• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

V_Arnold

Any EU-Gaf lobbies going on today? I would like to do one with 3-4 people at max, the waiting is comfortable with that size. Tired of ranked, ranked, training, ranked, training.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Just bought this today. I'm pretty much among the best at SF4 on GAF, but feel lost here. Is there like a good beginner 3S tutorial video I can watch somewhere? Buy? Download?

Apparently 3S is ten times more complicated than SF4(which is n00b easy mode), at least from what a few select people in that thread say. I'm one of the top SF4 Ryu players in the country, but I'd like it if I could get a good foundation down in this game with some sort of tutorial. Thanks, dudes!!!

Timedog said:
Just bought this today. I'm pretty much among the best at SF4 on GAF, but feel lost here. Is there like a good beginner 3S tutorial video I can watch somewhere? Buy? Download?

Apparently 3S is ten times more complicated than SF4(which is n00b easy mode), at least from what a few select people in that thread say. I'm one of the top SF4 Ryu players in the country, but I'd like it if I could get a good foundation down in this game with some sort of tutorial. Thanks, dudes!!!
Not sure about video but the Brady Guide good place to start. There is alot of information to get started.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If it's 10-25 times more complicated than SF4, then maybe I should actually get a paper guide. But that's for anniversary collection. Is it really gonna spend enough time solely on SF3???

Timedog said:
If it's 10-25 times more complicated than SF4, then maybe I should actually get a paper guide. But that's for anniversary collection. Is it really gonna spend enough time solely on SF3???
I feel the guide doesnt even go that much in depth into SFII as it does with SF3. There about 100+ page for SF2 and about 80+ for 3S, but the 3S side of the guide has so much detail compared to SF2 side. Heck most of the SF2 pages are just screen shots and the command for the move.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Cloudius12 said:
I feel the guide doesnt even go that much in depth into SFII as it does with SF3. There about 100+ page for SF2 and about 80+ for 3S, but the 3S side of the guide has so much detail compared to SF2 side. Heck most of the SF2 pages are just screen shots and the command for the move.
Is SFIII 10-50x as hard as SFIV??? Will it takes me several years to get the basic concepts down??? Will the online community even be around that long???

V_Arnold

Timedog said:
Is SFIII 10-50x as hard as SFIV??? Will it takes me several years to get the basic concepts down??? Will the online community even be around that long???

Classic Timedog trolling, huh.

Timedog said:
I feel it not as hard as people make it out to be. But I been playing it for a while now. If you put in the time in training mode, you should be able to do pretty good.

Mister Wilhelm said:
Alex, because I am terrible and he is easy.
Ain't nothing wrong with reppin' with Alex. I play online and do his charge <-, -> kick move and when the opponent blocks it I throw out a random Hypah Bomb. Catches opponents like 80% of the time and its hilarious. Just imagining how salty they get puts a smile on my face. =)

Cant find an answer to this but is it possible to remove the "challenges" that pop up on the side when playing in 4:3 in arcade mode? They were cool to start with but now its just really distracting.

kever0nicas said:
Cant find an answer to this but is it possible to remove the "challenges" that pop up on the side when playing in 4:3 in arcade mode? They were cool to start with but now its just really distracting.
no way to remove if you want to play in 4:3 on a widescreen tv. Only way is to play in widescreen mode and stretch to full screen.

bs000

Cloudius12 said:
no way to remove if you want to play in 4:3 on a widescreen tv. Only way is to play in widescreen mode and stretch to full screen.

Or complete them all! Then you'll only get the ones that are repeatable :D

Grokbu

Ugh. So noone on my FL was playing this and I decided to look for a lobby.

Joined one, waited a couple matches and I was booted to the bottom of the queue. Ok?

Decided to keep waiting for my turn, but then during one match, the host decided to jump out.

Everyone in the room except me and one other guy left. So when I had to press ready, it didn't work for whatever reason. The other guy sat waiting for me and finally decided to exit.

So annoying having to sit and wait, only to have stuff crap out on you...

Yeah, I've run into a ton of lobby-related glitches. It rarely seems to work completely right. Often it picks people to play out of order and tends to break when people leave.

Has the replay server been down for everyone else? Today's the third day I haven't been able to search for replays or upload any to youtube. Has there been any word about it? I'm on the 360.

Confession time GAF. So I've only been doing training and multiplayer so far, losing a lot, but I'm new so that's expected. Last night I wasn't feeling up for getting pasted online so I figured that I would just knock off arcade mode quick. 40 minutes later after failing to beat Gill 12 times in a row I just turned it off and gave up. And I think this was just on the default difficulty.

Is it just me or is he actually really hard for a final Capcom boss? Or am I just that bad :(.

TheFightingFish said:
Confession time GAF. So I've only been doing training and multiplayer so far, losing a lot, but I'm new so that's expected. Last night I wasn't feeling up for getting pasted online so I figured that I would just knock off arcade mode quick. 40 minutes later after failing to beat Gill 12 times in a row I just turned it off and gave up. And I think this was just on the default difficulty.

Is it just me or is he actually really hard for a final Capcom boss? Or am I just that bad :(.
Older fighters have tendency to make arcade mode difficult. Stop fretting over losing to the imput-reading CPU.

TheFightingFish said:

He's definitely harder than any boss they've done since CvS2 at least.

I've noticed Gill gets a whole lot easier the more you lose to him and continue. Eventually he gets to the point where you can pretty much just jump in hit over and over and perfect him and he almost never blocks or attacks.

qcf x2

So the Upload to Youtube thing still isn't working for the 360? Second day in a row I get "cannot connect to server".

40 minutes later after failing to beat Gill 12 times in a row I just turned it off and gave up. And I think this was just on the default difficulty.

As with the rest of the arcade mode, CPU Gill is addicted to reacting to your attacks (countering). So with that in mind, once you score a knock down, if you get within throw range he will be in attack mode ~90% of the time. If you're using Ryu, you can throw out a hurricane kick from point blank range (fierce srk with Ken, etc) and he'll usually eat it. When you have a super you can just unleash it as he's getting up and, again, he normally gets hit.

If you just wanna beat him quickly use Chun, score a knockdown, do a HK spinning bird kick, mash HK for legs (while charging another SBK), do the SBK again, hard kick legs again, etc. Throw in a super when you have meter and it's a wrap. You won't even lose a round.

As for general strategy with characters who don't have quick punish moves (Alex, for example), when he has meter try to keep distance from him to get him to waste it on a full screen super (so he can't resurrect).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I finally got around to downloading this for 360, and I have a weird/pointless question. You know how the Game Library shows the box art for the three most recent games you've played? SF3 doesn't have box art, it's just an Xbox Live logo. Is this happening for anyone else, or is my Xbox just being goofy? Nothing major... just wondering.

The game looks great in 4:3 with no filters, but I just wish you could turn those challenge messages off. They're a little bit distracting.

Mike M

Nick N
vatstep said:
I finally got around to downloading this for 360, and I have a weird/pointless question. You know how the Game Library shows the box art for the three most recent games you've played? SF3 doesn't have box art, it's just an Xbox Live logo. Is this happening for anyone else, or is my Xbox just being goofy? Nothing major... just wondering.

The game looks great in 4:3 with no filters, but I just wish you could turn those challenge messages off. They're a little bit distracting.

Mine did that too for a while, but the box art showed up eventually.

Actually thinking back, it happens a lot with XBLA purchases I make the day of release...

Ravage

SephirothRK said:
Here's some highlights from the Kadey's PSN Stream today I picked out :D

http://www.justin.tv/sephirothrk/b/294142418 <- Q is top tier
http://www.justin.tv/sephirothrk/b/294141681 <- Awesome twin combo
http://www.justin.tv/sephirothrk/b/294141533 <- Evo moment #73

Kadey said:
Rollback is crazy in this match. Rounds 2 and 3 specifically. Watch how I srk and get grabbed even though it hit in round 2.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294168999

Full matches of Dragon being Dragon.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294171486

http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294171551

http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294171632

Ken mirror. I always go in.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294168841

wow these vids are incredible, really enjoyed watching them.
Breaks my heart to see Hugo losing after coming so close though :(

leroidys

I've been playing the shit out of the demo lately. I thought I was totally done with fighting games, but I guess I just don't like the mvc, tvc type games, because I am loving 3rd strike. Still debating on whether to buy, or get SSFIV (it's actually cheaper!)

dwu8991

Banned
leroidys said:
I've been playing the shit out of the demo lately. I thought I was totally done with fighting games, but I guess I just don't like the mvc, tvc type games, because I am loving 3rd strike. Still debating on whether to buy, or get SSFIV (it's actually cheaper!)

3rd Strike feels like a has been. Everything about the game reminds you of a lost decade.
You better of getting SSFIV arcade edition. Of course you could get both since they suit different play styles.

qcf x2

SolarKnight said:
Did you try again inmediately after the error?

Yeah, three times in a row. In total I've tried about ten times now. It always says:

Upload Failed (A)
The Street Fighter: Third Strike server is not available at this time. Please try again later. (A)

3rd Strike feels like a has been. Everything about the game reminds you of a lost decade.
You better of getting SSFIV arcade edition. Of course you could get both since they suit different play styles.

Funny, since SF4 plays closer to SF2 than 3rd Strike does. But I'm sure the polygons made you think otherwise.

qcf x2 said:
Yeah, three times in a row. In total I've tried about ten times now. It always says:

Upload Failed (A)
The Street Fighter: Third Strike server is not available at this time. Please try again later. (A)
It's been saying the same thing for me for about 3 days now. Can't search for replays in game either.

I think Hugo is the most fun I've had with a grappler in any Capcom fighter. No offense to Zangief but for whatever reason Hugo is just way more fun to use. T Hawk and Hakan can't compete.

PJX

dwu8991 said:

Shaking_head.gif

Nyoro SF

dwu8991 said:

...Care to clarify this comment?

dwu8991 said:

funny, i haven't even felt like touching SFIV since 3rd Strike came out.

Top Bottom