• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I do the piano thing sometimes and as I mentioned I don't think holding db should result in you performing a less defensive maneuver. I'm just saying, the dude said it would only be an issue if mashing, but one doesn't have to mash to hold db and get a quick rise, it's a dumb thing to say.
I meant the buttons not the direction obviously, how do you mash a directional input? lol

Either way, buttons and direction inputs were likely put in so it’s easier for players with less dexterity or skill in general. I don’t mind it, might have to break a habit with charge characters though.

Edgeward

Chris G's Guile was fucking epic and I'm glad he won WFN with him. I think the rumours that he was bad came from a pro (or two) and since people like to ride on the pro "bandwagon" at times to back up thier agenda, it doesn't surprise me.

Adon was proclaimed to be the worst in SF4 so history has examples of this happening.

kirblar

Chris G's Guile was fucking epic and I'm glad he won WFN with him. I think the rumours that he was bad came from a pro (or two) and since people like to ride on the pro "bandwagon" at times to back up thier agenda, it doesn't surprise me.
A Morridoom player is having success when prior Guile players aren't, which points to Guile just not being similar to his SF4 incarnation more than anything else.

xabi

is guile really this bad???

I have been maining Guile since ST. When I first played with him in SFV, I thought this was going to be my favorite incarnation of him. I still think his style is super cool, but after trying my hand with him for some time this is probably the weakest of his incarnations for me. Here is why:

1) His footsie game seems very weak now. Cr MK is just ass. The hitbox is all kinds of wonky. There have been so many times when my boot goes through the opponent's foot, and no hit is recorded. His B HP also does not seem to have the same range as SFIV, but I may be imagining things. His MP has pathetic range and is only usable in limited situations - although I do have to say his Jump HK, MP, Cr LP, Sonic Boom combo is really satisfying

2) I believe there are only two moves that are cancellable into sonic boom (Cr LP and Cr MP). This makes a guile player more predictable than before when doing block strings

3) It is very, very difficult to combo into decent damage on reaction without V Trigger. Most other characters besides the grapplers seem to have a couple of good BnB combos that deal decent damage AND leave you in an advantaged offensive place. To do something similar with guile, you have to be prepared ahead of time and have a charge, which sometimes gets lost in the heat of battle. With other characters, a charge is not needed. The notable exception is the CC HP, df HK, Flashkick, which deals good damage and does not require a charge at the start of the combo

4) He is too much of a zoner now. I have always played Guile in a bit of a counter-attack mode: zone and play defensive first until I see an opening and then go in and RTSD relentlessly. In SFV, his pressure game seems much more limited

5) His sonic boom recovery is longer than before for no reason. I get why they did this given his V Skill, but it makes him worse. I am fine with his flash kick not having the same priority, particularly because EX has it.

6) F HP seems to have less uses now. Before it was a nice combo ender, but now it whiffs on crouching opponents, which I do not believe it did before if it was done as part of a combo

On the positive side, I love the V Skill. It opens up many more mind games, both for zoning and on wakeup. The V-Trigger combos are nice, but honestly I have not been able to land the big loop combo in a real match...

What would I change for Guile?
1) Give Guile Nash's Cr MK in terms of range/properties
2) Give Guile Nash's St MP range and comboability from Cr MP
3) Allow Guile to cancel St MP into sonic boom

After playing with Guile exclusively since the release, I went back to Nash today and i had tons of fun and was winning more easily.

I know it's early, so hopefully we will be able to discover more tech with Guile to make him a little more versatile...

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is the ps gold wireless headset just bad at this or is it normal for most non silent stick buttons to be picked up and heard by friends over party chat?

looks like a glitch with his V-skill. He is on the opposite side they are pressing a button on but still getting hit.
Nash has one of the worst v-reversals and now it looks like he has the worst v-skill as well. They better patch that quick.

Also, I'm currently in the lab and just discovered that EX Moonsault only links with MP when launched from close range. All this time, it's been a crapshoot if I could pull it off or not, or so I thought.

I have been maining Guile since ST. When I first played with him in SFV, I thought this was going to be my favorite incarnation of him. I still think his style is super cool, but after trying my hand with him for some time this is probably the weakest of his incarnations for me. Here is why:

1) His footsie game seems very weak now. Cr MK is just ass. The hitbox is all kinds of wonky. There have been so many times when my boot goes through the opponent's foot, and no hit is recorded. His B HP also does not seem to have the same range as SFIV, but I may be imagining things. His MP has pathetic range and is only usable in limited situations - although I do have to say his Jump HK, MP, Cr LP, Sonic Boom combo is really satisfying

2) I believe there are only two moves that are cancellable into sonic boom (Cr LP and Cr MP). This makes a guile player more predictable than before when doing block strings

3) It is very, very difficult to combo into decent damage on reaction without V Trigger. Most other characters besides the grapplers seem to have a couple of good BnB combos that deal decent damage AND leave you in an advantaged offensive place. To do something similar with guile, you have to be prepared ahead of time and have a charge, which sometimes gets lost in the heat of battle. With other characters, a charge is not needed. The notable exception is the CC HP, df HK, Flashkick, which deals good damage and does not require a charge at the start of the combo

4) He is too much of a zoner now. I have always played Guile in a bit of a counter-attack mode: zone and play defensive first until I see an opening and then go in and RTSD relentlessly. In SFV, his pressure game seems much more limited

5) His sonic boom recovery is longer than before for no reason. I get why they did this given his V Skill, but it makes him worse. I am fine with his flash kick not having the same priority, particularly because EX has it.

6) F HP seems to have less uses now. Before it was a nice combo ender, but now it whiffs on crouching opponents, which I do not believe it did before if it was done as part of a combo

On the positive side, I love the V Skill. It opens up many more mind games, both for zoning and on wakeup. The V-Trigger combos are nice, but honestly I have not been able to land the big loop combo in a real match...

What would I change for Guile?
1) Give Guile Nash's Cr MK in terms of range/properties
2) Give Guile Nash's St MP range and comboability from Cr MP
3) Allow Guile to cancel St MP into sonic boom

After playing with Guile exclusively since the release, I went back to Nash today and i had tons of fun and was winning more easily.

I know it's early, so hopefully we will be able to discover more tech with Guile to make him a little more versatile...
One thing I can honestly vouch for is Guile's C.MK. I was shocked when I saw it for the first time. It's short and angled high at the hips. Very un-Guile like who used to be basically doing the splits with one leg to get that full extension. This is the first SF I think ever that has a garbage C.MK for him because that has been by bread and butter poke since SFII whenever I played Guile.

One thing about this Guile is that they gave him enough tools that he can be a little more mobile this time around. Still, I hate planning ahead in the heat of the moment so I had to give up the charge characters. More power to you guys who can deal with it and thrive, though.

Lmao this game's netcode is whack. It kept matching me with PR Rog again and again , but am glad it did since i learnt quite a bit from playing him.
I was also kinda nervous since I was on stream , which is funny since I am not even the one who was streaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DHVqpKuQK0

Good stuff. Maybe you'd do well at EVO.

Glad he changed his name to Rog. I never understood having a character from the game as your name. Like having a person's name you once dated tattooed on you.

RedEther

This game is pretty fun I should play it more

giphy.gif

Palom

Came across you in casuals, Xeteh. You've got a decent start on Necalli. Good games. (I was Gold Chun-Li.) Would have liked to see your Cammy!

Chun-Li is perhaps the only character that just isn't fun to play against for me.

Not that she's broken or that she's weak or anything like that, it's just I feel like I have to be seriously paying attention to everything when I'm playing against a Chun-Li which isn't something I feel against anyone else.

Nash has one of the worst v-reversals and now it looks like he has the worst v-skill as well. They better patch that quick.

Also, I'm currently in the lab and just discovered that EX Moonsault only links with MP when launched from close range. All this time, it's been a crapshoot if I could pull it off or not, or so I thought.

It's hard to combo after medium Moonsault. Sometimes MP will whiff. Also his EX Sonic Booms aren't great either. I thought I can combo after a Cr.MP into LP to Light Sonic sythe as a combo ender.

My problem is how far he teleports out.

giphy.gif

I clipped through his entire legs FFS

Alex's Hurtbox
maxresdefault.jpg

And let's compare it to Birdie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLxRFlla83Ic3zdLWAzmwHay5jGkBCDequ&v=D-2mz3DnLCU

His Hurtbox is small for a huge character. I guess it explains why Alex is hard to beat in footsie because of his Cr.MP. The same with Chun Li

It's hard to combo after medium Moonsault. Sometimes MP will whiff. Also his EX Sonic Booms aren't great either. I thought I can combo after a Cr.MP into LP to Light Sonic sythe as a combo ender.

My problem is how far he teleports out.

giphy.gif

I clipped through his entire legs FFS
His Hurtbox is small for a huge character. I guess it explains why Alex is hard to beat in footsie because of his Cr.MP. The same with Chun Li
It is pretty small for his size of character, but that power bomb he threw saved him just barely though.

Good stuff. Maybe you'd do well at EVO.

Glad he changed his name to Rog. I never understood having a character from the game as your name. Like having a person's name you once dated tattooed on you.

Didn't he get his name because he was a nobody and got Top 8 at EVO 2009 and people referred to him as the Puerto Rican Balrog?

Shadoken

Chun-Li is perhaps the only character that just isn't fun to play against for me.

Not that she's broken or that she's weak or anything like that, it's just I feel like I have to be seriously paying attention to everything when I'm playing against a Chun-Li which isn't something I feel against anyone else.

This is kinda a thing with the entire game. Against every character or player you need to pay proper attention , so its kinda hard to stay focused for long hours. Even a player much below your level can just beat you if you take it easy.

Its hard to play ranked after coming home from work , you absolutely cannot play this game when you are tired. SFIV on the other hand , you can kind of auto pilot( against players who arent as strong as you) and not play entirely reaction based.

This is kinda a thing with the entire game. Against every character or player you need to pay proper attention , so its kinda hard to stay focused for long hours. Even a player much below your level can just beat you if you take it easy.

Its hard to play ranked after coming home from work , you absolutely cannot play this game when you are tired. SFIV on the other hand , you can kind of auto pilot( against players who arent as strong as you) and not play entirely reaction based.

I lost a bunch of points one day because I was half watching a stream and half playing.

"Yeah dude I'll be fine listening to this and mashing some shit out."

Nope.

LakeEarth

A dropper found my Youtube video of his drop.

"You and lake earth can eat a dick." (responding to someone saying he also ran into him)
"You didn't end shit bitch." (regarding his streak)

Nice to have a mental image of someone's demeanor, and have it confirmed so completely.

chris g breaks metas in every game hes in. pros know little to nothing about characters when they first come out.

Anti air jabs are completely ruining his game for me. These moves do not need this property.
Yeah, this Ryu was doing it to me, even X-ups and it felt a little cheep, like is this dude even reading me or just AA'ing everything with Jab?

I think some moves can stuff if though, but yeah, would be nice if it’s toned down just a bit.

Edzi

Yeah, this Ryu was doing it to me, even X-ups and it felt a little cheep, like is this dude even reading me or just AA'ing everything with Jab?

I think some moves can stuff if though, but yeah, would be nice if it’s toned down just a bit.

I'm praying that Capcom just removes them entirely. They actively take away from the way you play the game and they're just no fun.

Skilletor

I'm praying that Capcom just removes them entirely. They actively take away from the way you play the game and they're just no fun.

How would you remove them entirely?

Is this even a problem specific to this game? I know 3s has a lot of AA jabs, and it's a good option there because if they parry a jab, you don't get much.

Honest questions. Seems like a property of hitboxes, but how would you alter the hitbox to make them effective as pokes on the ground and less effective as anti airs?

(I personally don't think they're a problem. If they are ready to AA you with jab, and these get taken away, you'll just be getting hit with something else, imo).

Edzi

How would you remove them entirely?

Is this even a problem specific to this game? I know 3s has a lot of AA jabs, and it's a good option there because if they parry a jab, you don't get much.

Honest questions. Seems like a property of hitboxes, but how would you alter the hitbox to make them effective as pokes on the ground and less effective as anti airs?

(I personally don't think they're a problem. If they are ready to AA you with jab, and these get taken away, you'll just be getting hit with something else, imo).

I think (and I could be super wrong here) that all they'd need to do is lower the hit box so that the hurt box is above it. That should stop it from beating out almost any air attack cleanly, which would be ideal.

Not sure how you don't see it as a problem when you have a huge chunk of the cast ignoring their regular anti air options in favor of a jab that beats out everything AND gives them a free mixup. I feel like a jab shouldn't be better than a DP or cr. HP, and it definitely shouldn't stop crossups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom