• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadoken

Honest questions. Seems like a property of hitboxes, but how would you alter the hitbox to make them effective as pokes on the ground and less effective as anti airs?

You increase the hurtbox upward , so that it cant be used as a reliable anti air. That way the hitbox remains untouched and it behaves the same way it currently does except against jump-ins.

Not sure how you don't see it as a problem when you have a huge chunk of the cast ignoring their regular anti air options in favor of a jab that beats out everything AND gives them a free mixup. I feel like a jab shouldn't be better than a DP or cr. HP, and it definitely shouldn't stop crossups.

Yea this is my issue with it as well. Its a complete momentum swing , which only few members of the cast have.

I remember when everyone was complaining about Karin's lack of AAs. But damn that Jab->Dash mixup everyone is doing now is just ridiculous. You can react So late to jump ins that Jumping against her is entirely pointless. Even if you predict a poke like St.MK she can recover in time to do the jab.

PFunk's WIP Ken mesh edits

Ni6rQxW.jpg

and finally some good Mika mods are taking shape

Honest questions. Seems like a property of hitboxes, but how would you alter the hitbox to make them effective as pokes on the ground and less effective as anti airs?

Well if you look at one of the worse offenders like necalli, the hitbox is higher than his head, heck it goes so far back that it will even stop a cross-up.

DR2K

Banned
How would you remove them entirely?

Is this even a problem specific to this game? I know 3s has a lot of AA jabs, and it's a good option there because if they parry a jab, you don't get much.

(I personally don't think they're a problem. If they are ready to AA you with jab, and these get taken away, you'll just be getting hit with something else, imo).

Why use any other anti air when you can just use a easy, safe, reliable, high priority jab that puts you into a adventagous state right after? You don't even need to think much considering how fast they come out and how safe they are.

Bob White

I think anti air jabs are fine. Like, seriously, just stop jumping. If you get a read on someone bating jump, you can easily dash in and start derp derp SF5 momentum.

jab anti airs are a godsend in this game.

Is it possible to show Capcom this? From Orlando Florida, the matchmaking system had the balls to put me against people from Vietnam while setting the bar limit to 4-5. It's like if the game can't find a player in like 5 minutes, they match me up with people who has a terrible ISP.

4C25C9813216CD0A722FCE41750EE06D49ED2102

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Tsarven had a good Necalli and could have beat me in a third match but unfortunately he's a rage quitting cunt.

Didn't even have that many points on the line.

edit: just won 133 points from a gold bison who didn't want a rematch. Thank you, karma.

Shadoken

Is it possible to show Capcom this? From Orlando Florida, the matchmaking system had the balls to put me against people from Vietnam while setting the bar limit to 4-5. It's like if the game can't find a player in like 5 minutes, they match me up with people who has a terrible ISP.

That dude need not necessarily be from Vietnam , you can set whatever flag.

Also I noticed this issue even in SFIV , the game will show full Green bar. But once you actually start the match it will drop. I am guessing its the same issue with SFV , and it thinks its a 4-5 bar match but not really.

Skilletor

I think (and I could be super wrong here) that all they'd need to do is lower the hit box so that the hurt box is above it. That should stop it from beating out almost any air attack cleanly, which would be ideal.

Not sure how you don't see it as a problem when you have a huge chunk of the cast ignoring their regular anti air options in favor of a jab that beats out everything AND gives them a free mixup. I feel like a jab shouldn't be better than a DP or cr. HP, and it definitely shouldn't stop crossups.

I guess because I look at it as potential damage vs. actual damage. Definitely agree they shouldn't be able to stop crossups, though.

You increase the hurtbox upward , so that it cant be used as a reliable anti air. That way the hitbox remains untouched and it behaves the same way it currently does except against jump-ins.

That makes sense. Hopefully Capcom and players take notice/speak up for balance changes.

Anti airs in general are too weak in this game. AA jabs are not an issue. When Tokido is playing a character with one of the best AAs in the game in mp DP and he decides the best way to fight Ken is to deliberately not anti air you know something is wrong. Anti airs should always be stronger than aerial options. In fact, anti airs generally are arguably weaker in SFV than they have ever been in franchise history. They even took away the invincibility on Flash Kick.

On Flash Kick.

If your problem with this game is 30 damage anti airs maybe you should stop jumping.

Edzi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206001333]Anti airs in general are too weak in this game. AA jabs are not an issue. When Tokido is playing a character with one of the best AAs in the game in mp DP and he decides the best way to fight Ken is to deliberately not anti air you know something is wrong. Anti airs should always be stronger than aerial options. In fact, anti airs generally are arguably weaker in SFV than they have ever been in franchise history. They even took away the invincibility on Flash Kick.

On Flash Kick.

If your problem with this game is 30 damage anti airs maybe you should stop jumping.[/QUOTE]

The issue with jab aa has nothing to do with their damage, but I agree that anti airs in general are too weak.

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206001333]Anti airs in general are too weak in this game. AA jabs are not an issue. When Tokido is playing a character with one of the best AAs in the game in mp DP and he decides the best way to fight Ken is to deliberately not anti air you know something is wrong. Anti airs should always be stronger than aerial options. In fact, anti airs generally are arguably weaker in SFV than they have ever been in franchise history. They even took away the invincibility on Flash Kick.

On Flash Kick.

If your problem with this game is 30 damage anti airs maybe you should stop jumping.[/QUOTE]

100% agree with this.

As a FANG, it's always a treat against characters with DPs that jump at me. I AA them and they ALWAYS DP when they hit the ground, which just leads to free damage for me.

Doesn't hurt that FANG's AAs are fantastic. st.lp (Fantastic), cr.hp (The GOAT), st.mk (decent) and cr.mk(decent)

That dude need not necessarily be from Vietnam , you can set whatever flag.

Also I noticed this issue even in SFIV , the game will show full Green bar. But once you actually start the match it will drop. I am guessing its the same issue with SFV , and it thinks its a 4-5 bar match but not really.

It felt like the player is from Vietnam. It was unplayable but for the player, he can play just fine .And at least the bars in SF4 dynamically change when in a lobby that allows you to kick players.

Jab AAs have been a thing in Street Fighter since jabs were a thing. There's no way anti-airs in SFV are weaker than they are in SF3 where people could just straight up parry your DP or flash kick and you're done.

I think people are just too used to SF4 where an AA could be FADC'd into huge damage.

On Flash Kick.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Flash Kick still has invincibility for AA, just not as a wake up reversal. And since we are talking about anti airs, it still has invicibility.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Flash Kick still has invincibility for AA, just not as a wake up reversal. And since we are talking about anti airs, it still has invicibility.

More than once, my AA flash kick has traded. It's still a pretty good tool for AAing but it's not completely perfect.

I don't think that there are real air-invincible moves in this game, just moves that eliminate the top area of the hurtbox. I get a lot of trades when anti airing with gief's lariat and that's supposedly invincible to air moves early on.

I could be completely wrong, though.

When did FANG get a flash kick?
I play 3 characters in the game (decently, at least) and those are FANG, Guile and Birdie.

My criteria for character selection is solid AAs.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206012589]I don't think that there are real air-invincible moves in this game, just moves that eliminate the top area of the hurtbox. I get a lot of trades when anti airing with gief's lariat and that's supposedly invincible to air moves early on.

I could be completely wrong, though.[/QUOTE]Lariat is upper-body invincible from frame 1-11. It also has 9 frames of startup so unless it's timed right or if the jump attack has a relatively small hurtbox, it'll usually start to hit mid-low too. Probably why Lariat isn't as good an AA as it was in previous games.

Xeteh

Came across you in casuals, Xeteh. You've got a decent start on Necalli. Good games. (I was Gold Chun-Li.) Would have liked to see your Cammy!

Aw goddamnit. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I was super salty with how I played last night. My Cammy isn't very special. Feel free to hit me up if you want to play though.

You could probably get people to play Gief again with one of the smallest changes possible. Just give one of his SPDs a 2-3f startup, even the EX version. Why does Gief just have to sit back and block buttons all day?

DD-11

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206014641]You could probably get people to play Gief again with one of the smallest changes possible. Just give one of his SPDs a 2-3f startup, even the EX version. Why does Gief just have to sit back and block buttons all day?[/QUOTE]

It's so frustrating. He was my favorite character coming in and they completely missed everything that was good about him. It's not as if he has a history of dominating tournaments over the years either.

Zissou

Whatever they do with Zangief, I hope they keep SPD startup where's it at (or close to it). It's dumb having to play offense completely differently against a character.

Bob White

This game needs that street fighter cross tekken once over with moves that are invincible to air attacks.

I long for the days for Christie's broken ass cr. hard punch anti air. Shit. Was. Legit.

ICYMI, Lord Haunts of Capcom giving some more info regarding the state of SF5:
https://www.reddit.com/user/hauntsxl

They said they wanted to communicate more, so here's a start.

Working to get you guys more consistent updates on whats going on. I'll be at E3 next week but when I get back going to work on putting together another update. Big summaries of the roadmap will likely live on Capcom Unity but I'll try to pop in here when I can to keep the conversation going.
One thing I'll say is that even though we havent been very vocal lately, I have been taking stock in what your guys frustrations are with the game and have been communicating that internally. The rest of the team is aware of many of the issues that are brought up, we just need to do a better job letting everyone know where we're at in terms of priorities. Don't worry, you haven't been shouting into the abyss, we hear you.
The dev team has been super busy with the June update. It's a massive update to the game. Once that is out the door we can talk more about what's next.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Cleared survival extreme with Ryu this time, and without using the standby network battle function to save me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom