• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I tend to just play characters whose playstyle I like, or look cool. It's rare that I end up playing low tier characters, though.

Tymerend

Already pre-ordered, and can't wait! Haven't played 3S in years. Going to spend the first week getting my ass kicked around relearning how to parry.

PSN - Tymerend

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Skilletor said:
Do you purposely neuter yourself or do you just end up liking those characters because of the way they play?

Because I think it's silly when people are like, "I'm not going to play top tier characters!" just because they're top tier.

Back in the arcade days (1999!) I had no idea about tiers or anything and I just played with Chun-Li thinking "Holy shit! Im AWESOME with Chun-Li all of a sudden!"

Blessed ignorance.

thetrin said:
I tend to just play characters whose playstyle I like, or look cool. It's rare that I end up playing low tier characters, though.

Pretty much this.

It's just as silly to base who you play on the statistical likely hood that you will win more matches. :\

PLAY GAMES, HAVE FUN!

Skilletor

thetrin said:

Same. I always play fast characters. I can tell who I'm playing in a game at a glance.

I love Ibuki in the SF3 series. I've played her in every version despite the wax and wane of her position on tier lists.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I used to play Akuma mostly in SF3, but I think I'll get in on the Ryu train this time. dabble around a bit with Makoto and Urien too probably, but they always seemed to difficult to play properly. :(

I find that if I play with a mid-tier character whose playstyle I enjoy and meshes well with the way I tend to play, I win more matches, and have more fun, than if I persevere with a top tier character whose playstyle I struggle to get to grips with.

I like charge characters so I'll mostly be playing Oro and Remy to start out with, even though i don't do terribly well with them.
Makoto, previously one of my most hated chars, I learned to enjoy in SSIV, so i'm looking forward to revisiting her in TSO.

kokujin said:
I used Sean in 2nd Impact, and that carried over to 3S.I ended up maining with Q, but I am trying to learn Urien.
Urien is my favorite character in the game. so fun landing those tackle juggles and Aegis setups.

Smo21

Raging Spaniard said:
Back in the arcade days (1999!) I had no idea about tiers or anything and I just played with Chun-Li thinking "Holy shit! Im AWESOME with Chun-Li all of a sudden!"

Blessed ignorance.

LOL i did the exact same thing.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Skilletor said:
Do you purposely neuter yourself or do you just end up liking those characters because of the way they play?

Because I think it's silly when people are like, "I'm not going to play top tier characters!" just because they're top tier.
As a Twelve player, I do like the challenge in scraping out a win with him but consider him just a cool looking character. Hugo was always my first choice before I even knew anything about tiers. Same with Remy. I used to play Makoto but could never realize her awesome potential so I got frustrated and moved on. Q is just plain badass.

Skilletor said:

I don't understand this either.

I also hate players (the small minority) that purposely use low tier so they have a built in excuse when they lose. My friend does this, and I have seen plenty of people through the years on message boards and in arcades use this crutch. They talk shit when they win once in a while, then use the I lost because my character sucks excuse.

Not saying anybody in here does that, but it irks me.

I use Elena, but I know when I am getting outplayed, doesn't matter my character.

People should use who they want, top tier or not.

thetrin said:

same here.

i stick with who I like, unless it's something insane like day 1 with Makoto in SSFIV (non-AE)--just tons of losses and heart break seeing half her moves being useless. Day 1 AE Makoto made up for it though (everything works again!)

sephi22

Skilletor said:

Its a mix of both honestly. I love how El Fuerte plays. Hakumen plays the closest to a SF character so I play him (lol Jin), and I like how Sektor plays.
Knowing that these characters are mid-low tier makes it that much sweeter when I win. I like knowing that I beat the opponent, not my character.

At the same time, I don't blame my losses on my characters. I know full well that its my decision to stick to this characters and there's no one to blame but me if a V-13 or Honda spoils my day.

My best track record is in Mahvel 3 coz I just don't give a fuck in that game. Tier whore all day.

_dementia said:
Necro didn't raise any flags for you though?

Because Effie looks really young.

You'd think it would, I think it was cause Necro looked like some sort of alien and Q looked like a dude in a trench coat with a gimp mask.

ShaneB

_dementia said:
Urien is my favorite character in the game. so fun landing those tackle juggles and Aegis setups.

I was set on maining Dudley, but the first time I played Urien I knew he'd be my main. All those tactics and setups are so fun.

Kioshen

Crisis said:
Do we know what the DLC for the game is yet?

Only thing that we know right now is that there are going to make available the 16 player invitational tournament replays that they had to fully test the game out. Other than that, they keep it pretty close to their chest.

Kimosabae

Banned
*sigh*

My favorite SF game, but I find it hard to get excited about this release. Just feels like too little too late.

My GT is SynikaL2k4

Azure J

Yet another fighter I need to get my hands on and wreck shit/be wrecked in on the quest for glory. :lol

Rindokan everywhere in this bitch.

El Sloth

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Outside GGPO, the other features are mostly extraneous to me. At first I was against it, but after further consideration, I really think this needed a rebalance.
Well, it's not like a re-balance in the future is outside of the realm of possibility. They could, for example, release one in the future to cockblock the release of a competitors fighting game to bring back those who got tired of it.
Vespa said:
Street Fighter III: New Generation

Forgot to ask but does anybody know how to make the above code work?
Replace "color= red" and "color" for "highlight".

Vespa

El Sloth said:
Well, it's not like a re-balance in the future is out of the realm of possibility. They could, for example, release one in the future to cockblock the release of a competitors fighting game to bring back those who got tired of it.

Replace "color= red" and "color" for "highlight".

You are the man/sloth! Thanks.

RS4-

CO_Andy said:
If the the 2nd Impact or OG characters were added as DLC, do ya'll think it would ruin the balance of the game?

I don't care about balance, I care about fun and that's what it would have been if they included NG and 2i

CO_Andy said:
If the the 2nd Impact or OG characters were added as DLC, do ya'll think it would ruin the balance of the game?

Well, it'd automatically move Sean A LOT of places up on the tier list at least. I think.

CO_Andy said:

I personally wouldn't like that. They should just rebalance the game if they were to do that. People would just start picking Sean and Ibuki more again. At that point, just tweak them (and everybody else) in 3rd strike proper. Maybe they can fix the hit box on Chun's fierce so it doesn't hit through time and space, haha.

I would like all the backgrounds from NG and 2I though. That would be cool DLC.

Kimosabae

Banned
Chun's Fierce is supposed to be godly. It's the cr. MK that needs tweaking. It needs its range reduced or it shouldn't be hit confirmable.

RS4-

Kimosabae said:
Chun's Fierce is supposed to be godly. It's the cr. MK that needs tweaking. It needs its range reduced or it shouldn't be hit confirmable.

aa fierce xx legs is so good.

El Sloth

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Where the hell have you been?
I've been here lurking. Posting mostly in the stream thread or in the OT. Hang out a lot in IRC.
crimzonflame said:
Seth said DLC will not be balance updates or new characters.
Well, for now. That doesn't mean they won't ever consider a balance update. But I don't think that would be anytime soon or very likely to happen in the first place, if I'm being honest with myself. Just saying it's not impossible.

I like black boxers so I will play as Dudley.

"But he's not Balrog, spin." Yeah, I know.

"And he doesn't play like Balrog." Yeah, I know.

"And he isn't as rude and brash as Balrog." Damn it, I know. u_u

Top Bottom