. It's internal it doesn't get a crap ton of exposure the little things don't get found fast and so on.
The fact SSF4 turned out as perfect as it was, was honestly amazing to me. If capcom wanted to do a 3s balance patch after months of testing with players that know the game inside and out from tons of play time, then fuck yeah I'm all for it.

Which is the main thing I like about the way arcsys does stuff. They will publicly go through 4-8 public test before releasing something new even then they still mess up but for the most part it works out really really good.

Professor Beef said:
Fuck that. My Q accepts ALL CHALLENGERS.

8|

LOL the only hell match ups for Q are Makoto and Urien :D

Hope you are ready for at least one Q clone battle... I WILL SHOW YOU WHY HE IS MY USER NAME AND YOU WILL RESPECT MAH Q

V_Arnold

QisTopTier said:
But it's fun :( Just mostly poking at your super negative attitude about it is all :D

With that said, the main problem with balancing games internally like capcom does it is well. It's internal it doesn't get a crap ton of exposure the little things don't get found fast and so on.
The fact SSF4 turned out as perfect as it was, was honestly amazing to me. If capcom wanted to do a 3s balance patch after months of testing with players that know the game inside and out from tons of play time, then fuck yeah I'm all for it.

Which is the main thing I like about the way arcsys does stuff. They will publicly go through 4-8 public test before releasing something new even then they still mess up but for the most part it works out really really good.

And now you have expressed a proper opinion about the matter, not that snarky overreaction, and thus, my job here is done :p If they would make a 4th Strike, or whatever its name, bring in the best players (they already did that though with this port..just without actually asking them on balance matters), consult with them for long, and then decide. Not like it is gonna happen, but it would still be nice.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
V_Arnold said:
And now you have expressed a proper opinion about the matter, not that snarky overreaction, and thus, my job here is done :p If they would make a 4th Strike, or whatever its name, bring in the best players (they already did that though with this port..just without actually asking them on balance matters), consult with them for long, and then decide. Not like it is gonna happen, but it would still be nice.
Haven't you noticed, I always post that way until I feel it's required to post in detail and proper :p

But yup I fully agree about making a new one and doing it that way it's the only real way to do it actually, but you can't just listen to the best players of said characters you have to take the opinion of the others who fight against said characters as well. I think that's where sirlin went really wrong with SSF2T HD. He aimed mostly and raising the power levels of characters with out adjusting other properties of them to keep everyone at an even pace. He straight up reversed some match ups actually, which is the opposite of what he was trying to do. D: When characters main tools get shut down cause of the changes from other characters with nothing to compensate for the loss, things get really iffy. I think most people are scared this will happen with 3rd strike like it did for AE and HD remix.

And yeah not trying to say 3s is super balanced or anything I know it's unbalanced as shit, but the tiny saving grace of the game that somehow holds everything together is how parries straight up fix a ton of the issues at super high level play. Most games don't have that luxury of a safety net placed in the game that major as a neutralizer. Ultras and Xfactor are not the same thing before anyone brings that up I can point out a million flaws each xD

Rocwell said:
I don't know why Makoto vs Q is an 8-2 matchup but I look forward to finding out :D

No... no you are not. I look forward to the sadness post that will come from your first good mak fight D: it's literally STRESSFUL in the worst sense. I'd rate it the worst match up in the game actually :D It's the rare one time in the game that the parry system doesn't help in a match up.

Oh I don't think I listed in gerneral who I use yet... Makoto,Sean,Twelve, Alex, Q, then my main. In order of least to most :p

QisTopTier said:
No... no you are not. I look forward to the sadness post that will come from your first good mak fight D: it's literally STRESSFUL in the worst sense. I'd rate it the worst match up in the game actually :D It's the rare one time in the game that the parry system doesn't help in a match up.
He uses Makoto, not Q. 8|

Demo downloaded in no time, should hold me over till the full game.

Love the arcade cabinet scanlines look, really authentic. They made the menu and character select screen music even more cheesy than it already was though, lol!

mocoworm

Good reviews coming in !! The game sounds awesome.

Street Fighter III: Third Strike - Review

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-23-street-fighter-iii-third-strike-review

"The truth is that Third Strike is an elitist's game in the truest sense of the phrase. History has shown that, through its demands on player execution, this is a game that shrunk the audience of active Street Fighter players. But few would argue that it's anything but the pinnacle of 2D competitive Street Fighter design.

In some ways, this port has been made for the more casual player. The true Third Strike aficionado will already be playing over GGPO emulation or on an original CPSIII board. So this is for everyone else, especially those players who have learned the ropes on Street Fighter IV and want to see what the grizzled fighter nursing a Scotch in the corner of the gym used to play.

Scrub that. What they still play. Few video games have been competitively relevant for as long as Third Strike. And this tight, assured release will only increase its longevity. It's all a matter of timing, you see.

9/10"

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/22/st...eview-aged-to/

"Nothing about Online Edition has changed the core gameplay mechanics significantly enough to make it so. It's because Capcom had the good sense to leave well enough alone, however, that Online Edition is the best Third Strike there's ever been. And, as we all know, the third strike is what counts."

4 1/2 stars

IGN Review
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition is the best Street Fighter game to be released on the downloadable market yet. It’s the same game many of you have been playing for the last 12 years, only improved in every area. With a slick and vibrant visual upgrade, excellent online functionality and impressive new training modes, Capcom has delivered yet another stellar refinement of an old classic. Fighting fans shouldn’t have to think twice about purchasing this game. 9.0
Video Review

Well the reviews are all extremely positive. looks like Capcom did pretty much everything right with this game. I really hope it sells very well for them, only way we will see them continue this kinda support for fighting games.

ARXIN said:
Well the reviews are all extremely positive. looks like Capcom did pretty much everything right with this game. I really hope it sells very well for them, only way we will see them continue this kinda support for fighting games.
Yeah, I'm really hoping this sparks more upscale re-releases of Capcom's other fighter series like Darkstalkers, Street Fighter Alpha, Rival Schools, Slam Masters, etc.

I obviously wouldn't expect every game to get as much extra content as this, but just to get the IPs back into the market, and have fans (old and new) get to re-experience the various series would be great.

Plus, hopefully it would help those IPs gain more momentum in getting new installments.

Maybe it's because I never had too much experience with SFIII, but I'm preferring most of the remixes to the original songs. (The Necro/Twelve remix is amazing.)

Jazzy NYC '99 is strange to me though. I don't think it's a good remix of the original, but if I just think of it as a new song, I like it. ?_?

Do not like the remixed music. Ibuki's is passable, but that's about it. Some themes were superior in NG and 2i, but I really dislike these new ones. Snowland went from being a sweet Jungle tune to some low rate Dubstep for instance.

Now all Capcom needs to do is release all the NG/2i stages/music as DLC and let us pick specific themes for each character.

Its amazing how good this game still feels. This along with the visual and online upgrades are worth much more than the asking price for me. Going to log in some hours on this thing. Also, parry training is kicking my ass so hard lol

sephi22

Hey guys, how many hours for this to hit PSN?
I live in the UAE so its already 23rd here. I bought this off the US PSN so you guys must know when the store updates.

BadWolf

Is it possible to use a keyboard to play fighters on a PS3?

I remember someone bringing a keyboard to play during a Spooky stream, dunno if they were playing on a 360 or PS3 though.

GrayFoxPL

BadWolf said:
Is it possible to use a keyboard to play fighters on a PS3?

I remember someone bringing a keyboard to play during a Spooky stream, dunno if they were playing on a 360 or PS3 though.

There are some wierd asian converters for that. I think on play-asia.

mocoworm said:
Good reviews coming in !! The game sounds awesome.

Of course good reviews are coming in.

This is 3rd Strike, baby!

Say hallelujah, come on get happy today is 3rd Strike day! Practice your parries against the shotos, time to chase corner trapping away. :3

PJX

Mr Jared said:
David Sirloin single-handedly killed a 10+ year competitive game and community with his arrogance. And if he had his way, Street Fighter IV would have featured a 3D adventure mode where Ryu goes to "ninja school" and a rewind feature to take back your mistakes mid-match.

http://www.lion-gv.com/v09/Portfolio/game-design/street_fighter_iv/sf4-concept-doc.pdf

He had his chance, he screwed up. Big time. He should just stick to his card game and leave the community alone.

SF4 using Unreal Engine? Wow this guy is full of fail.

ShaneB

Now is when I wish my TE stick was dual modded, enjoy it today PSN players! Debating just taking a sick day tomorrow and playing the hell out of this.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
clap, clap, dash>gigas. reset in the corner, dash>gigas. parry>gigas. had all three of these working for me last night against a friend. it was glorious. i'm on some bart scott shit right about now. can't wait to get online.

Top Bottom