• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

cHaotix8

As for Ex launch into Orochi, I never do it. Very rarely if I think it will stun or kill I'll do Tenko > Ex Tenko > Ex Orochi, but I'll pretty much never do raw Orochi to finish because the Oki off of it is basically non-existent and you get much better setups off of Instant Tenko or Vskill followups.

Actually, Orochi finisher gives you the best setup opportunity while also doing the most corner carry, damage and stun. HK sappo afterwards and you get a free meaty st lk on quick rise and you can confirm a backroll with a delayed lk.

fresquito

Actually, Orochi finisher gives you the best setup opportunity while also doing the most corner carry, damage and stun. HK sappo afterwards and you get a free meaty st lk on quick rise and you can confirm a backroll with a delayed lk.
v-skill is the same (for corner carry and setup, with less damage), much easier to perform and gives you v-gauge.

btw, at least we can agree on one thing.

FANG has the worst CC in the game. At least his cr.hk CC cancel into V-Trigger is better than other characters since you follow up with more if it hits, but still.

Literally, unless the opponent is in the corner, the only to get a reliable follow up is to cancel into light dash and then follow up with the shenanigans. Seems like very low reward for a situation which should give more.

Hell, you can combo st.hk into st.hp on counter-hit which is infinitely easier.

Gave up on Gief pure shit tier character, give him back his green hand or remove him from the roster,

They need to bring back his quick lariat. I've been hit full screen after going through projectiles. Should also build meter.

They need to bring back his Diagonal Jump Heavy Punch from SF4 to better deal with fireballs.

Make Standing Jab hit after using his V-Trigger so he can at least have a real reset.

Zissou

FANG has the worst CC in the game. At least his cr.hk CC cancel into V-Trigger is better than other characters since you follow up with more if it hits, but still.

Literally, unless the opponent is in the corner, the only to get a reliable follow up is to cancel into light dash and then follow up with the shenanigans. Seems like very low reward for a situation which should give more.

Hell, you can combo st.hk into st.hp on counter-hit which is infinitely easier.

st.HP crush counter seems good though?

I edited in my location in that post and any players in my vicinity that do more than spam cr.hk, I have contact with. And most of them can't spare the time for constant meetups since we all have jobs or universities,etc.
EDIT: Oh I'd love to do that. Sadly I haven't found any places. I'm in Karachi btw.

I'll try to hang around. Someone asking for tips against FANG is like the lucebuce signal, I will show up.
Oh God no. I'm not some sadist like KBrad.

Try posting up something here and seeing what you get: http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/world

I didn't find anything dedicated, but who knows? You might find a group lingering around that doesn't advertise. Facebook is a decent resource as well - sometimes easier to find groups there than Shoryuken. If you really wanna get desperate, you can straight up start a Facebook group or Meetup or something and see what you get, but that's only if you feel like investing time.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm too adamant about playing offline. There's something about attending locals that makes me incredibly happy and revitalize my love of fighting games. Even going to PAX had me in a good mood, as I found a bunch of dudes that loved to play fighting games and shot the shit with them. That really goes for everything fighting game related that I play - if I stick to online, I just get tired of it. I need that human connection, I guess. But that's just me and how I'm wired.

st.HP crush counter seems good though?
I guess it's more of an inherent problem with the character that he has low damage output but his CC punishes are extremely... underwhelming unless you bring CA into the matter.

And I was also saying that it requires a bit too much effort to capitalize on a st.hp CC since st.hk xx st.hp is infinitely easier and only possible on counter hit.
EDIT: And it's not like some other CCs in the game that you can only capitalize on with V-Trigger or CA since CA won't reach(unless you're in the corner) and V-Trigger still doesn't stop the problem that the pushback from his CC is too long for a character that doesn't have particularly far reaching normals (save for his df.hp)
Try posting up something here and seeing what you get: http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/world

I didn't find anything dedicated, but who knows? You might find a group lingering around that doesn't advertise. Facebook is a decent resource as well - sometimes easier to find groups there than Shoryuken. If you really wanna get desperate, you can straight up start a Facebook group or Meetup or something and see what you get, but that's only if you feel like investing time.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm too adamant about playing offline. There's something about attending locals that makes me incredibly happy and revitalize my love of fighting games. Even going to PAX had me in a good mood, as I found a bunch of dudes that loved to play fighting games and shot the shit with them. That really goes for everything fighting game related that I play - if I stick to online, I just get tired of it. I need that human connection, I guess. But that's just me and how I'm wired.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll certainly keep looking around.

Yeah I can understand the appeal of offline but I've mainly been an online player for a large portion of my life because of the lack of players in my area. Guess I've just gotten used to it.

They need to bring back his quick lariat. I've been hit full screen after going through projectiles. Should also build meter.

They need to bring back his Diagonal Jump Heavy Punch from SF4 to better deal with fireballs.

Make Standing Jab hit after using his V-Trigger so he can at least have a real reset.

Quick lariat would be a huge buff for Gief. Also, give him back his neutral j.MP.

Nope, that would be 'Sim. The only ground CC is HK which is extremely slow and a huge gamble to throw out. His HK slide is a CC that knocks down and is unsafe. His anti-air CC is b+HP and that has a really high angle that is also slow, so you need to predict that your opponent will be jumping.

Zissou

I guess it's more of an inherent problem with the character that he has low damage output but his CC punishes are extremely... underwhelming unless you bring CA into the matter.

And I was also saying that it requires a bit too much effort to capitalize on a st.hp CC since st.hk xx st.hp is infinitely easier and only possible on counter hit.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll certainly keep looking around.

Yeah I can understand the appeal of offline but I've mainly been an online player for a large portion of my life because of the lack of players in my area. Guess I've just gotten used to it.

Maybe it's bc I'm coming from playing mostly Chun (who has pretty terrible CCs for the purposes of SRK punishes- a regular bnb does more damage) but messing around with Fang I was like "Oh CC st.HP, st.HP xx v-trigger, st.HP xx ARMZ! this is great!" haha

Nope, that would be 'Sim. The only ground CC is HK which is extremely slow and a huge gamble to throw out. His HK slide is a CC that knocks down and is unsafe. His anti-air CC is b+HP and that has a really high angle that is also slow, so you need to predict that your opponent will be jumping.
At least one could argue the fact that Dhalsim shouldn't have CCs that can lead to intense punish simply because of the range of his normals and his general ability to keep people at arm's length. I think just the fact that you can hit with a normal from Dhalsim and get half-a-bar of V-Trigger is a serious advantage for him.

Same can't be said for FANG.
Maybe it's bc I'm coming from playing mostly Chun (who has pretty terrible CCs for the purposes of SRK punishes- a regular bnb does more damage) but messing around with Fang I was like "Oh CC st.HP, st.HP xx v-trigger, st.HP xx ARMZ! this is great!" haha

That's only possible if the enemy is in the corner or maybe if you're as close as possible to the enemy when you do it, other you have to do a light dash after the CC to follow up with anything.

EDIT2: And just the fact that a CC gives you V-Trigger is a decent advantage on it's own for a lot of characters. FANG's V-Trigger is seriously underwhelming and only realistically useful for extending combos or cancelling out of an unsafe normal.

Shito

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Fhl5qAX-s

FANG's CC is ok, but you do need to buffer the slide cancel in advance in case the st.HP hits when you are too far away for a second one to hit.
Sim is like "I don't have the right to play with this CC thing"...

I guess my rumblings are more about FANG in general than his CC lol. Dude's damage is seriously underwhelming.

Now that people have figured out the matchup, it feels like a lot more work and a lot more advantage is needed than other characters to get a victory.

Shito

I guess my rumblings are more about FANG in general than his CC lol. Dude's damage is seriously underwhelming.

Now that people have figured out the matchup, it feels like a lot more work and a lot more advantage is needed than other characters to get a victory.
Oh yeah totally, he's full of crappy gimmicks that, once figured out, don't lead to much ambiguity.
My main problem dealing with him is getting used to his weird silhouette and stretched-out hitboxes. ^^

Zissou

Fang might not be great, but I don't think he's a true struggle char (as opposed to say Gief, where I feel like I only lose when I fuck up and/or when the Gief makes a bunch of hard reads and manages to guess right enough times).

Fang might not be great, but I don't think he's a true struggle char (as opposed to say Gief, where I feel like I only lose when I fuck up and/or when the Gief makes a bunch of hard reads and manages to guess right enough times).
Except for like 2 or 3 matchups, Gief is absolute trash. Zangief has always had to deal with the struggle of getting to the opponent but my God, it's just incredibly difficult in this game.

Zissou

Except for like 2 or 3 matchups, Gief is absolute trash. Zangief has always had to deal with the struggle of getting to the opponent but my God, it's just incredibly difficult in this game.

Yeah- Gief needs buffs (but I feel like it'd be really easily to go slightly too far and make him ridiculous if they're not super careful). Every other char feels like they have a good shot at beating anybody in the right player's hands.

What excites you every time when you land it in a match?

-uemfN.gif

Big Brett

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203130298]What excites you every time when you land it in a match?

-uemfN.gif
[/QUOTE]

2x Sappo in the corner into an EX rennsha however it's spelled haha. So satisfying.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203130298]What excites you every time when you land it in a match?

-uemfN.gif
[/QUOTE]When you're dominating a player when suddenly they get a knockdown and start to pressure you on your wakeup but you just do a wakeup CA.

Must be like the most demoralizing thing in the world.

In fact I think I'm just losing interest in FGs.

And games.

And everything.
Hope you're okay :)
Guess the honeymoon phase is starting to end.
Yeah since the Guile patch my matchmaking has been fucked, and with the fact that I was swamped with coursework I didn't find much time to play and now that I'm free-er I can't even find matches it's kind of killed a lot of my hype for it. It's so frustrating sitting in training or on the main menu waiting 10 minutes for a laggy rollback game when I could hop on over to the Overwatch Beta and be in a lag free game within seconds.

stn

I don't think giving Gief more anti-projectile tools is the answer. You're better off giving him something that allows him to stay in once he gets in. The lack of hard knock-downs and the availability of V-reversals means he has to constantly keep getting in.

I don't think giving Gief more anti-projectile tools is the answer. You're better off giving him something that allows him to stay in once he gets in. The lack of hard knock-downs and the availability of V-reversals means he has to constantly keep getting in.
A better lariat alone would do wonders. Or make that V-Skill more useful. Maybe add something like a percentage based damage reduction if you absorb an attack through your V-skill.

Big Brett

I've definitely been avoiding ranked. I think I've played maybe 3 sets in ranked since last week. I am not big on the matchmaking just totally mismatching the LPs. It's a lot more fun building the LP up by fighting people similarly skilled. I go to battle lounges to play people silver and above, not where I'm trying to rank up.

Xeteh

[/QUOTE]

In the same vein, punishing a fireball from nearly full screen with Cammy's super.

Shito

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203130298]What excites you every time when you land it in a match?[/QUOTE]
2QdgJMI.gif

Because that means I've been more clever than my opponent.
Never gets old. <3

Has anybody here unlocked color 15? Or is level 50 just a legend?

Some people have. I believe FluxWave is level 58 or something with Mika. If you wanna know what the colors look like, check here.

EDIT: Btw, why couldn't I quote you without removing the quotation marks around your name?

Crush counters are one of the most satisfying things in any fighter ever.
I KNOW RIGHT!?

The insane timestop, the sound, the particle effects, it's all so lovely.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203134822]Has anybody here unlocked color 15? Or is level 50 just a legend?[/QUOTE]

'bout to set a weight down on my LK button and turn on turbo tbh

Steroyd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203130298]What excites you every time when you land it in a match?[/QUOTE]

Same thing as your gif.

Bypassing those fucking fireballs with Cammy's CA, also Cammy's CA.

Also equal first place is bypassing someone's wakeup with Cammy's V-Skill it's absolutely delicious if they wake up Critical Art and I'm not there.

qcf x2

-uemfN.gif
[/QUOTE]

That but on reaction to a dash. "LEVAR!"
Reading Rainbow
. Also, a point blank CC with full meter.

qcf x2

Same thing as your gif.

Bypassing those fucking fireballs with Cammy's CA, also Cammy's CA.

Also equal first place is bypassing someone's wakeup with Cammy's V-Skill it's absolutely delicious if they wake up Critical Art and I'm not there.

You know what hurts though? Baiting a v reversal with Cammy and then canceling into super, only for the super to get hit by the active frames of the v-reversal and then remembering that this happens every time by design. Her super is awesome but it gets stuffed by a surprising number of things.

When I hit someone with Laura's EX command grab twice in a row.

myco666

Just fought a platinum Nash. That didn't go well at all. Been playing like crap all day though so that was to be expected.

When you're dominating a player when suddenly they get a knockdown and start to pressure you on your wakeup but you just do a wakeup CA.

Must be like the most demoralizing thing in the world.

I hate wakeup CA so much. Especially when I know its coming and still get hit by it.

Steroyd

You know what hurts though? Baiting a v reversal with Cammy and then canceling into super, only for the super to get hit by the active frames of the v-reversal and then remembering that this happens every time by design. Her super is awesome but it gets stuffed by a surprising number of things.

Yeah I remember when I was experimenting with using her CA as an anti air and she got stuffed by Zangiefs jumping dive and max range is useless because I got stuffed by Kens SRK once, and I can only imagine it can get undone by many more stuff.

People just keep pressing buttons. I don't get this obsession with pressing buttons.dive move,

I only press buttons if I'm trying to do something.

The amount of times I got away with a meaty on someone's wake up consecutively in one match is ridiculous, even moreso when the opponent has someone with a DP.

I hate wakeup CA so much. Especially when I know its coming and still get hit by it.
Funniest moment regarding wakeup CA for me happened when I was having a really close match with a Ryu. I had already done the wake up CA in the last match but in this second match, it was literally a whoever gets the next hit wins type of situation. He dashed up and then starting blocking, expecting the CA.

Only problem was that the intial hit chipped him out and I won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom