• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Maxrunner said:
They seem to have a demo in there? the game itselft costs 14€ in Euroland, but i've yet to try the demo, does anyone knows what it misses from the full version?
I think the demo only has 3 characters, arcade mode and local multiplayer. Played only 2 matches in the demo and bought the full game.

.la1n

As much as I loved getting back into playing as Chun through the arcade mode I have actually gravitated towards Akuma for online play. I also like that, for now, most of my online competition like to mix it up character wise. It really makes for a much more enjoyable experience then getting spammed by the same top and mid tier characters over and over.

I can't wait until we can get a good GAF tournament going on. I don't think i'll make it far but I haven't played 3S in so long that this is seriously all I will be playing the next couple weeks. May also have a little something to do with being broke ;)

Finaika

Goldenboy882 said:
I would like to claim this avatar

3rdstrike25.png

thanks!
She looks like she has feet for hands.

Izuna

Banned
The number of Akuma players online + my main is Makoto = hate mail. Build meter, punish all of their jumps, and if things go bad? 100% death combo.

Before you play Akuma at least learn a basic BnB!

EDIT: HELP PLEASE! I can't my final two achievements. There's Couch Potato (?) and Sharing is Caring. The replay server is down!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So it looks like JTV highlights capped out at 30fps. So archives videos aren't necessarily the quality of the actual stream.

Good games to everyone last night. Had fun with the Makoto/Chun set with Rocwell. Good stuff seeing Marky and Ricky Ortiz making an appearance in the stream chat.

I think I can be better if I learn the more advanced stuff. I'm just cruising playing the game like SF2.

The GGPO rewinding thing is absolutely hilarious. I got a KO, it even said 'KO' on screen, then we go back and then I get Chun Li super in the face and go on to lose the round! :D D:

yurinka

PNstyle said:
I think the demo only has 3 characters, arcade mode and local multiplayer. Played only 2 matches in the demo and bought the full game.
It also has some parry and character trials.

ZeroCoin

Had a lot of fun last night trying to get my legs under me with Elena. I think I'm going to try using her and Yang most of the time. Only had a few matches where the connection was very poor. Hopefully the ranked matches get fixed up, because waiting for 5 minutes just to have a connection failure is ridiculous.

XBL: ZeroCoin

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
- Start button doesnt resume game on pause menu
- You have to manually select the character movelist EVERY SINGLE TIME

Thay had no usability tests whatsoever i guess.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Fersis said:

I thought some fighting game players didn't want start to be able to unpause the game once it was paused for whatever reason, at least not without other buttons held too (Skulgirls thread).

But it's very weird that selecting move list doesn't automatically highlight your character since SFIV and MVC3 do it.

I wouldn't say they had no usability testing. Several other menus and such are structured very well - such as being able to mash "A" through menus after an online fight to first exit summary, save reply, then exit back to online menu in ranked games.

jett

D-Member
Fersis said:

This is a cheap ass port...the $15 price is completely unjustified.

CozMick

Banned
thundr51 said:
Thinking of picking this up but not sure on which system. Leaning towards 360 since I have a headset. Opinions?

Headsets shouldn't be a factor, no-one speaks while playing and certainly no-one ever speaks on XBL.

I'd go with the amount of people on your friends list that have the game, makes it more enjoyable to play imo.

tzare

jett said:
This is a cheap ass port...the $15 price is completely unjustified.
i agree. Besides ggpo, it is just like neogeostation games more or less. Still fun though. But too expensive.

ShaneB

Fersis said:

It's odd, I love this game, and I'll be playing it for a long long time, but it's just strange to wonder where the focus was. It's got so much content, but it's missing so much content that should be obvious stuff for an "online" edition. It's a case of 2 + 2 not equaling 4.

edit: also, ggs to the folks in the lobby last night, just a few of us, but I prefer those smaller size lobbies. Was good times, reminded me I needed a new headset, but using the mirc chat was perfectly fine too for when playing with gaffers, but it's a lot to coordinate. lol

jett

D-Member
ShaneB said:
It's odd, I love this game, and I'll be playing it for a long long time, but it's just strange to wonder where the focus was. It's got so much content, but it's missing so much content that should be obvious stuff for an "online" edition. It's a case of 2 + 2 not equaling 4.

