• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Owensboro said:
So here's a fun question that I'm sure every fighting game player is going to laugh when I ask it: How in the hell do you actually do a 360 without accidentally jumping? I have never, ever, ever been good at them and mostly just connect out of luck. It was the main reason I never tried to pick up Zangief or Hakan. Hell, I went into practice and just tried over and over to connect with Hakan's 360 super and couldn't do it to save my life.
3S is pretty lenient with 360 motions. I main Hugo and it's just a matter of whipping the stick from towards all the way around till your about at up/towards and hitting punch. It's more about the quick wrist snap then being super precise. You develop this little "hook" at the end of the motion after practice.

Edit: for 720 motion, you have to be creative. Buffer one 360 into moves like a standing LK then complete the motion right after to Gigas for example. Buffering from a dash works great though I still can't get it out perfect every time.

RS4-

I've always done my 360s as a full circle (clockwise from 6 to 6 [on numpad or 3 to 3 on clock]), aside from ST, I can be pretty casual and slow about it and still get SPDs out and such.

For ST, I just have to be a bit faster but still don't have any problems.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable; whether you go clockwise, counter cw, starting from down or forward or back.

Also keep in mind that in capcom games, you don't have to do an actual 360, you only need a 270, meaning you can input back, downback, down, down-forward, forward, up-forward, then up for the 360 motion. If it's a 720, the first rotation must be a full 360, but the 2nd can be a 270.

.la1n

Wizpig said:
I think i'll update my Xbox Live bio saying "don't hate on me, I main Chun-Li in every Capcom fight game, be it Tatsunoko, MVC 3 or SF 4".

It's not like i'll use her in SF 3 because she's strong... just because i like her.
Damn it, i hope they don't ban Chun in every non-ranked mode.

btw i'll still eat shit

As a side character i want to try Q :3 or Remy.

Ah don't worry too much. I have always used Chun as my main since back in the SFII days in arcades. Just have fun playing the character. Like any fighting game, you can either have fun with it or obsess to the point that you make the community unplayable online for anyone remotely interested as a newcomer.

PSN: ryuoshin if you wanna do some Chun matches.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
.la1n said:
Ah don't worry too much. I have always used Chun as my main since back in the SFII days in arcades. Just have fun playing the character. Like any fighting game, you can either have fun with it or obsess to the point that you make the community unplayable online for anyone remotely interested as a newcomer.

PSN: ryuoshin if you wanna do some Chun matches.

Me too...

...except in 3s, lol. I used Elena and Hugo instead. Might use Chun now though.

Owensboro said:
So here's a fun question that I'm sure every fighting game player is going to laugh when I ask it: How in the hell do you actually do a 360 without accidentally jumping? I have never, ever, ever been good at them and mostly just connect out of luck. It was the main reason I never tried to pick up Zangief or Hakan. Hell, I went into practice and just tried over and over to connect with Hakan's 360 super and couldn't do it to save my life.

Do it either during a jump or another attack. Or in the case of SFIV just do qcf,uf. Really useful, and REALLY damn annoying when it comes out when you don't want it to >__>

I dont know who to main. I never played this game competitively before due to no online or tourny scene around here. I was thinking maybe Ibuki. Im going to be in the lab a lot in this game. Ill probably jumped straight into online with Ryu. I cant wait any longer!

Fersis said:
You know what? Gootecks and Mike Ross Excellent Adventures are going to be damn awesome.

THERE YOU GO GOOTECKSSSS !!!
Yeah, I hope they play this game.

Gooteck had a sick Urien a very long time ago.

shinbojan

Banned
I am quite possibly, The Stupidest Man on Earth :p.

I preordered Third Strike and could not wait until it goes live on UK PSN.
I downloaded demo from HK and played it for few hours. The game is excellent!

A Few minutes ago I checked my emails and found this:

On 22/08/2011, we noted that your online activity in XMB Messaging was in
serious breach of the PLAYSTATION®Network Terms & Conditions for the
following reason(s): Harrassment.

As a result of this unacceptable behaviour, your PLAYSTATION®Network
account has been suspended for 7 days.

I was playing AE last night and asked the guy who kept kicking me after I beat his Evil Ryu(I think that he is no.1 or no.2 ER on PSN) why he keeps doing that and why he cares about points so much.
He replied with an insult to which I replied with equally insulting message and blocked him after that.
Well, it seems that he really wanted to ruin my day :).

Well, it seems that I will have to go back to Tekken 6 for a few days...

GeoNeo

I disagree.
The alt colours were made during the old DC port.

This is not the same base game this time they used the arcade board romset and built around it - so It could be the first true arcade perfect port of 3rd Strike (If that is the case still remains to be seen but whatever.)

I'm guessing that is why the alt colours don't seem to be in atm.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Man, Sirlin talking mad trash on haunts, wtf?

http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2011/8/22/the-anti-progress-attitude.html

I get the people that want the game rebalanced, but guess what, then youre not re-releasing the game AT ALL. Fans wanted 3rd Strike Online and thats what this game is. if you rebalance it then you no longer have that, you would have a 4th strike, meaning its a new game, meaning a shitload of other things have to happen (starting with a lot more money and resources that are not available)

3rd Strike managed to survive for 10 years in the competitive scene, its a fucking success!

I dont see anybody wishing Mario jumped higher every time they re-release Mario Bros. 2. Its a flawed argument and he only uses that p.o.v. to make his own games sound good.

I know its a tired argument but damn, this shit pisses me off.

Owensboro

bob_arctor said:
3S is pretty lenient with 360 motions. I main Hugo and it's just a matter of whipping the stick from towards all the way around till your about at up/towards and hitting punch. It's more about the quick wrist snap then being super precise. You develop this little "hook" at the end of the motion after practice.

Edit: for 720 motion, you have to be creative. Buffer one 360 into moves like a standing LK then complete the motion right after to Gigas for example. Buffering from a dash works great though I still can't get it out perfect every time.

Well, that whole "having to buffer for a 720" thing would explain why I was getting so incredibly pissed off while trying them. I still suck at general 360's though. Maybe I'm just not rotating the stick fast enough or something. Every time I hit an upwards diagonal (7 or 9) I jump, or get flustered thinking I'm going to jump so I mash an attack. So if I was going (6,3,2,1,4,7,8,9) I jump on the 7 and just get pissed. Should I just be going as fast as possible, and hit the attack button on (9)?

LakeEarth

explodet said:
I wonder what percentage of increased hate mail will be generated from those who don't know about the taunt stat increases?
If you watch the full match of Evo Moment #37, you hear a few people laughing every time Daigo did a taunt. So more people don't know this than you would think.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Raging Spaniard said:

I get the people that want the game rebalanced, but guess what, then youre not re-releasing the game AT ALL. Fans wanted 3rd Strike Online and thats what this game is. if you rebalance it then you no longer have that, you would have a 4th strike, meaning its a new game, meaning a shitload of other things have to happen (starting with a lot more money and resources that are not available)

3rd Strike managed to survive for 10 years in the competitive scene, its a fucking success!

I dont see anybody wishing Mario jumped higher every time they re-release Mario Bros. 2. Its a flawed argument and he only uses that p.o.v. to make his own games sound good.

wtf sirlin got damn you salty

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Raging Spaniard said:

Kinda funny cuz haunts is one of the most hard working guys in the FGC.
As i said: Sirlin is a smart but he totally missed the point on 3S OE.

MThanded said:
wtf sirlin got damn you salty
Yeah we had a long talk about this last night.. and twitter is blowin' up too. :3

Wizpig said:
Today is the first episode of Crosscounter Live so Gootecks and MR will probably talk about this.
Gootecks and MR live? OH GOD YES!

MThanded

Characters can be banned online. Thats good enough for me.

Sirlin needs to be on that Serenity Now tip

GeoNeo said:
The alt colours were made during the old DC port.

This is not the same base game this time they used the arcade board romset and built around it - so It could be the first true arcade perfect port of 3rd Strike (If that is the case still remains to be seen but whatever.)

I'm guessing that is why the alt colours don't seem to be in atm.

google found this post on srk, but I don't know if true.
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...trike-online-edition-dlc.142814/#post-5691503

edit: and here too
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/jun/08/street-fighter-3-online-editions-producer-talks-shop/

Still doesn't say how to access it.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
ROFL FUCK SIRLIN

THAT FUCKING HAWAIIAN SHIRT WEARING PRICK IS THE REASON ST IS ALMOST DEAD

honestly the only people that even like that fucking prick is his band of merry dick riders that slurp up his cum and nod and smile at everything he says

again fuck sirlin for killing ST and now fuck sirlin for trying to kill another game which this time (THANKFULLY) he has no involvement in

MThanded

shinbojan said:
I am quite possibly, The Stupidest Man on Earth :p.

I preordered Third Strike and could not wait until it goes live on UK PSN.
I downloaded demo from HK and played it for few hours. The game is excellent!

A Few minutes ago I checked my emails and found this:

On 22/08/2011, we noted that your online activity in XMB Messaging was in
serious breach of the PLAYSTATION®Network Terms & Conditions for the
following reason(s): Harrassment.

As a result of this unacceptable behaviour, your PLAYSTATION®Network
account has been suspended for 7 days.

I was playing AE last night and asked the guy who kept kicking me after I beat his Evil Ryu(I think that he is no.1 or no.2 ER on PSN) why he keeps doing that and why he cares about points so much.
He replied with an insult to which I replied with equally insulting message and blocked him after that.
Well, it seems that he really wanted to ruin my day :).

Well, it seems that I will have to go back to Tekken 6 for a few days...

damn

V_Arnold

GeoNeo said:
ROFL FUCK SIRLIN

honestly the only people that even like that fucking prick is his band of merry dick riders that slurp up his cum and nod and smile at everything he says

again fuck sirlin for killing ST and now fuck sirlin for trying to kill another game which this time (THANKFULLY) he has no involvement in

This was painful to even read. I do not wanna have your feelings.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
"There's a problem: 3s is one of the worst balanced fighting games around. I mean that literally. It's hard to even come up with worse balanced fighting game than it, yet if you throw a stick at a pile of fighting games, you'll hit a better balanced game. James Chen had this to say in 2008 about the Evolution tournament results:

Street Fighter III: Third Strike - This year [2008], in the Top 8, we had Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, and Yun. In 2007, we had Chun, Chun, Chun, and Chun. In 2006, we had Yun, Yun, Yun, Yun, Chun, Chun, and Chun. In 2005, we had Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, Yun, and Yun. I don't think there's anything left to say about this game."

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GeoNeo said:
ROFL FUCK SIRLIN

Easy there good fella'

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
What bothers me is using somebody you know as a tool to advertise yourself and your talents. The whole point of his articles is always to trash something popular and then end with "in MY game that IM designing, its gonna be awesome and not lame like this!"

Promoting yourself is not something that should be done by talking shit about other people and their attitudes or products, get judged and noticed based on your own merits. Otherwise youll find that in this extremely small industry youre not gonna have a lot of friends.

V_Arnold

Yoshichan said:
"There's a problem: 3s is one of the worst balanced fighting games around. I mean that literally. It's hard to even come up with worse balanced fighting game than it, yet if you throw a stick at a pile of fighting games, you'll hit a better balanced game. James Chen had this to say in 2008 about the Evolution tournament results:

Street Fighter III: Third Strike - This year [2008], in the Top 8, we had Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, and Yun. In 2007, we had Chun, Chun, Chun, and Chun. In 2006, we had Yun, Yun, Yun, Yun, Chun, Chun, and Chun. In 2005, we had Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, Chun, Yun, and Yun. I don't think there's anything left to say about this game."

And he is literally eaten alive by people saying "nobody likes the games you like".
It is amazing how much rage one person can hold over the internet. Amazing. And even go against the act of balancing itself.

I just cannot imagine ANYONE who plays SF3:3S:OE:Imaginary Balance DLC where the top 2 was slightly nerfed super-wise, and other chars recieved some buffs, goes into some player matches, plays against 10-15 different chars every time, and says after a week: "man, I gotta go back to the bullshit old one where all we did was mirrors. Go for it!".

No, just not possible.

Raging Spaniard said:
What bothers me is using somebody you know as a tool to advertise yourself and your talents. The whole point of his articles is always to trash something popular and then end with "in MY game that IM designing, its gonna be awesome and not lame like this!"

Promoting yourself is not something that should be done by talking shit about other people and their attitudes or products, get judged and noticed based on your own merits. Otherwise youll find that in this extremely small industry youre not gonna have a lot of friends.

Well, when I saw something like "CHESS 2" (really? I will come up with Go2, guys! 6 colors now, and a secret +10 point hole in the board!), it was a bit frustrating, but his points are perfectly well articulated even without any "this is what I make" references.

Or maybe I am biased too as I am trying to develop strategy games too, and the balancing itself is really important for me, to learn and to do both.

GeoNeo said:
ROFL FUCK SIRLIN

zocl1.gif

El Sloth

Banned
GeoNeo said:
ROFL FUCK SIRLIN

Damn, dude. You need to calm down and take deep breath.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
V_Arnold said:
This was painful to even read. I do not wanna have your feelings.

:)

Don't worry many people in the community feel the same way I do about that prick.

Raging Spaniard said:

He is a shameless hack and a complete wanker. You should have seen him shit on his whole dev team pretty much to make himself look better after HDR.

mattp said:
US psn updates on wednesdays

edit: or not! shit. i didnt know it was tonight!

Europe PSN is on wednesdays, different times for every country. I'm getting the US copy though since the dollar value is cheaper :D (and i hope it does not have region locked online)

Raging Spaniard

V_Arnold said:
Well, when I saw something like "CHESS 2" (really? I will come up with Go2, guys! 6 colors now, and a secret +10 point hole in the board!), it was a bit frustrating, but his points are perfectly well articulated even without any "this is what I make" references.

Or maybe I am biased too as I am trying to develop strategy games too, and the balancing itself is really important for me, to learn and to do both.

I think a 4th Strike is something we would all want, actually :) There is something to be said for 3S being so popular even if its endgame is unbalanced, its just really fun to play for most people at most skill levels. Also, the middle tier is very, very big.

If you cant relate to that, thats fine, but I'll play with my middle tier characters and have a blast, and thats what a lot of people want anyways.

Top Bottom