• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
I had passed on Street Fighter V when it came out due to the lack of content and multiplayer online lobbies. But when I saw Marn's run at NCR, I knew I had to own this game. I bought it the next day, picked Mika, and never looked back.

I had always been a Honda main back in SF4, but Mika feels even more fun to use. Back in that game, I had liked the idea of playing a rushdown, mixup-vortex sort of character, so I tried picking up Makoto. But her execution was too demanding for my jittery hands, and it never really fit. With Mika, a mixup is just a F+MP away. I love it!

I've managed to grind my way into the border between Ultra Bronze and Silver rank recently (I feel like I learn something new from every Mika mirror I play against someone ranked above me), but I still have a lot to learn. There are plenty of small ways I can improve (tighter anti-airs, better V-Trigger use, smarter combos out of rope throw), but I feel like the biggest strategic hurdle I need to deal with is finding new ways to open people up. When I come up against players who don't throw out unsafe moves and defend against my jump-ins, I often find myself at a loss. Charged HK can do a lot for me, but it only takes me so far.

Any other Mikas out there? How do you try to start your offense?

I'd link some matches of mine, but I don't have anything recorded. My FighterID is sonicmj1, if anyone wants to check things out. I just got bodied by a Silver Ryu doing basic normal blockstrings, and it left me really frustrated.
It depends on the character and the playstyle of the other player. Sometimes you just need to bulldog your way in. Against Ryu's who have good fireball timings and absolutely don't let ypu approach from the air, you just need to slowly make your way into Mika's preferred range. Walk and block, slide under fireballs from far away, until you're in a range where you can maybe do a cr.hp to quickly get in and start pressuring with jabs (or go for a sudden throw attempt if you're feeling daring) or a range where you can comfortably punish a fireball with EX peach. Against strong defensive play unless you can make a good read on what your opponent is thinking and get in with a good dropkick, tackle, jump-in, etc, you just want to slowly walk them to the corner and then trap them and get your Mika party started.

It's worth trying to bait out uppercuts with her aerial body slam (down+mp during a forward jump) which cuts her jump arc short. It's not always the safest option, but by letting your opponent know you're capable of that you give them one more thing to worry about. Just don't be predicatable with it. Actually, don't be predictable in general. Always approach in different ways, don't always do the same things after a blocked dropkick or jump-in, don't always go for the same resets etc.

Mediking

Never*

*Never becomes now when Ibuki comes out.

I probably won't drop Cammy, but she'll get considerably less play.

Cammy will also hold a place in my heart but there are better characters than her.

A lot of those were me dropping punishes. I also need to stop trying to confirm off of on c.mk because I'm not that good.

I really like Karin but I don't see myself moving from one character with 900 HP to one with harder execution and the same health. Cammy's execution isn't difficult or anything but her HP/stun doesn't allow me to make mistakes... of which I make a ton.

I played SF4 a bit but I was terrible at it. Messed around with Juri, Gouken and Rose. Cammy was the first one I tried there as well but FADC combos were beyond me and I couldn't do much with her.

Hahah we really are the same person. I used to think it was kinda silly to jump from being a Cammy main to learning Karin because they have the same health but here's the truth that I've learned quite quickly..... Karin has way more offensive options than Cammy. I dunno about you but my Cammy relies on confusing the opponent. But the problem with that is actually really easy to breakdown Cammy. Just freaking block and punish her when Cammy gets frustrated. 2 seconds later... she's dead. But Karin? Man, I'm doing alot more and not hiding. Now I'M DOING THE COMBOS. NOW I'M CONTROLLING WHO GETS HIT FIRST. Cammy just can't do that for me.

qcf x2

Cammy is the ultimate waifu but if you want WINS... if you want PROGRESS... then move on like I did but keep Cammy close to your heart.

I think Cammy is fine for sets. ANY fragile character is at a huge disadvantage in a 1-off imo.

I actually played some ranked today for the first time in over a month. Did not get any RQ for literally the first time ever playing ranked but the people who stole wins took the points and ran. Much less upsetting than RQ and I don't even blame them if they know they got away with murder. I was hoping to run into Ryu and Ken since I didn't do any warmups but didn't get a single shoto to bait/CC/punish, so I had to get my shit together in a hurry. Got outplayed by a Mika in a 3 game set, not used to being on the receiving end of tick throws without having an invincible reversal. I did figure things out but I let myself get timed out with both of us having almost no HP to lose the tie breaker lol.

I played SF4 a bit but I was terrible at it. Messed around with Juri, Gouken and Rose. Cammy was the first one I tried there as well but FADC combos were beyond me and I couldn't do much with her.

You might want to switch to a fireball character for the time being. Seems like you gravitated towards fireball style characters. Of course Juri and Rose play a little differently than your typical shoto though.

bstylee

Neo Member
Anyone know how to get a character past level 50?

I have a character at lvl 50, but the level bar stays full.

I still gain exp, but it doesn't show how much I need for the next level.

Big Brett

Just put up a lobby.

ID: TheBigBrett
PW: 1985

Still working on getting used to the stick

Any advice you Gold players have to pass on let me know! (If you're wiling :p)

Edzi

Just put up a lobby.

ID: TheBigBrett
PW: 1985

Still working on getting used to the stick

Any advice you Gold players have to pass on let me know! (If you're wiling :p)

Best advice I can give you is:

1. Win
2. Don't lose
3. Just keep playing against people who are better than you and learn from your losses AND wins.

qcf x2

Having the best tools doesn't mean it's gonna win you a major. Hasn't tokido been getting 2nd place with RYU though?

Guile is free AF to Mika.

This is just not true at all. If you're losing to Mika, back up and throw sonic booms. Let me know how the Mika handles v skill sonic booms sprinkled in there.

Does anyone know if the 1m FM trophy is for 1m accumulated in total, or for 1m in the bank?

In other words, can I spend my 400k, earn another 600k, and still get the trophy?

DunpealD

Might actually be -4 - I wasn't able to get a dummy Karin to punish with reversal st.mp or cr.mp (5f) after blocking it in training.

You're right it is -4. Prima guide is wrong.

What majors has he won tho?

Not exactly the topic, but still interesting that only 3 Ryus have made it into Top 8 so far and it looks like 2 of them are Tokido.

Who are the most popular Street Fighter 5 tournament characters? We breakdown the most common fighters in Capcom Pro Tour top eight brackets thus far.

What majors has Chun Li won?

The recent KVO in Japan first and second place.

Zerojul

Does anyone know if the 1m FM trophy is for 1m accumulated in total, or for 1m in the bank?

In other words, can I spend my 400k, earn another 600k, and still get the trophy?

Curious about that too. I kinda want get Guile's story outfit...

In other news, Guile mirrors are positively exhausting. And there are a lot of them going on lately...

No one knows because like 3 people actually got it....

I’m being safe and just waiting it out until I hit 1 million, I test out characters and stages on my alt account.

Celcius

°Temp. member

I really want to know this as well. I've currently got over 600k fight money but once they start charging for characters I don't want to have a "limited" roster. I'd rather have the characters than a trophy though, but if I don't go for it now then I probably never will.

El Sloth

Banned
guile hard survival down. biggest upset was a fail at 49 thanks to low health refill. it helps when you've done this before. i almost have the fighter sequence memorized, jeeze.

SephLuis

Played ranked today and most of the time I kept almost in the same LP range I was before.

That is, until I won 2x1 against a Platinum Karin and got almost 300 LP points from it.

Then I fought Ryu and won 2x0 and won another 100 or so.

Today was good.

Xeteh

You might want to switch to a fireball character for the time being. Seems like you gravitated towards fireball style characters. Of course Juri and Rose play a little differently than your typical shoto though.

The Gouken choice wasn't really because he was a shoto, I just liked how all his skills looked like they hit so hard. I've been eyeing Necalli, thinking of giving him a go.

So after today, I found out I really don't have a gameplan beyond good footies. It ties into my horrible execution problems, and unability to do anything on a stick. So I'm going cold from online battles and working on myself so I can get shit out with at least every character. I was doing alright until I stopped practicing with every character.

If I want to get better, I need to advance beyond a few hits here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom