• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

I rock that controller, highly reccomend it, the D-pad sticks out so you feel you've actually got a proper controler miles better than the DS4 and ohohoho is it a million miles better compared to that shit stain that is the official madcatz one.

Accidentally CA's from a SRK is on you I'm afraid, I do the exact same thing accidentally on that controller to.

yodaxy

Hey guys. Just a quick question. Since there are a lot of different pads, many with similar sounding names, this is the current go-to-model of the Hori pads, right? Right now only called the 'Hori Fighting Commander'.

519so1gm-zl._sl1000_82ul6.jpg

Can anyone recommend it? Or other models? I've been looking for a portable and lazy alternative to my stick. I only just began with SF5 to actually learn the game the right way, although I played SF4 somewhat regularly with a friend. Got my very first stick for the game, the Venom, which seems fairly good for a beginner like me.

Playing with the DS4 feels terrible to me, though. The dpad hurts just after a few minutes. And I also seem to be too stupid for many inputs with that pad. For example, I almost always accidentally do Ryu's CA when I'm trying to do a SRK from a ducked position, among other things. Would that likely improve with a different pad or is that on me?

I'm eager to spend money for new gaming equipment anyway, but I'd be thankful for any advice on pads.

edit:
Oh, and is there a good alternative with a touchpad? Would be really great to have one for practice mode.
This pad is great. And no need for touchpad because the L3-R3 buttons are present.

Wallach

Hey guys. Just a quick question. Since there are a lot of different pads, many with similar sounding names, this is the current go-to-model of the Hori pads, right? Right now only called the 'Hori Fighting Commander'.

519so1gm-zl._sl1000_82ul6.jpg

Can anyone recommend it? Or other models? I've been looking for a portable and lazy alternative to my stick. I only just began with SF5 to actually learn the game the right way, although I played SF4 somewhat regularly with a friend. Got my very first stick for the game, the Venom, which seems fairly good for a beginner like me.

Playing with the DS4 feels terrible to me, though. The dpad hurts just after a few minutes. And I also seem to be too stupid for many inputs with that pad. For example, I almost always accidentally do Ryu's CA when I'm trying to do a SRK from a ducked position, among other things. Would that likely improve with a different pad or is that on me?

I'm eager to spend money for new gaming equipment anyway, but I'd be thankful for any advice on pads.

edit:
Oh, and is there a good alternative with a touchpad? Would be really great to have one for practice mode.

Wrote a mini-review & comparison of that pad to the FC4 here.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
After a disastrous losing streak during my last session which led me to question whether I had slacked too long on the game and would never be able to compete again, I'm up 700 points today, deep into the silver league. No rage quits, decent enough match making, and mostly good connections.

I still can't hit Guile, though. If anyone is playing/practicing Guile and doesn't mind sparring with a Ken, hit me up some time. I'll probably be on again tonight after 7:00 EST. (I'm in the Greater Toronto Area/Niagara region.)

CFN is Hey_its_that_dog

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
So I guess there's 0% chance in madcatz releasing a SE arcade stick xinput driver right? :|

Village

F7

We proudly present a member of North America's branch of Shadaloo.
He's a soldier of the highest grade.
It's also apparent from his moveset!

f7.jpg

Name: F7
Height: 198cm
Weight: 97kg
Blood Type: A
Birthday: January 23
Home Country: USA
Favorite things: Lord Bison, Discipline
Dislikes: People without a purpose

Leader of Shadaloo Troopers.
He magnificently beats enemies with his electromagnetic stun rod.
He's a broken character, having all the moves of the other troopers: teleport, concealed knives and flamethrowers!
Since he's stern and obsessed with hierarchy, is feared by all the others.
Look at this hero ass skeleton.

Edzi

Just got bopped over and over by a cocky Bison who started off by just using stomps non stop, and then just mashed safe moves + dash grabbed. I took some rounds with Alex, but he got me on tilt by constantly taunting after stuns and knockdowns. Then he switched to Alex and got me with more dash grabs.

Played couple hours last night after a long break. Lost every match except two, against higher ranked people . The ones I won? Couldn't get results from server. No points won.

Frak me.

FluxWaveZ

Played couple hours last night after a long break. Lost every match except two, against higher ranked people . The ones I won? Couldn't get results from server. No points won.

Frak me.

The points should be updated even if it says there's an error. Unless it's error 80002 or something, which I haven't checked for.

Edzi

As a continuation of my Alex gripes from yesterday (last time, I swear), I'm starting to really dislike the way this game has developed online and I'm wondering how much of this is a temporary phase of the game/community. I mentioned the constant "hold forward" rush down with safe buttons and dash in grabs + god like anti air jab into mixup and it was said that could just be a symptom of a game in it's infancy, but it's starting to feel like a bit more of a long term problem or oversight since this style of play isn't reserved to just a handful of characters (Hell, even most Guile's I fight online just charge forward). It just eliminates elements of the game (like defense and neutral) for most of the cast and also makes it insanely hard for characters without inv. reversals or 3 framers to keep up. Obviously it gets more complicated at really high levels of play, but playing this YOLO offensive style seems to be really good in general and can get you pretty far with relatively few drawbacks.

All this has been said before, but I've been noticing this stuff more since switching from Necalli to Alex online and the rants about jab AA's got me thinking about the game's rushdown in general. Do you guys think this need to change going forward, or if the game can evolve naturally away from it as it currently is?

F7

We proudly present a member of North America's branch of Shadaloo.
He's a soldier of the highest grade.
It's also apparent from his moveset!

f7.jpg

Name: F7
Height: 198cm
Weight: 97kg
Blood Type: A
Birthday: January 23
Home Country: USA
Favorite things: Lord Bison, Discipline
Dislikes: People without a purpose

Leader of Shadaloo Troopers.
He magnificently beats enemies with his electromagnetic stun rod.
He's a broken character, having all the moves of the other troopers: teleport, concealed knives and flamethrowers!
Since he's stern and obsessed with hierarchy, is feared by all the others.
I've been seeing these for a while now but I don't know what they're for. Fan art? Playing cards? Udon comic book concepts?

So I guess there's 0% chance in madcatz releasing a SE arcade stick xinput driver right? :|
By se which stick you mean? If you mean te2 or the sfv te2 stick with the recent update they all work fine for SFv PC. Just a while ago I was playing kof13 on my usfiv te2 stick. With the driver you have a choice to set them to x input.

Scotia

Banned
I've been seeing these for a while now but I don't know what they're for. Fan art? Playing cards? Udon comic book concepts?

They're character profiles done by Capcom. They've been doing them for a while now. About half have been translated to english if you want to have a look at the others (just follow the link I post with each one).

As to why they're doing them? I don't really know. They might be establishing future characters, teasing DLC characters or simply just building up their characters and lore. I'm not complaining either way.

Zissou

An odd series of questions to ask. You can find the answers to both in preceding posts/pages.

I read people's responses- I'm still confused. People seem mad that anti-air jabs are pretty good and beat rando jump-ins and cross-up attempts, but in the same breath complain that they can't deal with rando jump-ins and cross-up attempts.

leroidys

Think we'll get any guest characters in SFV?

Alpha had Sodom and Guy
Alpha 2 had Rolento
Alpha 3 had Cody (and Maki in the PSP/GBA ports)
3 had Hugo
4 had Poison

It seems the obvious one for V will be Haggar, but I'd love to see someone (new) from Rival Schools.

qcf x2

People play so dumb in ranked. I can't explain it any other way. But it works. And ranked is always laggy as shit, and I can't adapt to the dumbness. The only time I even boot up ranked is when I see an Excellent Adventures or something where people look like they're having a good time and I think yeah, I wanna have a good time too! And it's the worst experience ever, getting bodied by weird/slippery keepaway shit, lag, the most random of yolo attacks and most of all getting matched up with the same damn person 15x in one session. I don't live in Alaska or Guam, how the heck does that happen? That wasn't fun, gonna go back to battle lounges where people play Street Fighter.

/rant over

Wait, check that... let me reiterate my long established decree that down = LOL U GET UP FAST is the dumbest, dumbest mechanic ever. I can take my hand off the stick for a second on my way down (stick in neutral), oops looks like it registered a down since I tried to crouch block but apparently didn't do so in time, congratulations to me, I'm getting attacked since it doesn't register my panic block in time. That shit serves no purpose, if I want to quick rise I can press two punches. Not .... down.

/rant done...

Morris

Disco Devil
Great games. Learned a lot from your beatings!

GGs man.

In the Alex matchup don't be afraid to just run the fuck away, mantain distance with pokes and fireballs, there's no reason for you to get close or jump, I know he's scary and has big, chunky normals but if you're patient in the mid range you can whiff punish a lot of his large normals since they have a lot of recovery. Using st HP is good for fishing for CHs when he's chasing you.

I also noticed you didn't ever ex flash kick on wake up. I was doing meaties quite a lot hoping for button presses but a wake up ex flash kick would have blown em up, you have to show that you're willing to do that in order for people to respect your wake up.

That Nash - Guile matchup is kinda shitty and I honestly don't have any advice to give other than not throw fireballs since nash can gain meter of pretty much any boom you throw except EX. You can try to control space and play footsies but I think Nash's normals are far better tbh, it's a rough matchup.

Hope I could help a bit. Let me know if you wanna play again anytime.

Pompadour

Think we'll get any guest characters in SFV?

Alpha had Sodom and Guy
Alpha 2 had Rolento
Alpha 3 had Cody (and Maki in the PSP/GBA ports)
3 had Hugo
4 had Poison

It seems the obvious one for V will be Haggar, but I'd love to see someone (new) from Rival Schools.

The Final Fight people aren't really "guest" characters although someone from Rival Schools would count. Akira would be a great addition.

My ideal tertiary character of the Street Fighter universe would be Astro/Scorp from Slammasters.

xabi

GGs man.

In the Alex matchup don't be afraid to just run the fuck away, mantain distance with pokes and fireballs, there's no reason for you to get close or jump, I know he's scary and has big, chunky normals but if you're patient in the mid range you can whiff punish a lot of his large normals since they have a lot of recovery. Using st HP is good for fishing for CHs when he's chasing you.

I also noticed you didn't ever ex flash kick on wake up. I was doing meaties quite a lot hoping for button presses but a wake up ex flash kick would have blown em up, you have to show that you're willing to do that in order for people to respect your wake up.

That Nash - Guile matchup is kinda shitty and I honestly don't have any advice to give other than not throw fireballs since nash can gain meter of pretty much any boom you throw except EX. You can try to control space and play footsies but I think Nash's normals are far better tbh, it's a rough matchup.

Hope I could help a bit. Let me know if you wanna play again anytime.

Awesome thx

Edgeward

does the "resume menu bgm" work? I feel like I start over at the beginning of Rashid's music everytime I kick back out to the menu after a fight

When i was trying to figure out WTF was wrong with my game i deleted SFV(PC version) files located in Appdata, well those files saved trials, now all my trials are gone :( and i doubt you can redo them for money since i still have all my FM..

Edzi

When i was trying to figure out WTF was wrong with my game i deleted SFV(PC version) files located in Appdata, well those files saved trials, now all my trials are gone :( and i doubt you can redo them for money since i still have all my FM..
Why does it matter if you already got the FM?

Why does it matter if you already got the FM?

I only completed 2 of them, the rest were all WIP, like Cammy was 6/10, the annoying Karin one was slowing me down, Bison stuck on 7, all of them were either 6 or 7, now i have to restart all that shit because they weren't saved on the server..

Edzi

I only completed 2 of them, the rest were all WIP, like Cammy was 6/10, the annoying Karin one was slowing me down, Bison stuck on 7, all of them were either 6 or 7, now i have to restart all that shit because they weren't saved on the server..

Ah, that sucks then.

Love having only 1100 lp and being continually matched up with people 3k+.

There is so much wrong with the basic structure of this game. It's like it's actively discouraging new players. It's shocking.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Love having only 1100 lp and being continually matched up with people 3k+.

There is so much wrong with the basic structure of this game. It's like it's actively discouraging new players. It's shocking.

I have only 1336LP and willingly join Silver and Gold Battle Lounges in hopes of improving. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom