• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

my whole fighting game life, i am ashamed to say, has been hindered by one significant flaw in my playing abilities.

i cannot do dragon punches from 2nd player side. i.e. i cannot do forward+down+down forward from the second player side cause my thumbs are kinda big and stiff.

this has affected not only me enjoyment of many characters, but many fighting games where the majority of characters rely on this sort of movement for moves.

i can do hadoukens from this position, but specials that require doing a double hadouken motion fast are almost out of the picture.

i have remedied this by sticking to charge characters, since those don't require too many fancy moves for supers (at least, not all of the time GUILE).

i tried sticks instead of pad, but i tend to overshoot movements, block unintentionally, and jump when i did not want to. I can say with confidence i am 5x better with a pad than on a stick. any tips?

oracrest

Sapiens said:
Jesus, look at those pixels. The colours they chose to shade the skin are wonderful. Very complementary. When I first saw this style in the 90s, I was blown away - no one else was doing this. Fucking real, non-rendered, 32bit sprites.

Sorry, I know - I'll shaddup about the spritework.

Your speaking my language, you want one made up too?

zlatko

Banned
I was pumped, played all of today for like 9 hours? Overall, GGPO itself does the job well, but everything else is a miss for me.

I hate 7 hour long matchmaking.
I hate when it finds someone its a red dot, and the game DOES lag on red.
I hate that my friend from Alaska in AE we can play without issues, but on 3S it's a slideshow.
I hate that you can't specifically make a private lobby with only 1 open slot, and let the people searching know this is a 1/2 lobby. You can make it a 1 slot lobby, but you have to set 7 private slots, and anyone searching won't know it is that kind of a lobby or not.
I hate not being able to play 4:3, but without the junk on the side. :(

I'm also not feeling the trials in this game. I have most of them done, but in typical Capcom fashion they leave out certain bits of info on how things are possible AKA "the trick." Urien's stand strong into EX down + up punches charge. I have no clue how to do this trial. The parry ones are good stuff, but I would have liked more of them. 10 seems weak. The unlockables suck too, and I would have liked something like titles and icons to be unlockable or the alternate colors with start button be unlockable, or anything that was substantial.

Youtube uploading is straight busted for me, and so is trying to look at replays since it says the server for SF3 is down. Hopefully that gets ironed out soon.

I guess that's my list of complaints, and I'll toss in that a lot of the remix music is pretty so/so compared to the originals or things in something like SF4. A few are good though like Q's remix is cool and I definitely like the remix Yun/Yang theme.

Overall, it's about a 7/10 experience. If they can fix matchmaking in a patch, and make it so private match lobbies show the population cap, then I could bump it up to 9 probably. If the fixes never come though, then I can only recommend it to people who have a lot of friends to play with online or locally. :/

kissenger

Banned
mesmerMAN said:
my whole fighting game life, i am ashamed to say, has been hindered by one significant flaw in my playing abilities.

i cannot do dragon punches from 2nd player side. i.e. i cannot do forward+down+down forward from the second player side cause my thumbs are kinda big and stiff.

this has affected not only me enjoyment of many characters, but many fighting games where the majority of characters rely on this sort of movement for moves.

i can do hadoukens from this position, but specials that require doing a double hadouken motion fast are almost out of the picture.

i have remedied this by sticking to charge characters, since those don't require too many fancy moves for supers (at least, not all of the time GUILE).

i tried sticks instead of pad, but i tend to overshoot movements, block unintentionally, and jump when i did not want to. I can say with confidence i am 5x better with a pad than on a stick. any tips?

Yeah I had that problem at first.

Solution: get a stick, play on it for a week regularly. Your hand will adapt and doing stuff from that side of the screen will get very easy. There will be a transition period where you will be better with a pad even though you're practising with a stick, but that will be over within two or three weeks.

ShaneB

Joined a lobby, went to get dinner, come back and the lobby is empty :( Sorry to whoever was there.

I'll be on again later tonight for some matches.

Keep those friend requests coming to the GAF 3S tag!

ShaneB said:
Joined a lobby, went to get dinner, come back and the lobby is empty :( Sorry to whoever was there.

Keep those friend requests coming to the GAF 3S tag!
There's no auto skip for idlers?

jett

D-Member
SolarKnight said:
But isn't that how it works in every single fighter with lobbies? Like an arcade, only 2 play while the others spectate waiting for their chance against the winner.

Meh...I just want to play against whoever...and ranked matchmaking isn't working at all for me.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Lost Fragment said:
So you got any general tips on going from AE Makoto to 3S Makoto?

use RH axe kick a lot, but you have to do axe kicks in general much much later than in SF4. name of the game is to land a knockdown with her.

remember that you can karakusa after hayates on everyone just watch out for back dash and uppercut etc.

know which SA to choose against which characters. SA1 is good vs chunli, the twins, urien..anyone you dont want to be stuck in a corner with. SA2 vs akuma is a must, can 100% stun him with basic combo.

ex oroshi is super godlike.

kara-ex fukiagi is good vs fat characters as anti air. st. mp is good vs parry happy players, just cancel into medium or light fukiage if they parry the mp.

punish blocked sweeps with hayate.

edit: wiff c. rh like an idiot over and over to build meter.

c. mk is a very good attack with her.

c.lp is good for tick throws but can be parried both low and high so be careful

ShaneB

_dementia said:
There's no auto skip for idlers?

There is, as mentioned briefly, seems very fickle. I was waiting in line wondering why I wasn't moving, didn't press A to note ready. Not being ready keeps you at the end of the line..

Love this game, but some strange design choices for the interface.. I guess things can be patched in and cleared up.

LakeEarth

Whoo, 10/10 right out the gate. Still got it, though I wouldn't have won one of em if a Dudley didn't accidentally activate cross-counter right in front of me.

I wonder if the "gone streaking" challenge goes beyond 10.... nope!

kitzkozan

kissenger said:
Yeah I had that problem at first.

Solution: get a stick, play on it for a week regularly. Your hand will adapt and doing stuff from that side of the screen will get very easy. There will be a transition period where you will be better with a pad even though you're practising with a stick, but that will be over within two or three weeks.

I bought the game on the PS3 and I have no stick for the console. Going back from stick to pad is beyond brutal, especially since I nearly trashed my thumb. :p I'm at the point where I simply need my stick or I suck ass, even if playing on the PS3 controller is fairly decent and my execution is acceptable.

Tobe

jett said:
Meh...I just want to play against whoever...and ranked matchmaking isn't working at all for me.

sucks being stuck here in peru where the games are basically under the rollback effect the whole match. locally its awesome even on ps3 but i mostly get red connections on psn and yellow with xbl.

anybody playing in south america add me GT: Tobe101

Dashes are actually useful and the game is way faster. I love this game so far!

Parrying fireballs is also pretty fun haha. Makoto is also boss in this one!

Tobe

Goldenboy882 said:
Is there an execution heavy character in 3rd Strike? I like Crimson Viper from SF4 and Bulleta from Vampire Savior if that helps.

i dont think there is a very high execution character in the game but there are character that are very tricky to master, change partitioning being the hardest element to master in 3s imo. also try keeper-jin

zlatko

Banned
Goldenboy882 said:
Is there an execution heavy character in 3rd Strike? I like Crimson Viper from SF4 and Bulleta from Vampire Savior if that helps.

Try out the challenge trials to see what one you feel fits that. I know Tweleve had a super jump cancel trial.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Why the hell can you not change the amount of slots in the lobby? Making a bunch of private slots is so weird.

SoulFist

Hey guys, I'm on my phone and wasnt able to scan the thread to see if this has been answered yet but can anyone tell me how to get my NAT to green. It's on yellow now, but I want to be able to play everybody. Any help is greatly appreciated.

zlatko

Banned
_dementia said:
Every Capcom game is developed in a vacuum it seems.

It's such a strange thing with 3S though. The plans for this game and the development didn't start till late last year right? They had SSF4 to go off of. :/

Ichabod

Banned
Holy hell are the inputs strict in this game. When they say hcb they freaking mean H.C.B.. I'm having difficulty just getting a karakusa to come out.

XLant

Neo Member
ShaneB said:

DL'ing in 10 minutes or so, hope to catch some of you playing online in an hour or so. I haven't played this in over a decade (can't believe it's been that long already), so I'll probably practice parrying a bit first.

Between this and VF5:FS next year, I better start looking for a new arcade stick.

Ferrio

Banned
Ichabod said:
Holy hell are the inputs strict in this game. When they say hcb they freaking mean H.C.B.. I'm having difficulty just getting a karakusa to come out.

I some times fuck it up right after a forward dash. Get her damn c.HK out. Ya that's a bad one to throw out there.

SF3 Chun Li is a beast. I've only played her a few times and it is already apparent.

I fear her...
ShaneB said:
I'm baffled at how different all these games are with their feature sets and online modes.
Someone needs to give Capcom a list of their employee's emails and phone numbers so they can share them with everyone.

Ichabod

Banned
Ferrio said:
I some times fuck it up right after a forward dash. Get her damn c.HK out. Ya that's a bad one to throw out there.

You and me both man. I almost feel like I have to use an spd input to have it come out with any consistency lol.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My feelings on the package so far are very positive; in particular, I do think that the visual presentation is the absolute best job they could have done in that:

- Set the game to 4:3 but not arcade cab, no filtering, but scanlines on

The visual elements they could redraw (and re-scan) a at higher, cleaner resolution (bars, overlay text splashes, character portraits) fit in perfectly with scanlines on, but seriously clean up the presentation and make it seem like it isn't a 12 year old game at all. Combined with the way the sprite art and backgrounds look pristine (to me) with no filtering + scanlines. It makes this look like a modern game that intentionally uses a pixel style art in a native HD framework. Wrap it up with a bow and send it to the museum, this is how you preserve the presentation of Third Strike.

The organization of everything is 99% flawless, right down to the order of menus going into and coming out of matches, replay saving and sorting options, etc, etc. There's no unnecessary flash but neither is the presentation stale and lifeless.

Can't complain about the remixed music, as I like it. It's a tossup which version I'd leave turned on though.

But I do love the new rap for the primary menu music. Sorry if it's got haters, but it's a really cool song, has a great beat, and creates a shitload of hype for playing the game to my ears.

I've had more luck with online play than a lot of people seem to be having (360 here), so I've gotten to play a lot of matches against green dots. The GGPO takes getting used to, as while console gamers have seen similar code in BlazBlue, BlazBlue's animation was built from the ground up with rollback leniency in mind. 3rd Strike seems to reveal the hand of the wizard through a thinner veil. HOWEVER, I would absolutely take this kind of netcode over code that causes input latency. No question at all.

The biggest criticism I'd agree with are:

- It could use more character and parry situation trials.

- They really could have used the challenge points for a version of icons and titles. It would have been very cool to come up with wild, creative titles and custom bitmap backgrounds or frames for them, and make those very desirable by sticking a big "price tag" on them. Something to shoot for in the meta game. As it stands, I love the idea of interactive real time challenges floating in a fighting game, but aside from the fun of seeing the grind climb upward, the reward points are just not put to a good use.

Of course, that IS something they could rectify with DLC - add in more tiers of challenges and new things to unlock via the points.

Overall, in terms of its feature set, I give this 8/10 due to the great but flawed challenge system, and in terms of how it preserves and presents a classic game for a new generation, it's a 10/10 no questions asked.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yo, Haunts, does Ken have any BnBs that don't end in Super starting with cr. lk? I forget.

Also, any suggestions on performing cr. lk x 3 into Super? I cannot do this shit on stick lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kaijima said:
Can't complain about the remixed music, as I like it. It's a tossup which version I'd leave turned on though.

But I do love the new rap for the primary menu music. Sorry if it's got haters, but it's a really cool song, has a great beat, and creates a shitload of hype for playing the game to my ears.

Yeah, it's great. Loved the old track, and I love the new one even more.

RS4-

Kimosabae said:
Yo, Haunts, does Ken have any BnBs that don't end in Super starting with cr. lk? I forget.

Also, any suggestions on performing cr. lk x 3 into Super? I cannot do this shit on stick lol

Try short, jab, short instead (but it doesn't work on everyone)

After you get that down, just do short, short xx super. Honestly, I'd probably just say it's like doing c.mk xx super, but faster.

Kaijima said:
Overall, in terms of its feature set, I give this 8/10 due to the great but flawed challenge system, and in terms of how it preserves and presents a classic game for a new generation, it's a 10/10 no questions asked.
I hope this sells gangbusters. It may convince Capcom to give us an updated version of Darkstalkers. I'd pay all my monies for that.

ShaneB

SolarPowered said:
Someone needs to give Capcom a list of their employee's emails and phone numbers so they can share them with everyone.

Or talk to other developers that clearly get it right :)

zlatko

Banned
SolarPowered said:
I hope this sells gangbusters. It may convince Capcom to give us an updated version of CvS2. I'd pay all my monies for that.

Fixed and agreed. Or even Alpha 2. Darkstalkers is my third pick though. :p

Top Bottom