• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Mike M

Nick N
Happened upon some New Generation and Giant Attack videos tonight, and once again I wish those stages were going to be DLC. They seem more animated and visually interesting than many of Third Strike's, what with Ibuki and Elena's monochromatic downgraded BGs and Alpha 1-esque palette swapped stages bullshit for nearly half the cast (Well, it's permissible for the twins I guess). This for the third and final iteration of the game? Baffling.

Only thing I don't miss (and indeed had forgotten about) were the sudden changes in times of day/location between rounds. Only Elena's stage had any transition I can remember, everything else was like "Well round two is hours later!" or "At some point you moved in doors!"

Mike M

Nick N
Went to play some today and found all my unlocks and vault points had vanished D:

WTF, now I have to start all over on unlocking Gill. With my lack of skill and the inability to adjust the settings of arcade mode, that really really sucks.

Anyone else have this happen?

oracrest

ggs last night and today, gaf. I am finally getting used to the stick, and can pull off the standing 360. The trials help out a lot with timing.

Is there something special you have to do to make a USB keyboard work? I have tried two, but the typing doesn't work.

oracrest said:
ggs last night and today, gaf. I am finally getting used to the stick, and can pull off the standing 360. The trials help out a lot with timing.

Is there something special you have to do to make a USB keyboard work? I have tried two, but the typing doesn't work.
No, you shouldn't have to do anything besides plugging them in. Providing it works with your PC of course.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ive read the OP and all.. but could someone explain me charge partition to me? Sorry for being dumb. :(

(Urien player wannabe here)

Mike M

Nick N
Fersis said:
Ive read the OP and all.. but could someone explain me charge partition to me? Sorry for being dumb. :(

Charge 3/4th's of a charge or so, dash then immediately return to charging position, complete the charge motion.

Doesn't work if you fully charge before dashing.

I've never gotten it to work at all

LakeEarth said:
I see people who are passed level 20 on the ranked bar and I'm thinking "how do you have the patience?"
Like 2-3 days after release I ran into a few guys around level 20. I checked the boards after each match and it wasn't like they had 95% win rates. They'd just played hundreds of games. I don't know how anyone could have such patience.

(Though I also play a lot and just read a book while waiting for matchmaking so I guess I'm not much different...)

Now that things have improved online a bit I'm running into tons of shotos. I miss fighting the freaks.

RS4-

It's pretty easy to hit a high level with a limited amount of games depending on who you use.

I didn't have a problem hitting level 16 or something within a week and a half or so because winning a round by killing with a taunt gives you 20 XP (wins give you 40) so you do you have the opportunity to double your XP gain; I didn't realize parrying a super completely also gives you 20 XP; had I known that, I would have stopped cross countering on the last or mid super.

zlatko

Banned
Fersis said:

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/sep/10/charge-buffering-street-fighter-4/

I believe this is the same thing as in SF3's.

The trick is basically when you want to do a charge move instead of say for a Urien tackle which is hold back, then go forward + kick, you would quickly hit forward, and towards your way to back super fast you hit the kick, that way when the tackle comes out you are already charging your next move.

zlatko

Banned
SolarKnight said:
That's not the same thing, SFIV doesn't have charge partitioning IIRC.

Edit: Oh wow they are indeed vastly different. I had no clue. I'll have to practice this a lot to get it down.

I am amazed how much every one loves to back themselves up to the corner. Its the worst place you want to be and gives your opponent multiple zoning and mix up options.

zlatko

Banned
_dementia said:
Charge Partitioning does not exist in SF4

Okay cool.

@Toonami 99

<_< I don't know about backing up, but some of the character in this game can put you in the corner from one touch. Yun can lunge punch and boom you're there. Urien with a tackle tackle Aegis combo = you are in corner. It can be quite the pain in the ass to not get yourself put in the corner when trying to play footsies in this game.

Ferrio

Banned
SlaughterX said:
So is this shit never coming to Amazon, I really don't want to put my CC on PSN or spend $20 on PSN money just to use $15!

Why not? Cause of the prior shit that happened? I think after all the shit that happened they have it locked down pretty good, because if it happened again it'd destroy them.

zlatko

Banned
SlaughterX said:
So is this shit never coming to Amazon, I really don't want to put my CC on PSN or spend $20 on PSN money just to use $15!

You could try using the GAF buy sell trade thread to paypal someone the 20 bucks and them give you the PSN code card, then use the card to buy it off psn.

zlatko

Banned
Conceited said:

I'm pumped to see him in action online. Should be interesting. :p

Anyone here got any tips on tackle tackle headbutt with Urien by the way? I spent a good hour + trying to get it down, but out of like hundreds of attempts maybe 5-10 of them got me two medium tackles to connect on Ken in training.

I checked some online tutorials and videos, and I know it's just buffering, and that the headbutt when you get to it will be partitioned so you can just hit up + MP for it to come out, which even the times I whiffed tackle tackle, I could still get the headbutt too to whiff, so I know it would hit IF I could get the two tackles to connect.

I want to master this BnB, before I move on to cracking the nut that is partitioning anywhere on screen.

For the record I do cr Fierce, while that is going on I'm holding down back, when they are popped up into the air I'll do forward, and then do downback + Mk. The tackle will come out, and now as I'm holding down back for this new tackle, I go for forward + MK, but I'll usually either get a standing MK or a head butt that is way too late. I can get head butt into ex headbutt since you can do ex so late and it picks them up.

Thoughts ?

zlatko said:
I'm pumped to see him in action online. Should be interesting. :p

Anyone here got any tips on tackle tackle headbutt with Urien by the way? I spent a good hour + trying to get it down, but out of like hundreds of attempts maybe 5-10 of them got me two medium tackles to connect on Ken in training.

I checked some online tutorials and videos, and I know it's just buffering, and that the headbutt when you get to it will be partitioned so you can just hit up + MP for it to come out, which even the times I whiffed tackle tackle, I could still get the headbutt too to whiff, so I know it would hit IF I could get the two tackles to connect.

I want to master this BnB, before I move on to cracking the nut that is partitioning anywhere on screen.

For the record I do cr Fierce, while that is going on I'm holding down back, when they are popped up into the air I'll do forward, and then do downback + Mk. The tackle will come out, and now as I'm holding down back for this new tackle, I go for forward + MK, but I'll usually either get a standing MK or a head butt that is way too late. I can get head butt into ex headbutt since you can do ex so late and it picks them up.

Thoughts ?

tackle > tackle is really hard to do if not impossible as times. The best bnb you should do is cr. HP > MK tackle > EX Tackle > Tackle > HP

zlatko

Banned
Cloudius12 said:
tackle > tackle is really hard to do if not impossible as times. The best bnb you should do is cr. HP > MK tackle > EX Tackle > Tackle > HP

I gotta learn it though. It's like playing with one hand behind your back if you don't with Urien. Watching Gootecks' urien right now he hits it no problem. It must be a lot of practice and getting that sweet timing then ?

Edit: Gootecks was cool enough to answer my question about it on stream. He said he does mk tackle then lk tackle because it's easier than mk mk which does a little more damage, but is a lot hard to pull off. :)

Get this ggpo shit out of mine SF3, capcom and put backbone on it. That'll fix the rank matchmaking system. That way, I can get my last achievement.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
My friend Rens decided to ink the Makoto piece, he did a badass job!

makoto_inks_by_rvdw-d49ixcc.png

I'll get to colors sometime soon, Skullgirls work has been kicking my ass.

vg260

Mike M said:
Happened upon some New Generation and Giant Attack videos tonight, and once again I wish those stages were going to be DLC. They seem more animated and visually interesting than many of Third Strike's, what with Ibuki and Elena's monochromatic downgraded BGs and Alpha 1-esque palette swapped stages bullshit for nearly half the cast (Well, it's permissible for the twins I guess). This for the third and final iteration of the game? Baffling.

Only thing I don't miss (and indeed had forgotten about) were the sudden changes in times of day/location between rounds. Only Elena's stage had any transition I can remember, everything else was like "Well round two is hours later!" or "At some point you moved in doors!"

I played 2nd Impact again recently and like the presentation so much better than 3rd strike. A big step back in a lot of ways despite 3rd Strike being the definitive gameplay. I actually like 2nd Impact as a whole better.

LeleSocho

Banned
Anyone who wants a easy victory can add me on PSN LeleSocho
I'm very poorly skilled but you can always find me online because i freaking love this game

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
BadWolf said:
Any idea what program he used to ink that?

Sketchbook Pro + Cintiq, the guy has always been an absolute freak about clean lineart though, so if he had used Photoshop and a tablet it would be comparable.

Top Bottom