• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only imagine Capcom SFV team running around like there's a fire at the end of each month as they try to stick to their deadline.

c4jt321.png

Skilletor

What? I thought he was broken and the next major was going to be a clusterfuck because BOOM LOOPS!

But that doesn't mean Guile sucks, just means he doesn't like playing him in this game. He's "weaker than half the cast," which is, by definition, midtier, right? lol.

What? I thought he was broken and the next major was going to be a clusterfuck because BOOM LOOPS!

But that doesn't mean Guile sucks, just means he doesn't like playing him in this game.

Most people who used to use him calling him ass tier. I think a guile without good normals is a nerf version of that character. Which is what SFV guile is. the nerfing of cmk really crippled the character. On the other hand though guile can win most fireball wars imo. Too bad this game gives you way to many options around fireballs. If you lock yourself in a fireball battle with guile that's your fault...

Skilletor

Most people who used to use him calling him ass tier. I think a guile without good normals is a nerf version of that character. Which is what SFV guile is. the nerfing of cmk really crippled the character. On the other hand though guile can win most fireball wars imo. Too bad this game gives you way to many options around fireballs. If you lock yourself in a fireball battle with guile that's your fault...

Yeah, c.mk needs just about a bit more reach.

I dunno...I'm not one to jump to tier placements. I'll wait a majors to see how it pans out.

Edzi

No offense, but you're one of the most hyperbolic posters in this thread, so I doubt anyone is going to take this seriously.

I'm not really a Guile player, but he seems okay at the moment, just different than his previous iterations (which is what people seem to be having trouble with). People need to give it time. Ken used to be considered garbage tier until recently, and one week into Guile's release he was being called OP.

No offense, but you're one of the most hyperbolic posters in this thread, so I doubt anyone is going to take this seriously.

I'm not really a Guile player, but he seems okay at the moment, just different than his previous iterations (which is what people seem to be having trouble with). People need to give it time. Ken used to be considered garbage tier until recently, and one week into Guile's release he was being called OP.

These aren't just my idea goto SRK forums or ask any top player.

Skilletor

Yeah. He has longer recovery on booms, but feels like he has faster charge? You'd have to change one or the other, and it seems like they want to make him a zoner, so the faster charge makes sense.

Even up close, he's got good data on block, all booms +1, ex boom is +3 or 4. His jab is nuts with the reach. His buttons up close offer a lot of frame traps. I DO agree that c.mk needs like...half a boot's worth extension for the hitbox, though.

Not every character is going to be top tier. Being midtier isn't a bad thing. In a roster that is mostly "mid tier," that means he's a pretty strong character with a few matchups that might be a bit/quite a bit harder.

Chun matchup right now is really awful for me because that c.mp goes under booms. Have to play super cautious. Feels like the worst matchup for him in my experience.

Guile can eat a dick. He is one of the biggest reasons why I deleted SFV from my desktop. What an utterly frustrating character to fight. Frankly, both he and Alex have turned out kind of underwhelming.

When you can't hold that L.

Edit: The issue is people keep calling characters weak when they need to cook.

PJSalt...
No duh
Is this the first time you've fought that character in any SF game?
Nope, but I didn't play SF2 or SF4 that much. I'm shit at parries, so Remy is even worse in Third Strike, but I actually have some fun dealing with him as Alex. Fighting Guile is not fun in SFV. I can say the same about Ken, Ryu and Nash (to a lesser extent because he is kinda cool). Suckers are sleeping on Chun, but I'm not complaining.
When you can't hold that L.
Yeah, I gotta do some more barbell curls and get my numbers up, so I can hold that upper case L.

JayEH

What are the chances they added Akuma after the maintenance?

On the subject of guile (and Alex and all future dlc characters), of course they will seem bad at first. People are too quick to judge characters off limited time we've had. Remember when Ken was considered low tier during the betas? We've had access to a lot of the cast at this point for almost a year now. It will take a bit before people fully explore the dlc characters and Fang really.

vulva

Yeah. He has longer recovery on booms, but feels like he has faster charge? You'd have to change one or the other, and it seems like they want to make him a zoner, so the faster charge makes sense.

Even up close, he's got good data on block, all booms +1, ex boom is +3 or 4. His jab is nuts with the reach. His buttons up close offer a lot of frame traps. I DO agree that c.mk needs like...half a boot's worth extension for the hitbox, though.

Not every character is going to be top tier. Being midtier isn't a bad thing. In a roster that is mostly "mid tier," that means he's a pretty strong character with a few matchups that might be a bit/quite a bit harder.

Chun matchup right now is really awful for me because that c.mp goes under booms. Have to play super cautious. Feels like the worst matchup for him in my experience.

also chun can do cool things like vskill, headstomp and it'll beat out most normal somersaults because of its wack hitbox

SephLuis

Yesterday I played Guile with a really solid defense. It's infuriating.

We can use c.mp to go under booms but that has to be a prediction rather than a reaction to the boom. V-skill or IA legs can be used, but they are slow and make it easy for Guile to punish with a flash kick.

Pokes Chun wins, but Guile has enough to keep distance and, in this case, it greatly favors him. I don't think Chun would be his worst MU at least.

Seeing Iron Galaxy teasing a character and showing gameplay footage of Gargos just baffles me how bad of a job Capcom is doing.

Like I said last week, for a character who's mostly focus on being defensive, he has shit fireball recovery and a Flash Kick can be crush countered despite not being invincible. Nash is just an overall better character.

God I hope Juri doesn't end up worse than USF4 iteration nerfing her defense.

kirblar

Maybe they are worried about making the game more boring than it already is?
Strong defensive characters cause people to stop playing (see: whining), and when you have an arcade model, losing the re-buys is a problem. (Here, there's the "need to keep them buying new characters" problem.)

Zissou

Strong defensive characters cause people to stop playing (see: whining), and when you have an arcade model, losing the re-buys is a problem. (Here, there's the "need to keep them buying new characters" problem.)

You kinda need to buy every character if you're even quasi-serious about learning the game though, since you need to lab out the match-ups.

Does Ryu not qualify as a strong defensive character? Ryu is a better wall than Guile and I hate him too.

qcf x2

I think I've mentioned this before, but I don't expect any of the DLC characters to seem like they're quite on par with the starting cast (Fang aside) right out of the gate. To clarify, I mean they'd be in the lowest tier that the regular characters are in, not worse. I've had the feeling from the start that Capcom would release them playable and buff them all up when they roll out that end of year balance update. I can't remember all of my reasoning but a part of it is making sure you don't release a character that dominates a tournament after being out for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom