• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeteh

Man, I need to give up on the Cammy dream. I make too many mistakes and play too defensive to play her. Its driving me insane.

Do you play defensively or reactionary? There's a difference.

If it's reactionary then give Karin an honest shot.

If it's defensive then why not try out a character like Guile?

Xeteh

Do you play defensively or reactionary? There's a difference.

If it's reactionary then give Karin an honest shot.

If it's defensive then why not try out a character like Guile?

Probably more reactionary. I love Karin but the more I play her versus other players the less I feel like she's my character. I don't really know how to play her vs people though.

Edit: is it bad that while I'm drunk it took me way more tries to finish Karin's 3rd trial than it did to finish her 6th? It is, right?

Well i set up port forwarding on tuesday, tried for 20 mins, fought the same guy twice as it was doing before, then 10 min wait and nothing so turned it off. But i tried again last night and found matches much faster and never the same person so maybe its better?

Also decided to drop Mika and try someone new. I find her fun but i dont think she suits me play style wise. So i played around in training with guile for 20 mins and decided to give him a go. Went on to find casual matches. Got bodied the first few but then beat 3 different people. Not bad with so little practice. I like how he isnt so execution heavy and is more about the fundamentals. At least he feels that way.

I bought the deluxe edition so i may as well take advantage of one of the dlc chars and their premium outfit lol.

So by the end of that senssion i was feeling reasonably good and im going to stick with guile and see how i get on.

Also played against a Mika as guile... Fuck Mika lol.

Xeteh

Nonsense. If you play semi frequently there is no reason you can't improve.

You're not wrong. I just make so many mistakes in my play Cammy doesn't give me a chance to recover. Fucking up while playing a 900/900 character doesn't allow you much. I'm not blaming the character here, I'm blaming me. I've seen what Cammy can do, I don't think I can do that.

GorillaJu

Leveled up my game a lot today. Feels good to put the stick down feeling a better player than when I picked it up.

That's all that I really need to enjoy this game. It's not fun feeling hopeless. I don't need to win, I just need to feel like I'm learning something.

lol A higher ranked Gief just raged on me in casuals after beating me the first game and I was about to beat him the second game. Come on man...

Edit: I just ran into him again and I must have taunted 20 times each round inbetween knockdowns and distancing from him. At the end of the round he just started pressing buttons I guess in frustration because I started taunting nonstop and I almost had full health to his sliver.

I knew I was in his head the whole second round, beat him easy, let him hit "ready" and didn't give him the run back.

Feels good.

Decided to go back and play a little bit of SFxTekken.

God, that game looks HORRIBLE.

Game is still fun though, if only they hadn't decided to add those stupid gems.

Spuck-uk

Banned
To add to that, his damage potential is relatively small compared to the cast even worth claw off.

This is..very much not true.

You don't use his crush counter to punish, you use st.Hp, it leads to just as much damage in either stance and hits crouching.

He gets 350 from a crush counter with one bar, 498 with super. Hell he can get over 250 from anti airing people. Is only below Zangief and Birdie in terms of normal throw damage and range.

As a character he definitely has some issues, but damage isn't one of them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Gold is so close. Clawing my way up there. Once I pop the trophy I can go back to yoloing wake up flash kicks and dps and trying new characters.

LakeEarth

I imagine they're going to implement changes to Survival...at some point. But given the insanely thin development budget they have, who knows when that'll be.

The only reason I haven't gotten the Extreme survival achievement is because of my deluded hope that they'll make it a bit easier eventually. At least let the v-meter carry over between rounds!

The only reason I haven't gotten the Extreme survival achievement is because of my deluded hope that they'll make it a bit easier eventually. At least let the v-meter carry over between rounds!

I wonder why the CA meter carries over but not the V-gauge. Engine limitation? I mean, It's not like V-gauge carries over to subsequent rounds...

LakeEarth

I wonder why the CA meter carries over but not the V-gauge. Engine limitation? I mean, It's not like V-gauge carries over to subsequent rounds...

It's probably programmed to wipe v-meter at the end of a round, and they don't want to bother make an exception for Survival.

Had to hop away from the game for two months due to life, but I just jumped back in and made the switch from Necalli to Alex. It's been a blast so far, aside from the initial 1500 point drop. Alex sort of feels like a hybrid between Necalli and Laura with his setplay and strong normals. His wonky AA game is a problem though, seeing as my reaction times are pretty bad so doing EX knee on reaction is near impossible. The Chun-Li matchup seems super rough, too, though that might just be my Necalli bias since I felt he was one of the few characters in the game who stacked up well against her.

LakeEarth

Regarding anti-airs, don't forget about Alex's standing jab! It's not Necalli good, but it's pretty good. There's a frame where the hitbox is significantly above his hurtbox.

fresquito

I'm one step away from leaving this game. I've tried everything I could do, from formatting and reinstalling everything, to setting DMZ, changing my router and everything in between. No matter what I do, my games are laggy, I have problems with the servers (I just got disconnected before while logging in) and finding games takes forever. Sometimes games are super fine, one combat everything's okay, then next it's shit. Or it's shit all the way through. BL is worst offender here. I play with a friend and we can barely play a game that is not teleport city. But it's all crazy, because we create a new lobby and we play like 6 combats good and then next is crap.

Any suggestion on what to do? Win10, Europe.

The Hermit

I'm really starting to warm up to Vega. Could be a good secondary and since Sagat isn't here, might as well.

My current main, but be aware that his damage output is very low. I might switch to Guile but he is the most difficult character to play so far.

Claw is a very pokey character and very fast, so you have to force mistakes from the opponent. It feels really good to win with him, every win is earned.

mbpm1

I'm one step away from leaving this game. I've tried everything I could do, from formatting and reinstalling everything, to setting DMZ, changing my router and everything in between. No matter what I do, my games are laggy, I have problems with the servers (I just got disconnected before while logging in) and finding games takes forever. Sometimes games are super fine, one combat everything's okay, then next it's shit. Or it's shit all the way through. BL is worst offender here. I play with a friend and we can barely play a game that is not teleport city. But it's all crazy, because we create a new lobby and we play like 6 combats good and then next is crap.

Any suggestion on what to do? Win10, Europe.
From what I heard with BL, when you start a set, the first match indicates how the set will go.

Is it just me, or has this game been extremely laggy lately? I took a few weeks off because I moved apartments, and now that I'm back, the game has been extremely stuttery. My internet is somewhat fast, so I'd be surprised if the problem was on my end.

Regarding anti-airs, don't forget about Alex's standing jab! It's not Necalli good, but it's pretty good. There's a frame where the hitbox is significantly above his hurtbox.

Oh yeah, for sure. Thank god for Alex's jab, otherwise I'd be the freest player in history. j.lp ain't too bad either. Still, I'd like to get something a little heavier than a jab consistently, if only for the knockdown setups Alex has.

LakeEarth

Oh yeah, for sure. Thank god for Alex's jab, otherwise I'd be the freest player in history. j.lp ain't too bad either. Still, I'd like to get something a little heavier than a jab consistently, if only for the knockdown setups Alex has.

After the jab, you get a cross-under into meaty / command grab mixup.

Knockdown with EX rising knee (or c.hp into EX rising knee) is great though. Gives you enough time to dash and throw out a meaty s.HP, so either way, getting an anti-air with Alex puts you in an advantageous spot.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You're not wrong. I just make so many mistakes in my play Cammy doesn't give me a chance to recover. Fucking up while playing a 900/900 character doesn't allow you much. I'm not blaming the character here, I'm blaming me. I've seen what Cammy can do, I don't think I can do that.

If you've isolated that its your offensive mistakes that get you killed you already know what to address. Pick an optimal block string and her easiest frame trap/hit confirm and work on applying safe pressure. Use her best poke and work on walking into range and making contact with your opponent. Hit or block it doesn't matter. Your goal should be just to learn and get comfortable occupying the space your character is good from and to do so with minimal risk. Lay down the foundation and the you can explore the other stuff later.

HardRojo

Just noticed that while on the CFN menu, the map will zoom in and out if you press R2 or L2.
Edit: Also had an Ultra Gold Chun and Super Gold Karin RQ on me. That would've surely put me at Gold League or really close. I lost twice to a Silver Ryu and I took my L. Thanks Capcom for not doing shit about RQing more than two months after release.

Drahcir

Probably more reactionary. I love Karin but the more I play her versus other players the less I feel like she's my character. I don't really know how to play her vs people though.

Edit: is it bad that while I'm drunk it took me way more tries to finish Karin's 3rd trial than it did to finish her 6th? It is, right?

I can't speak for the difficulty of doing trials while drunk, but I do know playing others online drunk makes you less salty when they perfect you to hell. Well, I am anyway.

I main Karin and I honestly don't feel like I can play any other character like I play her. Her style just fits me. I love pulling off her moves and all, but I am absolutely garbage against online opponents.

Whales

Banned

tbh from when I played you all you need to do is stop using random spirals arrows because its super punishable

ofc you can't always guess right so when you get punished hard from a blocked sanon spike its normal, it happens to every char with a dp too

Mediking

Man, I need to give up on the Cammy dream. I make too many mistakes and play too defensive to play her. Its driving me insane.

Cammy is the ultimate waifu but if you want WINS... if you want PROGRESS... then move on like I did but keep Cammy close to your heart.

Big Brett

Decided to try a new character with Mika. Not really gelling with her. I've also only faced defensive Ryus. No idea what to do.

HardRojo

Man, another RQ but this one really got to me :( You know that feeling when it's a very good match and both of you are trying to adapt to each other's playstyle, then you finally win it with a clutch read and it feels amazing, until they RQ... I mean, I don't get mad about the points at that moment, it just feels bad because it's like they took something away from you :( Well, that's it for me today, sitting at 3740 LP right now, will probably try to hit Gold during the weekend.

Decided to try a new character with Mika. Not really gelling with her. I've also only faced defensive Ryus. No idea what to do.
bf1db0cb.jpg
Just go with the flow.

Xeteh

tbh from when I played you all you need to do is stop using random spirals arrows because its super punishable

ofc you can't always guess right so when you get punished hard from a blocked sanon spike its normal, it happens to every char with a dp too

A lot of those were me dropping punishes. I also need to stop trying to confirm off of on c.mk because I'm not that good.

I really like Karin but I don't see myself moving from one character with 900 HP to one with harder execution and the same health. Cammy's execution isn't difficult or anything but her HP/stun doesn't allow me to make mistakes... of which I make a ton.

Have you played any other street fighter games before? If so who did you mainly play as?

I played SF4 a bit but I was terrible at it. Messed around with Juri, Gouken and Rose. Cammy was the first one I tried there as well but FADC combos were beyond me and I couldn't do much with her.

Big Brett

I played SF4 a bit but I was terrible at it. Messed around with Juri, Gouken and Rose. Cammy was the first one I tried there as well but FADC combos were beyond me and I couldn't do much with her.

We sound like twins haha. Exact same sans Gouken.

ohkay

A lot of those were me dropping punishes. I also need to stop trying to confirm off of on c.mk because I'm not that good.

I really like Karin but I don't see myself moving from one character with 900 HP to one with harder execution and the same health. Cammy's execution isn't difficult or anything but her HP/stun doesn't allow me to make mistakes... of which I make a ton.
As a fellow Cammy/Karin player, I think playing Karin has improved my Cammy. Having an invincible reversal limited by meter has made me think more when I want to dp as Cammy. Also since it seems you have to play more "honest" for Karin to get in (at least for me), it's helped my Cammy without having to rely so much on EX dive kicks or other gimmicks

Whales

Banned

I can't do 1 hit confirms either, your best bet is to just use the safest possible blockstrings that easily allow you to combo if you see a hit ( like, mp(hit),mp, spiral arrow or whatever) because after the 2nd mp you should know you can use your special

anyone up for some matches?

RedAssedApe

Banned

they just need to lower the number of opponents for each and ramp up the difficulty more quickly.

ai is so dumb that the mode is just a slog. i remember old sf4 games having decent ai that would ramp up pretty well depending on the star level you selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom