• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new phone wallpaper.

Great minds think alike.
You guys wouldn't know art if it bit you in the butt.

PuuKuqT.jpg

Now that execution is no longer a factor to worry about so much anymore, I'm starting to focus on playing with my brain turned on and really analyze what the player is doing so I can stump his tendencies. Trying to pay attention to two or three key things that they like to do.

That wild yolo Ken player the other day was really traumatic for me. Never again.

Now that execution is no longer a factor to worry about so much anymore, I'm starting to focus on playing with my brain turned on and really analyze what the player is doing so I can stump his tendencies. Trying to pay attention to two or three key things that they like to do.

That wild yolo Ken player the other day was really traumatic for me. Never again.

Dealing with yolo Kens is a lot easier in this game. Just block on his wakeup, block whenever you anti air him and he lands and block whenever he does a light tatsu cause he'll definitely do a shoryu afterwards.

Ok so now today I'm running into Kens and Necallis that never jump. Only advance forward and pressure into the corner mostly with normals. Their anti-air is also top notch. They both can beat Nash at footsies and do so every time.

What do I do?

Shadoken

Ok so now today I'm running into Kens and Necallis that never jump. Only advance forward and pressure into the corner mostly with normals. Their anti-air is also top notch. They both can beat Nash at footsies and do so every time.

What do I do?

They dont , they only win mid-range. Long Range Nash wins. How are they just walking forward when you can stop their movement with M.Sonic Scythe, C.MK ,F.HK. F.MK. They need to come much closer for their normals to hit you.

And if they are already that close , you dun goofed. Either back up and try again , or try to block/tech and wait for your turn.

Also if they are never ever jumping , you can pressure them once they block a HP.Sonic Boom. And hold your position or push them back so you dont get cornered.

Dealing with yolo Kens is a lot easier in this game. Just block on his wakeup, block whenever you anti air him and he lands and block whenever he does a light tatsu cause he'll definitely do a shoryu afterwards.

They dont , they only win mid-range. Long Range Nash wins. How are they just walking forward when you can stop their movement with M.Sonic Scythe, C.MK ,F.HK. F.MK. They need to come much closer for their normals to hit you.

And if they are already that close , you dun goofed. Either back up and try again , or try to block/tech and wait for your turn.

Also if they are never ever jumping , you can pressure them once they block a HP.Sonic Boom. And hold your position or push them back so you dont get cornered.
Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully I can put these plans into practice soon by running into these types of players again.

I actually reached sliver and was beating people consistently, then i got a stick and it's been pretty hard to adjust to it.
Try playing Casual since there's nothing at stake.

Taunting may give you salt but it also gives you motivation to convincingly whoop their ass. I remember how I got matched up with a Ryu and he taunted when he won the first match. I got serious and beat him the next 2 matches, even got a perfect in one round.

It's amazing how differently I play when I'm playing seriously and when I just play on "auto-pilot".

EDIT: Taunting is still a shitty thing to do when there's no guaranteed runback like in a Battle lounge or offline.

So earlier I played a Super Silver Nash. It was the final round and I had a decent lead and he was doing what a lot of Nash players do, which is back themselves into the corner by back dashing obsessively. He barely has any life so I figure I'll just do sweep, V trigger, overhead for the win. When I had him in the corner he does a raw super which catches the start up frames of my sweep. I was like "Why would you do that?". Their was no reason to get that desperate. But it was a nice read I suppose so we rematch. I annihilate him the 1st round of the 2nd match and he quits immediately. Maybe that answered my question, he was never planning on losing any points.

So earlier I played a Super Silver Nash. It was the final round and I had a decent lead and he was doing what a lot of Nash players do, which is back themselves into the corner by back dashing obsessively. He barely has any life so I figure I'll just do sweep, V trigger, overhead for the win. When I had him in the corner he does a raw super which catches the start up frames of my sweep. I was like "Why would you do that?". Their was no reason to get that desperate. But it was a nice read I suppose so we rematch. I annihilate him the 1st round of the 2nd match and he quits immediately. Maybe that answered my question, he was never planning on losing any points.

