• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

galvatron

jett said:
But really, the main problem lies with matchmaking which is awful. It doesn't search for low ping players at all, seems like.

There was some interview they gave a while back explaining why matchmaking is this particular flavor of awful. Boils down to following matchmaking policies for the various online services and likely
fans not being more involved

_dementia said:
Even with the shit UI decisions and matchmaking I'll probably double dip to play with my XBL friends :(

Did that last night...I'll probably stick to lobbies since ranked is so slow.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
buffi said:
Uh... do people really consider paying 15$ for a game to be expensive?

yes, when at the start of this generation downloadable games came with a 5 dollar price tag, and 10 dollar games were the premium exception.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
levious said:
yes, when at the start of this generation downloadable games came with a 5 dollar price tag, and 10 dollar games were the premium exception.

Dont give that shit, Geometry Wars is an obvious 5 dollar game because as good as it is its a very basic game.

A game of this complexity and depth is well worth 15 dollars.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LakeEarth said:
EDIT - and when the ping is green, then GGPO shines. But when it isn't green, prepare for some confusing moments. It's kinda hard to hit confirm when the game acts like your move connected, just to go "lol j/k" and your super gets blocked.

It's hilarious when the sound effects are off. You hear the Super flash and nothing comes out. You hear the K.O., but your Super is blocked instead. I played some player matches yesterday that were pretty much flawless. There's one guy who is prone to having a poor connection, so he was obviously making weird stuff happen in matches, but everything else was solid.

levious

Raging Spaniard said:
Dont give that shit, Geometry Wars is an obvious 5 dollar game because as good as it is its a very basic game.

A game of this complexity and depth is well worth 15 dollars.

it was already made, it's a rerelease. Just like the old arcade games that got released early in XBLA for 5 bucks.

There's screen tearing when the player matchup thing scrolls across in arcade mode, that's the kind of shit that drives me crazy when I've paid a premium price for an old game. Online play is great to have, and worth the 15 dollars I paid for this, I like this game so much that I probably would have paid 20. But when I'm not so sure that it's as arcade perfect as my dreamcast version, I find that troubling.

Sapiens

tzare said:
i agree. Besides ggpo, it is just like neogeostation games more or less. Still fun though. But too expensive.
15 dollars is cheap dude. The game is fine. I could nitpick, but the core game is absolutely worth it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Oh, man. MvC3 spoiled the shit out of me. I suck so bad at this one now thanks to the newer fighting games that I think the game shut itself off to avoid embarrassing me any further.

Crap.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
levious said:
it was already made, it's a rerelease. Just like the old arcade games that got released early in XBLA for 5 bucks.

There's screen tearing when the player matchup thing scrolls across in arcade mode, that's the kind of shit that drives me crazy when I've paid a premium price for an old game. Online play is great to have, and worth the 15 dollars I paid for this, I like this game so much that I probably would have paid 20. But when I'm not so sure that it's as arcade perfect as my dreamcast version, I find that troubling.
wut

I thought the dreamcast version had mad input lag and even different frame data than the arcade game?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The thing I find funny about this console GGPO, is that it's basically the same as any other netcode, as far as the "range" of people it lets you play with satisfaction.

Just about any netcode gives you "Solid on green, acceptable on yellow, annoying and basically unplayable on red" ranks of netplay.

I think the most important lesson, which should be more obvious now, is that games designed with online play in mind, will do much better once online. BB is one, Skullgirls should be another. Wider buffers, less dependance on 1 frames, etc... I'm actually pretty glad we have a defining example that GGPO isn't an instant panacea.

It's actually a good example as to why I'm a bit saddened that we haven't seen many original, made-for DLC fighters this generation.

GuardianE said:
It's hilarious when the sound effects are off. You hear the Super flash and nothing comes out. You hear the K.O., but your Super is blocked instead. I played some player matches yesterday that were pretty much flawless. There's one guy who is prone to having a poor connection, so he was obviously making weird stuff happen in matches, but everything else was solid.

I really dislike the sound effect stuff. I'm SEEING a solid hit, but hear a parry; I hear and see my hit-confirm into super, only to them see the opponent then tossed out their invincibility super, and beat me clean. It's really pretty frustrating, though, to it's credit, raising the GGPO delay a bit seemed to clear up some of it, thankfully.

Shadow780 said:
I would gladly pay $20 for 98UM and 02UM each with this kind of treatment...;_;

SNK hates money.
alstein said:
same here. I'd just settle for those games+GGPO for $20.

I really wish they'd just go back and release some kinda "wrapper" for many of their old released, that lets the play under some new online code.

And I'm probably one of few people yesterday who went from 3S yesterday, to playing 2K2UM with a friends online! I was very happy to be free of audio glitches and taken-away KO's again...

levious

MThanded said:

I sure don't know, just going by comments of people who know more than I do, it was close enough for people to use that version in competition wasn't it?

MThanded

levious said:
I sure don't know, just going by comments of people who know more than I do, it was close enough for people to use that version in competition wasn't it?
No, dreamcast version was the worst port.

XenoRaven

levious said:

So you're comparing Double Dragon to 3S?

levious

MThanded said:
No, dreamcast version was the worst port.

oh sorry, didn't know that. What version is used for competitions?

XenoRaven said:
So you're comparing Double Dragon to 3S?

well, they were both already made. Look, I'm not bitching about the price myself, just saying I can understand why someone would. It's been a gradual slide this generation about pricing of downloadable games, the arguments were the same when it was 5 vs. 10.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Well, finished Hugo's trial at least. I had no idea you could do 4 consecutive EX Claps. Looks brutal. Also finished arcade mode with him to unlock more colors. I can't believe that you can't set it to 1 round, 30 seconds. Fucking ridiculous. The cynic in me thinks Capcom omitted that on purpose in the hopes most everyone would be too lazy to bother so they could then hit us with color DLC.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
no matter how good GGPO is, people have shitty connections PERIOD.
I'm willing to bet majority of people who own a console exclusively and have no experience with a computer, blind setup their router.

levious

_dementia said:
levious, the Dreamcast port was easily the worst home port of this game.

how many have there been? I was only aware of DC and xbox.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
For the record, I've had a great experience so far online as far as weird glitches. I used to get way more playing ggpo on my laptop but that was also wireless. I still have yet to try ranked though.

MThanded

bob_arctor said:
Well, finished Hugo's trial at least. I had no idea you could do 4 consecutive EX Claps. Looks brutal. Also finished arcade mode with him to unlock more colors. I can't believe that you can't set it to 1 round, 30 seconds. Fucking ridiculous. The cynic in me thinks Capcom omitted that on purpose in the hopes most everyone would be too lazy to bother so they could then hit us with color DLC.
oh so colors are unlockable. Good to know.

Raging Spaniard said:
I know, its just kind of ironic that people like to bitch at Capcom Japan for lacking features in SF IV or MvC3 ... but at least what they put in there WORKS.

When you compare it to the problems people are having here its obvious that some things. are taken for granted by the fans
You obviously did not play MvC3 online at launch for the first two to three months. It was more or less unplayable. Quit with the revisionist history here.

They don't get any praise for that game. SF was not fantastic, but it was playable.
.la1n said:
I do hope Capcom listens to the community and patches in some of the more obvious additions that will make the game perfect.
They need to worry about making this game not lag.
LakeEarth said:
I mean you have to have pressed forward before the super flash. If you didn't press forward and you see the super flash, it's too late.

I've seen some good Dudley players duck under a jumping player and anti-air using Corkscrew Blow from behind. Even if the jumping opponent was planning on parrying in the air, they probably picked the wrong direction.

EDIT - and when the ping is green, then GGPO shines. But when it isn't green, prepare for some confusing moments. It's kinda hard to hit confirm when the game acts like your move connected, just to go "lol j/k" and your super gets blocked.
My friend and I got a terrible amount of frame skippage in several matches even though we live 25 minutes away and play great games on other fighters. The kind of stuff I'm experiencing with yellow ping the is something like a 2 bar connection(worse, I think) in BlazBlue.

Seems like Capcom is busted, not GGPO. Still, I'm willing to give the game a few days.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
MThanded said:
oh so colors are unlockable. Good to know.
Yeah, just go to DLC, then "My Content", then "Color Packs" after you finish and you can choose which version of the colors you want. So far I have 2nd Impact colors only. I really can't see myself playing through arcade with everyone though. That's some old school back in the day I'm 12 years old shit.

g35twinturbo said:
no matter how good GGPO is, people have shitty connections PERIOD.
I'm willing to bet majority of people who own a console exclusively and have no experience with a computer, blind setup their router.
I bet tons of ignorant people tax their connections while playing without knowing the consequences.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
SolarPowered said:
I bet tons of ignorant people tax their connections while playing without knowing the consequences.

this dude I played against was laggy as hell, he was bittorrenting some shit while we was playing :/

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
SolarPowered said:
You obviously did not play MvC3 online at launch for the first two to three months. It was more or less unplayable. Quit with the revisionist history here.

I most definitely did, on PS3 even. Dont try to prove me wrong by throwing baseless assumptions. The online was fine (or as laggy as should be expected, rather)

MThanded said:
I played online had no lag issues.

Same here

Raging Spaniard said:
I most definitely did, on PS3 even. Dont try to prove me wrong by throwing baseless assumptions. The online was fine (or as laggy as should be expected, rather)

¿MVC3 online "Fine" at launch? not even close, it was laggy as hell, even playing with friends who live close to my home.

MThanded

SolarPowered said:
I never had problem with mvc3 online. It was more than playable.

You might want to check your connection or something. Not the speed but the stability. Also are you doing wired or wireless?

The more I play, the more I realize how weird this is. The second rate Black Eyed Peas "Knock You Out" song is pretty bad, I wish it wasn't in the online lobby. GGPO doesn't really make up for all the weirdness, it's the same as it was on GGPO which I've already been playing for years.

The only real positive with this for me so far, is that it got some of my friends back into it.

jett

D-Member
buffi said:
Uh... do people really consider paying 15$ for a game to be expensive?

For a game I already own twice on two consoles? For a cheap ass port of an unmodified 12 year-old game with GGPO thrown in together? When new PSN games with vastly bigger budgets than this port are $10? Yes?

bob_arctor said:
Yeah, just go to DLC, then "My Content", then "Color Packs" after you finish and you can choose which version of the colors you want. So far I have 2nd Impact colors only. I really can't see myself playing through arcade with everyone though. That's some old school back in the day I'm 12 years old shit.
Yeah. I might do it for my main though.

Do you get any colors for beating it with 3S-exclusive characters like Makoto, Chun, Remy, Twelve, and Q?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SAB CA said:
I really dislike the sound effect stuff. I'm SEEING a solid hit, but hear a parry; I hear and see my hit-confirm into super, only to them see the opponent then tossed out their invincibility super, and beat me clean. It's really pretty frustrating, though, to it's credit, raising the GGPO delay a bit seemed to clear up some of it, thankfully.

Oh, I agree. It's incredibly jarring when I let out Super, hear the K.O., then see my Super get blocked. There's a WTF moment for me, but my opponent didn't hear that K.O., so they just punish like normal. Until online is patched, I don't think I'll be touching ranked for a while.

I hope a patch hits soon, especially considering that you can't even get one of the achievements on 360 due to the upload feature being unavailable.

Wizpig

_dementia said:
They nerfed the shit out of Yun for AE2K12.

3SOE shall be my refuge.

I blew up a friend of mine 2 days ago in casuals. Remy is fun despite not being very good.
It's not like he will be terrible in AE.

Btw let me make this off topic... playing Third Strike for the first time in my life makes me realize how much i'm from the "SF IV" generation.

Not "generation" in age, but since it was one of my first fighters I learned almost everything Street Fighter there.

The more casual approach, the easier inputs, the comeback mechanics... if well balanced it's all a big plus.
Vanilla was, in retrospect, a bit crappy, but Super made the game so much better it's now my favorite fighting game.

And imo the "Ultra" mechanic is not much worse than spamming whiffed normals in Third Strike to farm the Super...

A couple question about the port (and agreed, 800 points would've probably been better)

1] Am I the only one that never finds anyone in Ranked?! I found one guy yesterday, but now it just keeps searching. Open NAT of course, but damn, i can't find anyone.

2] I can't upload Replays ç_ç are the servers hammered?

Raging Spaniard said:
There are always exceptions, but it was a trainwreck for most people. Trying to make it sound like it was solid at launch is just not true. Ranked searching never worked(I'm not even sure it works works now) and the lag was worse than SF at launch(which was acceptable). It was certainly not good and laggier than usual.

The hilarious part is that it still sucked with no spectator.
g35twinturbo said:
this dude I played against was laggy as hell, he was bittorrenting some shit while we was playing :/
I don't get why people try to play a game while in the middle of a torrent...
MThanded said:
I never had problem with mvc3 online. It was more than playable.

You might want to check your connection or something. Not the speed but the stability. Also are you doing wired or wireless?
It was terrible on wireless with the PS3, but I wired it and I run pretty good MvC3 games. It also improved pretty quickly on the 360 which was always wired, but meh at first.

Connections are honestly pretty good these days. I never would have complained if the game were as solid when it first came out. Certainly not bad now, but not a shining example of Japan's best on the online front.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
jett said:
For a game I already own twice on two consoles? For a cheap ass port of an unmodified 12 year-old game with GGPO thrown in together? When new PSN games with vastly bigger budgets than this port are $10? Yes?

I'll still be buying RE4 at $15, a game I already own on three consoles. :( Honestly, I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. There's nothing especially offensive to me about this release.

Wizpig said:
1] Am I the only one that never finds anyone in Ranked?! I found one guy yesterday, but now it just keeps searching. Open NAT of course, but damn, i can't find anyone.

I haven't found a ranked opponent yet. I tried 3 different times, waited long enough.

Got one ranked match in last night but it was a laggy mess. Couldn't find a ranked match after so just went back to arcade mode to unlock colors for characters. 360 version here.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I played against an Akuma, and after he took the first round, I thought he taunted post victory. I didn't realize that Akuma did a pose and then did another pose after getting a win. So, I proceeded to taunt him after winning the next two rounds. I felt bad afterwards.

jett said:
Premium tax for an older title with rep. I don't mind paying that much for it at all. It'll be great once the online settles for me.

Top Bottom