• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Vespa

ThatCrazyGuy said:
I would like all the backgrounds from NG and 2I though. That would be cool DLC.
This is my prediction, I'd pay whatever they asked too. Would be nice to get the older NG and 2I colour combinations, Turquoise Sean is delicious!

uRu7U.jpg

Check out the older colours from the series for your favourite character here: http://www.zweifuss.ca/index.htm

Crisis

Banned
spindashing said:
I like black boxers so I will play as Dudley.

"But he's not Balrog, spin." Yeah, I know.

"And he doesn't play like Balrog." Yeah, I know.

"And he isn't as rude and brash as Balrog." Damn it, I know. u_u
Isn't Dudley Indian?

SoulFist

As a player who wasn't really been deep in to any fighting games outside of SF4, what should I be expecting to have to adjust to,to be successful in this game?

Dartastic said:
My XBL membership just expired. =(

...anyone know of any deals going on before this game comes out?
:(

You just missed this one:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440640

Mine arrived yesterday! going to redeem it closer to Gears 3 though.

SoulFist said:
As a player who wasn't really been deep in to any fighting games outside of SF4, what should I be expecting to have to adjust to,to be successful in this game?
instead of picking Yun and Fei, pick Yun and Chun

_dementia said:
I miss color edit in FGs games. Alas, in the age of DLC colors...

At least KOF13 is supposed to have it.

i was gonna say, I loved CVS2's color edit mode.

my favorite creation was a pretty easy Hibiki = the princess from ICO.

Sakura with panties that match her hair color

ETC ETC ETC...

El Sloth

Banned
spindashing said:

He asks to fight like gentlemen and then throws a thorny rose at you mid match. And he calls you gutter trash after he beats you into submission. If that ain't rude then I don't know what is.

Mista Koo

I want to get this but I suck at it, it's not as casual friendly as IV :(

ThatCrazyGuy said:
I also hate players (the small minority) that purposely use low tier so they have a built in excuse when they lose. My friend does this, and I have seen plenty of people through the years on message boards and in arcades use this crutch. They talk shit when they win once in a while, then use the I lost because my character sucks excuse.
What if I use Dan?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, there's no way to pre-order this on XBL, right? :(

I'm really looking forward to this. I never had a chance to really learn this game back when it came out.

Kimosabae

Banned
Mista Koo said:
I want to get this but I suck at it, it's not as casual friendly as IV :(

What if I use Dan?

3S really isn't hard to play per se. It just doesn't have egregious comeback mechanics (think MK9's common resource meter management) and it actually doesn't fuck over players looking for precision in their fundamentals with a shitty buffer window for all inputs. You will get bodied by players more dedicated than you in this game (and the game's been around a long time).

But it isn't hard to learn or play at all, generally.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For 3rd Strike gurus, what -is- your opinion on the tier balance in the game in its current state of play?

We've all seen videos of Japanese Sean players taking Yun's lunch money. The parry system does, at least, give characters options they wouldn't have in most games.

But given that parries can compensate for some things, what does "low tier" really mean right now in 3s?

Day one purchase for me. Been practicing on the PS2 version which I heard was fast but I am ready.

PSN: GunnerGlory (Region: North America, EST)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Kaijima said:
For 3rd Strike gurus, what -is- your opinion on the tier balance in the game in its current state of play?

We've all seen videos of Japanese Sean players taking Yun's lunch money. The parry system does, at least, give characters options they wouldn't have in most games.

But given that parries can compensate for some things, what does "low tier" really mean right now in 3s?

Well, as always, isn't tier indicated on matchups based on two players of equal skill? I don't think there should be an assumption that both players are parry gods. Parrying is a universal feature, not character dependent, so it shouldn't really play a role. Tiers in 3S, like any game, should be about options and matchups.

EDIT: Oh, I should've read. I'm not a 3rd Strike guru. I'm a 3rd Strike newbie.

CO_Andy said:
If the the 2nd Impact or OG characters were added as DLC, do ya'll think it would ruin the balance of the game?
Well, maybe. Ryu could certainly compete with Chun though. The Double Denjin was just nasty.

Kaijima said:

Sean vs Yun is a horrible match up. Parries can equalize some of it, but 3s as a whole is a very different beast compared to every other capcom fighter. There really isn't much of a zoning game because parries basically eliminate zoning. You won't see fireball traps, etc. Throwing is much more predominent and the game is mostly about mixups because of the parry system.

As it stands, the top tier is Chun, Yun and Ken. The game is horribly balanced in Chun Li's favor, just because of her super and her normals. Her fierce punch will stuff a dragon punch. She has a super high crouching roundhouse that's incredibly meaty as well. Pretty much all her normals are better than damn near anybody else's in the game. She gets two super bars for her lightning legs super, and that thing will go through fireballs because it's invincible on start up. You can also combo it on reaction as well.

Yun's genei jin isn't as broken, but it benefits from having multiple short bars, and can be done a few times during a round. That's why it's dangerous. Yun is also an extremely mobile character.

Ken has great normals, and his mp hp dragon does great damage. His third super has three bars and can be combo'd on reaction with his crouching medium kick. He has great pokes and mixups as well.

I wish they'd do a little rebalancing. I talked to the producer at Evo and he said that simply wasn't in the cards. That's okay though. 3s is still my favorite fighter of all time.

Out of curiosity, how many of you actually played any of the 3 series when it was in the arcades?

I hope that GGPO netcode doesn't fuck me up. I parried like crazy when I played 3s.

El Sloth said:
He asks to fight like gentlemen and then throws a thorny rose at you mid match. And he calls you gutter trash after he beats you into submission. If that ain't rude then I don't know what is.

It's that subtle British wit at work!

TimeKillr

Hitoribhoshi said:
karas are in every SF games, those are bugs though, yeah. useful one for some characters, not so much for others.

It's just very effective in 3s.

(and it's not like tehy didn't know those were in IV before shipping, but they didn't care)

BTW, it's not that they didn't care about kara cancelling, it's that it's an unintended side effect of an actual feature they refuse to take out because it makes playing a bit easier.

Basically, every move (with some exceptions) can be cancelled within the first few frames into a special. This is so that special moves come out more easily (there's a TON of subsystems to make moves come out easier in SF - this is but one of them. Negative Edge is another). The problem is that some normals provide movement along with the attack, which then is not reverted when cancelling into a special.

Roll Cancelling that was in CvS2 was basically that - you'd kara cancel a roll into a special. The problem with RCing was that internally, the game is threaded, and the invincibility that is associated to a move runs on a separate thread. When you'd cancel the roll into a special, the timer thread that said you were invincible for X frames was not terminated, which resulted into invincible moves that shouldn't be invincible. Strangely the community embraced RCing into CvS2 because it evened out the roster. :)

ShaneB

Still only have a few people send invites to the xbl metatag GAF 3S

I've copied this from the MvC3 thread, as it explains it much better than I've done apparently.

"To play with other GAF users with 360s, this is the method we'll be using:

Add the Gamertag "GAF 3S" to your friends list.

From here, you can select the gamertag in your friends list on your 360, cycle right into their "Personal Profile" and select "View Friends."

From there, you can see all the other Gaffers that have added this GAF 3S gamertag, making it function as a hub where you can send invites for 3S games to each other and the full shenanigans."

Hope that works, and maybe can get put in the OP.

Just trying to make it easy for us all to find players to get full lobbies :)

Imm0rt4l

spindashing said:

You don't have enough dignity to play dud spin, sorry.

Thanks for the responses. Ken has always been my favorite Street Fighter so I guess I can main him. I just fell in love with Blanka's style from SF4.

Are there any characters in 3S that you can classify as a shenanigans type of fighter?

qcf x2

EteRnal_PAL said:
Thanks for the responses. Ken has always been my favorite Street Fighter so I guess I can main him. I just fell in love with Blanka's style from SF4.

Are there any characters in 3S that you can classify as a shenanigans type of fighter?

Shenanigans don't work with parries. But yes, there is one: Twelve.

mr_chun

Can't wait for this. Pre-ordered with my PS+ discount. And great work on the thread!

I'm pretty excited, cause I'm one of those weird people that played SFII all the way up to SFIV's release. I completely missed out on III. This version looks great, and I'm very pleased by the [surprisingly] large amount of content and fan service that CAPCOM crammed in there. Not something I expected from them, given their recent track record.

El Sloth said:

I think the correct term for this type of behaviour is classy.

Imm0rt4l said:
You don't have enough dignity to play dud spin, sorry.
I have loads of that.
;_;

El Sloth said:
You're right. I mistook his sophistication for kindness. Actually, his Street Fighter IV voice sounded more likeable. His Third Strike voice is so douchey.

RedSwirl said:
Why does Dudley have blue eyes?
Why do Guile and Dee Jay have no eyebrows?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
El Sloth said:
Well he see's that the other isn't fighting like a gentleman and goes all out is all. :p

El Sloth

Banned
Why does Elena have white hair? Because Japan, that's why.
spindashing said:
You're right. I mistook his sophistication for kindness. Actually, his Street Fighter IV voice sounded more likeable. His Third Strike voice is so douchey.
Imm0rt4l is right, you have no dignity. I am dissapoint, son.
QisTopTier said:
Well he see's that the other isn't fighting like a gentleman and goes all out is all. :p
So if Dudley had his way then the whole cast would be throwing roses? I can dig that. Akuma throwing roses...

Kimosabae

Banned
I agree with Spin. After Super released, first thing I noticed after witnessing 3S Dudley again was how shitty he sounded in comparison.

El Sloth said:
Imm0rt4l is right, you have no dignity. I am dissapoint, son.
dudley-taunt.gif

Kimosabae said:
I agree with Spin. After Super released, first thing I noticed after witnessing 3S Dudley again was how shitty he sounded in comparison.
See! IV's voice was a massive downgrade from Third Strike.

Top Bottom