• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD-11

agreed, it's so freaking difficult to deal with. Especially Alex's which leaves you in range for a Powah bomb when done close enough.

And my friend who's an Alex player keeps arguing that fang is a braindead character and that Alex is really weak. Dude should just stick to usfiv

Edit: same dude is now arguing that netherrealm sucks at making competent fighting games.

Your friend is crazy, but he's right about NR.

LakeEarth

agreed, it's so freaking difficult to deal with. Especially Alex's which leaves you in range for a Powah bomb when done close enough.
That's its power. It's a frame trap / command throw 50/50. Although it is powerful and annoying, there's a few reasons why I don't think it is that bad*

1. Powerbomb resets the neutral, since Alex is -2 if he tries to dash up after a powerbomb (assuming the opponent quick rises)
2. Without burning meter for EX flash chop, landing the frame trap with s.mp into s.mp/s.lp into light flash chop also resets the neutral.
3. f.HP has to be pretty damn close to connect with a crouch blocking opponent, so it's not like you can just do this all the time.

* I do main Alex so I am of course biased

This is why I wouldn't call this a "vortex" like SF4 Akuma/Ibuki.

Your friend is crazy, but he's right about NR.
I don't think that's applicable in a post mkx world. Not the biggest fan of netherrealm fighting games but mkx was legit.
That's its power. It's a frame trap / command throw 50/50. Although it is powerful and annoying, there's a few reasons why I don't think it is that bad*

1. Powerbomb resets the neutral, since Alex is -2 if he tries to dash up after a powerbomb (assuming the opponent quick rises)
2. Without burning meter for EX flash chop, landing the frame trap with s.mp into s.mp/s.lp into light flash chop also resets the neutral.
3. f.HP has to be pretty damn close to connect with a crouch blocking opponent, so it's not like you can just do this all the time.

* I do main Alex so I am of course biased

This is why I wouldn't call this a "vortex" like SF4 Akuma/Ibuki.
I agree that it's not a broken move or something that can't be dealt with. I guess it's balanced in that it doesn't have great range, it can't be cancelled into anything and that alex's shit defense is balanced with great offense.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Capcom Fighters ‏@CapcomFighters 16m16 minutes ago
We’re pleased to announce that Lockdown in Portugal has been added to this year’s CPT as a Ranking event, Sep 10-11.

I didnt even know there was a scene here in Portugal :eek:

LakeEarth

I was going to say that I wouldn't mind them removing its ability to crush counter since you can combo off of it with jab, but using it at the start of the match to crush counter Nash's spinning back fist is just too good.

I was going to say that I wouldn't mind them removing its ability to crush counter since you can combo off of it with jab, but using it at the start of the match to crush counter Nash's spinning back fist is just too good.
I've almost never seen his St.hk CC in a non V-skill situation so I think it would hurt his cc game considerably by removing it.

Alex Is fairly balanced Imo.

Neoxon

Capcom Fighters ‏@CapcomFighters 16m16 minutes ago
We’re pleased to announce that Lockdown in Portugal has been added to this year’s CPT as a Ranking event, Sep 10-11.

I didnt even know there was a scene here in Portugal :eek:
More points for you, then. Go for it!

KingBroly

Banned
Buffy Cammy
- Lower the hit boxes on Cannon Strike to make it harder to hit
- EX Cannon Strike has invincibility (Fuck you, Jab)
- +50 Life, +50 Stun
- Air Grab

I don't think that's applicable in a post mkx world. Not the biggest fan of netherrealm fighting games but mkx was legit.

That depends entirely on what you want from your fighting game.

If you're into story mode and all that stuff, then sure.

If you're into long term, international, healthy, competitive fighting game scenes that last longer than 9 months, then no.

FluxWaveZ

I would say Alex's lariat is the equivalent of Mika's Lady Mika. They both serve the same purpose and I would argue that they're both as good, for what Mika's has in speed Alex has in range. Plus, if Mika doesn't have meter, her mix-up options after the opponent blocks it are lessened while that doesn't matter in Alex's case.

Skilletor

Buffy Cammy
- Lower the hit boxes on Cannon Strike to make it harder to hit
- EX Cannon Strike has invincibility (Fuck you, Jab)
- +50 Life, +50 Stun
- Air Grab

lol, your constant denial of how good Cammy is despite what's going on in the competitive scene is amazing.

Invincibility on EX Cannon strike? So that it's literally a free way in when she has meter regardless of opponent's AA options? lol.

Thank god you're not responsible for balancing a game. :p

Edzi

I would say Alex's lariat is the equivalent of Mika's Lady Mika. They both serve the same purpose and I would argue that they're both as good, for what Mika's has in speed Alex has in range. Plus, if Mika doesn't have meter, her mix-up options after the opponent blocks it are lessened while that doesn't matter in Alex's case.

His lariat has pretty terrible range unless the opponent is standing.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, after using some cosmetic mods, it seems that Nadeshiko is apparently stored as a distinct character and not as an asset assigned specifically to Mika, at least when it comes to the character models anyway.

Like, installing the Harley Quinn + Poison Ivy mod for Mika changes Mika's default costume to Harley while keeping her other costumes unchanged, but it turns Nadeshiko into Poison Ivy regardless of which Mika costume you select.

Kind of lame that this means that Nadeshiko basically doesn't get alternate outfits with the way things are right now.

DD-11

So, after using some cosmetic mods, it seems that Nadeshiko is apparently stored as a distinct character and not as an asset assigned specifically to Mika, at least when it comes to the character models anyway.

Like, installing the Harley Quinn + Poison Ivy mod for Mika changes Mika's default costume to Harley while keeping her other costumes unchanged, but it turns Nadeshiko into Poison Ivy regardless of which Mika costume you select.

Kind of lame that this means that Nadeshiko basically doesn't get alternate outfits with the way things are right now.

She's on screen for a few seconds per match, and the are plenty of other things more important to work on-skins for actual characters for instance.

Shadoken

To hell with Cammy buff Gief, or remove him from the fucking game..

Gief might be bad , but he is at least very unique. I am not a fan of the character variety in this game. So Gief adds to that.

Wouldn't be surprised if Balrog got a command grab and then tries to do whatever other character in the game is doing.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm kinda late on this but PFunk's Ken mod would look good in a Dishonored game but does not work for me as an SFV character. It also doesn't fix one of the big issues with Ken's face, his microscopic forehead.

Sayad

lol, your constant denial of how good Cammy is despite what's going on in the competitive scene is amazing.

Invincibility on EX Cannon strike? So that it's literally a free way in when she has meter regardless of opponent's AA options? lol.

Cammy doesn't need any buffs, but I'd like to see her get her air grab back. It's not really a game changer considering how good her AAs are already, I just love air grabs.

Mizerman

Cammy doesn't need any buffs, but I'd like to see her get her air grab back. It's not really a game changer considering how good her AAs are already, I just love air grabs.

I wouldn't if she gets her air grab again. Just to see it once again.

LakeEarth

I thought this article about Ken was pretty interesting. Apparently he has universally less hitstop on his normals than the rest of the cast, making it intentionally harder to react to some of his stuff.

The article doesn't mention, did SF4 have any characters with different hitstop? I don't recall ever hearing about it.

EDIT - apparently Mika and Rashid have a single button which cause an inconsistent amount of hitstop. For Ken, it's all buttons higher than lights.

kirblar

I hate Cammy, but she needs something new at this point to make her less linear. Giving her the air grab back would probably be a good place to start.
Apparently he has universally less hitstop on his normals than the rest of the cast, making it intentionally harder to react to some of his stuff.
Yeah, this shouldn't be a thing.

Skilletor

I hate Cammy, but she needs something new at this point to make her less linear. Giving her the air grab back would probably be a good place to start.

Yeah, this shouldn't be a thing.

Nah, she doesn't. Airgrab isn't going to do anything since she already has godlike AAs.

I mean, I'm not saying she shouldn't get new moves in the future, everybody should if anybody does at all, but she is already a great character right now.

ElFly

The article doesn't mention, did SF4 have any characters with different hitstop? I don't recall ever hearing about it.

EDIT - apparently Mika and Rashid have a single button which cause an inconsistent amount of hitstop. For Ken, it's all buttons higher than lights.

back + MP being a 4f move is also p great for a combo starter, on top of his hitstop.

The way attack priority works makes MP moves beat cleanly all those 4f jabs, EVEN if you are reacting on time.

Neoxon

My new speakers came in ahead of time. Once I finish Uncharted 4's story, I should be able to get some lab time in.

pls nerf survival mode
pls nerf survival mode
pls nerf survival mode
pls nerf survival mode
pls nerf survival mode

I just want that black laura costume but have lost my soul in trying

You see that was the intention of the developer. That you would lose your soul while trying to get a fucking color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom