• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

GringoJB

Holy crap... the work day cannot possibly end soon enough! Big thanks for all of the links in the OP (tutorial videos and such) which I'll be watching on the sly for the next three hours...

Honestly, I'm just psyched to kick back and spectate a lot tonight, especially some of the folks from overseas... freaking sweet...

RS4-

Wonko_C said:
The trial says use jumping roundhouse, though.

OMG at the quality of the stream and 60 fps at that.

Wait a minute... he just did it and I missed iiiiiiiiiit!

Yeah sorry, I couldn't remember which kick they were supposed to use.

RS4- said:
Yeah sorry, I couldn't remember which kick they were supposed to use.
After you air parry during a neutral jump then attack, the jump forward/back version of the normal attack comes out instead of the neutral jump version. Maybe that threw you off?

Owensboro

I am completely, absolutely, unflinchingly terrified of downloading this game. I am complete ass at Street Fighter 4 (I main Dudley because he's awesome, keep around a 10-15% win rate....yeah, I know) and all I ever hear about this game is how it's the "Fighting game for the Hardcore". Do I have any hope GAF?

Is there a newb support group up? A bunch of other scrubs I can play against (you will get free wins!). PSN = Owens-boro . God, maybe I should just stick to SFIV:AE... (If you want free wins there, hit me up too!).

GringoJB

Owensboro said:
I am completely, absolutely, unflinchingly terrified of downloading this game. I am complete ass at Street Fighter 4 (I main Dudley because he's awesome, keep around a 10-15% win rate....yeah, I know) and all I ever hear about this game is how it's the "Fighting game for the Hardcore". Do I have any hope GAF?

Is there a newb support group up? A bunch of other scrubs I can play against (you will get free wins!). PSN = Owens-boro . God, maybe I should just stick to SFIV:AE... (If you want free wins there, hit me up too!).

No worries man, you sound like my bizarro-world fighting game double ;-) I love them and have played since the 90s but I have zero time to get anywhere near as good as people online are! So playing online is a mix of "OMG this is exciting and awesome" and "Wow, I want to hang myself".

Anyway, my PSN = GringoJB if you want (or anyone else scrubtastic wants) to hit me up!

Grokbu

Owensboro said:
Of course! For one: You can always get better.
Secondly: There are lots of fighting games, and some might click better with you than others.

zlatko

Banned
Owensboro said:

Lot of new terrible players coming into this, and a few newbies in GAF as well, so you can try to learn with them/play with them. Get a friend or two to download it as well and just play together for funsies/casually.

If the game interests you, then you should buy it on principle for the $15.00 to send a message to Capcom to do future projects like this and help let them know GGPO matters.

Will you be better at this than SF4? That all depends on you and how much time you put into it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Toshin said:
Since tintin went off the air...anymore streams for 3sO happening yet? :)
Did he finished that damn trial? :p

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Owensboro said:

You're looking at this all wrong. You main Dudley in AE. Dudley in 3S is approximately 8,000% more awesome than any version of Dudley you've played. You should be dancing in the streets.

h3ro

Is the ability to switch the remixed soundtrack to the original available off the bat or is it an unlock? If it is an unlock, is it a relatively quick one?

Dudley mix.. :(

lupinko

notworksafe said:
Yes. It's not as deep or intense as the 3S hardcore would have you think.

Just pick Chun and use fierce punch with occasional forward kick (hard punch and medium kick respectively for you youngins) xx SA2.

Dachande

Downloading the Japanese demo from PSN just so I can get a taste. :(

Fuck's sake SCEE, why can't you update the same time as everywhere else?

Owensboro

Thanks for the responses notworksafe, GringoJB, Grokbu, and zlatko. I'm most definitely leaning towards downloading it, but I am fully prepared to get my butt handed to me over and over (and over and over and over and....you get the idea).

I hear Dudley plays completely different from SSFIV, so should I switch to someone else or stick it out with him? I'd almost like to try out Q just because he looks fun, and Hugo because I've always wanted to get good with a grappling character in any fighting game (I've never been good with up-close characters). I wish I had the time to just go through character by character and play around, unfortunately my time for gaming is severely limited thanks to stupid responsibilities like keeping my job / gym visits / having a social life.

DjangoReinhardt said:
You're looking at this all wrong. You main Dudley in AE. Dudley in 3S is approximately 8,000% more awesome than any version of Dudley you've played. You should be dancing in the streets.

So I should stick with Dudley? Oh man oh man oh man oh man.

oracrest

Owensboro said:

Just take some time to focus on parry timing, using the practice mode. Even practicing parries during real fights is a big helper.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Owensboro said:

No. You will get destroyed (I will too, so I'm not wagging e-peen here). On the bright side, if you are happy with your 10% win rate, a 5% win rate won't be so bad right?

Filth

FYI to everyone that's new. Taunting during a match actually adds stats to your character. For example 3 taunts with q and you get a shit shit shit ton of defense.

explodet

Philooch said:
Taunting during a match actually adds stats to your character. For example 3 taunts with q and you get a shit shit shit ton of defense.
I wonder what percentage of increased hate mail will be generated from those who don't know about the taunt stat increases?

Duress

Taking this one

CGEYw.jpg

Wizpig

I think i'll update my Xbox Live bio saying "don't hate on me, I main Chun-Li in every Capcom fight game, be it Tatsunoko, MVC 3 or SF 4".

It's not like i'll use her in SF 3 because she's strong... just because i like her.
Damn it, i hope they don't ban Chun in every non-ranked mode.

btw i'll still eat shit

As a side character i want to try Q :3 or Remy.

RS4-

Philooch said:
Lyle FYI to everyone that's new. Taunting during a match actually adds stats to your character. For example 3 taunts with q and you get a shit shit shit ton of defense.

It was always hilarious when people were offended by taunts after the end of rounds.

Fersis said:
Whats in the demo? Ryu Vs Ken?
For 2p versus Ibuki, Ryu, and Dudley. You can also play the first 5 fights or so in Arcade. Has the first 5 challenges in Parry, Ibuki, Ryu, and Dudley. In versus it doesnt kick you to the menu after you finish a match so you can rematch as much as you want. You can also pick any stage. I say its a pretty great demo.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
giancarlo123x said:
For 2p versus Ibuki, Ryu, and Dudley. You can also play the first 5 fights or so in Arcade. Has the first 5 challenges in Parry, Ibuki, Ryu, and Dudley. In versus it doesnt kick you to the menu after you finish a match so you can rematch as much as you want. You can also pick any stage. I say its a pretty great demo.
Yup really meaty.

Cant wait to download the full game tonight.
Urien Scrub Army +1

I started playing Hugo after visiting a Japanese arcade and getting demolished by him (2001). Mid punch is your friend, practice those 360:s, and never, ever use a low strong punch. Also, abusing the air takedown is a good way to make scrubs very afraid of jumping, even more so if you have the super.

To be honest, I get crushed most of the time with Hugo. But I have a great time even so.

Owensboro said:
Thanks for the responses notworksafe, GringoJB, Grokbu, and zlatko. I'm most definitely leaning towards downloading it, but I am fully prepared to get my butt handed to me over and over (and over and over and over and....you get the idea).

I hear Dudley plays completely different from SSFIV, so should I switch to someone else or stick it out with him? I'd almost like to try out Q just because he looks fun, and Hugo because I've always wanted to get good with a grappling character in any fighting game (I've never been good with up-close characters). I wish I had the time to just go through character by character and play around, unfortunately my time for gaming is severely limited thanks to stupid responsibilities like keeping my job / gym visits / having a social life.

ShaneB

Owensboro said:

Eh, stick with Dudley, he kicks butt in 3S and you've already got a familiar base to work from, at least in my opinion. In general, just play whoever is fun :)

Also, watch the videos mentioned in the OP. 3S has been around for years, so there are plenty of amazing resources and tutorials, from beginner to expert.

Fersis

Do you have to do real 360s or with tiger knees is enough? (Like SFIV)

Owensboro

SiegfriedFM said:
I started playing Hugo after visiting a Japanese arcade and getting demolished by him (2001). Mid punch is your friend, practice those 360:s, and never, ever use a low strong punch. Also, abusing the air takedown is a good way to make scrubs very afraid of jumping, even more so if you have the super.

To be honest, I get crushed most of the time with Hugo. But I have a great time even so.
So here's a fun question that I'm sure every fighting game player is going to laugh when I ask it: How in the hell do you actually do a 360 without accidentally jumping? I have never, ever, ever been good at them and mostly just connect out of luck. It was the main reason I never tried to pick up Zangief or Hakan. Hell, I went into practice and just tried over and over to connect with Hakan's 360 super and couldn't do it to save my life.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'll be maining Ken, and I won't apologize for it. :p Used him since SFII and have mained him in every game that he's been in.

notworksafe said:
Yes. It's not as deep or intense as the 3S hardcore would have you think.
Yeah I'm pretty terrible to casual decent at fighting games (NWS can attest to this :/) and 3S is very easy to pick up and play. It's also the most fun I've had in a fighting game; ever. So get on it.

Owensboro said:
well hit me up on PSN... I haven't played this game in a good number of years so we can be free together.

Owensboro said:

Do NOT be terrified, 3s is an easy game to pick up and is no harder to play at functional level than any other fighting game, if anything you'll have an easier time learning this since it doesn't have all the links that 4 pushes.

The only people that say it's the fighting game for the hardcore are 3s fanatics. The real hardcore game of that generation is CvS2 since it has a ridiculous execution barrier.

Buy 3s, ignore what the fanatics say since they're not too keen with the actual fighting game scene, and enjoy the game, it's really fun!

edit - the only thing to keep in mind though is if you play online the userbase will be more than likely 50% new players, and 50% 3s fanatics that have been playing the game for 10 years, so if you run into the latter it might be a little rough

Fersis

You know what? Gootecks and Mike Ross Excellent Adventures are going to be damn awesome.

THERE YOU GO GOOTECKSSSS !!!

Top Bottom