• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

LakeEarth

captmcblack said:
...but the game's real good as always.
I'd like to pick up a new character to play that isn't in that Ken/Yun/Chun/Urien group. Is there anyone I could learn that won't require me to master every nuance of things (like charge partitioning, kara cancelling, etc) before I could enjoy playing them?
I've said it before, but Alex is pretty simple. You get the knockdown, then you give them the old high/low/command throw mixup. EX charge to punish at a distance, lots of active frames on his overhead.

He isn't the greatest character in the game but he is quite simple. I don't even worry about his super, as his EX moves are quite good (and his supers aren't). You can improve his game with kara throws though, which I would suggest cause mixup after knockdown is where he gets most of his damage.

Are there any good sites or YouTube channels to check out for 3rd Strike matches? I know there's been 10+ years of tournaments and I wanna check out quality games, see what the pro Japanese Hugos have been doing for example.

oracrest said:
I have more to upload, wins and losses, but I only had time for the one...

I made some Alex avatars in your color scheme, if you want one. Otherwise, they are up for grabs...

3rdavatars04.png
3rdavatars03.png
3rdavatars02.png
3rdavatars05.png
I like Agumon trapped in a digivice too much to change, but thanks anyways.
3AQmK.gif

Christ, every ranked game today had lag. Why even do the ping status when it doesn't matter. Yellow games don't guarantee a smooth game at all.

oracrest

XenoRaven

So I was in training mode practicing parries (which I have never been good at) and I discovered something that really helps me. Not sure if this is common knowledge or has already been stated in this thread. But I noticed that I can almost always parry the first two hits of something then always fail after that. I realized that it was because the first two parries were in rhythm and then the third would shift to the rhythm of the audio cues (Chun going "hyah!"). So I muted it and was able to easily parry 3-6 hit fireballs from Akuma. This seems like a good way to practice your multi-parry timing if you're struggling.

Long story short, mute your audio in training mode if you're practicing parrying and you suck like me.

Teknoman

Watching the parry the fool video...looking at Oro do the juggle and Ken hitting twice with two shoryuken, how do you know when you can still hit someone while they're airborne?

Man, I tried for 40 minutes to get an online match (ranked and player), and got squat.

I give up on this for now. I bought this to play online. I have PS2 to play offline. I hope they patch soon.

Venfayth

Finaika said:
Ikubi's Trial 3 is killing me. Halp.

Do the roundhouse kicks, as soon as you finish those hold towards, the very millisecond that you need to do her away+mp is when you let go of forward.

If you're not close enough and you don't time her away+mp late enough you'll only get one hit off of it, and you need to cancel the 2nd hit into her heavy punch.

qcf x2

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Man, I tried for 40 minutes to get an online match (ranked and player), and got squat.

I give up on this for now. I bought this to play online. I have PS2 to play offline. I hope they patch soon.

Did you try the GAF 3s gamertag? Just invite people from there. And if/when others join the lobby and their connections are green and they're fun to play against, add them or just remember to invite them next time. It's kinda inconvenient to have to do it in such a roundabout fashion, but I have no problem getting decent matches now.

Degen

excuse me, not to derail for these kind ladies and gentlemen, but the Aggressive Hawk style was, is, and always will be Besthawk

Cowardly jab-jab-jab-kick Hawk can go sit in a corner

oh wait

he always does

Degen said:
excuse me, not to derail for these kind ladies and gentlemen, but the Aggressive Hawk style was, is, and always will be Besthawk

Cowardly jab-jab-jab-kick Hawk can go sit in a corner

oh wait

he always does
Until your W/L record against me is in the positive, you can churn butter over in the Worst Gaf Grappler section. ;)

I'm starting to really like Akuma now, but lordy does his health stink.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
SolarKnight said:
Speaking of trials, what's a good way to get Makoto's standing HP into SAII? I'd try pianoing it, but given the way it works, yeah... =/

It's one of those things you just have to practice at to be consistent with, I think. I've been practicing it for a few days now and I'm still not incredibly consistent with it. I think I'm too used to SF4 shortcuts. But what I'm trying to do is immediately do the first qcf after I press the hp button, then I do the 2nd qcf as fast as I can. Also, know that you have to complete the first qcf, but the 2nd one can just be down to down-forward.

I think part of my trouble with this is mental, though, because when I do the st.hp and imagine I'm doing 2 fireball inputs immediately afterwards and pressing the kick button after every qcf, I'm able to hit it more often.

GrayFoxPL

Playing with Ibuki. I'm not doing too good, but at least it's a fun character.

Ibuki vs Hugo feels like a boss fight. 3 hits and I'm dead.

Speaking of bosses, Gill must be one of the easiest bosses in fighting games.

sephi22

Tentomon > Agumon
Yeah, I said it.

I don't know anything about the anime. Just played Digimon World on the PSX

On topic, has anyone had any matches where you hit the final hit, the screen flashed KO for a few frames, the KO sound plays, but the match continues and the opponent lives with the same amount of health before the final hit.

This has happened to me in a couple of laggy matches. This really throws my momentum off as I have to kill the other guy twice.

sephi22 said:
Tentomon > Agumon
Yeah, I said it.
WarGreymon > HerculesKabuterimon

ShineGreymon > WarGreymon

And yeah, I've had that rollback strike me when I was about to win. In fact, it happened to me and Cloudius when I was about to win. It rolled back and then he won instead. :(

Teknoman

Professor Beef said:
WarGreymon > HerculesKabuterimon

ShineGreymon > WarGreymon

And yeah, I've had that rollback strike me when I was about to win. In fact, it happened to me and Cloudius when I was about to win. It rolled back and then he won instead. :(

lol that happened to me once when playing with Ryu against a Ken. I jumped over his special III, and he continued into a corner. I land behind him and blast a shinkuu hadouken into his back...yet 3 seconds later, i'm somehow getting hit from behind and his life regenerated.

oracrest said:
I have more to upload, wins and losses, but I only had time for the one...

I made some Alex avatars in your color scheme, if you want one. Otherwise, they are up for grabs...

3rdavatars04.png
3rdavatars03.png
3rdavatars02.png
3rdavatars05.png

I use carpenter Alex as well. Mind if I use the AV since he isn't going to?

Top Bottom