• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donny

Hey guys,

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

My uncle has asked me for help with his computer degree dissertation. His dissertation will based on how AI works on fighting games, preferably street fighter. However, I can’t find anything on the subject by searching on google.

Is Dev Gaf able to help? It would be great if anyone could provide any technical documentation/presentations on the topic.

Skilletor

She's missing her air grab, for one. Part of me thinks they only just finished the mechanic with Guile.

I think she should be able to grab characters who are crouching because she's by far the shortest character in the game. It's also bullshit that characters like Birdie and Gief can't be grabbed while crouched despite being the biggest. Visually, it's fucking ridiculous.

I also feel like if she had 50 more HP she'd be a bit better off in the more unfavorable matchups she has right now.

This is some silly logic.

You should never sacrifice game logic for visuals.

Spent a lot of time with SF Heads over the weekend. General concenous we all have is SFV balance is shit & unless you are playing one of the Top 8 characters you are wasting your time.

Viable Characters:

Ryu, Chun, Ken, Nash, Sim, Nacalli, Cammy, Karin

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Alex, Rashid, Laura, Gief, Claw, Bison, Fang, Birdie

Unknown:

Guile.

Xeteh

Spent a lot of time with SF Heads over the weekend. General concenous we all have is SFV balance is shit & unless you are playing one of the Top 8 characters you are wasting your time.

Viable Characters:

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Unknown:

Guile.

What?

Viable Characters:

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Unknown:

Guile.
You wildlin’ Birdie is tough, and I’ve seen Bison blow very skilled players up.

Hell I would say everyone is Viable. That’s too strong a word when comparing character strengths.

Big Brett

Winning in ranked with my new Karin is giving me a lot of hope that I've actually been learning from my gameplay over the past few days with the new stick.I'm actually shocked I've won two ranked sets in a row 2-0, when with Ryu I constantly teetered between Bronze and Super. Up to 1100... the points don't feel as good as the tangible progress.

mbpm1

Viable Characters:

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Unknown:

Guile.

If that character list is accurate, Guile is also in the non viable tier

I don't believe it yet tho

Producer

Viable Characters:

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Unknown:

Guile.

Weren't you at Wizard World? Not exactly a place that was brimming with SFV talent.

Bizazedo

So almost half the characters are viable and you call that shit balance. You're precious :).

RedEther

Viable Characters:

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Unknown:

Guile.

These three are most definitely viable

Hey guys,

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

My uncle has asked me for help with his computer degree dissertation. His dissertation will based on how AI works on fighting games, preferably street fighter. However, I can’t find anything on the subject by searching on google.

Is Dev Gaf able to help? It would be great if anyone could provide any technical documentation/presentations on the topic.

The AI reads inputs and can react with perfect counters to anything you do
desk made a video showing some shenanigans.

I doubt you'll find any actual documentations because that would require a dev to release the design documents.

Big Brett

Viable Characters:

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Unknown:

Guile.

Your crew of SF Heads:

giphy.gif

Anyone who thinks playing a certain character is "wasting their time" doesn't really understand time management

ohkay

If we're talking things Cammy needs, all I would want is her throw not resetting to the neutral game. Lower the distance she throws the opponent (not her throw range) so she can set up off of a throw wake up

Maybe you just don't want to play it.

I blame Killer Instinct, I just got into that game and it's really fun.

Double dipping is basically pointless but if you get into modding and would actually play more I don't see why not if you've got the cashola.

Modding is a thing, indeed.

It's mostly that I'm at my computer more than I am sitting at my console. I'm a lazy fuck, so if SFV isn't in reach, I'll play something else.

//ARCANUM

Is the official SFV strategy guide worth it? I figured it would be useless, but then I was at Dreamhack this weekend and saw someone in the top 32 pull out the guide and reference it. Which made me think it has actual value. And the hardcover edition is on sale at gamestop right now for $19.99... so, worth it?

Big Brett

It's mostly that I'm at my computer more than I am sitting at my console. I'm a lazy fuck, so if SFV isn't in reach, I'll play something else.

I feel that man. I hooked my PS4 up real close to my computer desk and have it plugged into my monitor since it's actually rated excellent in terms of latency. Much better than playing on my TV.

Is the official SFV strategy guide worth it? I figured it would be useless, but then I was at Dreamhack this weekend and saw someone in the top 32 pull out the guide and reference it. Which made me think it has actual value. And the hardcover edition is on sale at gamestop right now for $19.99... so, worth it?

NO. It will have nice art, BUT you need to get the online Prima edition because they are patching it as more info comes out including balance changes etc. and it's cheaper. It's extremely handy and has a metric fuckload of information. https://www.primagames.com/games/street-fighter-v/guides/street-fighter-v-eguide

Xeteh

I have the digital version of the Prima guide, its pretty awesome. Gives a ton of information about each move/special etc. They also are updating it with the DLC characters.

fresquito

Viable Characters:

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Unknown:

Guile.
http://capcomprotour.com/full-standings/?season=2016&region=eu&lang=

1. Bison
2. Bison
3. Laura

Not bad for not viable characters.

//ARCANUM

I feel that man. I hooked my PS4 up real close to my computer desk and have it plugged into my monitor since it's actually rated excellent in terms of latency. Much better than playing on my TV.

NO. It will have nice art, BUT you need to get the online Prima edition because they are patching it as more info comes out including balance changes etc. and it's cheaper. It's extremely handy and has a metric fuckload of information. https://www.primagames.com/games/street-fighter-v/guides/street-fighter-v-eguide

the digital version comes with the hardcover version though right? So I'd have both if I got the physical book?

mbpm1

Physical book comes with digital copy. Got it and haven't looked at the book since the update, but the eguide I always check as soon as a new character comes up bc it has information beyond just frame data.

Big Brett

I'm such a sucker for physical copies I kind of want to pick one of those up >_> I'd definitely just give the digital code away on here or something since I already have one.

Viable Characters:

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Unknown:

Guile.

Eh??

Mizerman

Viable Characters:

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Unknown:

Guile.

1) Your thoughts about SF's balance is useless to me considering you spent a long time bashing the game.
2) Your "tier list" is even more useless.

Chun, Nash and Vega all have air grabs!

Yup.

For those asking about the digital Prime Guide.

I use the FAT app on android for my frame data. It is a nice alternative if you do not want to spend $$ on a guide. It is pretty handy and best of all FREE.

Sayad

1) Your thoughts about SF's balance is useless to me considering you spent a long time bashing the game.
2) Your "tier list" is even more useless.
As a tier list that's not bad, I'd just put Mika a level higher and maybe Gief and Fang a level lower, the names though, unless by "borderline viable" he means "shows at every Major's top 8" and "not viable" means "not as strong but good enough to win a CPT ranking event".

so ive been playing alex, m.bison and fang... i think its time for me to level up. which top tier should i pick?

nah but seriously, question about guile, st.hp, cr.mp into sonic boom. is there any trick to doing it consistently? haven't really looked up on guile stuff so im not sure how it all works.

so ive been playing alex, m.bison and fang... i think its time for me to level up. which top tier should i pick?

nah but seriously, question about guile, st.hp, cr.mp into sonic boom. is there any trick to doing it consistently? haven't really looked up on guile stuff so im not sure how it all works.

Start holding down-back as soon as you press HP. Double tapping the cr.mp either using the middle finger to pointer technique or pressing it twice quickly helps me with making sure the timing is consistent before cancelling into sonic boom.

Viable Characters:

Boarderline Viable:

Mika

Not Viable:

Unknown:

Guile.

Who are these SF heads you're talking about? General consensus in the community is that SF V is very well balanced for a release version. Just about all your so called not viable characters have made top 8 at a major tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom