• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
had some fun in ness' room, but you guys were kinda quiet and awkward, no offense :p

That Remy was a beast, shame we couldn't play for some reason when the host left.

Yep GGs, especially to n33ss who had me downloaded quite a few times. Most of my victories were pretty narrow. Also lol at n33ss hit confirming low forward into SAIII with Ken on a yellow connection. Elite.

I've been playin this motherfucker since 99 though, so yeah my Remy's had a lot of practice ;P

Number45 said:
SF4 is very lenient on the control inputs, SF3 requires the inputs to be precise. Seems to me (and this is what I plan to do) that getting better with SF3 will improve your execution in ALL games, where as practising with SF4 will potentially improve your SF4 game only.

Completely False, 3s has easy inputs as well, they're just different from sf4's , so if your accustomed to one or the other without knowing that you're taking advantage of shortcuts, then you'll have difficulty transitioning from one game to the next. The one thing that sf4 does have that makes things a bit easier is a slightly bigger buffer window.

3s super shortcut for double qcf's is d, df, f, d, df.
4 is d, df, d, df, f

Which is why when 4 first came out people kept getting ex dp instead of ultra's.

For DP shortcuts you can do df, df as well in 3s, but you have to start from down.

3s isn't a harder game by any means nor is it deeper, it's just different, once you get the hang of it you'll see that it's actually easier to do stuff compared to 4.

THRILLH0

Banned
^^ you sure about that findmyfarms? Every review I've read mentions that 3S requires more precision to pull off specials than SFIV.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I've been switching between 3S and AE for the past few days and I keep losing matches in AE because I try to do ultra motions using the 3S shortcut. Damn it all. I should just get in that hyperbolic time chamber and start doing the full motion without using any shortcuts so I don't run into this problem.

Hitokage said:
So apparently an NC third strike vet has also complained about EX moves coming out inconsistently. Alas.
They need to patch this asap. Had some sessions with some of the 3rd strike players in nyc, and some were bitching about ex commands, like me. We just decided to booted the pc instead. Fuck this version of 3rd strike.

FindMyFarms said:
Once you get acquainted with the game you won't have a prob ;)

Dude, that happens with every game when you grow accostumed to it, and means nothing more than that, i´m not sure what are you trying to prove with this.

There are some shortcuts, yes (dragon punch is down-forward, forward, down-forward for example), and the charge partition system, but in general terms (and 1 frame links aside), the execution in Third Strike is WAY more strict.

If you take a look in eventhubs or shoryuken, you could find some interesting topics about this.

Solune

Hunter-Zero said:
Dude, that happens with every game when you grow accostumed to it, and means nothing more than that, i´m not sure what are you trying to prove with this.

There are some shortcuts, yes (dragon punch is down-forward, forward, down-forward for example), and the charge partition system, but in general terms, the execution in Third Strike is WAY more strict.

If you take a look in eventhubs or shoryuken, you could find some interesting topics about this.
And what are you trying to prove with this baseless rebuttal? You've said the execution that's required is way more strict yet you haven't provided any examples. No one likes to go through waves of shit in SRK or Eventhubs, so why not link to what you've found.

In terms of execution ST is by far much more strict than both 3S or SF4 anyways.

Solune said:
And what are you trying to prove with this baseless rebuttal? You've said the execution that's required is way more strict yet you haven't provided any examples. No one likes to go through waves of shit in SRK or Eventhubs, so why not link to what you've found.

In terms of execution ST is by far much more strict than both 3S or SF4 anyways.

Why should i? i´m not keeping a record of every single page that i visit, if you wanna know, just search, google is your friend and it´s quite easy to find.

If you don´t want to, well, your loss.

About my baseless rebuttal, heh, it´s not like the guy provided an irrefutable evidence anyway, just some shortcut examples, and he does not talk about the piano roll system, nor the buffering windows, etc...but hey, you must agree with him or something like that.

It´s nice.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I find that the difference between 3s and 4 is that in 4 you have to practice the timing/spacing for links more, which can be a pain. In 3s you have to do them fast (feels more natural to me) which gives you less time to get them out. Also so much more is possible in 3s and so you end up having to do many more inputs. Beats having to FADC combos if you ask me.

I have always found 3s to feel much more organic, but I wont pretend it doesn't suck when you cant get something simple like a super when you want it because of the strict timing.

So, has anyone had any luck getting the 7th color (LP+MK+HP) of the "Second Impact" colors to work?

I've unlocked the extra colors for a few characters, but I can't get the last color to show up. It seems pretty weird that they'd include all of the colors except one. :/

Gunloc said:
So, has anyone had any luck getting the 7th color (LP+MK+HP) of the "Second Impact" colors to work?

I've unlocked the extra colors for a few characters, but I can't get the last color to show up. It seems pretty weird that they'd include all of the colors except one. :/

This way they can sell them in an awesome colour pack :D

Hunter-Zero said:
This way they can sell them in an awesome colour pack :D
DLC for color swaps is silly, but it doesn't really bother me if they are all new. But if they are saving the last color of the original 13 to be included in the DLC, that would be really lame.

I thought there were only 7 3rd Strike colors with 6 more unlockable, for 13 total. No LP+MK+HP color for the unlocked colors.

Has the Replay server been down for everyone else all day today? 360 version.

notworksafe

Gunloc said:
DLC for color swaps is silly, but it doesn't really bother me if they are all new. But if they are saving the last color of the original 13 to be included in the DLC, that would be really lame.
7th color only works in the 3rd Strike palette.

Skilletor

FootNinja said:
I find that the difference between 3s and 4 is that in 4 you have to practice the timing/spacing for links more, which can be a pain. In 3s you have to do them fast (feels more natural to me) which gives you less time to get them out. Also so much more is possible in 3s and so you end up having to do many more inputs. Beats having to FADC combos if you ask me.

I have always found 3s to feel much more organic, but I wont pretend it doesn't suck when you cant get something simple like a super when you want it because of the strict timing.

There are hardly any links at all in 3s.

ShaneB

Hate that I've been so busy and barely put any time in playing this recently. It's a long weekend, so perhaps I'll get to relax a bit and get in some lobbies and have some fun.

The colour pack and dlc announcement is a bit annoying when I wish they'd concentrate more on fixing the annoying things with the game's interface and whatnot, but ah well.

Skilletor said:
There are hardly any links at all in 3s.

Probably another reason why I enjoy it more, on top of everything else. So many links remind of playing Rockband or some other rhythm game, it starts to feel lifeless and mechanical.

I kept losing so much last night, but I didn't mind; because it was my poor execution leaving openings. Not a layer of assistance getting in the way (try to do Oil Slide when it's opportune, get Oil Rocket instead).

Love this game so much.

PS3 GAF needs to set up a noob lobby where we can practice parrying and such. Maybe voice chat so we can sort things out easier.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Bah. Been too busy this week to really play. Snuck in some Ranked matches yesterday just for shits & giggles. What's this "Gone Streaking" achievement about?

Number45

I'm thinking Dudley and Ken, although it will be some time before I'm proficient enough with either to consider them a main. :p

notworksafe

_dementia said:
Who are you guys maining in this game?
Still undecided between Elena and Hugo.

Also played online for the first time last night. Was mostly okay except for one weird d/c (aka TTOB probably got scared and quit). The "toggle ready" bullshit should be changed though. That's annoying as hell.

Anyway GGs to the PSN people I played. And I'm down for a practice lobby w/mics too.

Skilletor

The Take Out Bandit said:
Probably another reason why I enjoy it more, on top of everything else. So many links remind of playing Rockband or some other rhythm game, it starts to feel lifeless and mechanical.

I kept losing so much last night, but I didn't mind; because it was my poor execution leaving openings. Not a layer of assistance getting in the way (try to do Oil Slide when it's opportune, get Oil Rocket instead).

Love this game so much.

PS3 GAF needs to set up a noob lobby where we can practice parrying and such. Maybe voice chat so we can sort things out easier.

I feel the opposite. Most combos in 3s are easy mode. No sense of achievement when I pull anything off. May as well be on auto pilot. Different strokes.

I don't have problems getting the move I want to come out because I practice and adjust to the game I'm playing. Up yo execution game up.

_dementia said:
Who are you guys maining in this game?

Ibuki, Yang, Alex.

Had some decent matches last night with randoms. Was actually able to parry stuff.

notworksafe said:
Still undecided between Elena and Hugo.

Also played online for the first time last night. Was mostly okay except for one weird d/c (aka TTOB probably got scared and quit). The "toggle ready" bullshit should be changed though. That's annoying as hell.

Anyway GGs to the PSN people I played. And I'm down for a practice lobby w/mics too.
No kidding. The lobby screen vs me is like a 9-1 matchup.
I press too many buttons.

RS4-

bob_arctor said:
Bah. Been too busy this week to really play. Snuck in some Ranked matches yesterday just for shits & giggles. What's this "Gone Streaking" achievement about?
I think it's just 5 wins in a row.

So, 40 points for a rank win; and you get 20 for every win you get by taunting. Lol.

Skilletor

_dementia said:
No kidding. The lobby screen vs me is like a 9-1 matchup.
I press too many buttons.

Glad to hear that it isn't just me. I'll win a match and mash to skip stuff, thinking we'll rematch only to take myself out of rotation.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to make confirm and reserve spot the same button should be forced to play on broken controllers for the rest of their life.

simtmb

Skilletor said:
Glad to hear that it isn't just me. I'll win a match and mash to skip stuff, thinking we'll rematch only to take myself out of rotation.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to make confirm and reserve spot the same button should be forced to play on broken controllers for the rest of their life.

When i had my first online session, i pressed that one button 6 times in a row lol... =/

Skilletor said:

Everything related to this game's UI is horrible. If it weren't for the fun game it was attached to, I wouldn't even bother.

LakeEarth

bob_arctor said:
I believe it is 10 wins in a row. I did it on day 1 since everyone was so bad, but now it may require some luck.

And I main Alex/Oro, with some Hugo mixed in. I'm also good with Chun, but lets face it, who isn't??

LakeEarth said:
I believe it is 10 wins in a row. I did it on day 1 since everyone was so bad, but now it may require some luck.

And I main Alex/Oro, with some Hugo mixed in. I'm also good with Chun, but lets face it, who isn't??
It's 5 wins in a row, actually

Skilletor said:
I don't have problems getting the move I want to come out because I practice and adjust to the game I'm playing. Up yo execution game up.

Not surprising, I have no problems in SF4 training mode. I went in there last night to test my ground wire repair and did Hakan's normals 10x each, then did his pokey OS combo (f+jab > c+jab,jab/short,short > OS) several times no problem.

I go online to play, suddenly I'm getting OR instead of OS.

I would practice the game more if:

- I enjoyed playing 4, it's the least palatable SF entry ever.
- It weren't the only SF game where my execution is borked.

No incentive to work at a game I don't care for, when my execution is perfectly fine in games I do enjoy. Most important of all, SF4 is ruined by the overzealous input assistance. I just mentioned a few posts back, I don't mind losing when I choke. It gets my hackles up like nobody's business when I choke AND input assist gives my opponent a supremely punishable OR opening.

You know how people get pissed off at iPhone autocorrection?

That's SF4 inputs.

Skilletor

_dementia said:
Everything related to this game's UI is horrible. If it weren't for the fun game it was attached to, I wouldn't even bother.

It has made me want to play 3s again, so yay for that. Something just feels right about sprites.

The matchmaking and everything else is making me want to punch babies.

The Take Out Bandit said:
You know how people get pissed off at iPhone autocorrection?

That's SF4 inputs.

I guess. I haven't experienced anything like that, though. I almost always get what I want. I never feel it's the game's fault if I don't.

I do agree that SF2 does everything better than SF4. :)

I only play SF4 because everybody plays SF4. It's a vicious circle of hatred that feeds upon itself.

Top Bottom