• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Sayah said:
How do you do those charging attacks with Alex?

Dude, you are answering your own question :p

Hold the stick back (or down-back), wait for a second, and move it forward, then push the buttons at the same time...i feel silly explaining this lol, it´s a basic mechanic in 2d fighters

Sayah

LakeEarth said:
Gonna throw out some Alex notes here:
- use meter for EX, unless you get a juicy opportunity for super damage
- EX elbow charge is fast and can punish a lot of stuff
- d.fp is a decent anti-air and it hits twice, but if it hits once you can combo afterwards (I'd suggest his dp kick move as it causes a knockdown)
- standing fierce is his overhead. Use it on wakeup. When they get scared of it, time to command throw. If they start parrying it, start using the b-fierce headbutt move.
- forward fierce seems like an awesome anti-air, but if they parry it they get a fat combo so be wary
- use stomps sparingly, they are really good as it is an overhead, but again, good players can parry it on reaction
- use his punch command throw (power bomb) and not his kick command throw (ddt)
- Bread and butter combo - jump fierce -> standing medium kick -> jab flash punch. Does crazy damage, and you can make it even more damaging (and causes a knockdown) by EXing the flash punch. You should get this combo down, it isn't hard.
- fierce flash punch leads to crazy damage, but really slow. Use only for punishment situations.

EDIT:
His elbow charge is hold back for two seconds, forward and kick. His stomps are charge down then up and kick.

Awesome. Printing this post out so I have it as a reference next to me. Thanks.
And I just did the charge attacks as well. :D

Sayah

Hunter-Zero said:
Dude, you are answering your own question :p

Hold the stick back (or down-back), wait for a second, and move it forward, then push the buttons at the same time...i feel silly explaining this lol, it´s a basic mechanic in 2d fighters
I'm not much experienced in SF. Usually, I just mash buttons and lose when facing others.
Edit: And holding down-back makes it easier for me.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
haha got my 7 year old son on Arcade duty. He gets to Gill and I finish it off with different characters. Just did Twelve. He also gets "2nd Impact" colors, including grim reaper black.

Edit: Is Twelve's warbly fish voice off X-Copy toned down for some reason??

LakeEarth

I forgot to mention my favourite corner combo with Alex. This something that isn't necessary, and it's really risky, but it is so slick.

Get your opponent in the corner, and land a command throw. This will probably make them try to jump out next time. So at a little closer than half screen I neutral jump, and if I see them jump, you do an air d.fierce dive (which is unsafe as hell and should never be used on grounded opponents). If the air-dive connects, then you can juggle with the BIG BOOT, and you can juggle again with his forward fierce. This will reset them in the corner, which means an opportunity for even more damage.

ShaneB

Sayah said:
I'm not much experienced in SF. Usually, I just mash buttons and lose when facing others.
Edit: And holding down-back makes it easier for me.

No worries on asking questions :) We all started somewhere, it's fun to see beginners learn and progress and get better.

Plenty of information in the OP and great tutorial videos.

chemicals

Just downloaded and played some of the demo... I can't handle the xbox 360 controller's D-pad. It's just horrible. Are there any alternatives?

bob_arctor said:
haha got my 7 year old son on Arcade duty. He gets to Gill and I finish it off with different characters. Just did Twelve. He also gets "2nd Impact" colors, including grim reaper black.

Edit: Is Twelve's warbly fish voice off X-Copy toned down for some reason??
Child laborer!

Thanks. Good to know non-2i characters get additional colors.

Ferrio

Banned
Q's Oro trashed me the other day. Least I'm missing my karakusa->HP a lot less now, starting to have shit come back. Though I never did ever play a good Oro player, so took a bit to see what to look out for. Damn double jump fakeouts. Need to pull out the kara fukiage to keep him honest!

galvatron

LakeEarth said:
- d.fp is a decent anti-air and it hits twice, but if it hits once you can combo afterwards (I'd suggest his dp kick move as it causes a knockdown)
- standing fierce is his overhead. Use it on wakeup. When they get scared of it, time to command throw. If they start parrying it, start using the b-fierce headbutt move (and of course if they start reversal/super on wakeup, start blocking).
- forward fierce seems like an awesome anti-air, but if they parry it they get a fat combo so be wary
- use stomps sparingly, they are really good as it is an overhead, but again, good players can parry it on reaction
- Bread and butter combo - jump fierce -> standing medium kick -> jab flash punch. Does crazy damage, and you can make it even more damaging (and causes a knockdown) by EXing the flash punch. You should get this combo down, it isn't hard.
- fierce flash punch leads to crazy damage, but really slow. Use only for punishment situations.

EDIT:
His elbow charge is hold back for two seconds, forward and kick. His stomps are charge down then up and kick.

And never throw his jumping down fierce attack. Alex rolls after for a looooong time and is considered grounded the whole time. As a Hugo player, I love this move since its a free gigas breaker. Everyone else gets to land a free combo after this move is blocked.

V_Arnold

LeMaximilian said:
3rd STRIKE: Maximilian's THE ONLINE WARRIOR Episode 1: 'Memory Lane'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GBwi3BGwk4

I really missed this game so much. Can't wait to play more, but Ranked Matchmaking is broke on my end.

Whao man, I enjoyed hearing your tale! Subscribed.
Good games though, Haunts, goodlike parry! :)

Also, I played Viper quite extensively in SFIV/SSFIV. Currently trying to work on Alex, but do you have a suggestion whose gameplay/mixups I might be "familiar/compatible" with as a Viper player here?

I've found a lot of solid player matches today. A lot more greens and yellows. Much better experience than yesterday.
Raging Spaniard said:
Well, at least were arguing like gentlemen.

Internet shit is always so finicky, all my games always work fine,but then using Netflix on my consoles always kills my connection for some reason. (as in, it signs me out of the service)
I've been using Dudley for the first time ever(never even picked him is AE) and I'm having a blast with him. Shotos own me hard with him though...
galvatron said:
Here's the interview I was talking about:

Why matchmaking sucks
Interesting to say the least.
LakeEarth said:
- standing fierce is his overhead. Use it on wakeup. When they get scared of it, time to command throw. If they start parrying it, start using the b-fierce headbutt move (and of course if they start reversal/super on wakeup, start blocking).

EDIT:
Gonna have to make a note of this. Alex, Mak&Cheese and Dudley are looking like my favorites so far.

zlatko

Banned
_dementia said:
They really need to fix matchmaking.

I think what the issue is, and this is a shot in the dark from me so take it with a grain of salt, but the game is trying to match you (opponent A) to another person out of a list (opponent B). What happens is, that once you are in a lock for who B is, it still has a ton of other A's locked into that B, so the first one to make it gets the match, but the rest are still attempting to connect, and then it finally realizes oh this match isn't here anymore.

Hope that makes sense. If this is the case though, then it'll take a pretty big patch to fix the issue.

I think for my future Capcom fighter purchases though, I'm sticking with only Ono games at launch if I'm hyped for them, and every other development team is going to be a wait and see approach.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Question: why is Q's character portrait (during gameplay) so out of place and cheap looking? Just a bizarre choice imo though I like the idea of glowing eyes.

Ferrio

Banned
When there's that slight GGPO frameskipping, parrying a fireball (which is normally trivial) becomes a pain in the ass.

CozMick

Banned
Starting to get rather sick of the damn player match setup.

8th in the queue, sit around and enjoy spectating the host win 6 matches, get's to me, *MIGRATING HOST*, everyone from the server has disappeared.....

Back to square fucking one!

And if it's not that we get a scenario something a little like this.

Create lobby...............................

No one joins ever!

Or maybe.

Search for lobby, see a server with 7 out of 8 player, GREEN DOT! woot!, join server....

Every fucker has a RED DOT!!!

What the FUCK is wrong with this game?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today I started playing online and I'm undefeated so far (I use Remy).
Seems like most people just try to pick Ryu or Ken for an easy win lol. Fortunately, this is one game where button mashing will get you nowhere.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
When I say that I played a ton of SF3, I mean I played a TON of SF3 back in the days, from New Generation to 2nd Impact to Third Strike so it was cool to play around in the trial when I got home for about ten minutes before I had to leave again.

Inputs were so tight like I was used to, but I'll be damned if the stupid SF4 shortcuts didn't make me sloppy - stuff like c.HP into mule kick with Ryu took me a while to get done in the trial. Forgot how cool parrying was as well, and I got far with the parry trials in the demo but I gotta get the timing back for some of the stuff I used to know well.

Didn't buy it yet but I've been reading up on some of the lack of options and how messed up the online can get if your connection is already bad - gonna call up my friends later on to ask how their experience was with it since when I checked last night, the whole crew was in a SF3 lobby, and I'll probably be home late again tonight since I told them I would be there as well but plans changed.

Hope stuff like matchmaking gets fixed soon - I've never been a fan of Ranked in any online fighter because of the unpredictability with other people's connections and I rather stick to lobbies with local friends, but you never know when I actually might get the feeling to play some ranked.

CozMick said:
Starting to get rather sick of the damn player match setup.

8th in the queue, sit around and enjoy spectating the host win 6 matches, get's to me, *MIGRATING HOST*, everyone from the server has disappeared.....

Back to square fucking one!

And if it's not that we get a scenario something a little like this.

Create lobby...............................

No one joins ever!

Or maybe.

Search for lobby, see a server with 7 out of 8 player, GREEN DOT! woot!, join server....

Every fucker has a RED DOT!!!

What the FUCK is wrong with this game?

Also see a 7/8 room, try to join just for it to say the room is full. Probably because of a private slot.

Ferrio

Banned
SarcasticD said:
Also see a 7/8 room, try to join just for it to say the room is full. Probably because of a private slot.

I just hate that you can't set rooms smaller. I don't like playing in rooms with more than 4 people... this game pretty makes that impossible with people other than other gaffers.

K.Sabot said:
Is there no 2 person lobbies? If not, that's fucked up.

Nope the best you can do is set 6 slots to private. But then in the lobby browser it doesn't indicate how many slots are set to private.

ElFly

The online is really bad.

Which is a super shame, since SSF4 3DS is so much better. Faster ranked matches, silkier online experience, no rewinds, etc.

When the online is better on a Nintendo handheld, you know you fucked up.

zlatko

Banned
K.Sabot said:
Is there no 2 person lobbies? If not, that's fucked up.

If the host sets all private slots, and 1 open spot, you'll have a 2 person lobby, but unfortunately when searching for lobbies you can't tell the difference between any of them and what the player cap population is.

:/

GeoNeo

I disagree.
OK regarding GGPO:

If you're in a game and are getting lots of rollbacks and shit the problem is:

1: You are playing someone that has a ping relative to you of around 150ms+

2: You or the person you're vsing has an ISP or hardware that can't handle the high packet load of the game thus skipping is occurring

3: The default smoothing value of 2 maybe simply too low for your connection 3 or higher should result is much less roll backs

4: The person you are vsing forgot to turn their torrents off or one of their family members is currently watching their favorite ep of Everybody Loves Raymond on Hulu.

5: The lack of region filtering and not showing ping values is stupid as fuck of the devs

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
GGPO is not going to fix the crappy connection between you and the person you are playing. The rollbacks are necessary for action arbitration. It will attempt to ensure that the person whos actions should have come out first actually come out first.

People don't understand how ggpo works. News at 11.

GrayFoxPL

Got it.

I have no problem with move execution but I can't fucking pull off ex moves most of the time - the double input doesn't register. Fucking hell.

Online is a clusterfuck. Long wait in matchmaking is one thing but lobby only player matches is another. Why do people want them? You wait 20 minutes for your turn and if the host don't kick you out, it may be a lagfest or connection will brake.

I only get player with orange or red ping. Hopefully it's that euro guys didn't buy it yet if not lol.

Do any of Elena non-ex-specials combo?
Took me all last night that Elena's QCB+K doesn't combo from any normals. Only her Cr. Lk & Cr. Mp combo to QCB+KK. I thought I could use it like Bison's scissor kicks for safe chip.
Good combo for elena is Cr MP, QCB+KK, HCB+KK, Lk SRK.

I guess she needs meter for EX moves than her Super.

Ferrio

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Got it.

I have no problem with move execution but I can't fucking pull off ex moves most of the time - the double input doesn't register. Fucking hell.

Good news, SA3 yuns don't use EX!

Oh i'm responding to the wrong person!

BadWolf

Ferrio said:
SA3 is. SA2? Geez forget what that one even is...

SA2 is the 3 meter combo super.

SolarKnight said:
Genei-jin is pretty much what makes Yun as broken as he is, so no.

Good, like Yun but not the SA3 bs, tried using him with SA2 today and had a lot of fun. Was wondering how high he ranks without SA3.

CozMick

Banned
I host player lobbies with this connection...

45862113.png

112017011.png

And no-one ever joins! EVER!

Yet a guy with what seems to be a wireless mobile phone dongle gets full rooms for the entire day.

FML, what a waste :'(

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I am assuming the online issues will get ironed out.

Someone send the bat signal up to s-kill we need some answers.

Arcblade

Banned
BadWolf said:
SA2 is the 3 meter combo super.

Good, like Yun but not the SA3 bs, tried using him with SA2 today and had a lot of fun. Was wondering how high he ranks without SA3.

Do mean you against other characters using their best SA?

Or using their most equal SA?

Because tier placement in 3S is quite arguably primarily about the viability of a character's best SA

Top Bottom