• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
cikz7IF.jpg

The community keeps embarrassing Capcom with these edits.

Edgeward

For basically being an online service, it does a poor job creating some kind of social community or interaction. Not being able to have a friends list or some ever present way to see who is online make it a rather sterile experience for something that should be building a community.

Vega's st HK anti air still needs some adjusting to. Seems have I have to be even earlier in my attack than it looks like it should be or else I am eating huge damage.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm sure it's a LOT more complicated than that in modelling and animation, eg making sure his facial reaction reflects the immediate situation.

Ken really sux tho haha

A lot of characters look great, perfect even, but then you get the Kens, Vegas, Alexes and Guiles.

Edgeward

Watching the Kumite archive - blew my mind to see a Cammy player avoiding the super chip death by v-reversal after the blocked DP.

I like how Vega looks most times. He looks great in his alt and in the match-up screen. The super and win poses just contort his face weird.

hamchan

I'm actually not bothered by Guile's look. It won't stop me from using him. Frankly I've thought many of the characters have looked like weirdos since SF4. Guile and Ken looking like a creep is just continuing that.

hamchan

His face is exactly the same. All they did was make his eyes a little smaller? It's not like Guile looks like shitty Ken or anything.

Well yeah. It turns out there is a difference when you make the eyes more sharp, pointed and serious looking instead of round and bulging out like he's on a drug trip.

FluxWaveZ

GG's sir! Not gonna lie, I was getting pretty salty during that set, lol. Mika has some really cheap stuff. :p

GGs, man. I don't understand how your defense is so nuts; I've never had to play like this before I've met you. Maybe finding my way against an opponent who's such a wall was one of my fundamental problems when playing this game. To even have a chance, I had to kind of adapt to how you played: calculated and really precise. Not really what I've been doing as Mika, haha.

Edit: And damn straight she does; I'd have no chance against you without it! I was constantly ending that double reset in the corner with an EX throw since it seemed you were always terrified to move while it was going on.

cHaotix8

GGs, man. I don't understand how your defense is so nuts; I've never had to play like this before I've met you. Maybe finding my way against an opponent who's such a wall was one of my fundamental problems when playing this game. To even have a chance, I had to kind of adapt to how you played: calculated and really precise. Not really what I've been doing as Mika, haha.

Edit: And damn straight she does; I'd have no chance against you without it! I was constantly ending that double reset in the corner with an EX throw since it seemed you were always terrified to move while it was going on.

Haha, part of that was because I didn't really understand what her options are in a given situation or when the combo would end, lol. You did a good job of mixing it up so it was pretty rough for me after irish whip. I know she gets a meaty off ex peach and air throw, but nothing off command throws full screen, right?

You did good not going for the throw tech that often whenever I would go for blockstrings. Karin's throw game is pretty weak, so there's no real reason to ever be afraid of it unless you're in the corner. Makes it hard to open people up when you can't confirm off a low.

Really fun set, though! We need to run it again before I head of before NWM next week.

One thing you could do is post some of your matches in this thread so people could give you suggestions on what they see.
It's fucking reactions. I see people on stream walk-up throw all the time, whereas I'm getting slammed with jabs and dizzied on command after I miss one single block. Whereas I can't follow up a MK without them immediately counterattacking.

I try to go on the offensive, try to play footsies, shimmy, try to tech, and nothing fucking works. I have my combos down. I want to love this game so much but I can't figure out a fucking thing for the goddamned life of me and it's pissing me the hell off.

I'm gonna fucking sandbag in Ranked so I get out of bronze, I'm like 1-40 in this shit.

It's fucking reactions. I see people on stream walk-up throw all the time, whereas I'm getting slammed with jabs and dizzied on command after I miss one single block. Whereas I can't follow up a MK without them immediately counterattacking.

I try to go on the offensive, try to play footsies, try to tech, and nothing fucking works. I want to love this game so much but I can't figure out a fucking thing for the goddamned life of me and it's pissing me the hell off.

I'm gonna fucking sandbag in Ranked so I get out of bronze, I'm like 1-40 in this shit.
Which character do you use again?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
his old SF2 profile image (win quotes, char select)

chun-li-family-man-e.png

he had weird wide ass eyes

to be honest they all had kinda weird eyes

While that portrait is monstrously ugly, and his eyes are bizarrely wide, they are not big round circles. As his SF2 portrait evolved his brow became more pronounced and his eyes became narrower still. They did not capture that in SFV, at least in the screenshot in question.

FluxWaveZ

Haha, part of that was because I didn't really understand what her options are in a given situation or when the combo would end, lol. You did a good job of mixing it up so it was pretty rough for me after irish whip. I know she gets a meaty off ex peach and air throw, but nothing off command throws full screen, right?

You did good not going for the throw tech that often whenever I would go for blockstrings. Karin's throw game is pretty weak, so there's no real reason to ever be afraid of it unless you're in the corner. Makes it hard to open people up when you can't confirm off a low.

Really fun set, though! We need to run it again before I head of before NWM next week.

Essentially the choice between command grabs depends on whether you want the opponent to be in a place where Mika can continue her pressure (Brimstone) or the throw that does more damage and that also has more range (Typhoon). Good to hear I was unpredictable enough with rope throw follow-ups; I need to work on that more.

And yeah, I had to learn real quick to be very patient with Karin's block throws and stop being so scared of being thrown. Honestly, I was at a loss of when I should tech; it just keeps going and going. I really need to read up Karin's frame data, because it almost feels like V-triggered Laura: every time she touches me, I feel like my turn won't be coming for a long while. Meanwhile, you were teching pretty much 95% of the throws I was trying to do, which was crazy. I guess I was too predictable with those; I need to learn the shimmy, which you were pulling off against me regularly.

It was a fun and educational set. I felt like I was getting better with each passing match; I think my defense is way better now.

Renekton

I try to go on the offensive, try to play footsies, shimmy, try to tech, and nothing fucking works. I have my combos down. I want to love this game so much but I can't figure out a fucking thing for the goddamned life of me and it's pissing me the hell off.
I fking suck too. But one thing I can offer is we confuse reads = reactions.

If I am predictable or give up the neutral game, the opponent always seems to have better reactions.

Necalli seems hard as fuck to use in my opinion. The only time in successful with him is when I play way more slow and defensive. My footsy game with him is terrible. And people seem to constantly press buttons against him and since I'm not good enough with him to constantly crush counter, I have to rely on frame traps that I'm 100% positive will work.

I won't tell you not to use him, but he does seem difficult to use well. I'd try to pick up a second character that's easier while still working on Necalli.

Sorry, my Necalli knowledge isn't that great. He's the only character that I haven't played with extensively.

cHaotix8

When I'm having a bad streak I usually just take a break. No use trying to play when your mind isn't right. You play this game to have fun, right?

Essentially the choice between command grabs depends on whether you want the opponent to be in a place where Mika can continue her pressure (Brimstone) or the throw that does more damage and that also has more range (Typhoon). Good to hear I was unpredictable enough with rope throw follow-ups; I need to work on that more.

And yeah, I had to learn real quick to be very patient with Karin's block throws and stop being so scared of being thrown. Honestly, I was at a loss of when I should tech; it just keeps going and going. I really need to read up Karin's frame data, because it almost feels like V-triggered Laura: every time she touches me, I feel like my turn won't be coming for a long while. Meanwhile, you were teching pretty much 95% of the throws I was trying to do, which was crazy. I guess I was too predictable with those; I need to learn the shimmy, which you were pulling off against me regularly.

It was a fun and educational set. I felt like I was getting better with each passing match; I think my defense is way better now.

Ah, thanks, that's good to know. Gonna have to study up for next time.

Yeah, after two ticks Karin has to kind of take a risk if she wants to continue pressure, but you still have to respect her buttons to some extent. St short is +3 on block and +6 on counter hit, so she can kind of fish with it into cr mk. The best way to deal with it is to just walk back out of her pressure until she is pushed too far out of st lk range, then you have room to either challenge with button of your own or punish her walk up throw attempt on reaction. The only counter is for her to commit to a low, but nothing is really safe unless you spend meter or just go for a raw cr mk, which is -1 on hit and does like 50 damage, lol. Everytime I went for cr mk xx just frame tenko was a raw read, you can blow it up on block if you bait it since it's -10.

Edgeward

I don't know what rank your opponents are but some online people cannot be trained/conditioned or even understand concepts enough to be shimmied, etc. Most of those kinds have a few things in common. They don't have AAs, will push a button as soon as you are in range (especially with sweep), and they don't know how to deal with wakeup pressure. And they either abuse the shit out of throws or they don't throw at all. Figuring out what type of player they are is more important in lower ranks than the character because they don't know enough to worry about that shit,.

No use in setting up non-true block strings if they will mash buttons or dp. No use shimmying if they will just sweep or low forward on wakeup. Etc. etc. And they all have a go to panic move. Learn what it is and respond accordingly.

rec0ded1

Are you playing on a monitor or HD tv? Tried playing on my friend's tv that has like 150ms lag and got blown up until we switched to his pc monitor. Still got rocked but didnt feel like everyone was psychic.

Skilletor

If you want people to stop jabbing, you need to force them not to. Necalli's buttons are great and he has a ton of frame traps, so if you don't show people that you know them, they're going to keep pressing buttons. And if they're the type of player that just press buttons through everything, then you'll never get to set up your command throws and you should just frame trap them to death.

Neoxon

I've jumped back online after doing nothing but locals for the last three weeks & now I'm on a 12-game win streak. *knocks on wood*

watching some SF4 play and it's amazing how much more dust and smoke effects there are for everything. Jumping, dashing, falling, seismo, etc.

Kind of miss that effect, I liked it on things like Viper's dash punch.

Got tired of using legacy controller and rumors of dropped inputs, ordered a TES stick today. Decided against the $30 upcharge for the TE2+. it looks better but I don't see a reason for the extra cost.

Mr. X

People don't stop hitting buttons. Block and punish accordingly and apply small gap frame traps for counterhits.

People don't stop hitting buttons. Block and punish accordingly and apply small gap frame traps for counterhits.

yeah in a ranked match nobody respects your wakeup offense. It's just let it rip time.

Throws are much less of an option than a stream tournament where people are thinking much higher level.

my current bad habit is ending a block string with sweep. Sweeps are such a bad fucking idea in this game unless you're punishing a sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom