• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcf x2

I would be willing to meet in the middle. Urien with a mullet. Guy is actually Japanese but lives in metro city.

I'm down for mullet Urien. It's a hairdo that's been absent in SF for far too long, if you ask me.

CFN tonight was ass. Every single match I played was laggy.

Csr

This was a fun read. Probably fake. It's a supposed leak. http://i.imgur.com/q21MJyB.png?1

Yeah probably fake but weird that he chose to include Decapre for season 2?
It is not impossible but after the reception in sfiv and how much sfv needs more players i think it is very unlikely. I think sagat would a lot more likely to be included in season 2 (obviously akuma is even more likely but the supposed leak has him as a free character).

LTG got banned from Twitch llmmmaaaaooooooo 🎊🎉🎈🎁🎀🎌🎐🎊🎁🏮🍾🍺🍻

Yeah probably fake but weird that he chose to include Decapre for season 2?
It is not impossible but after the reception in sfiv and how much sfv needs more players i think it is very unlikely. I think sagat would a lot more likely to be included in season 2 (obviously akuma is even more likely but the supposed leak has him as a free character).

Decapre was already teased, seems to be showing up in story mode, and has an updated costume

All signs point to us getting her a some point

kasane

i feel like im finally giving up on the game (for real this time)

every patch it seems like a new problem comes up for me on pc and the match making times are freaking atrocious. I also dislike the general feel of the game but thats a whole another discussion.

Xeteh

Over/under on their surprise tomorrow being anything more than a character reveal/date?

I'm guessing next to nothing.

LTG got banned from Twitch llmmmaaaaooooooo ��������������������������

And nothing of value was lost.

every patch it seems like a new problem comes up for me on pc and the match making times are freaking atrocious. I also dislike the general feel of the game but thats a whole another discussion.

If you don't like the feel of the game that is a good indicator to drop the game. No use in trying to make something work that you dont feel. What FGs, if any, do you like this generation?

I'm reading a thread on Reddit and it seems like you're not alone. People are getting bored gameplay wise and the lack of content and communication from capcom in general isn't helping.

I myself still really like the game but it's beginning to feel more and more like work. Like I'm just putting in an hour or so every few days to "stay current" before not touching it for the next couple days.

This games been taking (legitimate and justified) heat since day 1 and I've been trying to stay on capcom's side every time but I'm starting to drift away. I don't know guys. content problems aside, do you guys think the gameplay is getting stale?

I'm reading a thread on Reddit and it seems like you're not alone. People are getting bored gameplay wise and the lack of content and communication from capcom in general isn't helping.

I myself still really like the game but it's beginning to feel more and more like work. Like I'm just putting in an hour or so every few days to "stay current" before not touching it for the next couple days.

This games been taking (legitimate and justified) heat since day 1 and I've been trying to stay on capcom's side every time but I'm starting to drift away. I don't know guys. content problems aside, do you guys think the gameplay is getting stale?
There are certain characters that feel like they have a "peak".

Like with Cammy, how many variations of moves and techniques can you possibly apply. Where as with Ryu, just having the option of the parry makes things a lot more dynamic and skill based just by having that option out there.

Personally, I'm not getting bored with the game, it's just the fact that the online is a piece of shit that gets to me.

EDIT: Though shimmy's are most definitely annoying as fuck, considering they work like 99% of the time. Maybe people will learn to deal with them, maybe something will change idk. Though this isn't the first time I'm hearing Street Fighter veterans complain about shimmys being too good in this game.

EDIT2: And I will say this, if the game isn't fixed by August, which seems incredibly unlikely, then I'm just moving on to KOFXIV, and might not come back to this game.

I'm not getting bored gameplay wise and the lack of content thing doesn't bother me as much as others. I can still go back and play games like 3rd strike without issue. Maybe I'm a little "old school" but that fact that we are getting 1 character a month in a street fighter game is a big deal based on how things have always been.

Am I happy with their lack of communication? No. Although it is good to see them acknowledge their mistakes with this game and hopefully they can get things on track. I'm also not a series loyalist and buy every single FG that comes out so I usually don't run out of things to play.

They need to fix matchmaking asap. I know the game is bleeding players fast. But even then for 1v1 game it shouldn't take this long. even if there was 10 people in total playing it theoretically shouldn't take more than 2 min. as 5 players will get matched up with other 5 available players.

Vice

There are certain characters that feel like they have a "peak".

Like with Cammy, how many variations of moves and techniques can you possibly apply. Where as with Ryu, just having the option of the parry makes things a lot more dynamic and skill based just by having that option out there.

Personally, I'm not getting bored with the game, it's just the fact that the online is a piece of shit that gets to me.

EDIT: Though shimmy's are most definitely annoying as fuck, considering they work like 99% of the time. Maybe people will learn to deal with them, maybe something will change idk. Though this isn't the first time I'm hearing Street Fighter veterans complain about shimmys being too good in this game.

EDIT2: And I will say this, if the game isn't fixed by August, which seems incredibly unlikely, then I'm just moving on to KOFXIV, and might not come back to this game.
Character cap has always been a thing in Street Fighter though. Compare Rufus in 4 to Akuma in IV. Rufus was played roughly the same throughout the entire life of the game while Akuma's vortex and gameplan evolved and changed hroughput the 8 years of the games life. Same way characters like ST T. Hawk or 3S Yun were shown to be much more powerful due to one or two moves.

JayEH

Yeah I'm starting to get bored. I've played almost every day since launch. I play Ryu, Ken, and Cammy and that's all I can really play so maybe I just need to get out my comfort zone and just try some new people but yeah I've really gotten into a set rhythm with the characters I use now and it's hard to break from that. I would like some SP content to just mess around with but there's not even VS CPU. Think I'll put down the game for a bit after Ibuki and just come back every month for a bit when the new characters drop.

everyone should try KOFXIV, regardless!

Counting the days.

Character cap has always been a thing in Street Fighter though. Compare Rufus in 4 to Akuma in IV. Rufus was played roughly the same throughout the entire life of the game while Akuma's vortex and gameplan evolved and changed hroughput the 8 years of the games life. Same way characters like ST T. Hawk or 3S Yun were shown to be much more powerful due to one or two moves.

It's certainly true that different characters have always had different caps but this might be the first game where the characters just feel like they're locked in place.

With the exception of Nash and maybe Ryu, all other characters feel like they can only be played in 1 or maybe 2 ways.

Birdie is always playing reactionary and zoning based, Alex is always on the offense and looking for a crack in the enemies' defense.

Cammy is always trying to bait out moves to punish, Karin is always relying on her footsie game and her fast moves.

Guile will always be defensive except for when he has V-Trigger, then it's a bit of a mix-up game if he does go offense.

R.Mika will always try to go in and force the situation or at best, work off of punishes to get opponents to the corner.

Honestly, the characters just feel more "locked" to me with them clearly being good at certain things and horrible at others.

Edgeward

There is a lot of nostalgia for IV recently among the vocal dissenters. And I personally can't go back to watch old IV matches let alone play. Just remembering the backdashes, OSes, plinking, vortexes and ultras and focus attacks tick me off a bit.

Gameplay wise this is great, it's high damage, fast paced, and easier to understand. The main thing is online is wonky in terms of matchmaking especially and the balance while not terrible is still not incentivizing more people to play a good chunk of the cast. I feel like I play the same kind of chars online that I see in top 16 in tournaments. Few play Rashid, Birdie, FANG, Guile, Claw, Sim. And the only Giefs are the high rank masochists.

And not having a set schedule of updates and the radio silence doesn't help. But for me, the main thing is just the online. Matchmaking, reworked battle lounge searches, and a better rage quit solution would be huge

Vice

It's certainly true that different characters have always had different caps but this might be the first game where the characters just feel like they're locked in place.

With the exception of Nash and maybe Ryu, all other characters feel like they can only be played in 1 or maybe 2 ways.

Birdie is always playing reactionary and zoning based, Alex is always on the offense and looking for a crack in the enemies' defense.

Cammy is always trying to bait out moves to punish, Karin is always relying on her footsie game and her fast moves.

Guile will always be defensive except for when he has V-Trigger, then it's a bit of a mix-up game if he does go offense.

R.Mika will always try to go in and force the situation or at best, work off of punishes to get opponents to the corner.

Honestly, the characters just feel more "locked" to me with them clearly being good at certain things and horrible at others.
It seems a bit early for that. Aggresive Birdies and footsie-based R. mikas are already doing very well and Alex's buttons are very strong when playing a defensive/patient game similar to Gief in IV. At a high level of play a slippery/defensive Sim hasn't been played much, in tournament, because his offense seems so oppresive at the start of the games life.

Early meta-game always favors the simpler styles but, as the game develops unusual characters or playstyles become more common. Look at Elena in IV she was dismissd early on but once people switched up their approach she became a monster due to her effectiveness as a runaway character. NuckeDu's success as an aggresive Guile also showed how a character withh a playstyle that was seemingly placed in stone could be played in a totally new way. So far, Fang is the character that seems he most effective when played in a way that seems outside of the box. SonicFox and Xian's aggresive style has taken them far when everyone thought he would be very defensive. Same for Infiltration's Nash that ignores a lot of his tools as an aggresser for an in-and-out style.

hamchan

They need to fix matchmaking asap. I know the game is bleeding players fast. But even then for 1v1 game it shouldn't take this long. even if there was 10 people in total playing it theoretically shouldn't take more than 2 min. as 5 players will get matched up with other 5 available players.

It's the matchmaking times that made me stopped playing ranked. They are atrocious and shouldn't be this long. Such a huge waste of time that makes me want to play other games instead, like Overwatch and their nice 10 second queue times.

Bring back hosted rooms.

It seems a bit early for that. Aggresive Birdies and footsie-based R. mikas are already doing very well and Alex's buttons are very strong when playing a defensive/patient game similar to Gief in IV. At a high level of play a slippery/defensive Sim hasn't been played much, in tournament, because his offense seems so oppresive at the start of the games life.

Early meta-game always favors the simpler styles but, as the game develops unusual characters or playstyles become more common. Look at Elena in IV she was dismissd early on but once people switched up their approach she became a monster due to her effectiveness as a runaway character. NuckeDu's success as an aggresive Guile also showed how a character withh a playstyle that was seemingly placed in stone could be played in a totally new way. So far, Fang is the character that seems he most effective when played in a way that seems outside of the box. SonicFox and Xian's aggresive style has taken them far when everyone thought he would be very defensive. Same for Infiltration's Nash that ignores a lot of his tools as an aggresser for an in-and-out style.
I personally don't think we'll be seeing that much variety since combos are universally shorter and do much more damage, some characters just don't have the mobility provided by something like an FADC to be able to maintain offense if they're defensive.

The FADC and the much better sonic boom was a big part of Guile being able to be played as an aggressor. Same went for a lot of more defensive characters. In this game, Guile's offense is considerably worse and works much better when he does his moves as a reaction or setting up situations with his sonic booms.

And I personally am a FANG player and can maintain that that defensive style of play breaks apart VERY quickly against anybody that has an armor move or a fireball. FANG's defense being shit only helps solidify that belief.

His offense is good but does fall apart if the enemy has a 3-frame jab since his best pressure move, the st.hk, gets negated with a 3-frame jab. It's obvious from the design that he can be played offensive and zoning/defensive but he's one of the two that can be played like that.

Dhalsim is similar in that either he's going to zone you out or play offensive since he's good at both. I really don't think we're going to see any players deviate from those two gameplans.

Same situation applies for practically every character, except like I said Nash, Ryu and maybe even Alex.

Disktrasa

Banned
Is arcademode or vs cpu confirmed by Capcom? I want the seasonpass but Will wait to buy that untill one of those modes are patched in.

Is arcademode or vs cpu confirmed by Capcom? I want the seasonpass but Will wait to buy that untill one of those modes are patched in.

All they've really said is that they've "heard the community" regarding Arcade mode but haven't given any solid dates.

Arcade mode is definitely a guarantee, the only question is when. It's possible that it might not even come out this year.

Sayad

Tokido from Street Fighter Crash today:
CleanEmotionalEthiopianwolf.gif

KingBroly

Banned

Game's been bleeding players since launch.

They need to get rid of the Arcade-Style of Matchmaking and make it like Pokken Tournament. Make it a completely solitary mode that isn't tied to anything else to make it go lightning fast.

Shito

Seems to me you are mistaking a character's general archetype with a player's own style.
See Luffy's Mika against Fuudo's one: they are nothing alike.
I play Laura and I play her literally nothing like I was 2 or 3 months ago, and I still have A TON of things to integrate into my game. I feel like I'm only scratching the surface. And heck, people are still discovering options and setups with her, like that charge fireball setup on a vtrigger ex clap...

Look, if Mika can be played honestly, then this game still has some tricks left to show me.

But real talk, it seems like there's "less" of a game because you aren't actively fighting against it. You don't have to grind out combos all day because the execution is less harsh, you don't have to search for pocket characters because the one you want to play is absolute shit against your opponents, and you don't have to fight the system to get things to work. So you aren't grinding out shit so much as you are playing.

All the people at my locals love it because they constantly need to adjust all the time when playing against humans. But my friends who play online are just getting frustrated with the game and want to quit.

Vice

I personally don't think we'll be seeing that much variety since combos are universally shorter and do much more damage, some characters just don't have the mobility provided by something like an FADC to be able to maintain offense if they're defensive.

The FADC and the much better sonic boom was a big part of Guile being able to be played as an aggressor. Same went for a lot of more defensive characters. In this game, Guile's offense is considerably worse and works much better when he does his moves as a reaction or setting up situations with his sonic booms.

And I personally am a FANG player and can maintain that that defensive style of play breaks apart VERY quickly against anybody that has an armor move or a fireball. FANG's defense being shit only helps solidify that belief.

His offense is good but does fall apart if the enemy has a 3-frame jab since his best pressure move, the st.hk, gets negated with a 3-frame jab. It's obvious from the design that he can be played offensive and zoning/defensive but he's one of the two that can be played like that.

Dhalsim is similar in that either he's going to zone you out or play offensive since he's good at both. I really don't think we're going to see any players deviate from those two gameplans.

Same situation applies for practically every character, except like I said Nash, Ryu and maybe even Alex.

There's already variety in characters that aren't Ryu, Nash or Alex though. Let's look at Laura players. Will 2Pac is very mixup heavy and takes a lot of risks, Kindevu plays a very slow game based around her far reaching normals like cr.HP, and Wolfkrone opts for a very safe game often giving up pressure when he has momentum. The use of her fireball, and Rashid's, are also pretty underused in play at the moment.

Players can play a character against their niche to great effect quite often. It just takes time for these things to happen as not all top players pick up on games as fast as Wong, Tokido, F. Champ or Infiltration.

Seems to me you are mistaking a character's general archetype with a player's own style.
See Luffy's Mika against Fuudo's one: they are nothing alike.
I play Laura and I play her literally nothing like I was 2 or 3 months ago, and I still have A TON of things to integrate into my game. I feel like I'm only scratching the surface. And heck, people are still discovering options and setups with her, like that charge fireball setup on a vtrigger ex clap...

There's already variety in characters that aren't Ryu, Nash or Alex though. Let's look at Laura players. Will 2Pac is very mixup heavy and takes a lot of risks, Kindevu plays a very slow game based around her far reaching normals like cr.HP, and Wolfkrone opts for a very safe game often giving up pressure when he has momentum. The use of her fireball, and Rashid's, are also pretty underused in play at the moment.

Players can play a character against their niche to great effect quite often. It just takes time for these things to happen as not all top players pick up on games as fast as Wong, Tokido, F. Champ or Infiltration.
All right, all right. Personally, I still think that too many characters are stuck to certain playstyles, but it's not as bad as I was making it out to be.

All right, all right. Personally, I still think that too many characters are stuck to certain playstyles, but it's not as bad as I was making it out to be.

I don't blame you. The crux of playing online is that people rely on gimmicks and set styles of play too much. The variance I've seen comes from facing people offline.

(That isn't to say it DOESN'T exists, but maybe not in the amount that it does offline. If that makes any sense.)

I don't blame you. The crux of playing online is that people rely on gimmicks and set styles of play too much. The variance I've seen comes from facing people offline.

(That isn't to say it DOESN'T exists, but maybe not in the amount that it does offline. If that makes any sense.)
I understand perfectly what you're saying. I've played offline with folks, also played long LOONNG Battle lounge sets with people too. Certainly conditioning is done and people change up their strategies and techniques constantly.

I guess it's just a personal thing and I might even be wrong but I feel like a lot of characters don't have that freedom to mix things up as others do.

Scotia

Banned
Blanka

blanka.jpg

He learned from electric eels how to discharge electricity from his body, and violently rams his opponents while spinning!
(He should've hurt himself pretty badly, the first times...)
He's Blanka. Real name, Jimmy.

Name: Blanka
Height: 192cm
Weight: 98kg
Blood Type: B
Birthday: February 12
Home Country: Brazil
Favorite things: Tropical fruits, Samantha, Arapaima¹
Dislikes: Army ants

A savage kid, who fell from a plane when he was still a child in the deeps of the Rainforest, he survived by learning how to defend himself.
He toys with his opponents, and has distinctive unhortodox movements.
And he loves Samantha, his mom!

They need to get rid of the Arcade-Style of Matchmaking and make it like Pokken Tournament. Make it a completely solitary mode that isn't tied to anything else to make it go lightning fast.
That would be amazing tbh. But my matchmaking has been fucked since around Guile patch so I get matched with the same 3 people and it takes 10 mins to find a match so I've kind of just stopped playing.

Pompadour

What does "isn't tied to anything" mean? How does it work?

KingBroly

Banned
What does "isn't tied to anything" mean? How does it work?

How does Pokken's online work?

Basically "Wanna play Online, press here" and it goes. Less than 10 seconds and you're in a match. Always. The countdown timer's max is 10 seconds. The longest it's ever gone is 5 seconds. It's not a setting that can be easily interrupted by pausing or going between menus. It's in its' own bubble and it works superbly for it.

The netcode of Pokken needs work, though.

Neoxon

Basically "Wanna play Online, press here" and it goes. Less than 10 seconds and you're in a match. Always. The countdown timer's max is 10 seconds. The longest it's ever gone is 5 seconds. It's not a setting that can be easily interrupted by pausing or going between menus. It's in its' own bubble and it works superbly for it.

The netcode of Pokken needs work, though.
But SFV is set up in a way where you're paired with someone of a similar rank. Not to mention Casual Matches, which don't hurt your rank & really helps with improving with a specific character (Ex: Me with Alex).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom