• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I really need to find local people in LA to play with. I desperately need to get past the "I'm sitting next to my opponent" jitters.

Every Wednesday at the ESports arena in Santa Ana is a really sweet fighting game event called Wednesday Night Fights. You should check it out.

Exr

I really need to find local people in LA to play with. I desperately need to get past the "I'm sitting next to my opponent" jitters.
Cali has a huge scene, check SRKs regional section. The jitters are a thing for everyone but when you start getting confident and youre able to feel fear or anxiety in people youre playing theres nothing like it.

Steroyd

Jaysus I haven't played online in ages and I get bodied by everyone and infuriatingly drop combo's left and right, also fuck Mika, I only know how to fight Ken's and Ryu's via muscle memory everyone else I need to re-learn, also did the matchmaking improve? I've been paired up with so many super bronzes consistantly no rookies or silvers at all in casual. o_O

Every Wednesday at the ESports arena in Santa Ana is a really sweet fighting game event called Wednesday Night Fights. You should check it out.

Getting to Santa Ana from LA Wednesday night would suck. I don't even want to go down there during the week and I live only 10 miles north of it. I would have to go after work though and I am not down with that I do in Anaheim which is about 5 miles away from it.

The 5 and the 57 are complete hell from 4-8pm during the week most of the time.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've got to find a way to get into Silver. The highest I've ever gone is Ultra bronze. Maybe I need to watch some replays...

Tripon

Yeah, really wish I could go. Problem is I work in the SF Valley, and getting down there would be hell.
Don's Arcade (really just a garage) meets every Friday for casuals from 7pm until 3am in Torrance/Carson.

It's $5, but you be able to play all night long if you want. Right now it's SFV and on cabs ST and 3S.

Don's Arcade (really just a garage) meets every Friday for casuals from 7pm until 3am in Torrance/Carson.

It's $5, but you be able to play all night long if you want. Right now it's SFV and on cabs ST and 3S.

I wish we had something like this over in Orange County. I always thought abut doing it eventually but don't know if I'd have the time and commitment to run one.

WTF dude. I just played a MIka who grabbed me out of my v-trigger (I mean v-reversal) twice in a row.

Nahs has THE WORST v-trigger (again I mean v-reversal) in the entire game. Straight garbage. Everybody else gets to knock you back but Nash gets grabbed out of his.

Someone purposely thought to make it vulnerable, as if his defense wasn't trash enough already.

I lost six times in a row today, but the last match was against a guy I outplayed as Ryu, and he didn't give me the runback. Still lost that streak, so I dunno why he didn't want to play again.

My execution is getting better, slowly. Playing VF and Gundam again are forcing me to get better with my neutral game, and I'm dropping Alex and Rashid for Laura, Ryu, and possibly Balrog once he drops.

And Urien, of course.

Producer

WTF dude. I just played a MIka who grabbed me out of my v-trigger twice in a row.

Nahs has THE WORST v-trigger in the entire game. Straight garbage. Everybody else gets to knock you back but Nash gets grabbed out of his.

Someone purposely thought to make it vulnerable, as if his defense wasn't trash enough already.

You are just salty my dude, nash vtrigger is super good. You probably just activated at bad times or the mika had the meaties on point. Or just blame it on the 8f lol

You are just salty my dude, nash vtrigger is super good. You probably just activated at bad times or the mika had the meaties on point. Or just blame it on the 8f lol
My bad I mean't V-REVERSAL. His v-trigger is cool. His v-reversal is more detriment than it is good against players who know how to grab you out of it.

I'm in the corner against The Grinder. My options are:

A) Sit and take the command grab into combo super ultra CA.

B) Jump and take the crush counter in to command grab ultra super CA.

C) V-Reversal into a grab and back into the corner to do it all over again while everyone else gets to knock her back for the escape.

Don't worry man, I got you covered. Just for the record though, I'm not posting this as a counter argument. Now that people are learning how to deal with Mika, she's not that braindead of a character anymore. You actually have to use strategy to beat opponents.

bf1db0cb.jpg

So your saying Mika is the Bastion of this game?

I wish there was a place with a decent group of people that didn't charge money. I already have the game and as many opponents as my heart desires online at home. I don't want to pay $5 to $15 a day in order to talk with someone while playing.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
WTF dude. I just played a MIka who grabbed me out of my v-trigger (I mean v-reversal) twice in a row.

Nahs has THE WORST v-trigger (again I mean v-reversal) in the entire game. Straight garbage. Everybody else gets to knock you back but Nash gets grabbed out of his.

Most V-Reversals can be thrown. I believe Vega and Cammy are the only real exceptions. Vega's V-Reversal is completely invincible until the very last frame (because he has literally no other invincible moves, not even his super). Cammy's V-Reversal is invincible from roughly the 5th frame onward, so you can only throw it if you guess and act preemptively.

Swarna

The contents of the interview don't give me any hope at all. Single player garbage is not gonna save this game, especially this far in. There is absolutely nothing about netcode or modernizing SF's online features for 2016, you know, the stuff that keeps your player base healthy.

Tripon

Getting on the 405 is the hard part for me though. I live right next to the 57 so the getting to the 405 is way out of the way for me.

Which part? I was driving from Fullerton to Long Beach twice a week for a year when I was doing two different teaching credential programs (long story, but I got accepted to both and decided to see if I could make it) and it took me about 45 minutes to drive from the 57 to the 22 to the 405.

Which part? I was driving from Fullerton to Long Beach twice a week for a year when I was doing two different teaching credential programs (long story, but I got accepted to both and decided to see if I could make it) and it took me about 45 minutes to drive from the 57 to the 22 to the 405.

I'm actually in Fullerton right now. Probably going to be going towards yorba linda/anaheim hills in a few years when I can save up enough for a house (this area is so expensive it's absolutely ridiculous).

Tripon

I'm actually in Fullerton right now. Probably going to be going towards yorba linda/anaheim hills in a few years when I can save up enough for a house (this area is so expensive it's absolutely ridiculous).

Tell me about it. Never going to be able to afford a house anyway in SoCal.

The contents of the interview don't give me any hope at all. Single player garbage is not gonna save this game, especially this far in. There is absolutely nothing about netcode or modernizing SF's online features for 2016, you know, the stuff that keeps your player base healthy.
Well if this game fails and there is a SFVI, I expect it to go back to the old method of a new game ever year, because of course they'll get the wrong message of what people are upset about.

My bad I mean't V-REVERSAL. His v-trigger is cool. His v-reversal is more detriment than it is good against players who know how to grab you out of it.

I'm in the corner against The Grinder. My options are:

A) Sit and take the command grab into combo super ultra CA.

B) Jump and take the crush counter in to command grab ultra super CA.

C) V-Reversal into a grab and back into the corner to do it all over again while everyone else gets to knock her back for the escape.

your problem is you got cornered with Nash against Mika, you deserve dealing with all that

your problem is you got cornered with Nash against Mika, you deserve dealing with all that

These kinds of answers are the dumbest responses anyone can give. Ok I'll avoid getting irish whipped into the corner by Mika. How do you do that by the way? The only way I know is by not playing the game.

Please impart your vast knowledge wise sir. I'm dead serious. How?

FluxWaveZ

These kinds of answers are the dumbest responses anyone can give. Ok I'll avoid getting irish whipped into the corner by Mika. How do you do that by the way? The only way I know is by not playing the game.

Please impart your vast knowledge wise sir. I'm dead serious. How?

By staying out of the range of the irish whip. Nash is one of the best characters to do that with while still applying pressure and is one of the worst MUs for Mika (not that she has many good ones in the first place).

Neoxon

So how long before we can expect mods of the remaining Wave 1 characters in Training Mode when the Cinematic Story Mode drops? I have a friend with the PC version & I could use the lab time with Urien.

By staying out of the range of the irish whip. Nash is one of the best characters to do that with while still applying pressure and is one of the worst MUs for Mika (not that she has many good ones in the first place).
I've seen Infiltration get caught by irish whip and beat in the corner by Mika. You mean to tell me that I can avoid it? Everyone playing this game will eventually get caught by irish whip. I'm not saying that I can't avoid most half assed attempts, I'm saying that nobody is perfect and will get caught every now and again or even often and when you do, if you're Nash, save your sanity, put the controller down and go get a sip of your beverage of choice while you wait for the round to end. He has nothing to get out.

FluxWaveZ

I've seen Infiltration get caught by irish whip and beat in the corner by Mika. You mean to tell me that I can avoid it? Everyone playing this game will eventually get caught by irish whip. I'm not saying that I can't avoid most half assed attempts, I'm saying that nobody is perfect and will get caught every now and again or even often and when you do, if you're Nash, save your sanity, put the controller down and go get a sip of your beverage of choice while you wait for the round to end. He has nothing to get out.

Well if that's your mindset, fine. The Nash MU would be a lot easier for me if other Nash players followed it.

Well if that's your mindset, fine. The Nash MU would be a lot easier for me if other Nash players followed it.

I respect what you say because I know you're good. You didn't say it but I just don't like people saying "just don't get caught". "you can avoid it" "you deserve it for getting in the corner" What kind of BS is that?

I just got grabbed out of my v-reversal twice in the corner against Mika and thrown back in. What else is there after that? Let me rock, paper scissor my way out of it and if I succeed I'll head down to the liquor store and get a lottery ticket while I'm at it because I'm obviously on a roll that day.

Edgeward

Did you v-reversal a light attack because that will happen. It's a way to counter the v-reversal, so that it's not a get out of jail free move.

Did you v-reversal a light attack because that will happen. It's a way to counter the v-reversal, so that it's not a get out of jail free move.

Yeah I believe it was.

Just off of that, now I feel some kind of small amount of hope that there is something concrete I can do.

Edzi

I respect what you say because I know you're good. You didn't say it but I just don't like people saying "just don't get caught". "you can avoid it" "you deserve it for getting in the corner" What kind of BS is that?

I just got grabbed out of my v-reversal twice in the corner against Mika and thrown back in. What else is there after that? Let me rock, paper scissor my way out of it and if I succeed I'll head down to the liquor store and get a lottery ticket while I'm at it because I'm obviously on a roll that day.

Honestly, that's just how she's designed. If she gets you in the corner, you have to play her guessing game.

At the tail end of my EX Moonsault she would do her v-reversal and stop me in my tracks every time. Is there a way to counter that before she can get it off?

It's not BS, that was my point.

If you are already cornered by Mika as Nash, you've already lost. Complaining about how shitty the guessing game is in that situation and how you have limited options is missing the point. You are supposed to be in a shitty situation at that point. You DO have limited options. You either guess right and survive or you guess wrong and lose.

Nash, probably more than any other character in the game, has all the tools necessary to keep Mika out. So the answer really is "just don't get caught". Of course eventually you will be caught and cornered, but there isn't amazing cure-all advice for that situation, especially for characters without invincible reversals. But that shouldn't be your priority. Your priority should be realizing you have a projectile, you have TONS of anti-air options, you have much better, longer range normals. If Mika isn't at half health before she even gets near you, you aren't doing your job as Nash.

At the tail end of my EX Moonsault she would do her v-reversal and stop me in my tracks every time. Is there a way to counter that before she can get it off?

Nothing you can do about it in that situation because a move like EX moonsault has too much recovery. You can only block her V Reversal if you use a move that recovers quicker like a deep jump in, light, or medium attack.

Shadoken

Its a mentally exhausting matchup , you need to be perfectly on point with your AAs and spacing.
Whatever you do , DO NOT get tempted to rush her down if you land few stray hits. Be patient and pick your spot when you have conditioned her to block some strings.

Be at your usual long range and force her to jump. Neutral jump when you see her charging her St.Hk. She cant do much against Sonic booms ( make sure to mixup the version) , apart from Slide which can be punished on reaction with MK Sonic Scythe.
Her F.MP clap move is utter BS , just dont be in the range of this normal when you are zoning. Srsly I try frame trapping or whiff punishing this move , it is simply not worth it. The risk/reward is just hugely in her favor. And it recovers so quickly.

If all else fails and she finally lands a hit on you ( Which is bound to happen , because Zoning in general is much harder to learn than Rushdown ).
Try this to get out of the corner or stop her offense.

a) V-reversal if you block some of her heavy normals , most Mikas do this as part of the Grab/Meaty mixup. If you have V-trigger , dont be afraid to blow it up. Just dont be obvious about it and use it as soon as you get it. Try it when she isnt right on your face or leaving more than 2f Gaps in her block string.

b) If you block her light normals , she can grab only after 1 hit ( you have to take this mixup , tough luck there). But After two hits she has to walk forward. Check this with Cr.LK->Cr.LP->Cr.MK and now she is very far from you. You can also risk jumping to cross up , if she has pushed you far enough . Just Do a block string and back away.

c) She isnt going to Command grab you every time because she takes the risk of you Neutral jumping and taking off Half her HP. So most Mikas will go for Block Strings and Frame traps , the command grab comes in once you are conditioned to block and respect her. You need to pay attention to her negative on block normals (F.MP,S.MK,C.HP) and take your turn. Do not let her get away with Mashing shit like St.MK twice. Her heavy normals like I said before can be V-reversald.

d) Not every grab or hit she lands is going to end up with a meaty/grab situation. If they are just randomly double dashing in , try to wake up Jab and check for non meaty setups. Mixing up Quick rise,late rise and back rise , makes it harder for them to consistently setup for meaty. Heck you might make them whiff a command grab and punish.

e) Its a pretty good idea to Stand block after an LP. She cant do much off her C.MK and her C.HK is a bit risky.( Again , if you repeatedly do this , she will go for Sweeps and such )
Bonus tip : Her throw if you are standing or crouching is different. It is better to eat the throw standing because that pushes you further away. Not allowing her to meaty. If you are crouching her normal throw puts you right next to her == more pressure.

Ultimately if you are in the corner , you ARE at the disadvantage in the guessing game. But your primary focus should be to Reset the game to neutral not get damage. Dont get greedy and you will see improvement.

Frame Data Knowledge is power , you will soon see that being in the corner it isn't as bad as Rock Paper Scissors all the time. Just like how when you Zone her , you make her play by your rules. In the corner you have to respect hers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom