• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

I'm really enjoying 3rd Strike. I'd gotten the PS2 version when it came out, but had absolutely noone to play with so I only ever played it against the CPU and didn't put a huge amount of time into it.

I went in wanting to main Q just because, visually, he's one of my favorite characters. But then I messed around with Hugo and I'm really enjoying playing as him. Think I'll invest some time in learning him. Q is still pretty awesome but he's rough to win with.

Online has been hit and miss. When it's good, it's some of the best, when it's bad, it's real bad. Which is disappointing considering all the hype GGPO has had. Makes me wonder what kind of netcode BlazBlue used, it was the most consistently good I'd ever experienced, or it did something real tricky to hide it.

qcf x2

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the two titles is that BB was designed from the start to incorporate online play. In other words the input timing was made lenient on purpose mostly for that reason. I think that's probably part of why the SF4 series is so lenient with directional inputs as well. 3rd Strike came out before consoles were regularly going online, let alone capable of solid connections, so they're retrofitting it with online play, as opposed to the aforementioned games which were built from the ground up with online play in mind.

LowParry

Played a few rounds online to check it out. Ranked is definitely broken. Watching others play though was a treat. Ken...Ken...Ken...Ken...Akuma...Ken...Ken...Ken...

Anyway, Makoto is straight up damn fun. A shame she doesn't play like this in SF4 but eh. What can ya do. Once I get more familiar with the game, guess I'll need to work on how to parry efficiently. I'll look for Kadey's room when she has it up and running to play :D

PSN: Downplay

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
oracrest said:
Right on.

Played for hours against ProfessorBEEF last night. Hugo vs. Alex the whole time. Great fights! Comparable skill level, was a blast!

One of many rounds like this
Awesome. Too bad Irene flooded my basement otherwise we could have done some crazy Hugo mirror battles.

On a random note: I've decided to set my 360 to "480p Normal" which defaults 3S to Normal as well--correct aspect ratio but without that annoying sidebar text. I don't mind leaving it set like that since this is the only game I'm playing until KoF XIII.

hertog

finally getting the hang of this game. Remy is my main and I mreally like his style. He's like a guile with an offensive game :)

But I miss Guile's voice, so I'll just say SONIC BOOM!!! with every projectile.

oracrest said:
Right on.

Played for hours against ProfessorBEEF last night. Hugo vs. Alex the whole time. Great fights! Comparable skill level, was a blast!

One of many rounds like this
LLShC.gif

At least I got the lion's share of victories!

N4Us

What's the motion for Poison during Hugo's taunt? I tried holding both down and up during the taunt but neither one worked.

I was on the verge of buying this until I tried the demo. Very disappointed to see that they took out the original character select music and intro. And I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I feel like the art looks lower-res than I remember it (smoothing off). I mean, it hasn't been long since I played it last either on an arcade machine or the Xbox version.

Jimmy Stav said:
I was on the verge of buying this until I tried the demo. Very disappointed to see that they took out the original character select music and intro. And I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I feel like the art looks lower-res than I remember it (smoothing off). I mean, it hasn't been long since I played it last either on an arcade machine or the Xbox version.
Both of these things can be unlocked, and in less than a couple of minutes.

Jimmy Stav said:

You can change the music, and Third Strike art was designed for 384x224.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Anyone got this from the European PSN? are there enough people playing it, can you play with Americans, and if you can, is the lag noticeable? If I buy this, I would basically be buying it for the online, as I already have the game for two systems (DC and PS2). I don't want to get the game only to discover the servers are empty or that I have to play unbearable laggy matches overseas.

Gunloc said:
Both of these things can be unlocked, and in less than a couple of minutes.

Zombie James said:
You can change the music, and Third Strike art was designed for 384x224.

Thank you both.

Regarding my latter complaint: it's due to the fact that even though it maintains the aspect ratio, displaying the game at 720p is what's causing the added pixelation?

EDIT: Holy SHIT parrying is satisfying. I was never able to do it before, but these Trials are a great way of making it possible.

Rlan

I'll ask again, I really need help with this!!

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for me to determine "Sales" for the game with the Leaderboard stuff. There's online ranking, of course, but there is XP for every chaarcter. How is XP gained? is that just online, or do you gain XP via the Arcade mode, or is it part of the training system or something? Any help on this would be great :)

Also, wonder what's next. Alpha 3?

Imm0rt4l

Rlan said:

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for me to determine "Sales" for the game with the Leaderboard stuff. There's online ranking, of course, but there is XP for every chaarcter. How is XP gained? is that just online, or do you gain XP via the Arcade mode, or is it part of the training system or something? Any help on this would be great :)

cvs2

BELIEVE

Gaspode_T

Rlan said:

If there was a total VP unlocked leaderboard it might be possible, but as far as I know there isn't...

Rlan

Gaspode_T said:
If there was a total VP unlocked leaderboard it might be possible, but as far as I know there isn't...

Yeah, but even so I want to know what the XP actually stands for in the game. If anything, Ryu's XP should be the highest of the lot purely because he's Ryu :p

RyanDG

Zombie James said:
Remy vs. Remy: Whoever wins, we lose.

I don't get why people don't like Remy's character design. He seems perfect to me. It's like Capcom was able to capture the inner rage of fueling hatred of all the My Chemical Romance fans out there and bottled into in a perfect mixture of awesomeness. That's the stuff greatness is made out of.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So new player to 3rd here, can I get this straight -

In 3 there's no input shortcuts, right? Or are they much more specific? For example in 4 to perform Dudley's sweep launch into say a ducking upper I would hold down-back for the sweep and then instantly half circled to forward for the ducking. I could not get this to work in 3, but sweep launch into the proper back to forward half circle cancelled just fine. Is my timing off or does that not work?

But then what I don't get is if there's no shortcuts, how can the crazy amount of charge partitioning take place for a character like Urien?

LowParry

Losing to Remy makes me feel.......strange...

Lots of lag tonight. Not sure what was up. Was gonna get some GAF peeps to play but meh, I'll try again later this week. Fun times! I think I'm starting to grasp Makoto better. Alex right now is the one who just destroys me. :(

Fallacy said:
Is it now impossible to choose the rest of the colors?
You nee to beat arcade mode with the character then go to downloadable content, then your content and select the second color options. Really weird implementation.

A handful of good games tonight, and a comeback or two. Think I should hit up training mode and work on my combos, though, or get a stick. Added a couple of you guys.

Top Bottom