• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Imm0rt4l said:
Yea, combofiend doesn't like playing the really strong characters, he likes the challenge. He used to dislike playing abel cuz he said abel was too good and so he played guy and mak. I'm a little guilty as well of not picking top, I don't want the character winning for me, I want to win on my own accord even though I really do like Yun. My character isn't a very strong one but I kinda like playing the obscure and difficult character, the wins are never empty, although I do wish he were more viable.
I play whoever has the most bullshit amazing reversal Supers, hence Hazama And Nathan "BIONIC ARMMM" Spencer.
Rappelling mechanics is a plus for those two also.

I end up not playing top tiers, but it's not top tier skill that I'm looking to avoid. I just hate to play a character that I see over and over again online, I like variety and since the top tiers are usually the most played I never pick 'em. I'll also not play a character that isn't top tier, but still common like Ken in SFIV. Plus I usually think that it's to my advantage when playing non pros to have a character that they might not know all the tricks of.

So I usually end up playing a character that is mid tier but is uncommon. I'm thinking that Oro or Alex might fit the bill for my first try at SFIII.

Mengetsu

QisTopTier said:
I always said that oro was making them suck him off with his neutral grab.... LOL Now I guess... I got proof!

sICNm.gif

That's funny though never noticed that now i can't unsee >__<

Can't wait for this i need to order a new controller soon.

gutter_trash said:
I prefer Ken and Ryu's play style in the SF3s way more than the SF4s style.

they seam to be more badass, tough and fun in the SF3s

Joudan Sokutou Geri is the best shoto move ever. I love how it looks in SFIII and MvC with the wall bounce.

Skilletor

TheFightingFish said:
I end up not playing top tiers, but it's not top tier skill that I'm looking to avoid. I just hate to play a character that I see over and over again online, I like variety and since the top tiers are usually the most played I never pick 'em. I'll also not play a character that isn't top tier, but still common like Ken in SFIV. Plus I usually think that it's to my advantage when playing non pros to have a character that they might not know all the tricks of.

So I usually end up playing a character that is mid tier but is uncommon. I'm thinking that Oro or Alex might fit the bill for my first try at SFIII.

That's not true at all. Most people don't even know what tiers are. They stick with the popular characters. Yun is top tier, but I doubt many people will be very good with him because the execution needed for genei jin stuff is a lot higher than ken/chun.

People choose Ken and Ryu not because they're good, but because they're Ryu and Ken.

I'm not going to let what/who others play dictate my fun.

I don‘t really care what tier the characters I use are as long as they‘re fun either. The characters I want to use always end up being really good though.

3S: Mak and Ken.
KoFXIII: Kyo and Liz are really strong and K is S tier.
Blazblue: Tao is REALLY good even if hard to use.
TvC: Zero is pretty much unarguable top and Rock is pretty good.
MvC3: Zero and Ammy are just outside the top 5. Hsien-ko wasn‘t as lucky though...
etc. etc.

Only exception seems to be SF4. Vanilla Rose and Sak weren‘t that good IIRC, and Super Mak was, well, Super Mak >_>

ShaneB

gutter_trash said:
I prefer Ken and Ryu's play style in the SF3s way more than the SF4s style.

they seam to be more badass, tough and fun in the SF3s

I'm the same way actually. Shotos in SF4 bored me so much, and I never played them, but in 3 I love the heck out of em and they're plenty fun to play.

Also, keep those friend requests for the GAF 3S metatag coming! It'll make things so much better!

Kimosabae said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I thought you were saying his IV voice is better?
Y0RZm.gif

Kimosabae said:
I like the way Dudley looks and sounds better in SSF4. Sorry. His sprite work looks totally undistinguished.
If we had SSF4's looks and Third Strike's voice, that would be the most awesome Dudley.

WTF @ ORO BALLS.

zlatko

Banned
CozMick said:
It's always been 23rd on PSN, 24th on XBL

Ugh. They always kept mentioning the 23rd date, so I just assumed both get it same day.

What's the reasoning behind this? Live marketplace updates a day later than PSN or something I assume?

Seriously bummed out/pissed a bit now. I was counting down the days to the 23rd too. :/

Azure J

QisTopTier said:
Same I just use who clicks with me, I don't care if I lose. As long as I'm enjoying the character and gameplay I'm satisfied. Doesn't mean I don't try to rape face though :)

This is my usual response to picking any playing characters, but I must admit that I find it funny that in the entirety of my gaming life, I'd always wind up picking A (as in under A+ & S tier) characters to main/get accustomed to. I won't know a damn thing about them, see them in action once, fall in love and then find out later that they're in that niche. :lol

As hilarious as this was, is it bad that I saw "Let's Get It On" and started humming the theme/doing the hook out loud? :lol

zlatko said:
Ugh. They always kept mentioning the 23rd date, so I just assumed both get it same day.

What's the reasoning behind this? Live marketplace updates a day later than PSN or something I assume?

Seriously bummed out/pissed a bit now. I was counting down the days to the 23rd too. :/
Xbox Arcade games have always been released on Wednesdays. PSN games used to be released on Thursdays but Sony changed that day to Tuesdays instead so games being released on both services now come out a day first on PSN.

Kimosabae

Banned
I always go for aesthetics first and versatility in gameplay second. I can like a character but won't stick with him/her if the gameplay mechanics of the character aren't versatile. Given my criteria, very rarely do I end up with a supposed "low tier". The only one of managed to be stuck with is Soulcalibur 2 Yun, and he was arguably better than the competitive community gave him credit for IMO.

3s Ken is one of my favorite fighting game character ever.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419105

explodet

Back when I didn't know/care about tiers I repped Jon Talbain (broken tier) in Darkstalers and Elena/Q (bleh tier) for Third Strike, Nowadays I rock Hakan in SSFIV who is pure fun tier (with one exception).

I'll probably stick with Elena/Q again for SO at the start.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
How to pick a SF3 Third Strike Character in 3 simple steps.

1) Pick Urien
2) Done.

Yeah, I usually pick up a character if I love his design/persona. (Oh yes, someone else who prefers Yun-seong over Hwang!)

In Third Strike, the first character that I picked up was Sean. I liked the idea of a young black shoto that looked cool and was brash. I was piss poor with him, but back then I didn't treat fighting games the same way that I do today.

Would I pick him up again? I'll probably mess around with him, but I prefer Dudley.

zlatko

Banned
EteRnal_PAL said:
Xbox Arcade games have always been released on Wednesdays. PSN games used to be released on Thursdays but Sony changed that day to Tuesdays instead so games being released on both services now come out a day first on PSN.

Ah that's what was messing me up. I forgot that PSN changed it's day of the week a while back. I don't buy downloadable titles often either from the consoles, and I think this is my first "day one" buy for an arcade/psn title.

Oh well 4 days to go. I can still play on GGPO until then. ;D

Vice

I'm thinking about picking up Necro or Q in 3rd strike. I never had a chance to play much of the game but they look cool.

Do any character play similar to Rose in 3S?

SF3 Ken & Ryu are like 10000000x times more fun-fun to play than SF4 Ken & Ryu.

I hated shotos in SF4 with a passion because it was a bore fest.

but fuck, they are so much fun in the SF3s, it`s like night-n-day.

sorry for repeating myself but this was a major fun hamper in SF4 that made me go.. nah, a snore fest!!

and Dudley's 3rd Strike voice is the best Dudley voice of all

gutter_trash said:
SF3 Ken & Ryu are like 10000000x times more fun-fun to play than SF4 Ken & Ryu.

I hated shotos in SF4 with a passion because it was a bore fest.

but fuck, they are so much fun in the SF3s, it`s like night-n-day.
You already posted this.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Urban Scholar said:
I want to play as Remy in my scrubby local matches but you all tell me no : (
fuck that, use him. he's obviously low-tier and you're gonna eat some losses but if his douchey coolness appeals to you as it does me, go for it. anyway, at our level, you can still use him without advanced stuff like partitioning being absolutely necessary. learn your normals really well and go from there.

oracrest

spindashing said:
Yeah, I usually pick up a character if I love his design/persona.

I am the same way. I picked Hugo because I loved Final Fight. Fully expecting to stop playing because of fighting all the better, faster characters.... But I was able to stand on my own with the big lug, and now it's far and away my favorite fighting game ever.

At first, I didn't like the character designs, but they really grew on me, especially Urien, Remy, Q, and Oro.

Top Bottom