• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

LakeEarth

All I want from a rebalanced 3s is Chun's SAII to do 20-30% less damage, and Yun's SAIII bar to be 50% longer. I wouldn't even touch Ken.

But I've mained Alex and Hugo, so clearly I don't care too much about balance.

54-46! said:
Goddamn system update, haven't used my PS3 in months..
The worst part of the PS3. Sometimes I just want to watch a movie on NetFlix but I can't because I gotta download a patch for 20 minutes.

Mechazawa

GeoNeo said:
You should have seen him shit on his whole dev team pretty much to make himself look better after HDR.

Unless he was outright lying about the circumstances, Backbone deserved it.

Fuck yeah David Sirlin.

I think the ship has sailed for a rebalance. It seems meaningless at this point. How about instead of putting the big hitters in ever reiteration of SF why not add in those characters who suffered from imbalance? Did we really need Yun in AE? I'd rather have Q or Necro.

mattp

LakeEarth said:
All I want from a rebalanced 3s is Chun's SAII to do 20-30% less damage, and Yun's SAIII bar to be 50% longer. I wouldn't even touch Ken.

But I've mained Alex and Hugo, so clearly I don't care too much about balance.

The worst part of the PS3. Sometimes I just want to watch a movie on NetFlix but I can't because I gotta download a patch for 20 minutes.
you know you can just hit cancel when netflix asks you to log into psn and it will still work right?

Sayah

shinbojan said:
I am quite possibly, The Stupidest Man on Earth :p.

I preordered Third Strike and could not wait until it goes live on UK PSN.
I downloaded demo from HK and played it for few hours. The game is excellent!

A Few minutes ago I checked my emails and found this:

On 22/08/2011, we noted that your online activity in XMB Messaging was in
serious breach of the PLAYSTATION®Network Terms & Conditions for the
following reason(s): Harrassment.

As a result of this unacceptable behaviour, your PLAYSTATION®Network
account has been suspended for 7 days.

I was playing AE last night and asked the guy who kept kicking me after I beat his Evil Ryu(I think that he is no.1 or no.2 ER on PSN) why he keeps doing that and why he cares about points so much.
He replied with an insult to which I replied with equally insulting message and blocked him after that.
Well, it seems that he really wanted to ruin my day :).

Well, it seems that I will have to go back to Tekken 6 for a few days...

Well, that sucks. I would report that guy back. Unless you've already deleted the messages, then you don't have any evidence. If I send a message, I usually don't write anything too nasty. Like recently, had this guy with a 689 win streak and only 1 loss. Was already pretty obvious from the very beginning he would disconnect at the very end of the match. Told him to get a life. That's about it.

h3ro

Just messed around with the HK PSN demo.

For those that care about this thing, the game defaults to 720p. Yes it was going to be upscaled regardless, but I prefer when the game is 1080p native just for the crisp menus, etc.

Also, the game continues a long tradition of Capcom games not supporting Dolby Digital sound. Like HDR and BioCom Rearmed, my surround unit isn't picking up a lossless or DD/DTS signal from the game. I know there aren't any surround effects, but I would have liked the encoding for the higher bitrates. Not sure what the out put is though, I'm sure someone with a better receiver will know.

What filter is everyone playing with?

I found Smooth/Widescreen the most pleasing. Just for kicks, turning scanlines on was fun. Purists can keep 4:3, I'll take the thin bars on the side of Widescreen. Stretched makes the characters and stages look too warped.

Either way, I'll be picking this one up. Excited to try this out as it will be the first time I play SFIII with any modicum of skill. Wish XBL updated today!

Sayah

LakeEarth said:

I find it funny that they make you scroll through the whole user agreement every time there's an update. As if anybody would actually read it that way.

Red Liquorice said:
I think the ship has sailed for a rebalance. It seems meaningless at this point. How about instead of putting the big hitters in ever reiteration of SF why not add in those characters who suffered from imbalance? Did we really need Yun in AE? I'd rather have Q or Necro.
Because Yun would attract more players than Q or Necro.

LakeEarth

_dementia said:
Because Yun would attract more players than Q or Necro.
Come on, we all know they picked Yun and Yang because it would take less work to model them since they're twins. It isn't a coincidence that Oni and Evil Ryu are very similar to pre-existing character models.

Yoshichan said:
Street Fighter III: Third Strike - This year [2008], in the Top 8, we had Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, and Yun. In 2007, we had Chun, Chun, Chun, and Chun. In 2006, we had Yun, Yun, Yun, Yun, Chun, Chun, and Chun. In 2005, we had Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, Yun, and Yun. I don't think there's anything left to say about this game."

Same year SBO had a Ryu/Hugo/Q team eliminate Ricky Ortiz's Chun/Yang/Urien team and make top 8. Kuroda took Q to top 4 teams in the same bracket. Weird that Sirlin is so dismissive of the Japanese 3S scene like it's irrelevant. Yeah 3rd Strike isn't balanced but it seems you don't need a balanced game to dominate the competitive fighting scene for a decade. Behold MvC2. Sirlin comes off at the John Kricfalusi of fighting games: Aruging for purity in form at any cost; Trifling things like working to a deadline, economic consequences and consumer appreciation be damned.

Sayah

Noisepurge said:
press the dpad and you can skip it! :D
I think I've tried that but it doesn't work. It won't take you to the agree/disagree option unless you've scrolled all the way to the bottom.

Shadow780

Sayah said:
I think I've tried that but it doesn't work. It won't take you to the agree/disagree option unless you've scrolled all the way to the bottom.

Press right on the dpad to go straight to the agree/disagree.

So I don't play Super Turbo or HDR. What exactly was the end result of all the tweaks from Sirlin? Was overall balance better or did the tiers just shift around a bit? I just trying to figure out if folks are mad because he changed things or because he actually made balance / gameplay worse.

The guy does seem a bit full of himself, but I've played some of his board games (Yomi and Puzzle Strike) and I thought they were actually pretty spiffy.

you're all free......

if you preordered the game on PSN you can now download it!!! Just got to PSN play symbol under "New releases" and if you preordered it should now say "FREE" click and download gill, then game/unclock.

Westcoast FWIW...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
LakeEarth said:
Sayah said:
I find it funny that they make you scroll through the whole user agreement every time there's an update. As if anybody would actually read it that way.
Oh, sweet misinformation.

shinbojan

Banned
Sayah said:
Well, that sucks. I would report that guy back. Unless you've already deleted the messages, then you don't have any evidence. If I send a message, I usually don't write anything too nasty. Like recently, had this guy with a 689 win streak and only 1 loss. Was already pretty obvious from the very beginning he would disconnect at the very end of the match. Told him to get a life. That's about it.

I will report him after my ban expires, as I cannot do it now.
I know that I deserved a ban as he managed to provoke me (which usually does not happen).

I wasn't even mad 'cos he insulted me.
I was mad 'cos I really like the game and I only play against the players who are better then me, as I think that it is the only way to get better. And this guy did not want to play against me, as he lost once.

The funny thing is that I was following the guy on a replay channel (Evil Ryu is my secondary) and I never seen him beat anyone above 5000 points.

I'm in a rush to leave so I can't peruse this whole thread.

Can someone tell me if the 360 version is out yet? I know sometimes they go up early but you have to hunt them down.

TheFightingFish said:
So I don't play Super Turbo or HDR. What exactly was the end result of all the tweaks from Sirlin? Was overall balance better or did the tiers just shift around a bit? I just trying to figure out if folks are mad because he changed things or because he actually made balance / gameplay worse.

If there is anything to be properly angry over HDR, it's the horrible online play. Sirlin does take more than his fair share of blame for the game flopping. He doesn't help the situation by piling on more successful games as hurting the gaming scene somehow.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sirlin is horrible, I knew it about 1/3rds of the way through that playing to win book. Pure ego and talk - but that's all it takes to become successful nowadays. He became an "authority on game design" by writing articles and rebalancing other peoples' games. Sorry guy but I'd rather listen to the people who made the games in the first place.

HDR was horribly mismanaged and was forgotten 2 months after it came out in favor of SF4. I guess that's why he is working on self-published card games. Good luck to him though, I mean that sincerely.

If you didnt preorder dont buy it directly from new releases! Go to the play tab and you can still get it with the Gill unlock DLC and for the discount PSN+ price. (If you have it)

giancarlo123x said:
If you didnt preorder dont buy it directly from new releases! Go to the play tab and you can still get it with the Gill unlock DLC and for the discount PSN+ price. (If you have it)
thanks for the heads up, I'll let my friend know

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
diffusionx said:
Sirlin is horrible, I knew it about 1/3rds of the way through that playing to win book. Pure ego and talk - but that's all it takes to become successful nowadays. He became an "authority on game design" by writing articles and rebalancing other peoples' games. Sorry guy but I'd rather listen to the people who made the games in the first place.

HDR was horribly mismanaged and was forgotten 2 months after it came out in favor of SF4. I guess that's why he is working on self-published card games. Good luck to him though, I mean that sincerely.

I think that's a little bit harsh. Some of Sirlin's advice on gaming is good, including him sticking to real definitions of stuff like "scrubby play" instead of the warped usage we see today. (aka "scrub" is anyone whose play you don't like, or a newb, etc).

His card games are quite good IMHO; Yomi is very good. He does seem to understand game design theory at levels deeper than half of the hacks who make games in the industry itself.

I feel his real character flaw is mostly when he gets a head of steam up about something he thinks is "wrong", which can devolve in a curious blend of egoizing and whining. (See: his obsession with the way characters jump in SFIV, his refusal to accept that the concept of parries is legitimate, etc. But shit, pro designers who have real ability get on their hobby horses and disagree about stuff like that all the time.)

_dementia said:
thanks for the heads up, I'll let my friend know
No problem, I put it in my cart and was just about to buy it till I clicked the Play tab and noticed the reduced price. I wish it came with the theme still, oh well.

SkylineRKR

h3ro said:
Just messed around with the HK PSN demo.

For those that care about this thing, the game defaults to 720p. Yes it was going to be upscaled regardless, but I prefer when the game is 1080p native just for the crisp menus, etc.

Also, the game continues a long tradition of Capcom games not supporting Dolby Digital sound. Like HDR and BioCom Rearmed, my surround unit isn't picking up a lossless or DD/DTS signal from the game. I know there aren't any surround effects, but I would have liked the encoding for the higher bitrates. Not sure what the out put is though, I'm sure someone with a better receiver will know.

What filter is everyone playing with?

I found Smooth/Widescreen the most pleasing. Just for kicks, turning scanlines on was fun. Purists can keep 4:3, I'll take the thin bars on the side of Widescreen. Stretched makes the characters and stages look too warped.

Either way, I'll be picking this one up. Excited to try this out as it will be the first time I play SFIII with any modicum of skill. Wish XBL updated today!

Same setup as you, I was surprised by the graphics of this port. Its not all that blocky and distorted on my Plasma. Looks good.

Sometimes I go 4:3 with scanlines for pure arcade nostalgia.

Morris

Disco Devil
Installing!

So yah, if anyone is still looking for a PSN GAF Chat invite just add me (floydnova), QisTopTier, Prototype-03 or SephirothRK !

Top Bottom