• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I finally did the port forwarding thing. Doesn't seem to be helping though.

Anyone care to give me any advice? I'm so fucking bad at this game that I don't even know where to start: a recent asskicking.

One thing of note is that you kept moving away from him a lot, basically allowing him to restart his rhythm; these are 2 rushdown characters but he wasn't respecting you at all, probably because of the rank difference.

God damn, the Alex vs birdie matchup is so fucking weird lol.

"I'm gonna zone you out with my long ass normals"
"I'm gonna zone you out with my long ass normals"

"I'm gonna command grab you"
"I'm gonna command grab you"

"I'm like an impossible freight train that never stops"
"I'm like an impossible freight train that never stops"

"Oh no, I've fallen and I have no real wakeup option or 3-frame normal"
"Oh no, I've fallen and I have no real wakeup option (except EX-Bullhorn, technically) or 3-frame normal"

"I'm big"
"I'm big"

Alex's offense is a lot better than Birdie's though, and can punish almost from full screen a lot of birdie shenanigans.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I came thisclose to beating a Platinum level Zangief with my Alex last night. It was the final round, we were both down to slivers of health. I baited his CA, neutral jumped, and....dropped my punish combo. Disgusting.

I hung my head down, put my hands to head. So close.

I came thisclose to beating a Platinum level Zangief with my Alex last night. It was the final round, we were both down to slivers of health. I baited his CA, neutral jumped, and....dropped my punish combo. Disgusting.

I hung my head down, put my hands to head. So close.
Jump-in combos can be surprisingly easy to mess up in tense situations. Just know that you won "in spirit" even if the LP didn't agree with you.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jump-in combos can be surprisingly easy to mess up in tense situations. Just know that you won "in spirit" even if the LP didn't agree with you.

Moral victories! I have more of those than actual victories. Sigh. It's a beautiful day out but hopefully I can get on later. I have been playing much more lately and have seen an improvement. Want to keep that momentum. I have settled on Guile and Alex for now.

mitchlol

GAF I need a suggestion on which character to play next. I started SFV playing Birdie which was great to learn mechanics and easy combos. I switched to Zangief and initially was struggling heaps until I switched over to using the PS4 controller. Now I love Gief can manage insta SPDs and have cracked 3000lp with him. I'm ready to try another character but I don't know who I should go with. I have no talent with Ryu/Ken because I find execution of their combos difficult. I will likely be using stick as controller with anyone but Gief I find hard. I'm leaning towards Alex but worried that charge will be hard to adjust to.

Scotia

Banned
Cody

This time, we have the protagonist of Final Fight, a man who has screwed up the criminal organization Mad Gear with the sole aid of his fists (and his knives, and his pipes, and his katanas)

cody_01.jpg

Name: Cody
Height: 185cm
Weight: 80kg
Blood Type: O
Birthday: April 18
Home Country: USA
Favorite things: Provoking brawls
Dislikes: Being lectured

Once the hero of Metro City, he didn't fit in a peaceful environment; so he started picking fights until he was thrown in prison.
Excels in the use of knives.
Has a brother named Kyle.

so weird that they learned from the alex mistakes last month and released infos early and had some press and a trailer and now we're back to square one with no info at all until the last possible moment.

People have been whining about them not releasing their info at live events "because that would be more hype than just uploading it on youtube".

Now, they're actually ARE saving their big reveal for a live event, and people are complaining about that too?

It's not like we should be shocked the character is coming at the end of the month. The last two did, too.

People have been whining about them not releasing their info at live events "because that would be more hype than just uploading it on youtube".

Now, they're actually ARE saving their reveal for a live event, and people are complaining about that too?
I think it's more that they could've announced it at an event like Stunfest, which is a premier event and also the fact that they have been radio silent for like 25-26 days until they tweeted out that "wait for combo breaker guys" tweet which is an announcement of an announcement.

I don't think anyone's surprised with them releasing it at the end of the month, it's that they learned from the Alex debacle, and gave us news in the middle of the month for Guile. This time, literally 0 information and there's just 3 days remaining for May.

jdavid459

I don't think I understand what the difference is between difference cross up combos.

I'm playing Ryu (silver) and spam jumping MK -> st. MP -> st. MP -> st. HP -> st. HK a lot

However I see a lot of cross ups on streams where they prefer to some light jab combos...or go MP into a tatsu. However when I am in training mode it seems like the combo I'm doing gives you most dmg and stun.

Why bother with other combos then? I realize tatsu will throw you're opponent furthur into the corner but I guess I'm just not at the level where I feel that helps me more than the extra dmg/stun.

Thoughts?

I don't think I understand what the difference is between difference cross up combos.

I'm playing Ryu (silver) and spam jumping MK -> st. MP -> st. MP -> st. HP -> st. HK a lot

However I see a lot of cross ups on streams where they prefer to some light jab combos...or go MP into a tatsu. However when I am in training mode it seems like the combo I'm doing gives you most dmg and stun.

Why bother with other combos then? I realize tatsu will throw you're opponent furthur into the corner but I guess I'm just not at the level where I feel that helps me more than the extra dmg/stun.

Thoughts?
ryu's jumping LK is insanely broken in regards to hurtbox. Also it's easier to do a tick throw with a light attacks as compared to medium or heavy.

Also I believe that target combo doesn't hit fully if the enemy is crouching. I think so at least.

And that tatsu is done with the intention of getting a knockdown that you can easily follow up on as well as carrying the opponent to the corner.

Producer

Thoughts?

They do the jab combos because they started with jumping LK. The hit stun is not big enough where they can combo a medium attack in the ground, so they go with the faster jabs. As for tatsu finisher, it gives better frame advantage and positioning on opponents wakeup, opposed to ending with srk or the target combo.

leroidys

There are 3 things you should focus on and learn to master.

Agree with pretty much Edgeward said but I'm also going to say this. After every match, just take a deep breath. Regardless of whether you won or lost.

Go to training mode, learn and practice ALL of Cammy's special moves, including EX variants. Figure out what the difference is between light/medium/heavy/EX. You did like a million sweeps which I can only assume was execution error (though you had a wild success rate with said sweeps).

Crouching Hk, is a move you should never use, hell I beat myself up when I use it because my brain goes into stupid mode during fights, back medium punch should be your favourite anti air option it snipes people in the air before they can get their special move out like Ken's air tatsu for example, use standing Hk if they jump in at you from a distance.

One thing of note is that you kept moving away from him a lot, basically allowing him to restart his rhythm; these are 2 rushdown characters but he wasn't respecting you at all, probably because of the rank difference.

Thanks for the tips, these are really helpful. I lose so badly online it's really hard for me to actually learn from it. And then in survival mode, the first 25 matches are totally free so it's a horrible way to practice, and just teaches me those terrible habits like cr hk on block. Really wish there was a reasonable arcade mode in this game. I was able to get OK at SF3 that way.

I guess the best thing is just to practice against a CPU in training as suggested. Is there anything else absolutely fundamental I'm missing? I think I have a good understanding of what I don't know (i.e., learn every moves frames and hurtbox, learn some actual combos, get better at execution), but if there are just fundamentals besides "learn the whole game better" that I can focus on to start, that will speed things up a lot for me.

jdavid459

ryu's jumping LK is insanely broken in regards to hurtbox. Also it's easier to do a tick throw with a light attacks as compared to medium or heavy.

Also I believe that target combo doesn't hit fully if the enemy is crouching. I think so at least.

And that tatsu is done with the intention of getting a knockdown that you can easily follow up on as well as carrying the opponent to the corner.

They do the jab combos because they started with jumping LK. The hit stun is not big enough where they can combo a medium attack in the ground, so they go with the faster jabs. As for tatsu finisher, it gives better frame advantage and positioning on opponents wakeup, opposed to ending with srk or the target combo.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure I get the frame advantage piece. If I end with a hard kick or tatsu ...they are essentially both knockdowns right? The tatsu'd opponent will be farthur out and allow better positioning perhaps but how am I at a frame advantage?

Also the LK comes out a bit quicker than MK on cross up...is that the main reason its used? Essentially MKs can be defended against easier?

Apologize if these are dumb questions haha

Thanks guys. I'm not sure I get the frame advantage piece. If I end with a hard kick or tatsu ...they are essentially both knockdowns right? The tatsu'd opponent will be farthur out and allow better positioning perhaps but how am I at a frame advantage?

Also the LK comes out a bit quicker than MK on cross up...is that the main reason its used? Essentially MKs can be defended against easier?

Apologize if these are dumb questions haha
Never apologize for asking questions, that's simply how one gets better :)

It has do with the recovery and movement of the moves. If you end with a hard kick and the enemy quick rises then you have to move forward, either dash or regular walking, which might not leave you in the best position to throw out a move right as the enemy is waking up. Where as with the tatsu, you're ALWAYS in a spot where you can time a move right when the enemy is waking up because you're always next to them on a successful tatsu.

Another benefit is the fact that you move your opponent more towards the corner, which is always where you want your enemy to be. Hell, R.Mika's whole gameplan usually relies on getting you to the corner and going ham, and every character benefits from the enemy being in a corner.

In regards to the jump.lk, the move comes out quicker and has smaller hitstun so sometimes it might not be a true blockstring if you do it early and then follow up with stuff on the ground. j.mk is much easier to take advantage of but j.lk is much more difficult to anti air.

e.g, as a FANG player, my primary anti-air is cr.hp. It hits directly above me. If Ryu tried to cross me up with a j.mk, 9/10 I'm gonna successfully anti air it with cr.hp.

But the problem (or the advantage?) with j.lk is that the animation and the actual hit and hurtboxes are kinda weird. Even though it might look like my attack should win out against it, j.lk still wins. It's kinda cheap and tbh, it's most likely a mistake that didn't get fixed. But right now, it's the cheap stuff that wins games so Ryu players do j.lk because an AA attempt usually means it won't work and the j.lk will hit, which leads to confirmed damage.

EDIT: a combo started from j.lk will always do less damage but it's damage that might not have even happened if the enemy successfully anti-air'd your j.mk so it's always a better trade.
TLDR;Tatsu moves you closer to the enemy and j.lk is broken as fuck so everybody abuses it.

HiResDes

So glad to have caught up on Stunfest, I learned so fucking much from watching the high level Cammy's on on there especially got help with the Chun matchup that's always given me problems.

jdavid459

Never apologize for asking questions, that's simply how one gets better :)

It has do with the recovery and movement of the moves. If you end with a hard kick and the enemy quick rises then you have to move forward, either dash or regular walking, which might not leave you in the best position to throw out a move right as the enemy is waking up. Where as with the tatsu, you're ALWAYS in a spot where you can time a move right when the enemy is waking up because you're always next to them on a successful tatsu.

Another benefit is the fact that you move your opponent more towards the corner, which is always where you want your enemy to be. Hell, R.Mika's whole gameplan usually relies on getting you to the corner and going ham, and every character benefits from the enemy being in a corner.

In regards to the jump.lk, the move comes out quicker and has smaller hitstun so sometimes it might not be a true blockstring if you do it early and then follow up with stuff on the ground. j.mk is much easier to take advantage of but j.lk is much more difficult to anti air.

e.g, as a FANG player, my primary anti-air is cr.hp. It hits directly above me. If Ryu tried to cross me up with a j.mk, 9/10 I'm gonna successfully anti air it with cr.hp.

But the problem (or the advantage?) with j.lk is that the animation and the actual hit and hurtboxes are kinda weird. Even though it might look like my attack should win out against it, j.lk still wins. It's kinda cheap and tbh, it's most likely a mistake that didn't get fixed. But right now, it's the cheap stuff that wins games so Ryu players do j.lk because an AA attempt usually means it won't work and the j.lk will hit, which leads to confirmed damage.

EDIT: a combo started from j.lk will always do less damage but it's damage that might not have even happened if the enemy successfully anti-air'd your j.mk so it's always a better trade.
TLDR;Tatsu moves you closer to the enemy and j.lk is broken as fuck so everybody abuses it.

That makes sense - really appreciate the insight. I'm going to try and work in the lk crossups a bit more now!

This was a fun read. Probably fake. It's a supposed leak. http://i.imgur.com/q21MJyB.png?1
The stuff written here does make a lot of sense but it can still just as easily be fake so I'm not gonna put too much faith in it.

That makes sense - really appreciate the insight. I'm going to try and work in the lk crossups a bit more now!
Just remember to never hesitate if you have any questions. The one good thing about the FGC is that we're always willing to teach people how to get better.

Big Brett

Screams fake to me. No way they add a free hidden character.

You would think, but "special announcement" is interesting. You're right in doubting Capcom, but we knew there would be a character in may, that's not special. I dunno. It'll be cool if true.

Scotia

Banned
You would think, but "special announcement" is interesting. You're right in doubting Capcom, but we knew there would be a character in may, that's not special. I dunno. It'll be cool if true.

It'd be great if true, I just highly doubt it.

I also doubt Decapre as DLC so soon unless they massively change her to be less of a Cammy clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom