• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

GGPO just raped me. I clearly beat a guy, the game said KO and I heard his yell. Then it rolled back and I got a Super and I died. It was the same wtf feeling I got when I heard Sega doing Shenmue online.

SolarKnight said:
Speaking of odd choices, why did they even make all of the menus black/gray? It would fit Mortal Kombat, but it doesn't fit SF at all, much less 3S =/

Totally. What's up with that?

Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:
GGPO just raped me. I clearly beat a guy, the game said KO and I heard his yell. Then it rolled back and I got a Super and I died. It was the same wtf feeling I got when I heard Sega doing Shenmue online.

But isn't GGPO the answer for everything? Isn't an online fighter worthless if the online doesn't use GGPO?!? /sarcasm

The 10 FPS Backbone inspired menus are janky. The newjack intro music is lame compared to the original. The rapper in the original 3rd Strike was tremendous- really cool shit. That guy had gravitas. Why replace it with a pale imitation when you already had the real thing? Removing the original intro cinematic is another strange choice.

I waited a few minutes for a ranked match before bailing.

The stretched upscaled static screens look decent but... stretched. Kind of ruins it.

The achievement progress flashing on the side of the screen is another strange choice. I didn't find the option to turn it off, but I only had a minute or so to play around with options.

My first impressions are not good.

The problem with GGPO rolling back so severely is only really noticeable if you have a crappy connection. It's a more reliable way of keeping the game in sync, without controller lag and across greater distances, but when the game has to rollback because one or both connections went to hell, this is what happens.

I still want to know what magic ASW uses for their online because BB is still the goddamned king, GGPO or anything else.

kissenger

Banned
Honestly, this version is fucking terrible. The core game is obviously good, but this menu system/matchmaking system is a clusterfuck.

I wouldn't recommend buying this to anyone. I'll probably stop playing it in a couple days. Disappointing to say the least.

Wonko_C

Great. My friend who is playing this for the first time is giving me an aneurysm with his troll-ish opinions on the game, this after convincing him to get the game telling him it's the best SF game ever made.

The most technical game my ass, this thing is MUGEN, Yang doesn't even let me touch the floor, and the controls suck I cant sometimes pull out a hadoken unlike in SF4. It's like the game is not emulated properly or something.

I don't care how much you love this crap, it's just SFIV but made worse, SNES-ified or something. Enjoy your shitty game with lag.

Rage. Building Up. To Critical Levels. :mad:

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
All the complaining really sounds like exaggeration and nit picking. All I wanted out of this was online play w/spectating and 3s gameplay. That's it. If they deliver those, it's worth what I'm paying for it. Netcode is a big issue, and if there are real legitimate problems (and not just people with fisher price internet), then hopefully they'll patch it soon.

Wonko_C said:
Great. My friend who is playing this for the first time is giving me an aneurysm with his troll-ish opinions on the game, this after convincing him to get the game telling him it's the best SF game ever made.

Tell your friend to stop being terrible at Street Fighter. SFIV made him lazy. I hate people who complain like this when their execution is fucking atrocious.

Grokbu

If you like playing in 2-4 player rooms or something with random people, this version might be annoying.

If you play with 1-2 people on your FL, it becomes easier to keep the player numbers down.

Another thing that makes it annoying playing with random people is the fact that Gill isn't banned by default. -.-

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Damn. I'm looking hard to see what I can trade in to get Live Gold & points. Look at my DS Lite, just sitting there, unplayed for months now. Oh man. But that Aliens game looks dope. But wait, my daughter has a DS Lite. Can always play on hers. But wait, it's in terrible shape and my polar white launch one is pristine. Oh man. Third Strike, what are you doing to me??

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Grokbu said:
If you like playing in 2-4 player rooms or something with random people, this version might be annoying.

If you play with 1-2 people on your FL, it becomes easier to keep the player numbers down.

Another thing that makes it annoying playing with random people is the fact that Gill isn't banned by default. -.-

I don't really see how. Create a room with 4 private slots. Is it an ideal situation? No, but I don't see it as a gamebreaker. Maybe they can patch it down the line to display # of private slots in a lobby, but otherwise it is functionally the same thing. People will just have to join lobbies based on the current number of players rather than the total number of slots.

ScOULaris

Surely I can't be the only one who likes the new title track. It's far less annoying than the original, and I find myself replaying it in my head throughout the day.

Kn- Kn- Kn- Kn- KNOCK. YOU. OUT! :)

Grokbu

GuardianE said:
I don't really see how. Create a room with 4 private slots. Is it an ideal situation? No, but I don't see it as a gamebreaker. Maybe they can patch it down the line to display # of private slots in a lobby, but otherwise it is functionally the same thing. People will just have to join lobbies based on the current number of players rather than the total number of slots.
The thing is, as far as I understand. You can't decide how many players can join a lobby. It's always max (8). But you can set how many private slots you want.
If you set private slots to 3, you can have 3 friends and the rest is filled with randoms.

EDIT: Ohhh. You meant that you can enter private slots as a pseudo player limiting. Smart. :p

kitzkozan

kissenger said:
Honestly, this version is fucking terrible. The core game is obviously good, but this menu system/matchmaking system is a clusterfuck.

I wouldn't recommend buying this to anyone. I'll probably stop playing it in a couple days. Disappointing to say the least.

Nope, this is a perfect example of overreaction. The core game isn't just good, it's great imo. :) The menu/UI is nowhere near that bad, but I have a CTR still and it's pretty much the original game. :p This version has a lot of things that were lacking in previous version or even any other modern Capcom FG. It doesn't have a couple of things like fight request while you play arcade mode, but nothing is perfect anyway.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Grokbu said:
The thing is, as far as I understand. You can't decide how many players can join a lobby. It's always max (8). But you can set how many private slots you want.
If you set private slots to 3, you can have 3 friends and the rest is filled with randoms.

Well, you can have three friends, or you can just have three empty slots that will forever remain empty, effectively giving you a 5 player lobby for randoms.

EDIT: Your edit beat my post. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
patrickthehedgehog said:
But isn't GGPO the answer for everything? Isn't an online fighter worthless if the online doesn't use GGPO?!? /sarcasm
GGPO is designed to attempt to lock down game speed as much as possible, which runs into problems if the connection quality simply isn't sufficient to allow this. This is in contrast to BlazBlue/Arcana Heart netcode which is more flexible with game speed to provide a more playable experience, but if you have an iffy connection you're still going to be a little underwater and it won't be the same pace, fluidity, and timing as offline even though it's a league above SF4 and MVC netcode.

Man, this GGPO netcode.

Been playing players matches for a couple hours. There is too much stuttering, and teleporting and phasing around. There is no lag, but this stuff is annoying.

Like I just played this Alex player. He magically teleported in front of me and Hyperbombed me. And I played a Necro a few minutes ago, and it was like the Benny Hill song in match. We kept skipping around the screen, lol.

I don' t have a super crap connection (it's 3.16 mbps upload), so I don't know why it is doing this. Some matches are better than others of course.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wonko_C said:

Get a new friend. This one is obviously broken.

Grokbu

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Man, this GGPO netcode.

Been playing players matches for a couple hours. There is too much stuttering, and teleporting and phasing around. There is no lag, but this stuff is annoying.

Like I just played this Alex player. He magically teleported in front of me and Hyperbombed me. And I played a Necro a few minutes ago, and it was like the Benny Hill song in match. We kept skipping around the screen, lol.

I don' t have a super crap connection (it's 3.16 mbps upload), so I don't know why it is doing this. Some matches are better than others of course.
Perhaps they had crap connections, or lived far away from you?

kissenger

Banned
kitzkozan said:
Nope, this is a perfect example of overreaction. The core game isn't just good, it's great imo. :) The menu/UI is nowhere near that bad, but I have a CTR still and it's pretty much the original game. :p This version has a lot of things that were lacking in previous version or even any other modern Capcom FG. It doesn't have a couple of things like fight request while you play arcade mode, but nothing is perfect anyway.

Yeah, the more I play it the more I realise the core game is amazing. But yet again Capcom has fucked up and failed to transpose the best elements of their other fighting games into this one.

Spec mode and GGPO are good. But a ghetto training mode where you can't even record set-ups, 8 player force lobbies, lobbies which don't display banned characters or private slots in search menus, laggy lobby searches, a complete lack of matchmaking filters (e.g. by country/region, by lobby size), Youtube uploads which look like absolute shit... all that stuff is disappointing. Capcom are their own worst enemy. It amazes me how much they manage to sabotage their fighting games.

Mikhal

Loving this so far, and this is just a minor annoyance. But I hate that I can accidentally press the A button after a match and knock myself to the end of the line... Also don't like the fact that "Evo rules" sets the matches to 60 seconds.

vocab

GGPO netcode is fine when the other person isn't playing on tin can internet, and wireless stolen from some guy down the street. No netcode can mask dropped packets, and keep up with lack of speed transmission.

Also fuck Gamespy. It ruined matchmaking for me once again, and it's very unplayable. I think I'll go back to GGPO until they remove the game.

Posted yet? From Twitter looks like Fubarduck gives the thumbs up to timing on the 360 version. Shame to hear that about the PS3 version.

fubarduck Ryan Harvey

My verdict on 3SO: 360 timing offline feels very similar to arcade. PS3 on the same setup feels laggy. I think it's more than 1F. 360 FTW.

Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:

lol. That happened to me last night. I was having a hell of a match against someone way above my skill level, got a few psychic reads in and won. Then I lost.

kitzkozan

kissenger said:
Yeah, the more I play it the more I realise the core game is amazing. But yet again Capcom has fucked up and failed to transpose the best elements of their other fighting games into this one.

Spec mode and GGPO are good. But a ghetto training mode where you can't even record set-ups, 8 player force lobbies, lobbies which don't display banned characters or private slots in search menus, laggy lobby searches, a complete lack of matchmaking filters (e.g. by country/region, by lobby size), Youtube uploads which look like absolute shit... all that stuff is disappointing. Capcom are their own worst enemy. It amazes me how much they manage to sabotage their fighting games.

Capcom are their own worst enemy because of craptastic management right now. Hate Inafune all you want, but he knew what was going on before leaving and you can see all those fuck up in EVERY GAME they make right now. I'm sure Derek Neal wanted more for this game, but management has a huge influence on his game since: they are the one giving him the money. The less money for the project, less time for testing or squashing bug or polishing every options, etc.

That won't stop me from playing since this is a better game than any version of SFIV or MvC3 imo. ;)

Nabs

vocab said:
GGPO netcode is fine when the other person isn't playing on tin can internet, and wireless stolen from some guy down the street. No netcode can mask dropped packets, and keep up with lack of speed transmission.

Yeah, GGPO is great but it's not magic.

vocab said:
Also fuck Gamespy. It ruined matchmaking for me once again, and it's very unplayable. I think I'll go back to GGPO until they remove the game.
I don't want to be the one to break the news, but...

vocab

Nabs said:
Yep.

I don't want to be the one to break the news, but...

lol just checked. Back to Super turbo then! Also there's other ways to play 3S online via other means. I just won't talk about it here. This release is a disaster.

GrayFoxPL

Mechanized said:
lol. That happened to me last night. I was having a hell of a match against someone way above my skill level, got a few psychic reads in and won. Then I lost.

GGPO - Even if you win you lose!

MiniBossBattle said:
This. I can't crouch medium punch to srk. Protips?

I saw someone just talking about this on SRK. Here was the advice given:

OK, tip on getting those crouching to DPs down...

Let go of down as soon as you hit the button, then just DP as normal.
Then reason you're getting a super... The shortcut in this game for a double QCF motion is:
d, df, f, d, df

THUS, if you're hitting down+kick/punch, SLIDE to forward for the DP, and then finish it, you'll get a super instead.

Filth

GrayFoxPL said:
GGPO - Even if you win you lose!

GGPO - Even when you lose YOU WIN!

me and a couple of guys in the psn chat make lobbies and theres no lag for me whatsoever. theres been a few times in ranked where it was bad but overall im enjoying this game and im glad i can play it online.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can you change damage level in this game?

hertog said:
man :(
I'm pretty good at SSF4, but I'm struggling to get through the SF3 single player.
I don't dare to go online :(

It's really not the same. Gill on 3 star difficulty was probably harder than any player I've ran into online so far. lol

Top Bottom