• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
SolarPowered said:
There are always exceptions, but it was a trainwreck for most people. Trying to make it sound like it was solid at launch is just not true. Ranked searching never worked(I'm not even sure it works works now) and the lag was worse than SF at launch(which was acceptable). It was certainly not good and laggier than usual.

I just dont agree man, i agree that the UI was poorly conceived but from personal experience (ranked and player matches) once I got to a match it was very close to a SF IV experience (and it being a much faster game, plus 3v3 left a positive impression) As far as everybody else, I dont recall people in the MvC3 thread bitching any more than usual, like in this thread, for example.

LakeEarth

GuardianE said:
I played against an Akuma, and after he took the first round, I thought he taunted post victory. I didn't realize that Akuma did a pose and then did another pose after getting a win. So, I proceeded to taunt him after winning the next two rounds. I felt bad afterwards.
Hey, you gotta get that taunting achievement somehow.

GuardianE said:
I played against an Akuma, and after he took the first round, I thought he taunted post victory. I didn't realize that Akuma did a pose and then did another pose after getting a win. So, I proceeded to taunt him after winning the next two rounds. I felt bad afterwards.
It sounds like he taunted. I think Akuma only does one action during his winpose.

ScOULaris

GuardianE said:
I always taunt with Akuma before the win pose. Feels good, man.
3AQmK.gif

Maxrunner

Phat Michael said:
but seriously tho - this is a MUCH better game.

Does that really matter??since when the quality of a game has been the main factor to price it??ive played this game many times, i shouldnt be asked a inadequate price just because they added new functions to a game that's basically done for how many years???

Im Just getting full version now, if any body wishes to fight a complete scrub or use me to practice on then add D1ablo_J1n Cheers :)

I still havent picked a character yet so will be maining with Ryu or ken (rollseyes) Never really played SFIII so its quite new to me :)

Raging Spaniard said:
I just dont agree man, i agree that the UI was poorly conceived but from personal experience (ranked and player matches) once I got to a match it was very close to a SF IV experience (and it being a much faster game, plus 3v3 left a positive impression) As far as everybody else, I dont recall people in the MvC3 thread bitching any more than usual, like in this thread, for example.
I spent way too much time in the MvC3 threads and I saw a lot of bitching, but this game has all the features in place to make it a fun fighter if the online gets better which is a little harder to to say for spectator-less MvC3.

I'm more than willing to wait it out on this one since solid online titles BlazBlue were a little finicky before they really took off. The part I don't get is how me and my friend who have green bars on everything(25 MINUTES DAMMIT) are yellow. Do you have to live in the same building as someone to have it green? It ain't like my connection is bad, I have great games with gaffers who live on the other side of the US...

ScOULaris

GAF really has a way of nitpicking to the point of making every new title sound awful by consensus. Do I hope that they fix the matchmaking and tweak a few online features in future patches? Sure I do. But I'm still having a great time with 3S:OE because I finally get to play Third Strike against a large pool of competition. The fact that I get to play it on my HD TV with my HRAP3 makes it even better, since I missed out on 3S when it was in arcades.

Come on, guys. This is still a really slick package for $15, and GGPO's worst-case scenario is still much more playable than SSFIV's slow-motion, input-ruining play under laggy circumstances.

I also appreciate the ability to turn remixed tracks on or off on a per-stage basis. That's just cool. You can also replace the default title track if the rapping starts to grate on you after a while.

Sayah

Trying really hard to enjoy this but can't seem to get into it. Is SFIV pretty similar to this with combos that give barely a time window to connect attacks and require me do circle rotations all over the d-pad? Maybe back then, the game was considered a genre definer but at the current moment I can't seem to be enjoying it as much as I enjoy other fighters.

Sayah said:
Trying really hard to enjoy this but can't seem to get into it. Is SFIV pretty similar to this with combos that give barely a time window to connect attacks and require me do circle rotations all over the d-pad? Maybe back then, the game was considered a genre definer but at the current moment I can't seem to be enjoying it as much as I enjoy other fighters.
Do you play mostly 3D fighters? Circle motion are in every 2D fighter. You will get used to it though.

Apoc87

Banned
Sorry if it's been posted before, but can anyone figure out how to turn visible button inputs on in training mode?

Can't remember if you could in the original third strike, but I can't think of a fighting game that doesn't have this option.

If the option isn't there, then it's really fucking stupid.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
SolarPowered said:
I spent way too much time in the MvC3 threads and I saw a lot of bitching, but this game has all the features in place to make it a fun fighter if the online gets better which is a little harder to to say for spectator-less MvC3.

I'm more than willing to wait it out on this one since solid online titles BlazBlue were a little finicky before they really took off. The part I don't get is how me and my friend who have green bars on everything(25 MINUTES DAMMIT) are yellow. Do you have to live in the same building as someone to have it green? It ain't like my connection is bad, I have great games with gaffers who live on the other side of the US...

Well, at least were arguing like gentlemen.

Internet shit is always so finicky, all my games always work fine,but then using Netflix on my consoles always kills my connection for some reason. (as in, it signs me out of the service)

Sayah

Terareflection said:
Do you play mostly 3D fighters? Circle motion are in every 2D fighter. You will get used to it though.
Yeah, I mostly grew up with 3D fighters (Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive). I found MvC3 easy to get into but the combos are just insane to pull off in this one and I can't even imagine doing them with any sort of online lag present.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Sayah said:
If you're not willing to put in the work to learn then you're wasting your time.

Sayah

Apoc87 said:
Sorry if it's been posted before, but can anyone figure out how to turn visible button inputs on in training mode?

Can't remember if you could in the original third strike, but I can't think of a fighting game that doesn't have this option.

If the option isn't there, then it's really fucking stupid.
I believe I did see the option in menu somewhere to display button inputs. Do a good search of the pause menu.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sayah said:
Yeah, I mostly grew up with 3D fighters (Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive). I found MvC3 easy to get into but the combos are just insane to pull off in this one and I can't even imagine doing them with any sort of online lag present.

You probably just don't have the muscle memory yet. It takes time. Keep in mind that some of the more advanced combos in the trial mode are pretty much useless or for styling.

ShaneB

Sayah said:
I believe I did see the option in menu somewhere to display button inputs. Do a good search of the pause menu.

Want someone to confirm this, I could not find it either last night and it really upset.

Sayah

bob_arctor said:
If you're not willing to put in the work to learn then you're wasting your time.
I'm not giving up on it already. I just need to find a main first. I'll probably go with Akuma, Ibuki, or Dudley. If I'm hopefully able to get into this game and master it with at least one character, then that should make the transition into SFIV easier for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sayah said:
I'm not giving up on it already. I just need to find a main first. I'll probably go with Akuma, Ibuki, or Dudley. If I'm hopefully able to get into this game and master it with at least one character, then that should make the transition into SFIV easier for me.

Street Fighter IV is really different. I mean, practice with any Capcom fighter will help you learn the basics and improve your execution, so it'll definitely prepare you. Not quite sure if a transition from Third Strike to SFIV or a transition from SFIV to Third Strike is easier.

Sayah said:

I'd lower your expectations. Fighting games are a continuous learning experience. It is very rare that a character is mastered.

Sayah

I thought that if you turned the "attack data" on under "training options," it would display the inputs. But nevermind, it only shows the amount of damage you inflict. Besides that, I don't see anything else either.

hsin

Banned
bs000 said:
If I could find a 3S machine I'd probably pump $15 into it in a day anyway.

At least, that's how I justify it...

I did that all throughout the first year of University :D

GuardianE said:
Street Fighter IV is really different. I mean, practice with any Capcom fighter will help you learn the basics and improve your execution, so it'll definitely prepare you. Not quite sure if a transition from Third Strike to SFIV or a transition from SFIV to Third Strike is easier.

IMO, SFIV to 3S seems easier.

kitzkozan

Sayah said:

You need timing and dexterity to pull off the hardest combo yes, but the game isn't about 1 frame links like SFIV. But yes, pulling off big combos in SFII, III and IV has never been the easiest thing. Parrying demand it's own timing as well, especially since it will differ for every type of attack (normal, special, ex, super) . Keep practicing and you will eventually develop the muscle memory which will make things easier.

Apoc87

Banned
No button inputs in training mode
no way to get rid of trophy/achievement displays on side bars
kinda crappy online
no original music

WINNING

Sayah

ProtoCents said:
I'd lower your expectations. Fighting games are a continuous learning experience. It is very rare that a character is mastered.
Well, replace "master" with "get experienced" with at least one character.

GuardianE said:
Well, SFIV does come after so I was hoping it would work that way, haha. Maybe I'll just pick up AE next time I'm buying games.

GuardianE said:

I always taunt after I win. I even do it during the match since Elena's taunt causes knock down.

Sayah

hsin said:
I did that all throughout the first year of University :D

IMO, SFIV to 3S seems easier.
Really? Maybe I'll hold off on this and get SFIV first.

kitzkozan said:
You need timing and dexterity to pull off the hardest combo yes, but the game isn't about 1 frame links like SFIV. But yes, pulling off big combos in SFII, III and IV has never been the easiest thing. Parrying demand it's own timing as well, especially since it will differ for every type of attack (normal, special, ex, super) . Keep practicing and you will eventually develop the muscle memory which will make things easier.
Gonna have to put insane hours in SF. Had to do the same for Tekken 6 and MvC3. I must get better or I won't do well in any tournaments at school. :p

Soulstar

It's sad to hear that people are having such problems on online games because it's been very smooth for the most part for me. There were a couple rounds that the background music just disappeared though which was odd.

Apoc87 said:
No button inputs in training mode
no way to get rid of trophy/achievement displays on side bars
kinda crappy online
no original music

WINNING
The original music is there, you unlock it through the vault and can set it as the music. Sucks about the side bar stuff though, it's a bit distracting and the only means of getting rid of it is going stretched/widescreen.

Sayah

Soulstar said:
It's sad to hear that people are having such problems on online games because it's been very smooth for the most part for me. There were a couple rounds that the background music just disappeared though which was odd.
I only had one or two laggy matches. Everything else was pretty good.

oracrest

The PSN GAF chat invite, is that a permanent ongoing room that gaffers go to, or are you guys creating new ones? I haven't used the PSN chats/rooms before.

Also, anyone else wanting sprite avatars, just shoot me a PM with your character and color scheme...

LakeEarth

Sayah said:
I suggest Alex to most beginners. He does big damage, 2-4 hit combos max, and relatively simple.

galvatron

Soulstar said:
I had that too. That bug was also in CvS2 on xbox at launch, so maybe it's a tradition :)

Soulstar said:

My only problem with online is the matchmaking and losing my spot in lobbies. Other than that, it's going well for me. Even though the ping can be a little deceiving.

Man, did a player match. Played like 5 or so games in a row. Really had a blast, felt like old times again.

Ranked matches aren't doing it for me yet, too many issues. Is there a GAF 3rd Strike group (region based perhaps) or something? I'm from Midwestern US.

Foxtastical said:
Man, did a player match. Played like 5 or so games in a row. Really had a blast, felt like old times again.

Ranked matches aren't doing it for me yet, too many issues. Is there a GAF 3rd Strike group (region based perhaps) or something? I'm from Midwestern US.
PSN has a 3S GAF chatroom and XBL has the 3S metatag. See OP.

LakeEarth

Sayah said:
Thanks. I'll start practice with him right now actually.
Gonna throw out some Alex notes here:
- use meter for EX, unless you get a juicy opportunity for super damage
- EX elbow charge is fast and can punish a lot of stuff
- d.fp is a decent anti-air and it hits twice, but if it hits once you can combo afterwards (I'd suggest his dp kick move as it causes a knockdown)
- standing fierce is his overhead. Use it on wakeup. When they get scared of it, time to command throw. If they start parrying it, start using the b-fierce headbutt move (and of course if they start reversal/super on wakeup, start blocking).
- forward fierce seems like an awesome anti-air, but if they parry it they get a fat combo so be wary
- use stomps sparingly, they are really good as it is an overhead, but again, good players can parry it on reaction
- use his punch command throw (power bomb) and not his kick command throw (ddt)
- Bread and butter combo - jump fierce -> standing medium kick -> jab flash punch. Does crazy damage, and you can make it even more damaging (and causes a knockdown) by EXing the flash punch. You should get this combo down, it isn't hard.
- fierce flash punch leads to crazy damage, but really slow. Use only for punishment situations.

EDIT:
His elbow charge is hold back for two seconds, forward and kick. His stomps are charge down then up and kick.

Top Bottom