• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

//ARCANUM

As far as I know, I've never owned a stick myself, that swapping buttons out isn't very complicated or expensive. Someone else can probably give you a better answer, though.

Yeah it usually isn't from what I've read, but unfortunately the buttons are soldered on for the Fightstick alpha. :(

I haven't played SF5 for a few months and now trying to comeback and I can't find a match at all. :(

is there currently problem with the match making or does the community just died out? I'm in Indonesia for the record, I used to get matches with Singapore or Thailand player.

I haven't played SF5 for a few months and now trying to comeback and I can't find a match at all. :(

is there currently problem with the match making or does the community just died out? I'm in Indonesia for the record, I used to get matches with Singapore or Thailand player.
Bit of both.

just a few days ago, I started playing overwatch beta on PC, and that match making is great, I usually get a match within 10 seconds of searching. I wish SF V can be like that. even when I used to play near launch date, I usually have to wait up to a minute to get matches in SF V. sometimes it felt like the wait times are longer than the time spent playing the match. maybe I'll wait until that story mode update, hopefully that will generate some buzz and more people start playing it again.

fresquito

It's not that people don't play, but that the system sucks. Ultra had you waiting ten seconds late in its life cycle, on PC. I have waited more than a minute to fight someone 8k over me in sfv.

Siaynoqq

Somehow managed to beat two different platinum players (9200 and 9900) back to back. More miraculously, neither rage quit (although first one wouldn't run it back).

Came across the same Sim player back to back for two 2/3 sets in casual, won both and he rage quit at the end of the second.

I think what might have ticked him off towards the end was that I accidentally started punishing his wake up teleport with a full jump in combo.

He kept doing that dang thing on wake up and I would often miss him but then I tried mashing light on his wake up with Mika, sometimes they would stop him and at other times he would teleport away.

What I started doing in the last match is doing a jab or two and if he teleported out of the way successfully then I would immediately just jump forward, this seemed to let me land a full jump in combo on him every time, guess Sim has a lot of recovery after a regular teleport?

In the alternative, doing a Flying Peach after the lights also seemed to work as a punish for the teleport.
Just to clarify: assuming you timed your meaties with the jabs or what have you correctly and the Dhalsim still avoided them, then odds are he succeeded in pulling off a reversal teleport on wake-up. Those are strike invincible only, so what that translates into is the ability to snatch him out of it with a grab instead with the right timing, be it a normal or a command throw. Not to say that's your only option dealing with those if the Dhalsim is being awfully transparent however; you were right to notice that he has insanely long recovery frames with a grounded teleport, so it's entirely possible for you (and virtually everyone in V's cast) to chase him down or punish it on reaction if you do nothing and bait it out. In Mika's case, depending on the distance of course, she can just continue walking forward a bit and for example perform EX Peach (or her armor move if I got the name wrong) well before Dhalsim can even retaliate.

Another danger (for Dhalsim) to note about grabs on wake-up against the likes of Mika: the usual counter-measures that other characters can utilize against a command throw are not particularly effective for him either. Sure he can backdash, but it only covers a very small distance and it too has a relatively long recovery animation to it, so he has to be damn sure a grab is going to happen. Otherwise he'll eat a Crush Counter or a damaging combo if the other player accurately read the situation. Secondly, neutral jumping is also not as threatening since his arc is so floaty, meaning that if the enemy anticipates it correctly, his options from that position are very limited on top of the high likelihood he might not descend quick enough for a full combo punish. He can resort to an aerial teleport if the opposing player leaps after him, but he'll still be very vulnerable from there against most characters.

Wingless Airplane works against instant-air teleports too, but it's much safer to simply go for fast normals (which leads to a 50/50 mix-up) if he's being gungho about it.

Made my next match-up basics video- this one going over fighting Dhalsim. Crab Milk Mickey's posts were super helpful when planning out the video, so many thanks to him if he's around.
Late response, but I wanted to chime in that this is another well-made video.

I got the capcom humble bundle and I have a few I don't need

Strider (don't like)
Bionic Commando: Rearmed (beat it)
Resident Evil 4 (have it)

If any regulars on here want it, quote this with the game you want.
Resident Evil 4 still up for grabs?

myco666

I really don't get why people don't go for full ft2 in Casuals if they lose. Just lost first match to a Karin player and she was happy to give a second match but when I won that 2-0 she just left. I understand that in Ranked when there are points on the line but you got nothing to lose if you give one more match in Casuals.

mbpm1

I really don't get why people don't go for full ft2 in Casuals if they lose. Just lost first match to a Karin player and she was happy to give a second match but when I won that 2-0 she just left. I understand that in Ranked when there are points on the line put you got nothing to lose if you give one more match in Casuals.

Habit maybe

or pure salt

LakeEarth

i do get hit by that birdie swimming move a lot lol...im going to pretend its input lag and not slow reflexes :)

I do believe the EX one is too fast to react to online, even with a great connection. I usually end up trying to bait it, and neutral jump in anticipation of it.

qcf x2

Re: anti-airs, HP elbow is good when you have a solid read. It's got a good hurt box so can catch most air normals no problem. You also have to be pretty late with it to trade.

Use st.mp when they're almost right over you. It's good for stuffing cross-ups and you can cancel it into VS. Forward VS after st.mp can make for a really nasty cross-under.

St.mk looks stubby, but is actually a really good normal both in anti-air and footsies. I get surprised how much it catches people jumping in from mid-long range.

I can't really give any specific Ryu advice. That st.mp of his sure is a party-pooper...
You have EX elbow for those who like to throw out normals and dance around in general, but it's very unsafe on block.

Seems like you definitely need to switch gears for Ryus who know how to keep Laura out. One thing you can try is stay at their zoning range while playing with different fireball strengths/holds and see how they react. Some get tired and start jumping in, some don't, in which case you can EX elbow them and start your mixups.

Thanks, that was just what I was hoping for. I knew most of that but just wanted to confirm that I was doing the right things.The Ryu matchup is so hard for me, but I watched some sets of Daigo vs a Laura player and said player got beat by the exact same stuff I usually do, so now I know it's not just me. One thing I do need to incorporate is that close range AA st MP. I usually just block at that distance.

Feels crazy to be able to 2-0 somebody easily with multiple characters but then switch to Laura and have it flipped on me.#matchups

BadWolf

Just to clarify: assuming you timed your meaties with the jabs or what have you correctly and the Dhalsim still avoided them, then odds are he succeeded in pulling off a reversal teleport on wake-up. Those are strike invincible only, so what that translates into is the ability to snatch him out of it with a grab instead with the right timing, be it a normal or a command throw. Not to say that's your only option dealing with those if the Dhalsim is being awfully transparent however; you were right to notice that he has insanely long recovery frames with a grounded teleport, so it's entirely possible for you (and virtually everyone in V's cast) to chase him down or punish it on reaction if you do nothing and bait it out. In Mika's case, depending on the distance of course, she can just continue walking forward a bit and for example perform EX Peach (or her armor move if I got the name wrong) well before Dhalsim can even retaliate.

Another danger (for Dhalsim) to note about grabs on wake-up against the likes of Mika: the usual counter-measures that other characters can utilize against a command throw are not particularly effective for him either. Sure he can backdash, but it only covers a very small distance and it too has a relatively long recovery animation to it, so he has to be damn sure a grab is going to happen. Otherwise he'll eat a Crush Counter or a damaging combo if the other player accurately read the situation. Secondly, neutral jumping is also not as threatening since his arc is so floaty, meaning that if the enemy anticipates it correctly, his options from that position are very limited on top of the high likelihood he might not descend quick enough for a full combo punish. He can resort to an aerial teleport if the opposing player leaps after him, but he'll still be very vulnerable from there against most characters.

Wingless Airplane works against instant-air teleports too, but it's much safer to simply go for fast normals (which leads to a 50/50 mix-up) if he's being gungho about it.

Thanks for the clarification and tips, much appreciated :)

Mediking

I really don't get why people don't go for full ft2 in Casuals if they lose. Just lost first match to a Karin player and she was happy to give a second match but when I won that 2-0 she just left. I understand that in Ranked when there are points on the line but you got nothing to lose if you give one more match in Casuals.

Maybe that player remembered they had to do something so they left. Not everybody is salty. Lol

Guys, did you know SF5 has a themesong like SF4 had Indestructible?

Yup, it's this one. Kinda weird that it's been 3 months since the game's release and it hasn't actually been added to the game. (Sarcasm end)

Probably gonna be featured in the "Boss Fight" in the story mode is my guess.

Swarna

USF4 PC had a fraction of SF5's PC concurrent numbers (even bigger disparity when you consider cross-play) and the matchmaking in that was lightning quick. I'd literally turn on fight request on and every time I returned to training mode I wouldn't even get to finish a single combo before I got a match hit.

The online is just fucked.

Zerojul

I like all 4 upcoming 1st season characters so I don't really mind who we get next, but a lady would be a nice change of pace.

Menitta

I'm pretty sure it's Boxer. He was next on the silhouette list IIRC.

One thing we know for sure is that his face will look great.

I'm so butthurt Boxer is in and not Dudley. His V skill could be the duck!

I'm pretty sure it's Boxer. He was next on the silhouette list IIRC.

One thing we know for sure is that his face will look great.

I'm so butthurt Boxer is in and not Dudley. His V skill could be the duck!
The cast is most definitely going to grow a lot so Dudley might still make it in.

Zerojul

I like what they did with the old guard so far, I have no doubt they will come with interesting stuff for Boxer as well.
I hope PRRog will main him, it was a blast to see him play in SFIV. In fact I'm more excited to see him play him than to try him out myself tbqh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom