• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

mbmonk said:
I had no idea Ryu's SA1 was so easy to combo into ( cr.mk xx haduken xx SA1 ). I finished off an Akuma player with it and I had a grin from ear to ear.
If you can, try to cut out the hadouken and go straight from cr mk -> shinku since it does more damage.

On unrelated note, Necro's last trial is ridiculous. 5 db hp in a row! That's some bullshit. Has anyone done it? My best is 3.

Tips?

zlatko

Banned
toasty_T said:
If you can, try to cut out the hadouken and go straight from cr mk -> shinku since it does more damage.

On unrelated note, Necro's last trial is ridiculous. 5 db hp in a row! That's some bullshit. Has anyone done it? My best is 3.

Tips?

I did it. It's about timing, and no mashing. I assume it's 5 1 frame links or 5 2 framers. After the first db Hp, the follow up one is slightly delayed if I remember correctly, and then the rest are just done right in a row.

Not sure if double tapping or plinking would help do it. I just did it normally, and got it on my like 7th try. As long as you don't mash, and can speed up/slow down by fractions of a second you'll eventually get it.

The Dudley one that wants 4 Cr. Rh in a row I was able to do with sound and watching Chun Li. Find some kind of tell like looking at Necros body animations and when you hit the button.

Good luck.

mbmonk

toasty_T said:

Thanks. That is good to know. Currently my hands aren't fast enough to do this, but it is worth practicing.

zlatko said:
What part of 3S exactly is to your liking? Maybe King of Fighters games in general would be more to your liking since they are faster paced than SF, and more about getting in your opponents face.

If this turns you on then pick it up October 25th when it hits consoles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlECiGwRbRA

I think I like the faster pace of 3S compared to SF4. Also I like the parry system over the focus attack and dash cancel mechanic.

I have been keeping an eye on KoF for awhile now. I just keep hearing about how their netcode is horrible and online play is going to be my main method of play against others. But I might pick it up or rent the upcoming version of KoF just to check it out. It looks beautiful. Thanks Zlatko.

qcf x2

voodoopanda said:
Garou: Mark of the Wolves comes to mind as being somewhat similar(?) but that's just as old as 3rd Strike and the netcode is really bad and I doubt you'd find anyone playing it nowadays.

If anyone knows of any games that'd fit, I'd love to hear about it too. This resurgence of fighting games has brought a lot of titles but it still seems to be lacking anything close to 3rd Strike as far as I can tell.

That's because 3s is the cream of the crop. Garou is a good suggestion, but how about another SNK classic (besides KoF, which I hope you all will consider when 13 drops), Last Blade 2?

It has a parry button and despite being a weapons based fighter it's an amazing game. Also SNK's best looking (sorry MotW fans). The issue of course is that SNK has yet to release (or even announce) it for PSN/XBLA. :(
Wait, what's wrong with this version?

The matchmaking and glitches associated with some connections are embarrassing. Also I did Hugo's wall-throw and it beat Necro's SA1; somehow I don't think that's supposed to happen. I could be wrong, though. But that move loses to everything, so idk why it would beat a super.

any tips on what normals to use for AA and poking?

back + mk and back +hk (you can cancel it) are your combo starters in close, standing mk is the standard poke otherwise. As for anti-air, cr MP and standing mp (or st HP if you don't mind trading). His j MK is a good air-to-air, nice range.

Degen

Calcaneus said:
Wait, what's wrong with this version?
the online play is garbage.

"Player Match" lobbies can and will kick any number of people out at any given moment for no reason, and it's frequent.

Ranked matches have you go against whoever the network decides to throw at you. There are no options available for it. Your opponents can even see who you choose! So picking a character can easily take all 30 seconds (or whatever time they give you) while your opponent sits there waiting to try and "counter-pick" whoever you select.

in every area besides the gameplay--only because that's a matter of opinion--this game is massively inferior to 4. fun, though.

Agent X

toasty_T said:

Tips?

I've done it (and it's 6, by the way). It took me about 10 tries, maybe a little more, but not nearly as hard as some of the other trials.

As zlatko said, it's all about the timing. The first one is easy (of course), the second one (to continue the juggle) is harder. Once I got the third one, I went right to fourth, fifth, sixth, and finished it. I think if you can get the timing to successfully hit the third one, the rest should come naturally.

SkylineRKR

wow, I thought this game had button lag. But ever since I unplugged the TE stick and went with Saturn USB pad the correct timing seems to be back. Chun's c.MK to super = 100% success rate. hk jump cancel to super like 80%. Had huge problems with those on stick, for some reason.

Super fireball parry was easier now as well, also finally completed Urien #4, Chun #5 and Ken #5 now. I swear the inputs are faster with this pad. Either that or my TE stick is bugged... Anyone else having similar experiences?

Dual inputs are harder though...

zlatko

Banned
mbmonk said:
Thanks. That is good to know. Currently my hands aren't fast enough to do this, but it is worth practicing.

I think I like the faster pace of 3S compared to SF4. Also I like the parry system over the focus attack and dash cancel mechanic.

I have been keeping an eye on KoF for awhile now. I just keep hearing about how their netcode is horrible and online play is going to be my main method of play against others. But I might pick it up or rent the upcoming version of KoF just to check it out. It looks beautiful. Thanks Zlatko.

Yeah KoF12 online was ass, but it's been a few years since 12, and SNKP/Atlus are promising and keep reassuring that online net code is their primary focus with this console version coming out. Hopefully the reviews before the game comes out shows the net code/matchmaking is on par to today's standards.

I too like 3S' overall faster gameplay and focus on offense, but I like games with longer combos like KoF and SSF4 as well. Maybe some day we'll get a Garou Mark of the Wolves 2. :O

Agent X

Degen said:
Ranked matches have you go against whoever the network decides to throw at you. There are no options available for it. Your opponents can even see who you choose! So picking a character can easily take all 30 seconds (or whatever time they give you) while your opponent sits there waiting to try and "counter-pick" whoever you select.

The online matchmaking could use a great deal of improvement. I'd like more matchmaking options myself, and of course double-blind character selection (required for ranked, optional for unranked).

You can parry it, the problem is guessing which side to parry x__x

*parries forward* *gets crossed up*
*parries behind* *doesn't get crossed up*

Yeah...

Crisis

Banned
Guys, weird question. Whenever I play the game on Xbox and I go back to my game library, there's never any artwork for Third Strike. It's just a green Xbox Live box instead of the game's artwork. Anyone else have this happen?

SolarKnight said:

Yeah, I was having trouble with that on block too. :|

Rolling or rising punch might have worked, or been an option if I:

A. Remembered how to roll out consistently.
B. Didn't have my stupid stick in my lap.

I just wanted to get a game rotation going on and do some audio editing between matches, but I got stuck in kadey's rape room and everybody else was having trouble connecting / dropping out / sending me invites to other rooms. :p

Note to self: Don't try to learn a new character when playing Kadey.

mbmonk

I am a very low level Ryu player that tends to turtle; Yun/Yang just give me nightmares. I think my main problem against Yun & Yang is they have, what seem to me, good tools to get inside and once they are inside their moves seem to be fast and link together well. Since they get in close to me I am constantly trying to figure out if they are going to combo me/grab -> combo/overhead me. Yun's block strings seem to have very small windows to punish them. When Yun is near me and I press a button I get hammered with a combo, if I don't press a button he is getting free pressure and will eventually throw me.

My natural tendency is to block if I don't know what to do. So I think the characters are just a good matchup against me as a player regardless of what character I choose. Because the heavy rushdown has always been tough for me to deal with. I have the exact same problems with Yun/Yang in SSF4:AE. I feel like I am always on the defensive and trying to react to Yun/Yang and doing so poorly. :)

Any suggestions? I assume learning the matchups/framedata is going to be key. Knowing what I can and cannot punish etc.

I downloaded the demo, and I have to say, having never really liked Street Fighter before (I'm a Virtua Fighter fan, one of five left in the world), this game got me re-interested in the series. I will pick up IV soon, having never played it.

Crisis said:
Guys, weird question. Whenever I play the game on Xbox and I go back to my game library, there's never any artwork for Third Strike. It's just a green Xbox Live box instead of the game's artwork. Anyone else have this happen?

This happened to me with The Sims 3. EA never fixed it.

mbmonk said:
I am a very low level Ryu player that tends to turtle; Yun/Yang just give me nightmares. I think my main problem against Yun & Yang is they have, what seem to me, good tools to get inside and once they are inside their moves seem to be fast and link together well. Since they get in close to me I am constantly trying to figure out if they are going to combo me/throw/overhead me. Yun's block strings seem to have very small windows to punish them. When Yun is near me and I press a button I get hammered with a combo, if I don't press a button he is getting free pressure and will eventually throw me.

My natural tendency is to block if I don't know what to do. So I think the characters are just a good matchup against me as a player regardless of what character I choose. Because the heavy rushdown has always been tough for me to deal with. I have the exact same problems with Yun/Yang in SSF4:AE. I feel like I am always on the defensive and trying to react to Yun/Yang and doing so poorly. :)

Any suggestions? I assume learning the matchups/framedata is going to be key. Knowing what I can and cannot punish etc.
Honestly, I'm terrible at defense as well, yet I naturally used to take the option at every turn. What I did was, well, became more offensive. Whom ever you are playing with, read up on what moves are good in what situations and really try to press more attacks on your opponent. This will hopefully cause them to not go on so haphazardly on you. It worked for me in both third strike as well as IV(using both Twelve and Claw respectively). Im a much better player now, and still a bit defensive at heart, but you gotta knock the hell out of the bully sometimes in order to make him stop. Just know what to knock him with.

Degen said:
the online play is garbage.

"Player Match" lobbies can and will kick any number of people out at any given moment for no reason, and it's frequent.

in every area besides the gameplay--only because that's a matter of opinion--this game is massively inferior to 4. fun, though.
That's absolute nonsense. The matchmaking may be shit (though I've had few issues finding ranked matches recently) but the netcode is far, far better than 4's.

fubarduck

SolarKnight said:

*parries forward* *gets crossed up*
*parries behind* *doesn't get crossed up*

Yeah...

Pick a direction, tap and hold it to the timing of the move.

If you guess right, you parry.
If you guess wrong, you block the move.

Did I just blow your mind!?!??

qcf x2

mbmonk said:

Parry and punish. Also, keep them away as much as you can. I assume you're using SA1. So if you see any dumb long-range dive kicks you can throw that out (or ex hadouken).

3rd Strike is an extreme momentum game. When you're feeling panicked or helpeless it's because you're getting rushed down. You're making it easy for your opponent, so what you want to do is put him in your shoes. Once you score a knockdown, mix up between f+mp overhead, cr lk x2, cr mk--> lk tatsu, throw, UOH, etc. Unlike in SSF4 the twins are shit out of luck when they're on the defensive in 3s.

Also, anecdote: Low to medium level Yun players do not know how to act when they activate GJ. Usually they are dashing at you like mad. One parry into a counter takes care of that.

just out of curiosity, what is everyone's visual settings with the game? I'd imagine most people do 4:3 with no filters.

Crisp and 4:3 is beautiful.

Also, I was gonna post what fubarduck suggested for defending stomps. Basically you can tap-block the stomp, which will either give you a block or a parry.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Took a crazy amount of losses today courtesy of UsviStar (dunno who that is on here). I stuck with Q the whole time and took some punishment but I think it helped me improve with him. Hopefully.

bob_arctor said:
Took a crazy amount of losses today courtesy of UsviStar (dunno who that is on here). I stuck with Q the whole time and took some punishment but I think it helped me improve with him. Hopefully.

qcfx2 judging by the avatar

mbmonk

abstract alien said:
Honestly, I'm terrible at defense as well, yet I naturally used to take the option at every turn. What I did was, well, became more offensive. Whom ever you are playing with, read up on what moves are good in what situations and really try to press more attacks on your opponent. This will hopefully cause them to not go on so haphazardly on you. It worked for me in both third strike as well as IV(using both Twelve and Claw respectively). Im a much better player now, and still a bit defensive at heart, but you gotta knock the hell out of the bully sometimes in order to make him stop. Just know what to knock him with.

qcf x2 said:
Parry and punish. Also, keep them away as much as you can. I assume you're using SA1. So if you see any dumb long-range dive kicks you can throw that out (or ex hadouken).

3rd Strike is an extreme momentum game. When you're feeling panicked or helpeless it's because you're getting rushed down. You're making it easy for your opponent, so what you want to do is put him in your shoes. Once you score a knockdown, mix up between f+mp overhead, cr lk x2, cr mk--> lk tatsu, throw, UOH, etc. Unlike in SSF4 the twins are shit out of luck when they're on the defensive in 3s.

Also, anecdote: Low to medium level Yun players do not know how to act when they activate GJ. Usually they are dashing at you like mad. One parry into a counter takes care of that.

Just wanted to thank you both. One represents a shift in mindset and the other suggestion is a modification in my existing mindset to a degree. Very interesting options.

I think I will try both over the course of the game. I have a long ways to go to get my offense going. I tend to get excited even online and that affects my execution. Pressure busts pipes... and in my case the 'pipes' is my execution... sadly :)

mbmonk

fubarduck said:
Pick a direction, tap and hold it to the timing of the move.

If you guess right, you parry.
If you guess wrong, you block the move.

Did I just blow your mind!?!??

That sounds like it would apply to almost all ambigous cross-ups not just Alex.

Mind Blown!!!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Oh Fubar. We need to play. :)

Hopefully people actually apply the stuff they read. Most people on GAF talk about the games but never really play it. Same deal with the SF thread. Certain people can talk all day about frames, option selects and strats but when you play them, they play nothing like they speak. Worst yet, they can talk about the game but don't play it at all.

I don't care too much about any of that stuff. I just play. If I get blown up, I attempt to learn from it through experience.

Stream and lobby later tonight. About an hour and a half at the earliest.

ShaneB

Kadey said:
Oh Fubar. We need to play. :)

Hopefully people actually apply the stuff they read. Most people on GAF talk about the games but never really play it. Same deal with the SF thread. Certain people can talk all day about frames, option selects and strats but when you play them, they play nothing like they speak. Worst yet, they can talk about the game but don't play it at all.

I don't care too much about any of that stuff. I just play. If I get blown up, I attempt to learn from it through experience.

Stream and lobby later tonight. About an hour and a half at the earliest.

No different than anything else really.. it's why there are few professional athletes, but endless amounts of critics and analysts.

ElFly

Widescreen no filters.

Can't stand the bars on the side with the achievements, so a little stretching is a good trade off.

qcf x2

bob_arctor said:
oh snap. didn't make that connection. good shit, qcfx2. next time, i'll bring some hugo--if only to pay you back for the ibuki taunt win. bastard. ;-)

I blame the stupid HUD telling me those finishes give me points, lol. ggs, your corner traps are pretty good. Don't be afraid to throw out the fierce scratches as an anti-air every now and then.

And bring on Hugo, I have a tough time beating him with Alex for some reason. Might have to resort to my main chicks (Elena/Ibuki).

mbmonk said:
Just wanted to thank you both. One represents a shift in mindset and the other suggestion is a modification in my existing mindset to a degree. Very interesting options.

I think I will try both over the course of the game. I have a long ways to go to get my offense going. I tend to get excited even online and that affects my execution. Pressure busts pipes... and in my case the 'pipes' is my execution... sadly :)
I don't think you really have to choose between the two suggestions, as his is more refined to playing with ryu specifically, where as I was speaking in a more general sense across the character board.

A lot about being successful in fighting games at anything above scrub level, is being "intelligently organic" in your play style really. This is especially important in 3S considering the instantaneous nature of the parry and its core usefulness at almost all times. I remember back in the day getting so used to playing the same local friends and whatnot that I would simply try to find what worked against them. What I should have been doing more of, was trying to find what works against the actual character they are playing with. I think that is more important, since it can be applied across any opponent you run into. The player tendency is important as well to exploit, its just that it is applied to a player specific basis and not an overcasting of the character itself.

I'm still very much a beginner in this game as far as skill level is concerned, but I have gotten MUCH better at it and quite victorious on several occasions(with Twelve no less). I've applied both what qcf said(knowing more technical character specific info) as well as what I was speaking on and it has helped a ton. I can actually not get completely obliterated at every turn by really good players now and have a pretty competitive match lol

Also...LEARN YOUR NORMALS!!! KNOW EVERY DAMN BUTTON, WHAT IT DOES, AND WHAT IT MEANS FOR YOUR CHARACTER!!!

/two_pennies

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Got to play some games with the legend Alex Valle on peaceful jays stream tonight and had a blast. Took to the training room afterwards and there is no feeling like when your character starts to feel complete. When you know your anti-airs and your options for rush down.

zlatko

Banned
n3ss said:
Games anyone?

XBL: n33ss

Saw your invite earlier today(Outlaw Slevin), but I had to pass because I was more in the mood to just grind offline and try some tutorials again.

I hate some of the trials in this game. Makoto's #3 or 4, just wants a jump rh into a few hits into dash punch into super. Last time I attempted it I thought I was just ass at execution on getting the super out, then today I tried with pianoing the inputs for super and still wasn't getting it. Only after like 20 minutes did I realize for whatever god damn reason the only way to get the dash punch to go into super is if you do a double motion super after the original QCF +p for dash punch, where the other supers in this game it records that first QCF as the first one for the super motion.

I even managed to get Yang's stupid trial 4 where it wants two supers after you kick chuns ass in the air. God how I hate Capcom's dumb trials where there's a "trick" to them that isn't explained. With this one you had to have chun towards the corner, but with a little room left behind her, and then you have to cancel into yang's super right as she gets popped into the air, and then as you are floating back down do yang's super the other direction mid air to get the follow up. Goofy ass stuff. :/

Can someone tell me who the best Urien player in the world is so I can youtube him? Something about that big naked bastard is fun as hell to play. :p

Top Bottom