I personally can't believe the settings in the options don't apply to arcade mode. There are no words for whoever was in charge of this port.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I tried online around midnight and it said the 3so servers were down. I said lol.

.la1n

I do hope Capcom listens to the community and patches in some of the more obvious additions that will make the game perfect.

They nerfed the shit out of Yun for AE2K12.

3SOE shall be my refuge.

Urban Scholar said:
Remy players out there? How are you fairing?
I blew up a friend of mine 2 days ago in casuals. Remy is fun despite not being very good.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kaijima said:
I thought some fighting game players didn't want start to be able to unpause the game once it was paused for whatever reason, at least not without other buttons held too (Skulgirls thread).

But it's very weird that selecting move list doesn't automatically highlight your character since SFIV and MVC3 do it.

I wouldn't say they had no usability testing. Several other menus and such are structured very well - such as being able to mash "A" through menus after an online fight to first exit summary, save reply, then exit back to online menu in ranked games.
That was hyperbole of my part ^__^¡
But there are a lot of little things that bring the package value down like the no Region filter on matchmaking and such.

The matches i had with Jett (Best Chunli on Peru confirmed) were almost lag free and the most smooth online fighting experience ive ever had.

Rain_ng

Banned
Ranked is almost completely broken Match Making wise.... but very impressed with the smoothness and non-lag when I actually get a match.

Managed 5 matches last night in 40 mins all against Shotos....

And my Hugo Crushed them ALL :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
jett said:
I personally can't believe the settings in the options don't apply to arcade mode. There are no words for whoever was in charge of this port.

Seems like its probably people not used to doing this kind of work. Its easy to throw content in there (ggpo! art! remixed music! Its all very marketing based), but a lot of the issues people have are more in tune with what good design is ... meaning this was most probably put together by marketing and not some a good UI design team from Capcom japan.

jett

D-Member
Raging Spaniard said:
Seems like its probably people not used to doing thin kind of work. Its easy to throw content in there (ggpo! art! remixed music! Its all very marketing based), but a lot of the issues people have are more in tune with what good design is ... meaning this was most probably put together by marketing and not some a good UI design team from Capcom japan.

It's clear nobody from Capcom Japan was involved.

kitzkozan

jett said:

Who's to say that it's his fault? I'm thinking you are targeting Derek Neal who's the producer? The dude had plenty of good ideas for the port and he qualified for SBO in Blazblue so he's got decent skills as well. Blazblue has a polished online UI so he know all about it. If anything, the bad management is probably more at fault than anything else. You can't honestly believe that they didn't know the game would ship without the arcade settings not working? :p However, if management decide to ship the product despite the bugs and flaws or omissions...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
jett said:
It's clear nobody from Capcom Japan was involved.

I know, its just kind of ironic that people like to bitch at Capcom Japan for lacking features in SF IV or MvC3 ... but at least what they put in there WORKS.

When you compare it to the problems people are having here its obvious that some things. are taken for granted by the fans

Playing the demo I thought it was rather nice, never been a huge fan of 3s though so I will pass for now and stick with 4 and HDremix :S

Kioshen

.la1n said:
I do hope Capcom listens to the community and patches in some of the more obvious additions that will make the game perfect.

Pretty much this. They missed the ball on pretty obvious interface stuff.

Skilletor

Online is really bad for me. It's not that I have a bad connection, just that this game doesn't work well online. I thought the same with GGPO on PC, but I thought it'd be better on a closed platform without so many variables.

It's playable, but I was hoping for better.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
LakeEarth said:
Yup, some supers the hit comes out right away so you have to parry before the flash. Dudley's corkscrew blow is another, I believe.

so as soon as the animation stops before the super begins you have to begin? Thanks.

jett

D-Member
kitzkozan said:
Who's to say that it's his fault? I'm thinking you are targeting Derek Neal who's the producer? The dude had plenty of good ideas for the port and he qualified for SBO in Blazblue so he's got decent skills as well. Blazblue has a polished online UI so he know all about it. If anything, the bad management is probably more at fault than anything else. You can't honestly believe that they didn't know the game would ship without the arcade settings not working? :p However, if management decide to ship the product despite the bugs and flaws or omissions...

*shrug*

I don't know the person in charge, but they fucked up.

GringoJB

Yeah, online was rough for me too last night (PSN)... actually seemed a little worse than Tuesday night! It seems like, at best, I can only get two "green" rooms to appear when I do a search for a Player Match... by the time that I select one, I get an error that the room is already full... ugh.

But yeah, just like everyone else is saying here: When it works, it REALLY works, and it super-sweet!

tzare said:
i agree. Besides ggpo, it is just like neogeostation games more or less. Still fun though. But too expensive.

Err what happened here? Bought the game yesterday but hadn't had time to play it yet. Had a quick glance at the previous pages and I'm surprised at the amount of negative feedback since the hype had been through the roof prior to release.

The game was supposed to be the best port/online experience ever (lagless GGPO, replays recording and uploading, tons of goodies to unlock and trials), what could possibly go wrong? People went from "OMG 15 bucks for this amount of content is a steal!!! GG Capgod!!!" to "Unplayable POS. GG Crapcom.....".

I'm quite anxious to play the game this week-end now.

Raging Spaniard

Yeah, shocked to hear that GGPO isnt the fix to all the problems of online gaming. Oh wait, it was GAF exaggerating again? Yep, seems like it

I thought all you had to do was slap it on and it would just work!

jett

D-Member
BlindCommunication said:
Err what happened here? Bought the game yesterday but hadn't had time to play it yet. Had a quick glance at the previous pages and I'm surprised at the amount of negative feedback since the hype had been through the roof prior to release.

The game was supposed to be the best port/online experience ever (lagless GGPO, replays recording and uploading, tons of goodies to unlock and trials), what could possibly go wrong? People went from "OMG 15 bucks for this amount of content is a steal!!! GG Capgod!!!" to "Unplayable POS. GG Crapcom.....".

I'm quite anxious to play the game this week-end now.

Only if you play with people near you. Otherwise, it'll be pain, which is annoying because that's the only reason I bought this(I already own 3S on DC and PS2). That aside this port just has a bunch of dumbfounded decisions, like dip switches and menu options in general not affecting arcade mode, and more nitpicky stuff like being unable to control the volume of the music independent of SFX(which sucks on the PS3 because it doesn't support custom soundtracks), ugly user interface, etc.

But really, the main problem lies with matchmaking which is awful. It doesn't search for low ping players at all, seems like.

LakeEarth

levious said:
so as soon as the animation stops before the super begins you have to begin? Thanks.
I mean you have to have pressed forward before the super flash. If you didn't press forward and you see the super flash, it's too late.

I've seen some good Dudley players duck under a jumping player and anti-air using Corkscrew Blow from behind. Even if the jumping opponent was planning on parrying in the air, they probably picked the wrong direction.

EDIT - and when the ping is green, then GGPO shines. But when it isn't green, prepare for some confusing moments. It's kinda hard to hit confirm when the game acts like your move connected, just to go "lol j/k" and your super gets blocked.

galvatron

Rain_ng said:
Ranked is almost completely broken Match Making wise.... but very impressed with the smoothness and non-lag when I actually get a match.

Managed 5 matches last night in 40 mins all against Shotos....

And my Hugo Crushed them ALL :)

Same here, except I did get to beat up a Dudley and a Remy in there. It's gonna get rough when people recognize all of Hugo's overheads.

Top Bottom