• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

notworksafe

ARXIN said:
You nee to beat arcade mode with the character then go to downloadable content, then your content and select the second color options. Really weird implementation.
Can you not have both at the same time? Wack.

Teknoman

RyanDG said:
I don't get why people don't like Remy's character design. He seems perfect to me. It's like Capcom was able to capture the inner rage of fueling hatred of all the My Chemical Romance fans out there and bottled into in a perfect mixture of awesomeness. That's the stuff greatness is made out of.

He looks like someone who stepped into SF from KOF...so maybe some old SNK dislike? Or the fact that he has moves similar to Guile and they wanted him instead? I've got no problem with him myself.

bs000

Noriega said:
Q interests me.

Well story wise. I want to get to know about him more.
Turbo10_cvrB.jpg

Yay comics. This issue just a backup story with a few pages in the back though. I don't know if they did anything else with him after that D:

AwShucks

Beat the game with Ibuki tonight on whatever the default setting is. I'm definitely not the greatest considering I lost a few times on that setting. Took a number of tries to beat the final guy, but after I paused it for like 2 hours then came back I actually did it on my first attempt.

Also, not many good ranked matches tonight. Saw there was another update about it, I think I'll hold off on even trying ranked until the fix comes through.

There's an unlockable 3 or 4 page comic in Q's vault in this game. Probably the same one from that comic?

Part of me kinda wants Q to be revealed as someone we already know behind the mask but at the same time there is noone he could be that would be satisfying. No matter how much ya want the answer to a mystery, sometimes remaining a mystery is best.

I would love to see him show up in another game sometime, though. He's definitely one of my favorite SF characters.

voodoopanda said:
There's an unlockable 3 or 4 page comic in Q's vault in this game. Probably the same one from that comic?

Part of me kinda wants Q to be revealed as someone we already know behind the mask but at the same time there is noone he could be that would be satisfying. No matter how much ya want the answer to a mystery, sometimes remaining a mystery is best.

I would love to see him show up in another game sometime, though. He's definitely one of my favorite SF characters.
I've seen some people say that Q is really Eagle because they wear similar pants and gloves, and because you can see a small patch of blond hair in some random Q artwork. This is all despite the different birthdays, heights (over a foot!), fighting styles, etc.

Personally, it would really upset me if that was true, even though I know it's not. Eagle and Q are both such interesting and underrated characters that I'd love to see them both return someday soon.

Teknoman

voodoopanda said:

SFIIQ.png

Dun dun dunnn.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
So here i am just casually browsing the youtubes, watching old RX videos...and what do i come across somehow? DSP playing 3SO. I watched one video for kicks. Jesus this dude lives in a different universe. I'll have whatever he's having.

STG

was just browsing the replay server (on ps3) and found a replay of Keike Desora playing Makoto
and now I wish 3soe had an replay follow thing feature like AE :(

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I heard they were supposed to reveal q's identity a while back, well udon was with capcom's blessing but apparently it never worked out.

Played a few matches in Kadey's lobby and didn't lose as badly as I thought I would. I even managed to fluke a few victories.

Good games, I'll probably drop in from time to time if there's space. Let me know if you have any tips for me, I'm here to learn.

STG said:
was just browsing the replay server (on ps3) and found a replay of Keike Desora playing Makoto
and now I wish 3soe had an replay follow thing feature like AE :(
Yeah, it's unfortunate all of capcom's games are developed in a vacuum.

All the good bits in the various Capcom games need to come together. I love how you can search for replays under various criteria (who wins, who loses, grade rating, players ranks, etc) but you can't do anything like that in SSF4. Yet in SSF4 you can follow players and watch replays off the leaderboards of top players.

Also I think Hugo's crouching HP where he launches himself into the air then falls flat on his face is my favorite piece of animation from any fighting game ever.

voodoopanda said:
Also I think Hugo's crouching HP where he launches himself into the air then falls flat on his face is my favorite piece of animation from any fighting game ever.
It's also a fun move to land.

SmpBs.gif

I also like his crouching HK buttslam.

7Y7ca.gif

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
worldrevolution said:
So new player to 3rd here, can I get this straight -

In 3 there's no input shortcuts, right? Or are they much more specific? For example in 4 to perform Dudley's sweep launch into say a ducking upper I would hold down-back for the sweep and then instantly half circled to forward for the ducking. I could not get this to work in 3, but sweep launch into the proper back to forward half circle cancelled just fine. Is my timing off or does that not work?

But then what I don't get is if there's no shortcuts, how can the crazy amount of charge partitioning take place for a character like Urien?

Anyone?

gutter_trash said:
can someone explain me the youtube Sharing trophy? i uploaded 2 and I still didn't get the trophy
If it's the same as the xbox achievement, I think you have to pick the Upload to Match Server option, not the youtube one.

Ugh, I swear that many of the trials would be way easier of the freaking game didn't do a qcfx2 every time I try to go from crouching to a DP >__<

Speaking of trials, what's a good way to get Makoto's standing HP into SAII? I'd try pianoing it, but given the way it works, yeah... =/

SolarKnight said:
Ugh, I swear that many of the trials would be way easier of the freaking game didn't do a qcfx2 every time I try to go from crouching to a DP >__<

Speaking of trials, what's a good way to get Makoto's standing HP into SAII? I'd try pianoing it, but given the way it works, yeah... =/
IIRC, It's spacing dependent. It won't work at all if the opponent is further than middle of the screen.

LakeEarth

voodoopanda said:
It shows up on this channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sf3onlineedition Can take a while to upload, though.
Edit: Haha, I just noticed, even though Akuma is Akuma in the US edition of 3rd Strike they call him Gouki automatically for replays.
Thanks, I found mine. I only uploaded it for my 1st round "have to parry or else I'm dead" turn around. The rest of the match I play like crap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHzY9ES6JW4

Funny thing is that the thumbnail for this match is that parry that won me the round. I wonder how it chooses that screenshot.

RS4-

_dementia said:
IIRC, It's spacing dependent. It won't work at all if the opponent is further than middle of the screen.

The distance she jumps off the wall depends on the kick used. So if you're around half screen, use HK

.la1n

I wasn't able to play since launch night and just started playing online matches again last night, I was getting murdered after not having played in just that short amount of time. I had forgotten most of what I had learned about using Q. It's so easy to just say forget it and go back to Ken / Chun Li but I really would rather put more time into some offbeat characters.

Also very happy to report that the online matches so far have been nothing but random characters and lots of fun. I have only ran into maybe 3 or 4 chun li spammers since I started playing.

RS4-

In the uhh, 100 or so ranked matches I've played, I think after the first 30 games or so, I ran into everyone but an Oro player (played 2 in the last 10 games though)

Finally bought this on PS3, and promptly got destroyed my first 3 online matches. My Ryu is rusty after all that SF4, and my Sean is not trollworthy yet.

...but the game's real good as always.
I'd like to pick up a new character to play that isn't in that Ken/Yun/Chun/Urien group. Is there anyone I could learn that won't require me to master every nuance of things (like charge partitioning, kara cancelling, etc) before I could enjoy playing them?

qcf x2

SolarKnight said:

No piano-ing required. Practice by grabbing them with Makoto's back close to the end of the screen, and just tap HP then do the qcfx2+ MK while the opponent is in hitstun. If you can land st HP into fierce hayate without mashing you can do this.

finaika said:
Ikubi's Trial 3 is killing me. Halp.

Corner them. I assume what you're having trouble with is the 2nd half of the combo. After you launch them with the st HK take one step forward and do back+MP, HP then the HK dp. The step forward is what gets it to connect.

worldrevolution said:
So new player to 3rd here, can I get this straight -

In 3 there's no input shortcuts, right? Or are they much more specific? For example in 4 to perform Dudley's sweep launch into say a ducking upper I would hold down-back for the sweep and then instantly half circled to forward for the ducking. I could not get this to work in 3, but sweep launch into the proper back to forward half circle cancelled just fine. Is my timing off or does that not work?

But then what I don't get is if there's no shortcuts, how can the crazy amount of charge partitioning take place for a character like Urien?

Charge partitioning and shortcuts are not similar at all. Charge partitioning is exactly what the words suggest. You're not skipping inputs but rather redistributing your charge. Having never done this with Urien, I watched this video while making this reply and went into training mode and got it right away.

qcf x2 said:
No piano-ing required. Practice by grabbing them with Makoto's back close to the end of the screen, and just tap HP then do the qcfx2+ MK while the opponent is in hitstun. If you can land st HP into fierce hayate without mashing you can do this.

Well, the pianoing comment was about getting the timing right, which I can really rarely do. Ugh. I guess I'll keep trying when I get back home. Btw, the two fukiages pretty much have to be done as rdps because of the position I end up in after the dash, right?

Speaking of Ibuki's trials, 5 is so fun to do. Shame that I just can't get the timing right though -___-

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Rickenslacker said:
It's also a fun move to land.

SmpBs.gif

I also like his crouching HK buttslam.

7Y7ca.gif

both awesome looking, both should be used super rarely. though gigas shenanigans dictate whiffing the first on purpose just to snatch a fool up.

turnbuckle

Finally got to play a few matches last night. Boy am I rusty. Went 1-2. My timing is way off and I pretty much have completely forgotten how to play. It's gonna be a big wakeup call to see how good my opposition is after mostly just playing against the computer/friends all these years.

ShaneB

If there's anything I want patched in, it's input displays for training mode. As much as I want to learn characters and stuff like Urien's trickery, it's a pain in the butt without showing input displays and knowing what the heck I'm screwing up.

qcf x2

V_Arnold said:
QCFX2, on offtopic note: is your avatar a Nii Jyeni or a Hakkai? :D

Nah, it's Aizen, the most broken super genius character I could think of. Right genre though. :p

SolarKnight said:
Well, the pianoing comment was about getting the timing right, which I can really rarely do. Ugh. I guess I'll keep trying when I get back home. Btw, the two fukiages pretty much have to be done as rdps because of the position I end up in after the dash, right?

I think a double fukiage in 3s requires a kara and a dash that reverses directions, so as far as I'm concerned, I stick with tsurugi, double hayate as my SA2 juggle. But my Makoto is mostly SA3 scrubbery.

oracrest

Professor Beef said:
LLShC.gif

At least I got the lion's share of victories!

I have more to upload, wins and losses, but I only had time for the one...

I made some Alex avatars in your color scheme, if you want one. Otherwise, they are up for grabs...

3rdavatars04.png
3rdavatars03.png
3rdavatars02.png
3rdavatars05.png

Teknoman said:
SFIIQ.png

Dun dun dunnn.

I believe with every fiber of my being that this is Q. I imagine that the Ken background came into play when they were designing characters, and it sprang from there. Some concept artist took that simple background character, and used it for the Q design. Interesting that he is the only character changed like that in further iterations of Ken's stage.

I can't find any matches online... won my only match that I was able to connect to with Hugo though. Beat an OK Ken. Getting back in the swing of things.

Top Bottom