It's ok though, rage quits have decreased by 60%.

BTW, I copy and pasted that gimmicky HK tatsu on a opponents wake up from Daigo and it's been working marvelously for me. It has long start up at 14f which is actually a good thing because it still catches delayed tech'ers. Besides that it also catches back dashes, blows up that throw tech that the Japanese have been using, and it loops back into itself on hit since it puts Ryu right next to his opponent with no ability to back roll away since he crosses over to the other side and they'll just roll in his direction.

Last but not least, if you want to punish it hard you have to make a hard read and block high. Wake up crouch and do nothing and Ryu flies to safety. Wake up jab and you'll air reset him for barely any damage. Wake up and react will net you maybe just a medium attack reset or a sweep if you're using a slide character. Blocking high on wake up is a scary thing to do so I've gotten away unpunished or only received a weak punish the vast majority of the time.

I've been spamming the hell out of it, mainly against characters that lack a DP. Some guys I have to condition them first by going for a lot of throws. Once they start tech'ing it's hilarious to land a meaty HK tatsu 2 or 3 times in a row. Only thing I'm curious about is when HK tatsu is airborne. It starts up in 14f, but no way does it take that long to get airborne. Otherwise I'd get thrown a lot.

Wake up jab and you'll air reset him for barely any damage..
Well, that's debatable. The situation just got reset and they now have the advantage in this situation. And we know what a blocked DP leads to.

Like any tech, you're getting away with it cause it's new. Most competent players will start punishing it/already do.

BTW, I copy and pasted that gimmicky HK tatsu on a opponents wake up from Daigo and it's been working marvelously for me. It has long start up at 14f which is actually a good thing because it still catches delayed tech'ers. Besides that it also catches back dashes, blows up that throw tech that the Japanese have been using, and it loops back into itself on hit since it puts Ryu right next to his opponent with no ability to back roll away since he crosses over to the other side and they'll just roll in his direction.

Last but not least, if you want to punish it hard you have to make a hard read and block high. Wake up crouch and do nothing and Ryu flies to safety. Wake up jab and you'll air reset him for barely any damage. Wake up and react will net you maybe just a medium attack reset or a sweep if you're using a slide character. Blocking high on wake up is a scary thing to do so I've gotten away unpunished or only received a weak punish the vast majority of the time.

I've been spamming the hell out of it, mainly against characters that lack a DP. Some guys I have to condition them first by going for a lot of throws. Once they start tech'ing it's hilarious to land a meaty HK tatsu 2 or 3 times in a row. Only thing I'm curious about is when HK tatsu is airborne. It starts up in 14f, but no way does it take that long to get airborne. Otherwise I'd get thrown a lot.

But you get punished if they just block right? Sounds like a pretty bad option...

Well, that's debatable. The situation just got reset and they now have the advantage in this situation. And we know what a blocked DP leads to.

Like any tech, you're getting away with it cause it's new. Most competent players will start punishing it/already do.

It's true that not many people have been exposed to it. But if you're facing a Ryu that likes to do this then you have to make a hard read and not throw tech. And if you want real damage you have to make the hardest read and stand block.

I don't think having the experience will help out the knocked down player too much. To me it's a guessing game and kind of similar to the a command throw/meaty 50/50. it's not like I'll only do this though. When I've shown my opponents this gimmick enough time I will go back to meaty throws to see if they've stopped tech'ing.

We'll find out in due time though if it's a effective gimmick long term. It's been working out pretty well for me so far.

But you get punished if they just block right? Sounds like a pretty bad option...

Depends, if they block high then I get punished pretty good. It's scary to block high on wake up though. If they block low most of the time I fly away to safety or they react and air reset me for minimal damage. That's information though, I now know that they know how to counter it and in that situation I've gotten many uncontested throws because they were too scared to tech.

Hey guys, does SFV have sufficient content to warrant a buy yet? Speaking as someone who enjoys fighting games (especially Tekken :p), I've been meaning to buy it since release but have always ended up waiting after people's suggestions.

VariantX

Hey guys, does SFV have sufficient content to warrant a buy yet? Speaking as someone who enjoys fighting games (especially Tekken :p), I've been meaning to buy it since release but have always ended up waiting after people's suggestions.

Wait until a little bit later in the month, some more info about future content will drop soon before story mode is dropped. Right now if you did buy it just for story mode, you'd have nothing to do after the 3-4 hours it takes to complete it if you're not all that interested in online play. That stuff will likely have some legs on it.

Of course if you buy now, you can use alex and guile and get fight money from them by completing tutorials, story and survival modes and add to your cash pool before they revert back into pay characters.

Zerojul

There will be a full length story mode in a few weeks for the SP side of things, and new modes further down the line. For the MP the content is already there. The core system of the game is awesome. I'm sure you can find good deals for the game pretty much anywhere. So I'd say yeah.

In terms of single player content, I'd recommend waiting until the end of the month when the story mode hits. We'll get a much better idea of the single player.

In terms of Multiplayer, the game is fairly decent. It has good netcode and the battle lounges are stable.

In terms of the actual gameplay it is one of the best fighting games I've ever played. Every match gets really intense and always feels like a back and forth.

I'd recommend getting it since the story mode is a free update but upto you whether you want to wait. There are also DLC characters that will come on July, August and September (expected to at least).

MrCarter

If you enjoy fighting games on a pure mechanic and technical level then this is probably Capcom's best fighter yet - it's great to play with people locally and online (when it's not lagging of course). If you only want an arcade mode and maybe some challenge mode stuff then you can wish to hold off until July/August. Check out the link below for the upcoming stuff in June:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2016/06/09/sfv-cinematic-story-and-additional-june-updates

LakeEarth

Of course if you buy now, you can use alex and guile and get fight money from them by completing tutorials, story and survival modes and add to your cash pool before they revert back into pay characters.
Switched to Guile online specifically to nab his level up FM before he's gone.

Csr

Does anyone else have problems with matchmaking right now or is it me? i get a match every 20-30 minutes. It was fine a few hours ago.

SFV got that reputation for its launch. By the end of this month, sfv will have 8 player lobbies, combo trials, alex, guile, ibuki, cinematic story, store to buy costumes, and that shit tutorial. None of that stuff was at launch.

Man, Tokido has gotten top 8 at EVO in basically every 2d game. Guilty Gear, Blaz Blue, KOF, SF2, SF3, SF4, SFxT, CVS2. Dude is a monster. Only two wins though.

JWong has 8 wins, Daigo has 6, Infil has 3. I didnt really go through the 3d and party games to see if any of those guys stack up though.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206444727]Man, Tokido has gotten top 8 at EVO in basically every 2d game. Guilty Gear, Blaz Blue, KOF, SF2, SF3, SF4, SFxT, CVS2. Dude is a monster. Only two wins though.

JWong has 8 wins, Daigo has 6, Infil has 3. I didnt really go through the 3d and party games to see if any of those guys stack up though.[/QUOTE]
He has 2 sbo wins too, but is lacking in national titles.He can't close it out.

Daigo has 2 sbo wins, 6 evos, and 4 national titles. Daigo has 3 sbo, 4? Evo, and 3 national/global 2nd place finishes.

Momochi has 1 evo, 2 sbo wins, and 2 national titles. Pretty impressive.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Took my pocket Ken online today to really good results.Worked off 3 months of pent up Bison rage. Feels weird being able to just get someone off of you and not having to block for half an hour after a knockdown. Plus the ease with which Ken can open almost everyone up. I'm not used to mix ups, overheads,reversals and anti airs.What are these things? I might give Bison a bit of a break and focus on Ken. His natural scumbaggery compliments my own.

I always loved Dee Jays design, though I was really too intimidated to use him much when SSF2 first came out. Charge characters were harder for me to use well.
I know he's not popular, but I'd love to see him return. He's a fun character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom