• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Any tips on getting used to double qcf motions in this game? This seems to be the only thing I'm having trouble getting used to. Trials where I have to link such-and-such into super are pretty frustrating right now.

DoDonGouki said:
Color glitch, lol.
Ken has Akumas colors, Akuma has Kens colors.
It happened in Player-Match but in the replay the colors were correct.

Ken looks bad ass while Akuma looks like something is wrong with him.

FindMyFarms said:
Some things to keep in mind going to 3s

1 - The Dp shortcut is still there, but you have to start from DOWN, so if you input d, df, d, df + P then you get a dragon punch.

2 - The super shortcut in 3s is NOT the same as the super shortcut in sf4. In sf4 you can get super by doing d, df, d, df, f + button, in 3s it's qcf, d, df + P. You HAVE to complete the first qcf, but on the 2nd half all you need to do is d, df, if you have a square gate this is really easy to get a hang of as you just think of it as doing a circle then mashing the stick into the corner.

3 - If you want to carry your sf4 reversals to 3s..........anytime you want to reversal, parry first and THEN do your move, it's theoretically almost the same thing except you lose to throws, unless you OS it of course.. The reversal window in 4 is 5 frames, the parry window in 3s is 7 frames, so any time you want to throw out a risky reversal, just remember to parry first.

Couple of things that might help you out while playing the game.....

Footsy Parries - Off the top of my head, urien is the only exception I can think to this, but almost no characters can get big damage off a mid poke at whiff punish or max poke range in this game, so rule of thumb is if you want to try to parry a limb, risk/reward is always stacked towards a LOW parry at footsies, because cr. mk's lead to supers, then setup, then mixup, etc. etc.
TL;DR at footsies range parry low!

Throw techs - There's two ways most players tech in this game :

1 - Down Back + short + Jab, which gets you a tech if they throw, or a short if they don't. Keep in mind though that this will get you blown up by a low parry, but depending on your character and your crouch short's recovery, the other player might not necessarily get a big punish off it.

2 - Tap forward, slight wait + short + Jab - This gets you a throw animation (and thus a tech) if they throw or don't press a button, or a parry if they did a meaty mid. This will beat people doing nothing on your wake up trying to bait a button(they'll get thrown), a throw, and mids. Just be ready to either punish the mid if you parry, or if you get a read then continue the parry if they're chaining off the mid. This WILL get blown up by command grabs and back dashes, as the grab just straight beats it, and the back dash leaves you in throw whiff animation.

Parries!!

Beginner advice...don't parry too much! Just block and whiff punish! It's good! More often than not if you go up against an intermediate or advance player, they WILL option select a parry every chance they get, so just sitting back and punishing the whiff (as the OS dictates, if they don't get a parry, they get something else.) Backdashing on someone's wakeup is also good as lots of characters like to do (sf4 lingo here reversal ultra) attacks that lead to big damage off a parry. Ex - you have Oro knocked down, he's KILLING to land a close st. mp, so chances are on his wakeup he's going to lead off with a mid parry, hoping to catch something then cancel to his cl. st. mp. Backdashing and punishing here will beat him clean.

Well hopefully that helps peeps out a bit, anything else just ask yo! I may not agree with 3s mechanics and overall design in the context of it being a street fighter/fighting game, but in and of itself i think the game is fun, and it's not as hard to get over the learning barrier in this game as people make it out to be, it's pretty simple actually!

Thanks for this! Definitely going to consider a lot of this when I play tonight.

Sapiens

oracrest said:
Does one of these work for you?

gafsf_01.png
gafsf_02.png

Jesus, look at those pixels. The colours they chose to shade the skin are wonderful. Very complementary. When I first saw this style in the 90s, I was blown away - no one else was doing this. Fucking real, non-rendered, 32bit sprites.

Sorry, I know - I'll shaddup about the spritework.

mattp

what filters/screen types is everyone using?
i kept switching it up all last night, i couldn't decide what i want to leave it on
i'm leaning towards no filter + scanlines

mattp said:
i kept switching it up all last night, i couldn't decide what i want to leave it on

I want to use the scanlines so badly, but it seems they are emulating a bad arcade monitor rather than a good one. Check out Ken in his purple gi.

mattp said:
Right now I have no filter and scalines on too. On 360 I will be using a CRT monitor, so I'll try no filter no scanlines.

CPS2

Spirit of Jazz said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but if you beat arcade mode with a character you can go into Downloadable Content > My Content > Color Packs and select second impact colours for that character

Nice! brb finishing the game with every character >_<

STG

waiting ~5min everytime to get in a ranked match is stupid
Can't even join any player match and when I create one no one is coming

I am disappointed :(

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I will never understand scanline fetishists.

I still game on CRTs fairly often. Never seen a tube set with scanlines as blatant as most of the emulator filters I've seen.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Seems like a lot of Ryu's are online, guess theres a lot of SF IV players that are giving this a try ;)

Will be interesting to see in a few months if people adapt to the tiers or not.

jett

D-Member
ugggh i can't join any games, don't tell me it's because of this NAT bullshit.

edit: game just locked up my PS3 >_<

Novid

Banned
This lag issue maybe due to certain legcacy code on the actual arcade board itself. But then it doesnt make sense - since both BBCS and AE2011 are both on the same board (and should have the same online feel but they dont)

But this lag for a 10 year old game (which they have already reverse engenerred) is almost the hight of bad coding/not caring.

ElFly

How does Necro fourth trial work?

Away + Fierce, Elbow Cannon into grappling super should not combo!

e: saw a video. grabs as long as the super is done early enough.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Apparently there will be a 3S:OE tourney at Guard Crush tonight, no idea if it'll be streamed though, if anything Min will probably do a poverty camera stream on his channel.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Heres the avatar for Iron E Man. First time drawing Urien, so that was fun (plus, following Daigos coloring and drawing style, who in turn was following Akimans style? Meta!)

urien_gaf.png

And a bigger version, so people can look at it :)

urien.jpg

V_Arnold

Raging Spaniard said:
Heres the avatar for Iron E Man. First time drawing Urien, so that was fun (plus, following Daigos coloring and drawing style, who in turn was following Akimans style? Meta!)

//awesomeness//

Pretty awesome drawing, if you ask me. *bows*

Also, I got my preferences now, it is Alex, Q and Urien that are interesting to me right now :D Maining Alex, but trying to start practice with the other two in the meantime.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Very nice art there, Spaniard! I keep imagining WHAT someone just said to him, to get that look, lol.

----

To say something game related, yeah... matchmaking is horrific, lol. (Xbox360) And I hate GGPO sound rollback + You win(Rollback) HE WINS! moments. My connection isn't that bad, so I'm suprised it's being this annoying. Bleh. Sound glitching just reminds me of playing emulators on not-quite-strong-enough computers back in the day... Going to increase the "GGPO delay" to hope that gets rid of some of it...

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Spaniard; you know far more than me on anatomy and perspective but his boob looks a bit off to me.

Raging Spaniard

SAB CA said:
Very nice art there, Spaniard! I keep imagining WHAT someone just said to him, to get that look, lol.

Haha thanks, I always want avatars to be making a weird face or have an expression, they work better in a forum context :D

Brobzoid said:
Spaniard; you know far more than me on anatomy and perspective but his boob looks a bit off to me.

It is, but I think its hard to tell on the avatar version, which is the intended output after all. Good eye noticing though :)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Online comp is hit or miss. Some people are pretty good others can tell they never played before. lol. I think a lot of the older players are still knocking off the rust right now.

Overall loving online tho.

Souther

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:

urien_gaf.png

And a bigger version, so people can look at it :)

urien.jpg

Sick! Your my fav gaf poster! I main Urien so I'm pretty happy.

Ferrio

Banned
haunts said:
Online comp is hit or miss. Some people are pretty good others can tell they never played before. lol. I think a lot of the older players are still knocking off the rust right now.

Played a Yun the other day that had 0 rust. It was pretty brutal :(. I'm just glad it wasn't a double perfect.

jett

D-Member
Man online is a disaster for me, lol. GGPO does what best it can, I guess. Got two KOs in oe round, what's up with that. :p

Dachande

Urgh, online on PSN isn't working too well for me. Most matches I get on Ranked have an orange ping symbol, or sometimes red, and jump around too much in-game.

I think I've played two people with yellow symbols, which felt perfect to me, but I otherwise never see them. This is exactly the same as when I was playing SF4 online though.

84%...

Almost there!
haunts said:

Better than Mahvel or AE?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
SolarPowered said:
84%...

Almost there!

Better than Mahvel or AE?

I can deal with the frame skipping GGPO stuff, I just hate input delay so yes I like it far more than AE and Marvel.

just one mans opinion tho.

Raging Spaniard said:
Seems like a lot of Ryu's are online, guess theres a lot of SF IV players that are giving this a try ;)

Will be interesting to see in a few months if people adapt to the tiers or not.
Ryu is popular in every SF game. No need to single out SF4 players.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Anxious to see what this is like on 360. After paying SF: Anniversary Edition of 3s online for 3 years on the original Xbox, I'm curious how it's gonna feel.

Souther

Banned
I'm up for some games tonite if anybody wants to add me. I'm EST.

PSN: Cyclonus

Speaking of Shotos...I think I have used Ryu once and Akuma once so far in like hmmm 50-60 games.

RS4-

Beating arcade mode would be so much easier if it actually allowed you to set it one round. Apparently the one in the options is probably for local matches only.

My first time properly playing this game outside of a few arcade machine based bouts and to my shame i've had to quit the arcade mode near the end before the rage could take over me, so basically I fear the idea of me playing online mode more than ever now....
and I was only on the second level of difficulty

Morphis

So today was the first time playing 3S for me. Played a lot of SFIV, though I was never very good hehe.

I started off with the parry trials, and damn, that was harder than I'd always thought. But after a while I got more used to the timing of the parries, and eventually I even parried some fireballs in an online match, which felt good.

Tried some character trials and I settled on Necro. I know he's not that high tier, but at my level that doesn't matter anyway, and I like his style. After reading some FAQs I tried him out online, and I've kinda fallen in love with this game.

Learning about getting in with the jab Tornado Hook Punch helped a lot, and I even got some high/low stuff going with Flying Viper. I managed to cancel a combo into his Super 1, comboing into big moves is always hard for me in SFIV, so that felt pretty good. Is this actually easier to do in this game or something?

I really felt that getting in and getting an offense going was easier than in SFIV. Maybe it's more to my style and that's the reason, but I believe I've read that 3S is more offensive minded anyway. Regardless, I like it :)

So all in all, I'll be playing this for a while. At least until all the other first timers quit or get far better than me anyway, hehe.

Oh, and the game is really good looking too.

CozMick

Banned
Bitching aside, Player Match netcode is godlike for me, it shits all over MvC3 and AE.

Haven't seen a single jutter or frame hitch so far but I've yet to search ranked and to be honest I steer clear of Ranked matches in every single online fighting game, that shit is just full of exploiters.....

Not worth the headaches imo.

Overall, for once the multiplayer is better than the single player.

Top Bottom