• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Put in my first few matches with Dartastic and it was nice and smooth. I need to put in some lab time before I jump in online though, I was trying out characters without even knowing the special moves for them. I think I'm going to dig this game for a while though, balance issues aside I just love the look and feel of it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Why in the world does this game's movelist not list the target combos? It's just so inconvenient. And I'm also kinda suprised at the jump in subjects within the trials.

I'd really appreciate a list of points for the characters in-game, as many of you have been giving in this thread *And this is much appreciated!* For a game with such a HUGE pre-made knowledge flow, the little tease text they give before trials feels like a half-implimented idea, that missed a small step or 2. It IS a solid idea, however!

On a "concept" standpoint, I find it kinda funny that Elena seems to suck at comboing into her normal special moves. You'd think a fluid dancer would have the rythm to make everything flow together. Instead, she seems to depend on EX to do what many others could just do with a crouch + fireball -_-; Or is this just a bad impression that I'm lead to get from her trials?

I must say, playing her in this game, REALLY makes me hope she's in SFxT. She just feels like she has great potential, if they'd take a second look at her.

Irony: as nice as the animation is in 3S, I really find her crouching animation to look awkwardly framey?

And Haunts, nice Makoto info there. I've learned to play her much more in SSFIV than in 3S, so this backpeddeling to relurn what I barely knew VS new information that doesn't apply is SO ODD. I can understand how awkward you must feel during much of the KoF XIII streaming, by how awkward I feel trying to get Instant air tiger-knee'd motions to work here, or how stupid quick some tickthrows work in this game (watching Makoto tick from standing L into karakusa looks so instant, lol.)

Note: I can easy agree with the "GGPO makes Good games better, makes bad games disgusting" sentiment some of the posters in this thread have. Watching oneself stop attacking before Blue Nocturne... only for the rollback to then make you attack it, and take the super's damage, is such a LOL moment.

jett said:
How do you guys feel about the new music? I'm not really feeling it much, other than Sean's stage which is a great remix. Everything else seems to electronica or a variant of it, so much more could've been done with 3S's fantastic soundtrack.

I really like the new title music tho.

I like Bionic Commando Rearmed's music. I like this music based off that. I DON'T like it based off traditional 3rd strike tunes, but that's much because, as you said, it all sounds so electronica-like, which really fits none of the characters in tha game, except maybe.. what... Q, Twelve, and Necro, at best?

It's like they're trying to get me to think that each character is some high class hacker techno wiz... and I'm looking at a native african girl dancing in clothes that'd be in style hundreads of years ago.

It clashes with the characters, but it's solid enough music in and of itself, I think.

jett

D-Member
SAB CA said:
I like Bionic Commando Rearmed's music. I like this music based off that. I DON'T like it based off traditional 3rd strike tunes, but that's much because, as you said, it all sounds so electronica-like, which really fits none of the characters in tha game, except maybe.. what... Q, Twelve, and Necro, at best?

It's like they're trying to get me to think that each character is some high class hacker techno wiz... and I'm looking at a native african girl dancing in clothes that'd be in style hundreads of years ago.

It clashes with the characters, but it's solid enough music in and of itself, I think.

Yeah I guess, unfortunately it's hard to judge the music on its own, the vault only plays the first round themes.

All I have to say is Kuroda is godlike at 3s. I knew he was before watching the recent Game Spot upload, but I have never seen his Oro before (that I can remember).

AwShucks

Ranked matches seemed to find opponents faster 30 minutes ago than they did 3 hours ago. Though I did end up fighting my first laggy match. It somehow wasn't atrocious but did give me a million projectiles for the "achievement" counter.

El Sloth

Banned
XBL GAF, how would you guys feel about having our own IRC channel? Our own ghetto version of game chat, ha ha. I think it would help in setting up lobbies too, the GAF 3S XBL meta tag notwithstanding. PSN gaffers would of course be welcome to
troll in
it too.

Aurarian

AwShucks said:
Ranked matches seemed to find opponents faster 30 minutes ago than they did 3 hours ago. Though I did end up fighting my first laggy match. It somehow wasn't atrocious but did give me a million projectiles for the "achievement" counter.

We can play a couple of sets if you want. I like the idea of lobbies, but it's so slow. They should let the everyone battle each other in the lobby(don't know if that's possible)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
El Sloth said:
XBL GAF, how would you guys feel about having our own IRC channel? Our own ghetto version of game chat, ha ha. I think it would help in setting up lobbies too, the GAF 3S XBL meta tag notwithstanding. PSN gaffers would of course be welcome to
troll in
it too.

There already is one. Poke Kuma about it.

I suck and always have, but I'm surprised that, especially in the past since I only played Q, that Remy has been doing it for me mostly...

Never got into him until now.

El Sloth said:
troll in
it too.
Sounds like a good idea as long as a link is provided whenever we play.

Played some matches with local friends,
and the game is amazing.
It just sings...

Need to get used to the stricter excecution though.
When I'm playing with my new TE stick, I have real trouble performing SA...
Strangely enough, with my crappy Hori FS3 everything (except parries) comes out like butter.

I never played SF3, but I'm really into it, love the speed, love the technicallity.
But I'll need lot's of hours to get even remotely mediocre at this game.
Can't even finish arcade on lowest diff :(

Tansut

Yoooo Hugo! I think I've found someone to main, or at least give a lengthy shot with, after playing some Gaf folks tonight.

The connections for me and my friend are yellow and we live about 25 minutes away from each other. No wonder everyone I run into has a red ping.

Get on this shit, Capcom!

Goldenboy882

Neo Member
I would like to claim this avatar

3rdstrike25.png

thanks!

Ferrio

Banned
Okay so I think GGPO is a dimension traveler. It shows you glimpses of realities where your super hit and you really won, but then brings you back to your own where your face is getting beat in instead.

N4Us

Professor Beef said:
Fixed. Vanilla was never this bad.

I was playing with friends and at one point in the middle of a match the lobby randomly booted several people. Reminded us of the old HDR days and we laughed.

Otherwise I thought online play was pretty perfect today. One guy I play with has a horseshit connection and even he didn't lag one bit. I think it only stuttered at one point when I was playing some guy with a red bar, and I also heard the KO sound glitch a few times.

Then again, I didn't try Ranked today, just did Player matches.

N4Us said:
I was playing with friends and at one point in the middle of a match the lobby randomly booted several people. Reminded us of the old HDR days and we laughed.

Otherwise I thought online play was pretty perfect today. One guy I play with has a horseshit connection and even he didn't lag one bit. I think it only stuttered at one point when I was playing some guy with a red bar, and I also heard the KO sound glitch a few times.

Then again, I didn't try Ranked today, just did Player matches.
I have no problems with the actual online play. It's smooth as butter even with red ping and only occasionally will send me to the same alternate dimension that Ferrio visited.

It's the online menus (or lack thereof) that frustrate me.

Izuna

Banned
So they're taking this down from GGPO? It takes forever and a half to find an opponent on this thing. Also, why are Hugo and Q so popular? I imagine good players are just trying to pick a weaker character for a challenge, but when they run into someone who knows what they're doing you can see the frustration in their movements.

Rematch them and they pick Ken/Akuma. =(

bhytre

Good lord everything about online play is absolute garbage, you're pretty much screwed if you have no friends to play with. We don't need a patch but a refund for this mess.

Online play :/

I finally got the full game on UK PSN, it's STILL not available to unlock in game, but I found it in the bundle through the PSN store.

3 matches online, all opponents used Ryu (rolleyes), I used Q and Makoto. The skippy lag is quite frankly, shocking. I will be moving back to AE by the end of the day if this doesn't improve. Also takes an AGE to find a ranked opponent.

It seemed like they put so much into it all when it was in the making, then they go and make the most important part - matchmaking, the shoddiest part - it's mind boggling. I'd take good online play to new menu screen art any day!

Also 8 player lobbies, really? I'm not waiting 20+ minutes for a fucking game, so ridiculous. They messed this up big time.

Maxrunner

They seem to have a demo in there? the game itselft costs 14€ in Euroland, but i've yet to try the demo, does anyone knows what it misses from the full version?

Top Bottom