• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Yup, Remote Play was too painful to play Street Fighter V on. I'll just have to bring my PS4 up with my monitor....again.

The biggest thing I would say it knowing the timing of when to punish Vega's rolling attack. Non-ex versions are at least -6 even for the lk version but the you have to attack right after the last hit is blocked.

And I think more so than knowing the safe/unsafe, cause most of his normals are + is knowing the hurtboxes with claw on. You will be surprised how much leeway you are given to whiff punish..

Well it's a lot of work and he is probably the worst off once put in the corner so I am not surprised. Plus the fact he has stances probably scares people away but he isn't as complicated as other stance users like Gen

Hmm okay, I'll have to practice punishing the rolls in training. I know I caught a few of them with LP into scythe.

Some tips against Nash I would say is don't try to press any buttons after c.hp. I counterhit you a couple times after that. His s.hp is negative up close, and you can at least get a jab punish. I'm not sure about Vega, but quite a few characters can easily jab out the ex moonsault after I do the meaty fierce.

Edgeward

Hmm okay, I'll have to practice punishing the rolls in training. I know I caught a few of them with LP into scythe.

Some tips against Nash I would say is don't try to press any buttons after c.hp. I counterhit you a couple times after that. His s.hp is negative up close, and you can at least get a jab punish. I'm not sure about Vega, but quite a few characters can easily jab out the ex moonsault after I do the meaty fierce.

Yeah, it's a bad habit of mine. I am afraid of the throws too much that I hit buttons even when it doesn't make sense. And yeah, the ex moonsault is definitely something that left me guessing that is good info to have. We gotta play again soon.

Astrael

Just shy of ultra bronze tonight, I had two maddening runback losses after a win to a bronze Laura that cost me a lot of points. Really hate that matchup for Karin; I find it hard to be patient and wait for punishes on good Lauras because the cues aren't as obvious (like missed DPs) and being too patient gets you thrown. About the only thing I can consistently punish are her projectiles which some Lauras don't even use except for setups on wakeup.

I find it funny that getting 400 LP bumped me over 30k in ranking position. Guess a lot of people get to super bronze and park there. Debating whether to keep going or just stay casual for the rest of the night to decompress lol

Just came back from Dreamhack. Today was open sessions and tomorrow is when the tournament starts. I won most of my sets today, except against this one Vega from Vegas. He was nice and telling me a lot about the character. And I felt I was doing better but it wasn't good enough to close out games. It seems like it's rough for Guile, Vega's normals and walk speed beat Guile. With the boom you have to watch out for stuff like Vega's ex roll and v-trigger, so you can't be careless when he has resources (in this game it's pretty often since all meters build pretty fast). I think I need to sit on this matchup for a bit. I have late pools tomorrow, and will need to get there at 2pm to play Pokken.

Steroyd

These options in training are freaking awesome, finally learned how to use the guard wake thing to find frametraps, now I have fundamentals. ^_^

Stiiiil need to work on anti airing after all this time playing. :/

FluxWaveZ

All that stuff gets skipped and never seen in tournaments tho

If the purpose of presentation was all about efficiency in tournaments and "what the FGC wants" (which, by the way, is also what Ono said bit them in the ass), then we wouldn't even have character intro scenes.

El Sloth

Banned
Heads up for people still looking for a PS4 stick (or just looking for another stick): https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/729009580743647233

Mad Catz SFV Fightstick TE S+ will be $169.99 at Fry's after promo code starting tomorrow http://bit.ly/1Qhin0h

Ch32WXhVEAATAAd.jpg

MKX's character intros are pretty awesome. I wish SFV had some sort of equivalent. The post-match quotes are the only real diving into character personalities you get in SFIV or SFV. I heard KOFXIV was doing character-specific intros as well, and BB has always had them so it is a real shame that SFV is going to be the odd man out between the newer releases with the exception of Revelator.

On the flipside that means less lines for Laura's VAs, so hey, silver linings in everything.

For rolls, you can always get St.MP xx Scythe as a punish.

OMG I just faced and beat the most annoying, yolo Ken ever named Apache81. Random DPs, runs in low mk into DP, constantly trying to crossup and mashing throw. Dude was nonstop. I was starting to wonder if he was even looking at the screen.

Time to take a break.

cHaotix8

*slams A button*

We can't even get through opponents simply arriving on the scene. Let's just fight already.

What would work in SFV is the super brief stuff like 3S Alex/Hugo beef or Ryu/Ken fist bump

This pls. Brief custom interactions pre fight was one of the things I enjoyed in older Capcom games.

*slams A button*

We can't even get through opponents simply arriving on the scene. Let's just fight already.

What would work in SFV is the super brief stuff like 3S Alex/Hugo beef or Ryu/Ken fist bump
If special matchups would replace the normal intros, I would be down for that. It would probably be even quicker because they are interacting together at the same time instead of one after the other.

FluxWaveZ

This game pisses me off so fucking much. I don't even know why I play this sometimes. Maybe I need to take a long break or just stop playing altogether.

Out of boredom, I'm thinking of role playing ken. Play ultra turtle until v-trigger, then go full-on flowchart until v-trigger runs out

This is the type of thinking which caused SF to fail miserably financially....

Uhh...SF5 isn't "done". Not sure why you're using past tense...especially for a game which was very clearly described, marketed, and designed as a very long term game.

Even with lackluster initial sales, this game isn't going anywhere. Ono and Matt Deezy have confirmed as much in their more recent interviews.

"Marathon, not a sprint." - direct quote from Ono

MKX and SF5 are different games, for different audiences. For this reason, their respective design teams focused their time and resources on different aspects, and the reasoning has become very apparent over time...as recent months have seen SF5 EXPLODE in the eSports scene Capcom so openly targeted.

MKX sold itself as a "video game". Their reward was massive, immediate sales from the casual audience. Great for making money...not so great for expanding the fighting game genre in the long term (interest in the game is no where NEAR as high as last year...even with the recent XL expansion).

SF5 is selling itself as a "competitive fighting game". Casual sales suffered in the short term, but the reward was record breaking tourney numbers, international tourneys and television shows, and major strides towards mainstream "eSports" legitimacy...all of which lead to more exposure for SF5 and the genre overall. Will this translate to more sales? Who knows. Capcom hopes so.

SF5 is using a rather unusual sales approach. Proclaiming it a "financial failure" is about 2-3 years premature (and probably flavored with a little bit of wishful thinking).

This game pisses me off so fucking much. I don't even know why I play this sometimes. Maybe I need to take a long break or just stop playing altogether.
SF4 pissed me off way more than this game. Glad I don't feel SF4 levels of rage anymore.. But fighting games in general probably generate the most salt for online games other than MOBAs. The only positive thing over MOBAs is it's all your fault, and you don't have to worry about raging about shitty teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom