• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got the game working decided to take my scrub Alex out and get over 3000LP player lol...but it was casuals, got bodied...

Stick to casuals if you are new. I also noticed there are lot of rookie and bronze lobbies. Join one of those and practice once you can beat them consistently join a ultra bronze lobby.

Stick to casuals if you are new. I also noticed there are lot of rookie and bronze lobbies. Join one of those and practice once you can beat them consistently join a ultra bronze lobby.

I am trying new character, i am constantly fighting my gold and silver league friends.

I am trying new character, i am constantly fighting my gold and silver league friends.

Then you should be fine. The game doesn't have a system where it knows if you are trying a character for the first time. If you are silver ranked or above then 3000 LP opponent should be manageable for you atleast that's how the game thinks. It doesn't look to see if your character is level 1.

Edzi

Did they ever fix that Alex character select bug? I want to set him as my favorite character, but don't want to risk the bug during lounges.

Played a higher ranked Alex that beat me the first game before I noticed his name was "AryanChrist". Something came over me and I refused to lose to him again. Bodied him the next two games with relative ease. Fuck you.

Steroyd

That feel when you should have won but execution error was the reason for the loss, and they were fun close matches to, this has to be the saltiest I've been in ages.

Edzi

Okay, I'm convinced. Jab anti airs are broken and need to be patched out asap. I'm playing this hyper aggressive Ryu (constantly pressing buttons and dashing/jumping forward) with Alex and it's just absurd how hard it is to do anything against him, and him being able to stop even crossups/heavy air attacks with a jab and then follow up with a free mixup is crazy infuriating. Also kind of bugs me how difficult a player like this is to fight even though they're essentially ignoring the neutral game/footsies.

Salty.

Okay, I'm convinced. Jab anti airs are broken and need to be patched out asap. I'm playing this hyper aggressive Ryu (constantly pressing buttons and dashing/jumping forward) with Alex and it's just absurd how hard it is to do anything against him, and him being able to stop even crossups/heavy air attacks with a jab and then follow up with a free mixup is crazy infuriating. Also kind of bugs me how difficult a player like this is to fight even though they're essentially ignoring the neutral game/footsies.

Salty.

I just played a Guile who did the same. Took his need for a proper anti-air out of the equation. He was up running around like a shoto the whole match and occasionally threw booms as a set up to get in.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Salty.

Hahaha! Yesssssss feel the anger rise, my friend!! Totally agree with you.

Edgeward

Light anti-airs got to go, the mix-up they get afterwards is too good. For anyone without a invincible reversal, this is one of the scariest situations to be in

Edzi

I just played a Guile who did the same. Took his need for a proper anti-air out of the equation. He was up running around like a shoto the whole match and occasionally threw booms as a set up to get in.

Hahaha! Yesssssss feel the anger rise, my friend!! Totally agree with you.

Light anti-airs got to go, the mix-up they get afterwards is too good. For anyone without a invincible reversal, this is one of the scariest situations to be in

Now I'm fighting a Karin who does the same thing... It seriously feels broken, and like one of you said, it just kinda eliminates the need to pay attention to using real anti airs. A huge part of the game feels like it gets removed, especially since it seems like a large chunk of the characters can do this so the game just devolves into a mindless offensive rush.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
My other problem with the jab AA is that I don't use them nearly enough. I guess my old school SF brain is too wired into thinking standing jabs are generally useless. They are done to me all the time though.

Neoxon

Salty.
Alex has a jab anti-air, too.

Edzi

Alex has a jab anti-air, too.

How does that go against my point? It's still lame.

My other problem with the jab AA is that I don't use them nearly enough. I guess my old school SF brain is too wired into thinking standing jabs are generally useless. They are done to me all the time though.

Yeah, I have the same problem. Just feels so wrong though.

Something else I've started to really notice is that you can get pretty far in the ranks by just playing ultra aggressive with certain characters. I just had lounges with a gold Ryu, Nash, and Ken. Each one used the same strategy of always moving forward and pressing buttons + jab any kind of jump. The risk/reward seemed heavily skewed in their favor.

DR2K

Banned
Now I'm fighting a Karin who does the same thing... It seriously feels broken, and like one of you said, just kinda eliminate the need to pay attention to using real anti airs. A huge part of the game feels like it gets removed, especially since it seems like a huge chunk of the characters can do this and the game just feels like it devolves into a mindless offensive rush.

Yup Sim with jab anti air is bullshit.

FluxWaveZ

I had a double KO tie finish for the first time in a Ranked match earlier. I was surprised that:

1. It didn't reduce our LP by much. I thought it would be the standard amount, but we both ended up losing about 20 LP.
2. It still gives us the option to rematch even though that was technically the last match in the BO3.

I ended up playing a FT20 mirror match cpuple days with Laura and I surprisingly enjoyed playing as her. Had my brother over and we were messing around with different characters and decided to go for it. Granted we were using non optimal punishes and hit confirms but she was really fun to play with. I am sure it would be much more frustrating when playing against characters that can keep you out.

Now I'm stuck in a New York airport for 12 hours and I already got jetlag and won't very able to play for over a week.

Edgeward

Something else I've started to really notice is that you can get pretty far in the ranks by just playing ultra aggressive with certain characters. I just had lounges with a gold Ryu, Nash, and Ken. Each one used the same strategy of always moving forward and pressing buttons + jab any kind of jump. The risk/reward seemed heavily skewed in their favor.

It's not really that unique to this game. Aggressive play/abare is a sound strat is the early stages of many games because people are not confident in their punishes/know what to punish/how to react besides blocking or mashing a slow button

Edzi

It's not really that unique to this game. Aggressive play/abare is a sound strat is the early stages of many games because people are not confident in their punishes/know what to punish/how to react besides blocking or mashing a slow button

You're right, I'm just finding it more frustrating than usual because I'm using a character without an invincible reversal/3 frame jab plus the constant AA jabs shitting down my cross up attempts.

SmokeMaxX

I hate jab anti-airs, but I think they're fine for the characters that need them like Sim, Gief, or Alex. No way should Ryu or Necalli have them though. Those characters have DPs ffs.

Those jab anti-airs are getting you guys ready for KOF14! Or any anime game since you can basically eat a shit ton of damage for getting anti-aired by jabs. Honestly I didn't know people had a problem with anti-air jabs in this game before reading the past couple posts since it's a staple in other games. The weirdest looking anti-air jabs are when I see people use cr.lp (or down 1) in MK games, and get a combo off them. It always looked mad goofy seeing a crouching light tap into a juggle since it looks like it just taps their toes at most (sometimes it doesn't look like it even touches).

Zissou

Great vid. Didn't even know the throw follow-up only catches standing opponents, haha. People really have to learn how to punish this girl's stuff.

Thanks!

BTW, I'm doing Bison next, so if anybody who plays Bison is willing to assist with the video on fighting him, I'd appreciate any help they'd be willing to offer! Even something as simple as fact-checking my google doc vid-making notes on the character would be really useful.

This is all i have to say about AA jabs, vertical attack coming from above losing to a horizontal attack is fucking laughably and dumb ass design, the only anti-jab i respect is Chun Li because it's Vertical vs Vertical. just think about that, jumping above you, about to smash you with my hardest punch/kick, and i lose to you from a simple jab that isn't even attacking upwards..lol lol lol...

SmokeMaxX

This is all i have to say about AA jabs, vertical attack coming from above losing to a horizontal attack is fucking laughably and dumb ass design, the only anti-jab i respect is Chun Li because it's Vertical vs Vertical. just think about that, jumping above you, about to smash you with my hardest punch/kick, and i lose to you from a simple jab that isn't even attacking upwards..lol lol lol...

Yeah, hers looks fine and I don't mind Chun having a jab (errr short) anti-air either.

Edgeward

Those jab anti-airs are getting you guys ready for KOF14! Or any anime game since you can basically eat a shit ton of damage for getting anti-aired by jabs. Honestly I didn't know people had a problem with anti-air jabs in this game before reading the past couple posts since it's a staple in other games. The weirdest looking anti-air jabs are when I see people use cr.lp (or down 1) in MK games, and get a combo off them. It always looked mad goofy seeing a crouching light tap into a juggle since it looks like it just taps their toes at most (sometimes it doesn't look like it even touches).

But those games have hyper hops/air dashes, etc. so I can see why they are needed. Outside of dive kicks and some select moves you can't change your trajectory or jump descent

But those games have hyper hops/air dashes, etc. so I can see why they are needed. Outside of dive kicks and some select moves you can't change your trajectory or jump descent

MK games are pretty committed to their jump and a lot of air specials in that game are pretty punishable if they whiff or are blocked like if a scorpion does air teleport to bait an anti-air uppercut. Overall, even though you get a mixup off a jab at best (not always though depending on height, distance, and character dash speed), it's relatively much better to eat that than a full combo juggle even with the limited air mobility. It's not like it's unknown in SF4 either, you see PR Balrog jab people out of the air all the time, and Daigo did it with E.Ryu.

People complain about SF5 being too offensive, so it's weird that a decent defensive tool for a lot of characters that don't have stuff like invincible reversals is frowned upon. Especially since it's mainly just stopping momentum than dealing large amounts of guaranteed damage.

Matchmaking etc.

iQdROoo.jpg

Had he beat you I think it would have violently destroyed a server at Capcom with all the calculating it would have had to do divvying up points.

Edgeward

MK games are pretty committed to their jump and a lot of air specials in that game are pretty punishable if they whiff or are blocked like if a scorpion does air teleport to bait an anti-air uppercut. Overall, even though you get a mixup off a jab at best (not always though depending on height, distance, and character dash speed), it's relatively much better to eat that than a full combo juggle even with the limited air mobility. It's not like it's unknown in SF4 either, you see PR Balrog jab people out of the air all the time, and Daigo did it with E.Ryu.

People complain about SF5 being too offensive, so it's weird that a decent defensive tool for a lot of characters that don't have stuff like invincible reversals is frowned upon. Especially since it's mainly just stopping momentum than dealing large amounts of guaranteed damage.

MK is weird and I don't understand it myself so I refrain from that.

But the main thing for me is the follow up you can get from an light anti air. You are at significant advantage and allows for greater offensive pressure. And it is a safe option when others need to commit and risk the damage, when the light AA chars usually have another reliable AA option.

JayEH

I've always thought Ken was top tier ever since the Trinity started doing well with him. Momochi just cements that.

Vice

People don't know what they want. it's a game where you have to fully commit to pretty much everything so of course people would opt for the safest and most reliable anti-air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom