• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

LakeEarth

Sp3eD said:
Yeah Gill is an overpowered POS. Even on 1 star he is cheap.
I created a "how to beat gill" post on SRK a long time ago:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/tricks-to-beat-ai-gill.14582/

To update it: For Hugo, if you can parry his jumping knee move (2 hits), you can do fierce palm into super 2.

The main trick to use is to knock Gill down, and then do something invincible just as he gets up. He'll always stick out a poke and thus will eat whatever you throw out there.

So so so good...4 hours played non stop, what an amazing game, 10 years later and still the best and most fun SF IMHO.

GGPO is godlike, smooth as silk.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
jling84 said:
People on my twitter are saying that the 360 version has input lag just like the PS3 version. Is this true?

Who are these people that are claiming that?

What Fubarduck has to say on the matter

fubarduck Ryan Harvey
My verdict on 3SO: 360 timing offline feels very similar to arcade. PS3 on the same setup feels laggy. I think it's more than 1F. 360 FTW.

Kioshen

LakeEarth said:
I created a "how to beat gill" post on SRK a long time ago:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/tricks-to-beat-ai-gill.14582/

To update it: For Hugo, if you can parry his jumping knee move (2 hits), you can do fierce palm into super 2.

The main trick to use is to knock Gill down, and then do something invincible just as he gets up. He'll always stick out a poke and thus will eat whatever you throw out there.

Oh i'll read that later for sure. This will save people a lot of headache.

I honestly don't feel too much input lag with the ps3 version. I feel like I might be doing some of my parries a little earlier than I used to but that's more of a ps2 -> arcade port issue in my eyes.

edit - Also, for all the love the control config gets, is there ANY way i can clear buttons??? I do not want my macros turned on! Seems like BB is still the only game to have done this right....

RS4-

biosnake20 said:
How the fuck do you just play against a guy in player match? I dont want to join a room of dudes.

Player match - create - private slots (8) - invite player

So as long as you or the other guy don't invite anyone else, you should be good to go

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
SarcasticD said:
Aris also said the 360 version is more close to arcade perfect than PS3 version

So basically, neither the 360 or PS3 version is arcade perfect.

WTF is this madness? Its 2011 and these machines/developers can't handle an arcade game from 1999? 3rd Strike is just THAT BAD ASS!

I am sorely tempted to get this even though I'm terrible at fighting games. The only thing keeping me from buying it is that I just moved and right now my internet connection is shit, so I would be dropping matches like crazy.

One less thing to spend money on, I suppose. I'll wait until my internet works properly.

jett

D-Member
Downloaded the demo to try itout. Seems to be good enough, thankfully the no-filter option truly has no smoothing of any kind.

BTW...those menus were designed by a programmer, weren't they? :p The presentation of this package is terrible.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Connection's been great so far for me. No teleporting,etc. There's a stun gun Alex runnin shit right now. My Hugo's gotten real close though. Loving this...

The Int3rsect said:
DAMN SF4 AND ITS LENIENT INPUTS!

Some things to keep in mind going to 3s

1 - The Dp shortcut is still there, but you have to start from DOWN, so if you input d, df, d, df + P then you get a dragon punch.

2 - The super shortcut in 3s is NOT the same as the super shortcut in sf4. In sf4 you can get super by doing d, df, d, df, f + button, in 3s it's qcf, d, df + P. You HAVE to complete the first qcf, but on the 2nd half all you need to do is d, df, if you have a square gate this is really easy to get a hang of as you just think of it as doing a circle then mashing the stick into the corner.

3 - If you want to carry your sf4 reversals to 3s..........anytime you want to reversal, parry first and THEN do your move, it's theoretically almost the same thing except you lose to throws, unless you OS it of course.. The reversal window in 4 is 5 frames, the parry window in 3s is 7 frames, so any time you want to throw out a risky reversal, just remember to parry first.

Couple of things that might help you out while playing the game.....

Footsy Parries - Off the top of my head, urien is the only exception I can think to this, but almost no characters can get big damage off a mid poke at whiff punish or max poke range in this game, so rule of thumb is if you want to try to parry a limb, risk/reward is always stacked towards a LOW parry at footsies, because cr. mk's lead to supers, then setup, then mixup, etc. etc.
TL;DR at footsies range parry low!

Throw techs - There's two ways most players tech in this game :

1 - Down Back + short + Jab, which gets you a tech if they throw, or a short if they don't. Keep in mind though that this will get you blown up by a low parry, but depending on your character and your crouch short's recovery, the other player might not necessarily get a big punish off it.

2 - Tap forward, slight wait + short + Jab - This gets you a throw animation (and thus a tech) if they throw or don't press a button, or a parry if they did a meaty mid. This will beat people doing nothing on your wake up trying to bait a button(they'll get thrown), a throw, and mids. Just be ready to either punish the mid if you parry, or if you get a read then continue the parry if they're chaining off the mid. This WILL get blown up by command grabs and back dashes, as the grab just straight beats it, and the back dash leaves you in throw whiff animation.

Parries!!

Beginner advice...don't parry too much! Just block and whiff punish! It's good! More often than not if you go up against an intermediate or advance player, they WILL option select a parry every chance they get, so just sitting back and punishing the whiff (as the OS dictates, if they don't get a parry, they get something else.) Backdashing on someone's wakeup is also good as lots of characters like to do (sf4 lingo here reversal ultra) attacks that lead to big damage off a parry. Ex - you have Oro knocked down, he's KILLING to land a close st. mp, so chances are on his wakeup he's going to lead off with a mid parry, hoping to catch something then cancel to his cl. st. mp. Backdashing and punishing here will beat him clean.

Well hopefully that helps peeps out a bit, anything else just ask yo! I may not agree with 3s mechanics and overall design in the context of it being a street fighter/fighting game, but in and of itself i think the game is fun, and it's not as hard to get over the learning barrier in this game as people make it out to be, it's pretty simple actually!

LakeEarth

Damn, I forgot what the trick was to beat Alex's who do shouldercharge into stungun. The blockstun prevents you from jumping, but there was a way around it. Does standing jab work?

EDIT - for secret taunt, do you mean the one where Poison comes out? In Anniversary Collection is was taunt while holding down.

Rain_ng

Banned
Ferrio said:
Ya isn't it just Up+HP+HK? Why can't you do it on Xbox?

Its Start + HP + HK in the Arcade, Replaced it with Back + HP + HK on X-Box and didn't put it in the DC one... Unless up worked as well?

RS4-

LakeEarth said:
Damn, I forgot what the trick was to beat Alex's who do shouldercharge into stungun. The blockstun prevents you from jumping, but there was a way around it. Does standing jab work?

EDIT - for secret taunt, do you mean the one where Poison comes out? In Anniversary Collection is was taunt while holding down.
Standing jab.

Ferrio

Banned
Rain_ng said:
Its Start + HP + HK in the Arcade, Replaced it with Back + HP + HK on X-Box and didn't put it in the DC one... Unless up worked as well?

I've always used UP in all the home versions... haven't tested it on arcade. Up works on PSN version for sure. Yes it was in DC version too if I recall correctly, might be getting it confused with anniversary edition.

Forget the input lenience, this is an easier game than SF4. Cancelling into supers is almost too easy (e.g. for a qcf super: jump in roundhouse, qcf+medium, qcf+k/p depending on super).

Top Bottom