• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Rain_ng

Banned
Ferrio said:
I've always used UP in all the home versions... haven't tested it on arcade. Up works on PSN version for sure. Yes it was in DC version too if I recall correctly, might be getting it confused with anniversary edition.

UP Works!!! Thanx! *Runs off to Poison Taunt while getting Perfected on Live*

FindMyFarms said:
Some things to keep in mind going to 3s

1 - The Dp shortcut is still there, but you have to start from DOWN, so if you input d, df, d, df + P then you get a dragon punch.

2 - The super shortcut in 3s is NOT the same as the super shortcut in sf4. In sf4 you can get super by doing d, df, d, df, f + button, in 3s it's qcf, d, df + P. You HAVE to complete the first qcf, but on the 2nd half all you need to do is d, df, if you have a square gate this is really easy to get a hang of as you just think of it as doing a circle then mashing the stick into the corner.

3 - If you want to carry your sf4 reversals to 3s..........anytime you want to reversal, parry first and THEN do your move, it's theoretically almost the same thing except you lose to throws, unless you OS it of course.. The reversal window in 4 is 5 frames, the parry window in 3s is 7 frames, so any time you want to throw out a risky reversal, just remember to parry first.

Couple of things that might help you out while playing the game.....

Footsy Parries - Off the top of my head, urien is the only exception I can think to this, but almost no characters can get big damage off a mid poke at whiff punish or max poke range in this game, so rule of thumb is if you want to try to parry a limb, risk/reward is always stacked towards a LOW parry at footsies, because cr. mk's lead to supers, then setup, then mixup, etc. etc.
TL;DR at footsies range parry low!

Throw techs - There's two ways most players tech in this game :

1 - Down Back + short + Jab, which gets you a tech if they throw, or a short if they don't. Keep in mind though that this will get you blown up by a low parry, but depending on your character and your crouch short's recovery, the other player might not necessarily get a big punish off it.

2 - Tap forward, slight wait + short + Jab - This gets you a throw animation (and thus a tech) if they throw or don't press a button, or a parry if they did a meaty mid. This will beat people doing nothing on your wake up trying to bait a button(they'll get thrown), a throw, and mids. Just be ready to either punish the mid if you parry, or if you get a read then continue the parry if they're chaining off the mid. This WILL get blown up by command grabs and back dashes, as the grab just straight beats it, and the back dash leaves you in throw whiff animation.

Parries!!

Beginner advice...don't parry too much! Just block and whiff punish! It's good! More often than not if you go up against an intermediate or advance player, they WILL option select a parry every chance they get, so just sitting back and punishing the whiff (as the OS dictates, if they don't get a parry, they get something else.) Backdashing on someone's wakeup is also good as lots of characters like to do (sf4 lingo here reversal ultra) attacks that lead to big damage off a parry. Ex - you have Oro knocked down, he's KILLING to land a close st. mp, so chances are on his wakeup he's going to lead off with a mid parry, hoping to catch something then cancel to his cl. st. mp. Backdashing and punishing here will beat him clean.

Well hopefully that helps peeps out a bit, anything else just ask yo! I may not agree with 3s mechanics and overall design in the context of it being a street fighter/fighting game, but in and of itself i think the game is fun, and it's not as hard to get over the learning barrier in this game as people make it out to be, it's pretty simple actually!
Thanks Farms

you should hang out here more!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
STG said:
so in the option menu, that GGPO setting thing what number should I use for that?
IIRC, the number on this setting corresponds to the frame buffer, so:

low number = low input lag, but lots of "jerkiness" when ping is high
high number = "smooth" performance when ping is high, but high input lag

hikarutilmitt said:
The problem with GGPO rolling back so severely is only really noticeable if you have a crappy connection. It's a more reliable way of keeping the game in sync, without controller lag and across greater distances, but when the game has to rollback because one or both connections went to hell, this is what happens.

I still want to know what magic ASW uses for their online because BB is still the goddamned king, GGPO or anything else.

Blazblue doesn't use magic. It's how the game was built. It was built for online. The game has a five frame leniency on everything and when you play it online, because of this it always looks smooth unless the game goes to complete shit.

ShaneB

DarkGiygas said:
Anyone playing on live right now?

For the new page, you can send a friend request to the gamertag 'GAF 3S'. From there view friends of GAF 3S, and you'll see everoyne else that added this tag, should be lots of people playing 3Soe :)

ShaneB said:
For the new page, you can send a friend request to the gamertag 'GAF 3S'. From there view friends of GAF 3S, and you'll see everoyne else that added this tag, should be lots of people playing 3Soe :)
Sweet, thanks.

oracrest

RaidenZR said:
Sure, if you got one!

Does one of these work for you?

gafsf_01.png
gafsf_02.png

SkylineRKR

I played with a few fellow countrymen in a 4 player lobby and it was absolutely lag free. Urien's chariot juggles, jump cancels, parries... timing was fucking spot on. My Alex completely shat on a decent Dudley. But my Urien got shat on by someones Twelve.. so much for tier lists and casual players eh. Enjoyed it so much, forgot to prepare dinner for this day.

Best fighting game online experience I had on the consoles so far.

Kind of don't like the grey background though. Is it changable? Also don't like the omission of intro, demonstration and ranking screens etc.

Anyway trick to pull off Kens Combo #4 against Elena? Only missed that one and the last.

Solune

SkylineRKR said:
Kind of don't like the grey background though. Is it changable? Also don't like the omission of intro, demonstration and ranking screens etc.

Anyway trick to pull off Kens Combo #5 against Elena? Last one I need of him.
I also have alot of issues with the interface.

As for a trick, if you connect with Close Standing Medium Punch and cancel into EX Tatsu, you should we able link into Super everytime.(Midscreen only I believe)

SephirothRK said:
I've sent friend request to CozMick, galvatron, and Zombie James. You must first accept the friend request so I can invite you to the chat. Ferrio I've sent the invite.

Gotcha, I'll take care of that when I get home.

RS4-

SkylineRKR said:
Anyway trick to pull off Kens Combo #4 against Elena? Only missed that one and the last.

iirc, you have to cross up, do the target combo xx ex hurricane so it passes through her, then link the super

RS4- said:
iirc, you have to cross up, do the target combo xx ex hurricane so it passes through her, then link the super
how about the spacing when starting the Hurricane Kick? do you need to be close, sweep range or mid screen to get it right?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So what is the verdict. PSN or 360 version?

Did they ever figure out what was going on with the input lag situation? Standard ps3 issue or something else? Any input lag on 360 version?

cackhyena said:

Bah, Hayao does walk up parry + gigas one handed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYo_md9zg88#t=34s
(warning, that video later features some of Hayao's cosplay as...Urien or something. He kicks high.)

Did they ever figure out what was going on with the input lag situation? Standard ps3 issue or something else? Any input lag on 360 version?

fubarduck swears there's >1 frame of input lag on the PS3 and that the 360 version is 'close to arcade' in feel. seth killian is sticking to the party line (<16ms on internal debug tools).

MThanded said:

Fubar posted on his twitter that 360 feels better so go with that.

MThanded said:

Some people like fubarduck and aris say the 360 version is closer to arcade.

LakeEarth

levious said:
is that first movement left the first parry? I didn't know you had to start it so early for some supers.
Yup, some supers the hit comes out right away so you have to parry before the flash. Dudley's corkscrew blow is another, I believe.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
SephirothRK said:
I've sent friend request to CozMick, galvatron, and Zombie James. You must first accept the friend request so I can invite you to the chat. Ferrio I've sent the invite.

I think i have you online, but if not feel free to hook me up (Xavipants) my PS3 should be back online in a few days :)

jdub03

Sp3eD said:
Yeah Gill is an overpowered POS. Even on 1 star he is cheap.

Once you learn gills patterns he's easy as fuck to beat. Especially with dp capable characters. I used to just jab gill, pause for a fraction of a second then dp. It got him every time. I'll test it when I get home.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
MThanded said:

Why do you always bold everything you say, dat attention whoring?

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but if you beat arcade mode with a character you can go into Downloadable Content > My Content > Color Packs and select second impact colours for that character.

GGs to all I played with today and sorry if it lagged, some of the games I've had over the Atlantic have run pretty well though.

levious said:
is that first movement left the first parry? I didn't know you had to start it so early for some supers.

You pretty much can't parry some supers on reaction at all and have to predict it/be a psychic. Best example, Chun SA 2 =/

mattp

levious said:
me neither
no wonder i wasn't even able to parry the first hit of this..

gutter_trash said:
how about the spacing when starting the Hurricane Kick? do you need to be close, sweep range or mid screen to get it right?

Easier way to do it is back throw elena into the corner, dash forward then do a ex tatsu, last hit should be a meaty crossup on her then the super is an easy link after that.

SkylineRKR

Damn SFIV and its lenient input indeed. Its really killing me in TS so far. But I'm getting it back. I always did prefer this one, and still do now too.

Kioshen said:
http://youtu.be/plkXYsh6wIs

I like visual guides better for trials.

Yeah, thats handy.

As above posters suggested I did try crossups but failed. This vid apparently shows you don't need to.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
good games to whoever I was playing from GAF. Had to jet, parental responsibility calls. Will hopefully be back on late night. Once again, on Live, it's:

illegalwiretap

reppin' dat Hugo.

edit: spirit of jazz! almost had your stun gun alex the last couple of times!! good shit.

Sapiens

You know, there are a lot of minor little things I could complain about, but god damn is the on-line play responsive. Best I've ever experienced in a fighting game on a console (I've used GGPO on PC for MotW (which I own many copies of)).

What a glorious experience.

And fuck all filters - show me the all the fucking pixels in non stretched 4:3 mode. Oh lordy, do these sprites still hold up. Remarkable job they did in crafting these things almost 15 years ago. Every sprite is a work of art.

Can't wait to get more time with it. Hopefully, I can get gdlk with Alex before school starts.

*EX-STOMP TO VICTOLY*

"WEAK!"

Color glitch, lol.
Ken has Akumas colors, Akuma has Kens colors.
It happened in Player-Match but in the replay the colors were correct.

Top Bottom