• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

leroidys said:
I've been playing the shit out of the demo lately. I thought I was totally done with fighting games, but I guess I just don't like the mvc, tvc type games, because I am loving 3rd strike. Still debating on whether to buy, or get SSFIV (it's actually cheaper!)
Get SSFIV. I can't in good conscience recommend this version of the game.

dwu8991 said:
3rd Strike feels like a has been. Everything about the game reminds you of a lost decade.
You better of getting SSFIV arcade edition. Of course you could get both since they suit different play styles.

This is like, well, your opinion, but...reality is just the opposite, SSF4 is much closer to SF2 in terms of gameplay than 3rd Strike

Hunter-Zero said:
This is like, well, your opinion, but...reality is just the opposite, SSF4 is much closer to SF2 in terms of gameplay than 3rd Strike
That's false. FADC is a pretty modern/anime game style mechanic (think Roman Cancels).

DigiMish

_dementia said:
That's false. FADC is a pretty modern/anime game style mechanic (think Roman Cancels).

The mechanic might be new, but the rest of the game is more similar to Street Fighter 2 than 3rd strike.

h3ro

_dementia said:

I still wish I didn't have to input a dash on top of the FA in IV. That double input will always be my downfall when it comes to FADCing into Ultras.

El Sloth

Banned
leroidys said:
I've been playing the shit out of the demo lately. I thought I was totally done with fighting games, but I guess I just don't like the mvc, tvc type games, because I am loving 3rd strike. Still debating on whether to buy, or get SSFIV (it's actually cheaper!)
Are there still a good chunk of people playing No Frills SSIV or have the majority moved on to AE? Depending on the answer it won't turn out to be cheaper for you.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll be starting a stream and lobby later on.

I still wish I didn't have to input a dash on top of the FA in IV. That double input will always be my downfall when it comes to FADCing into Ultras.

Practice makes perfect. It's easier to learn by focusing incoming attacks. The shotos are easy to start off with.

Malajax

Any guides or tips to get better with grapplers? I've been playing as Hugo mostly, but I can't get 360s down quite right. Not good enough to punish anyway. I'll throw before thinking to 360. That's a really poor choice considering how much damage I could possibly inflict, but I often just can't. I can do well enough without grappling, but I know my game would skyrocket if I knew how to do consistent 360s. Training buddy, perhaps?

RS4-

Malajax said:
Any guides or tips to get better with grapplers? I've been playing as Hugo mostly, but I can't get 360s down quite right. Not good enough to punish anyway. I'll throw before thinking to 360. That's a really poor choice considering how much damage I could possibly inflict, but I often just can't. I can do well enough without grappling, but I know my game would skyrocket if I knew how to do consistent 360s. Training buddy, perhaps?

It's funny, 3s is probably the only SF game where I have a hard time doing 360s. Every Capcom game that had that motion, I have no problem doing it the way I've always done: a complete 360.

Just sit in training mode and practice doing standing 360s. Whether it's the shortcut mode, going clockwise or counter clockwise or doing full motions.

Malajax

RS4- said:
It's funny, 3s is probably the only SF game where I have a hard time doing 360s. Every Capcom game that had that motion, I have no problem doing it the way I've always done: a complete 360.

Just sit in training mode and practice doing standing 360s. Whether it's the shortcut mode, going clockwise or counter clockwise or doing full motions.

I sat in training mode for a good 20 min yesterday doing just that. I can pull them off well enough, but whenever I'm in a fight I find myself not doing them.

Perhaps my problem isn't so much a "problem" as it is an observation :(

BadWolf

DigiMish said:
The mechanic might be new, but the rest of the game is more similar to Street Fighter 2 than 3rd strike.

Garou MOTW did it a decade earlier.

Ryu Dp > FADC > Ultra looks near identical to Terry DP > Break > Super

Same with the invincibility on the back dash, MOTW had it as well. Not surprising really since Dimps was set up by ex-SNK/Fatal Fury staff.

DigiMish

BadWolf said:
Garou MOTW did it a decade earlier.

Ryu Dp > FADC > Ultra looks near identical to Terry > Break > Super

Same with the invincibility on the back dash, MOTW had it as well. Not surprising really since Dimps was set up by ex-SNK/Fatal Fury staff.

I meant new for Street Fighter games.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So any tips on doing Makoto's 100% stun combo? Any way to tell if I kara'd the mp fukiage or not? Would like to at least be able to tell what I'm doing wrong, but the damn screen moves up and I can't tell if I'm getting the kara off or not.

leroidys

El Sloth said:
Are there still a good chunk of people playing No Frills SSIV or have the majority moved on to AE? Depending on the answer it won't turn out to be cheaper for you.

I thought AE was free DLC if you have SSFIV?

EDIT:

Ah shit, looks like it's only a balance patch that's free. Explains why ssfiv is so cheap :(

Oh god.

Kadey destroyed my new Oro with ONE MOVE WONDER Alex. D:

It's my own damn fault for falling for it.

GGS guys.

Now we're slumming it on inferior fighter 4. Feels bad man.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I was playing drunk and laughing at some guy wearing boxers, a prinny hat, wife beater and space boots dancing to the Rebecca Black song.

Stream and lobby is still going!

zlatko

Banned
Timedog said:
I have literally no one to play in this game.

XBL: TimedogGAF

I'll hop on doug. You up for it ?

Edit: Timedog and I are ass at this game. He trolled me with Chun, and then I trolled him with Urien. We don't know combos, and the only thing we can parry is full screen fireballs. It was funny watching us both struggle to do shit against blatantly obvious crap. He would do chuns sweep and I was mind fucked, and I did a couple of Urien knee presses in a row on him until he realized ohs hit gotta block it high.

GGs again man. Hope you learned at least some of the blatantly scrub tactics of some of the cast.

mbmonk

What would be a figthing game that is similar to the speed and parry systems 3rd strike and has online play? Blazblue?

I am really enjoying 3SO. It's been a bit hard to go back to the plodding pace of SF4 and SF x Tekken looks to have a similar speed/pace.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Last night was pretty crazy with the boots and everybody, mostly me just being goofy.

Super cancel.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294242779

The worst of the stomping. Alex vs Oro.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294240681

Yang vs Sean.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294243975

Yun vs Chun.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294244391

Necro vs Sean.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294244200

Dudley vs Yang.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294242356

Chun vs Yun.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/294242443

mbmonk said:
What would be a figthing game that is similar to the speed and parry systems 3rd strike and has online play? Blazblue?

I am really enjoying 3SO. It's been a bit hard to go back to the plodding pace of SF4 and SF x Tekken looks to have a similar speed/pace.
Someone else probably knows better than me, but I can't really think of any modern fighters that play like 3rd Strike. BlazBlue is that school of fighter that's all about movement options with double/triple jumps and air dashes, plus really long combos. BB is closer to something like the Versus series.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves comes to mind as being somewhat similar(?) but that's just as old as 3rd Strike and the netcode is really bad and I doubt you'd find anyone playing it nowadays.

If anyone knows of any games that'd fit, I'd love to hear about it too. This resurgence of fighting games has brought a lot of titles but it still seems to be lacking anything close to 3rd Strike as far as I can tell.

mbmonk

voodoopanda said:
Someone else probably knows better than me, but I can't really think of any modern fighters that play like 3rd Strike. BlazBlue is that school of fighter that's all about movement options with double/triple jumps and air dashes, plus really long combos. BB is closer to something like the Versus series.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves comes to mind as being somewhat similar(?) but that's just as old as 3rd Strike and the netcode is really bad and I doubt you'd find anyone playing it nowadays.

If anyone knows of any games that'd fit, I'd love to hear about it too. This resurgence of fighting games has brought a lot of titles but it still seems to be lacking anything close to 3rd Strike as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the info Panda. I am going to have to research Garou: Mark of the Wolves for the hell of it. Thanks again :)

RS4- said:
Yeah I'll squeeze in a few games before I head out for lunch lol; hopefully my cousin isn't lagging it up with skype.

Argh, owned up.

Good shit man, aggressive ass Dudley. In lag match environment I couldn't react to any of the high/low pressure unfortunately. Hate to blame it on lag but it was a big part of it.

Anyways, good matches. Wish I could play you on a faster connection!

RS4-

adversesolutions said:
Argh, owned up.

Good shit man, aggressive ass Dudley. In lag match environment I couldn't react to any of the high/low pressure unfortunately. Hate to blame it on lag but it was a big part of it.

Anyways, good matches. Wish I could play you on a faster connection!

Yeah man, good games. My cousin is only in town for another day or two, so hopefully things get better by then.

So bad when trying to hit confirm off things then it rolls back lol.

Nice Remy and Urien. Hard to react to the ex tackles :(

zlatko

Banned
mbmonk said:
Thanks for the info Panda. I am going to have to research Garou: Mark of the Wolves for the hell of it. Thanks again :)

3S and Garou are the only games that are similar to each other. The main differences between Garou and 3S(without going super technical) is that Garou's roster is infinitely way more balanced than 3S, and the usual jumping mechanics of KoF games is present. Rush down is the name of the game with Garou just like in 3S, but just about every character is given a viable method of getting people off them, and just defend works similar to parry.

It's a fucking awesome game, but no one is playing it even on GGPO and Supercade. I mean you'll find SOME people, but it isn't even close to what lobbies for like KoF games are in GGPO.

What part of 3S exactly is to your liking? Maybe King of Fighters games in general would be more to your liking since they are faster paced than SF, and more about getting in your opponents face.

If this turns you on then pick it up October 25th when it hits consoles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlECiGwRbRA

mbmonk

I had no idea Ryu's SA1 was so easy to combo into ( cr.mk xx haduken xx SA1 ). I finished off an Akuma player with it and I had a grin from ear to ear.

Top Bottom