• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

zlatko

Banned
_dementia said:
Who the fuck lied to you?

e12sk4.jpg

zlatko

Banned
Cloudius12 said:
I was watching his videos and man...its painful haha

I did too. I youtubed wanting to see the Dudley trials thinking it would be vesper arcade at the top, then saw he was the first result. For whatever reason I get a kick out of hearing him suffer and makes me feel all warm inside. The Sean one is also filled with salt and him giving up.

To be fair though... Sean's are the fucking hardest in SF3 trial wise. Epic troll by Capcom that the worst character in the cast has the hardest shit to pull off.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Kaijima said:
It's as if someone had the mistaken notion to try and make the process streamlined as possible with the better netcode in place so it appeared "seamless". Without realizing the problems that happened with "quick match" fighting games in the field because of how fast one on one host slots are filled and vanish.

FYI, a big part of the problem seems to be how the online services work this gen. I've read the claim that developers don't have a lot of control over pinging for information, like available players waiting for games. They have to use a standard request of some sort, then wait for a predefined chunk of data, with a predefined number of users, with a predefined window in which those clients and hosts are available.

And then there's some technical certification requirement that if a link to a host fails, the user must see a big ol' confirmation window with a button to press and get backed out - essentially a UI convention for THE STUPIDS who dun' no why thar game dun' workin' and dey din' get it to startin' up. So no instant retry for another match without backing out and going through some form of confirmation request screen or pop-up.

It all doesn't work so well with fighting games due to the one on one nature of ranked, random matchups.
I can believe this. Every single 1-on-1 game I've played on Live this generation has had extremely shitty Quick Match matchmaking.

For some reason they sometimes improve after a few months though. MvC3 had terrible matchmaking at launch but now I rarely get failure messages when looking for games. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because open matches don't fill up as quickly and the possibility of 2 different players attempting to connect to another player at the same time doesn't happen as much. But that's only a guess.

In any case, whatever console-wide system they seem to have setup absolutely blows.

zlatko

Banned
Fighting games in general have the most half assed stuck in the dark ages set ups when it comes to online.

Things I would like to see in future fighters:
* I hit ranked, I pick my character once before clicking search, and then it starts searching for games fast. Fight ends, I don't go back to search, or pick a character, none of that shit, just automatically starts searching again, I'm character locked, and it keeps going. When I want to be done, I just hit start and go to quit.

* When it finds me a fight I am quickly given a card showing this persons stats. Stats like: Top used character, win/loss ratio, rank in the world, d/c rate, and of course their PING to me. Not some shitty ass bar or some shitty ass color. Give me the damn number. If something about this stat card is ass, I can decline the fight, and it auto reloops to find me a new opponent.

* Online training mode. Grind to infinity with a friend with some of that online latency? Yes please.

* More options when creating a private room. Let me name it----this isn't the 80's, people use profanity, game is rated T for Teen, use some profanity filter, but let me name the room what I want damn it. Example: "I want to fight a good Dudley player." Then I can set options where the only character my opponent can pick is dudley, no others. Someone joins they are stuck with diddles-----read the damn room name. Quick rematch button available of course like it is here.

* Always give me spectator mode for private games. This should be a no brainer/staple at this point for all online fighters. Let's take it one step further----I can create lobbies that let people either spectate OR challenge someone IN the lobby who is ALSO not playing, to duke it out. How about include the option that when these are duking it out, you can either have your fight interrupted if its one of their turns in line, or just have it set up so they are automatically skipped over since they are in a fight.

Seriously... online in fighters needs to be taken more seriously. When they nail core fighting, and have the basic offline stuff like ease of button changes/character changes/rematch, and a nice offline training mode, then all their efforts should be going to online and pumping it up to the brim with content. Instead they seem to be focusing on dumb shit like titles, icons, virtual points, how to make what DLC, and dumb crap like trials no one will do in a fight. Waste of energy and resources.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
_dementia said:
The problem is every Capcom fighting game is seemingly developed in a vacuum and therefore cannot learn from one another.

Ugh, so backwards.
This can't be overemphasized. Management at Capcom must be split-open-your-head-on-the-side-of-a-table-because-you-passed-out-laughing bad. Even the projects they outsource have the same pattern of bizarre omissions.

mattp

zlatko said:
Fighting games in general have the most half assed stuck in the dark ages set ups when it comes to online.

Things I would like to see in future fighters:
* I hit ranked, I pick my character once before clicking search, and then it starts searching for games fast. Fight ends, I don't go back to search, or pick a character, none of that shit, just automatically starts searching again, I'm character locked, and it keeps going. When I want to be done, I just hit start and go to quit.

* When it finds me a fight I am quickly given a card showing this persons stats. Stats like: Top used character, win/loss ratio, rank in the world, d/c rate, and of course their PING to me. Not some shitty ass bar or some shitty ass color. Give me the damn number. If something about this stat card is ass, I can decline the fight, and it auto reloops to find me a new opponent.

* Online training mode. Grind to infinity with a friend with some of that online latency? Yes please.

* More options when creating a private room. Let me name it----this isn't the 80's, people use profanity, game is rated T for Teen, use some profanity filter, but let me name the room what I want damn it. Example: "I want to fight a good Dudley player." Then I can set options where the only character my opponent can pick is dudley, no others. Someone joins they are stuck with diddles-----read the damn room name. Quick rematch button available of course like it is here.

* Always give me spectator mode for private games. This should be a no brainer/staple at this point for all online fighters. Let's take it one step further----I can create lobbies that let people either spectate OR challenge someone IN the lobby who is ALSO not playing, to duke it out. How about include the option that when these are duking it out, you can either have your fight interrupted if its one of their turns in line, or just have it set up so they are automatically skipped over since they are in a fight.

Seriously... online in fighters needs to be taken more seriously. When they nail core fighting, and have the basic offline stuff like ease of button changes/character changes/rematch, and a nice offline training mode, then all their efforts should be going to online and pumping it up to the brim with content. Instead they seem to be focusing on dumb shit like titles, icons, virtual points, how to make what DLC, and dumb crap like trials no one will do in a fight. Waste of energy and resources.
can someone please just send this to someone at capcom who is important

please

Ferrio

Banned
Just incase people don't know the taunt buffs.

Shoryuken Wiki http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Street_Fighter_3:_3rd_Strike said:
Alex:
Unheld taunt - Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 9.4% for the first taunt and 6.3% for each additional taunt. Maximum: 6 taunts, 37.5% bonus.
Held taunt - Increases damage for the next hit/combo or throw by 6.3% per extra arm turn. Maximum: 8 turns, 50% bonus.

Akuma:
Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 43.8% and increases stun damage for the next hit/combo by 28.1%. One taunt is the maximum.

Chun-Li:
Yawn (happens 100% of the time) - Increases stun recovery rate by 10% for the first yawn and an additional 21% for the second yawn. Lasts the whole round. Maximum 2 yawns, 33% bonus.
Shoulder tap (happens 21% of the time) - Increases defense by 18.8%. Lasts for the whole round. Maximum one shoulder tap.
Neck stretch (happens 38% of the time) - Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 31.3%. Maximum one neck stretch.
Back stretch (happens 15% of the time) - Increases defense by 31.3% (more than the shoulder tap) for the whole round. Also increases damage for the next hit/combo by 31.3%. Maximum one back stretch.

Dudley:
Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 25% if a rose is thrown. Like Sean, there's no bonus if the rose isn't actually thrown. One taunt is the maximum.

Elena:
Increases stun damage for the next hit/combo by 18.8% per taunt. Maximum 4 taunts, 75% bonus.

Hugo:
Unheld taunt - Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 18.8% (maximum 1 taunt). Also increases defence for the rest of the round by 6.3% per taunt (maximum 4 taunts, 25% bonus).
Held taunt - Increases damage for the next hit/combo/throw by 25%. One taunt is the maximum.
Poison - No bonus.

Ibuki:
Increases damage for the next hit/combo/throw by 43.8% only if she gets the leapfrog. Otherwise you get nothing. Maximum one taunt.

Ken:
Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 31.3%. One taunt is the maximum.

Makoto:
Part 1 - Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 31.3% per taunt. Maximum 2 taunts, 62.5% damage.
Part 2 - Replaces a second Part 1 taunt. One two-part taunt is the maximum.
Part 3 - Increases stun recovery rate by 10% for the first full taunt and an additional 21% for the second full taunt. Lasts the whole round. Maximum 2 full taunt, 33% bonus.
Hayate taunt - No bonus.

Necro:
Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 31.3%. Holding the taunt does nothing bonus-wise. One taunt is the maximum.

Oro:
Recovers stun by 600-800% as the taunt is held longer.

Q:
Increases defense for the whole round by 12.5% (maximum 3 taunts, 37.5% bonus). Also increases stun recovery rate for the whole round by 10% (one taunt is the maximum).

Remy:
Increases stun damage for the next hit/combo by 18.8% per taunt. Maximum 4 taunts, 75% bonus.

Ryu:
Increases stun recovery rate by 10% for the first taunt and an additional 21% for the second taunt. Lasts the whole round. Maximum 2 taunts, 33% bonus.

Sean:
Increases stun damage for the next hit/combo by 12.5% per ball thrown. If Sean throws nothing (ie. another ball on the screen), there is no bonus. Maximum 3 balls thrown, 37.5% bonus.

Twelve:
It turns you invisible for a while.

Urien:
Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 31.3%. One taunt is the maximum.

Yang:
Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 31.3% and increases damage for the next throw by 6.3%. One taunt is the maximum.

Yun:
Unheld taunt (works for held too) - Increases damage for the next hit/combo by 6.4% for each taunt/hat twirl. Maximum 8 taunts/twirls, 50% bonus.
Held taunt only - Increases damage for the next throw by 6.3% for the first extra twirl and 3.1% for every additional twirl. Maximum 7 extra twirls, 25% bonus.

Has any other fighting game made taunts do something significant? Can't think of any.

zlatko

Banned
MThanded said:
Capcom really needs a class on development process.

It's not all of Capcom and I think they are aware of it more now than ever... and I mean as in JUST recently. The new haunts interview with S.Kill from PAX towards the end you can see S.Kill say they are going to be in the future trying to make all their fighters consistent across the board in terms of online features from team to team.

Ferrio

Banned
One good thing about the bubble approach is they've had tons of different implementations to experiment with. If they had just 1 system they used across all games and it sucked, then you're shit outta luck on all games. Least with this hodge podge they've been doing, they've found out what people like and dislike, what works and what doesn't.

LakeEarth

Ferrio said:
Just incase people don't know the taunt buffs.
Has any other fighting game made taunts do something significant? Can't think of any.
Which one do you think is the worst? My money is on Remy's. The taunt takes forever, he just stands there and thinks (that's barely even a taunt) and then the bonus is only 17.5%?

In the meantime, Ken's gives a 31.3% bonus, is fast enough that you can do it safely after a super on slow-rising characters (Chun), and he makes a noise that is infuriating. Now THAT'S a good taunt.

mattp

dudley's staunt still wins
it's useful for the damage increase
it actually does damage
and it's so insulting

edit: nothing more satisfying than winning a match with a rose 8)

LakeEarth said:
Which one do you think is the worst? My money is on Remy's. The taunt takes forever, he just stands there and thinks (that's barely even a taunt) and then the bonus is only 17.5%
Hah, I wonder what they were thinking with that.

I've been running into so many odd glitches in this game. Just now I joined a player match that had two dudes in it, and they played a Hugo vs Chun-Li match. The Chun-Li lost and left the room, and it counted down for my turn. It just went straight into the game skipping the character select screen, doing Hugo vs Chun-Li again. Except this time I was Chun-Li and she was completely invisible except for her shadow. I imagine the Hugo player saw the same thing due to how he played, and after taunting at each other for a little while, I beat him, the match ended and my whole 360 locked up on a black screen.

LakeEarth said:
Which one do you think is the worst? My money is on Remy's. The taunt takes forever, he just stands there and thinks (that's barely even a taunt) and then the bonus is only 17.5%?

In the meantime, Ken's gives a 31.3% bonus, is fast enough that you can do it safely after a super on slow-rising characters (Chun), and he makes a noise that is infuriating. Now THAT'S a good taunt.

Well with Ibuki you have to actually be close enough to do the leapfrog on them to get the bonus. So you are passing up a chance to throw or combo to actually get it, while someone like Akuma gets the same bonus without having to pass up damage.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
voodoopanda said:
I've been running into so many odd glitches in this game. Just now I joined a player match that had two dudes in it, and they played a Hugo vs Chun-Li match. The Chun-Li lost and left the room, and it counted down for my turn. It just went straight into the game skipping the character select screen, doing Hugo vs Chun-Li again. Except this time I was Chun-Li and she was completely invisible except for her shadow. I imagine the Hugo player saw the same thing due to how he played, and after taunting at each other for a little while, I beat him, the match ended and my whole 360 locked up on a black screen.
Arcade perfect

Xtyle

Raging Spaniard said:
I'm late on this, and I'll get to colors next week ... but the sketch is nice enough to show, I think.

makoto_pencils_02.jpg

Edit: Fixed the image, now she has a right foot! (you can see the old one on the quoted post, for the lolz)

While I like what you are going for with the pose...that upper body/lower body twist is too awkward (pretty much looking at the belt).

qcf x2

LakeEarth said:

Ibuki and Remy, because of exactly what you and TheFightingFish said. Akuma's is too good.

zlatko

Banned
qcf x2 said:
Ibuki and Remy, because of exactly what you and TheFightingFish said. Akuma's is too good.

I main Akuma here in SF3, and his taunt is hot sex lol.

If you do taunt, then do his down down down 2 punches super, you do 80% of their health bar in one shot. It's like 122 damage in training mode if I remember right. SIIIIIIIIIIIICK.

zlatko said:
I main Akuma here in SF3, and his taunt is hot sex lol.

If you do taunt, then do his down down down 2 punches super, you do 80% of their health bar in one shot. It's like 122 damage in training mode if I remember right. SIIIIIIIIIIIICK.
Did they change the input? I thought it was 3 punches.

zlatko

Banned
_dementia said:
Did they change the input? I thought it was 3 punches.

Hm not sure. You'll have to test yourself. I seriously haven't touched this game that much since there isn't an online. I could have sworn I was doing it with 2 punches though.

On the topic of inputs for this game, has it been confirmed for why EX versions of moves are so damn inconsistent? I swear I'm not the only one, and even execution masters are getting hung up on ex moves. Vesper arcade's trials for this game even show EX moves being done with the all 3 punches/kicks button mapping for one of the buttons at the far end.

oracrest

1. Can you play against different regions? In my case, NA against EU?

2. Is it possible to saved any of the unsaved replay matches? I didn't see an option anywhere.

I'm on PSN

Thanks!

DatBreh

Banned
zlatko said:
Hm not sure. You'll have to test yourself. I seriously haven't touched this game that much since there isn't an online. I could have sworn I was doing it with 2 punches though.

On the topic of inputs for this game, has it been confirmed for why EX versions of moves are so damn inconsistent? I swear I'm not the only one, and even execution masters are getting hung up on ex moves. Vesper arcade's trials for this game even show EX moves being done with the all 3 punches/kicks button mapping for one of the buttons at the far end.

And here i was thinking it was just my execution. I hate using characters whose main combos depend on ex moves because its a crap shoot as to whether it will come out or not.

oracrest said:
1. Can you play against different regions? In my case, NA against EU?

2. Is it possible to saved any of the unsaved replay matches? I didn't see an option anywhere.

I'm on PSN

Thanks!

You need to go in Replay in multiplayer go to unsaved replays, you can choose to save them, but once you turned off the ps3, the unsaved replays are gone.

oracrest

SephirothRK said:
You need to go in Replay in multiplayer go to unsaved replays, you can choose to save them, but once you turned off the ps3, the unsaved replays are gone.

Ok, cool. I'll poke around in there and find the option.

It's odd, I don't have any problems getting EX commands off, but I can't get supers out for the life of me. I can do it in the arcade no problem, not sure if the issue is my stick or the game itself.

Morris

Disco Devil
The Take Out Bandit said:
Good games PS3 GAF!

Floydnova hustling people with his "I'm free" then combo mad Yun. SHENANIGANS! >:O

I wasn't lying. I'm free as hell in this game :C. I don't even know how to block!

Morris

Disco Devil
Conceited said:
Don't worry, everybody falls for Floyds false modesty at least once.

I'm serious as hell, I try to parry everything and I get lit up cuz i don't know how to parry well. I rarely try to block in this game.

Also, i've been studying some Kokujin and turns out i've been doing it wrong all the time, I just gotta tell myself: STOP TRYING TO DO FLASHY JUGGLES THAT YOU'RE GONNA DROP 95% OF THE TIME.

duxstar

Is this game supposed to be hard, or is it INFINITELY easier to pull some of this shit off on an arcade stick over a PS3 controller? I just got ryued aout 500 straight times trying to do the "easy" parry challenge, then when i go to training it only gives me like 3 moves per person. Now i KNOW i suck at fighting games, but after playing SSF4 i thought I would pick this up and at least get a little bit of fun out of it, but so far no luck cause its frustrating not knowing if its the controller, or the game is just brutally hard to input controls =/

Top Bottom