• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Ever since the last service update, this game has become literally unplayable for me. I never had the problems of lagging and rollback before. Fuck everything.
Weird. Things have been going fine for me, & Vesper was able to get matches more consistently since the last maintenance.

mbpm1

tumblr_o8zfc3IzOt1qagop1o3_540.gif

tumblr_o8zfc3IzOt1qagop1o2_540.gif

Neoxon

Honestly man, Street Fighter 5 is IMO, the benchmark for 2D fighters made with a 3D engine and assets in regards to the animations. Ken's animations are just so damn fluid honestly.
All Ken needs now is for his face to be fixed. Everything else about him is on-point in terms of his design & animations.

And while yes, SFV is on top of its game as far as animations go, GGXrd did a great job with simulating the classic 2D Guilty Gear animations.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Die Alex Die

My best friend sent me this last night. A round of his Laura against a Gold Alex. It didn't end well for him. He texted me that Alex's damage output is a problem. As an Alex main, I completely disagreed.
As a Laura hater, I was quite happy, in fact.

Die Alex Die

My best friend sent me this last night. A round of his Laura against a Gold Alex. It didn't end well for him. He texted me that Alex's damage output is a problem. As an Alex main, I completely disagreed.
Playing a friend of mine who is currently maining Alex made me realize how much of a fraud he is he just has not adapted to SF5's more "honest" style of play as compared to SF4. He just crumbled when put under pressure, constantly blaming the character, the lack of good wakeup options, the lack of an invincible backdash.

Alex is one of the scariest characters in the game by far, arguably even scarier than Mika. Mika usually needs to carry you to the corner for her real strengths to start shining, Alex can just walk you to the corner by utilizing his chops, his great normals and his charge move. He's a legitimately dangerous threat even when you're not in the corner and don't even get me start on his oki.

He does suffer from a lot of the same problems as Mika and Laura though, which is absolute shit defense. On Wakeup, he pretty much has to block/tech/avoid the command grab instead of having some option to fall back to. He doesn't even have the advantage of a 3-frame jab which makes some character's much more stronger against him, like FANG for example.

His arrival really validated my season pass purchase, when I saw just how well they'd balanced a character that the public had never gotten their hands on.
Yeah whoever it was complaining about jab as an anti air the other day was telling the truth.

I just faced one of those players who just has their buttons on turbo and he set his Alex to jab. Half of my moves got stuffed, even if they weren't air attacks. MK Sonic Scythe got stuffed from a distance. Every single air attack got shut down and all he was doing was standing there jabbing.
Alex and FANG have the best AA jabs in the game, hands down. Ryu is actually a very close second.

Since we all know it's coming, I'll get it out of the way.
Stop jumping.

Yeah whoever it was complaining about jab as an anti air the other day was telling the truth.

I just faced one of those players who just has their buttons on turbo and he set his Alex to jab. Half of my moves got stuffed, even if they weren't air attacks. MK Sonic Scythe got stuffed from a distance. Every single air attack got shut down and all he was doing was standing there jabbing.

Neoxon

To be fair, Alex's jab isn't a 3-frame. And honestly, he needs the anti-air jab.

To be fair, Alex's jab isn't a 3-frame. And honestly, he needs the anti-air jab.
I'm not entirely sure about that tbh. His cr.hp (which has 3 different versions depending on the direction in which you're crouching) and his f.HP are pretty damn good as AAs. His DP motion kick move, that aerial knee is fairly good but I'm not gonna throw that in the debate since it's fairly rare to see that move done as a reactionary AA.

His AA jab is just icing on top of a very good cake.

Neoxon

I'm not entirely sure about that tbh. His cr.hp (which has 3 different versions depending on the direction in which you're crouching) and his f.HP are pretty damn good as AAs. His DP motion kick move, that aerial knee is fairly good but I'm not gonna throw that in the debate since it's fairly rare to see that move done as a reactionary AA.

His AA jab is just icing on top of a very good cake.
That's news to me.

As for Alex's AA options, doesn't his c.HP take a bit to start up?

That's news to me.

As for Alex's AA options, doesn't his c.HP take a bit to start up?
Yeah, the range on his cr.hp (and I believe, how much it moves him forward) changes with which direction you're holding while crouching. db.hp is the most reliable for anti airing while df.hp hits further. df.hp is kinda useless as an AA IMO, since f.hp also hits at around the same range, and f.hp can also CC which is nice.

I'll admit, his cr.hp is kinda slow so you need to be a bit fast about it and I'm entirely sure how the hurtbox on that move is but from my experience it's been a solid AA.

Most people just prefer to go for the jabs whenever possible though, since naturally it's a much more advantageous position for Alex.

Die Alex Die

I feel like a lot of that was on your friend though he slowly walked forward into cross up range when Alex jumped then on wake up he just slowly started to walk backwards. Then on the next wake up he was pressing buttons when Alex has a few options from that range and got caught with a boot. He played perfectly into Alex's game. Of course this is all in hindsight though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm creating lobbies for about 15 minutes now and the whole world is joining, but nobody from Europe lol. This game...

Made worse by people actually readying up with 3 bars or less.

Pompadour

They really upped their animation game for Street Fighter V. Chun-Li moves much more naturally in SFV compared to SFIV.

Also, whoever did Chun-Li's model deserves a raise.

The animations are the best thing in SFV by far. I fear that future DLC will cheap out and use shoddier animations.

Edzi

Yea, give me a sec to hop on

okay im on

Edgeward, you have one of the most infuriating playstyles ever. Makes me so impatient. lol

EDIT: GGs, though, I need to get better with my inputs and overall composure. I was able to keep up when I played patient, but that didn't last too long. Also gotta study up on Vega's frame data, since Alex's options seem incredibly limited in that matchup.

Edgeward

Edgeward, you have one of the most infuriating playstyles ever. Makes me so impatient. lol

EDIT: GGs, though, I need to get better with my inputs and overall composure. I was able to keep up when I played patient, but that didn't last too long. :p

Yea, well they say styles makes fights and your style just works to exactly the kind of play I like to do.

I knew your impatience would frustrate you into getting in regular habits like the rhythm of when you like to jump and when you would try to close the distance with elbow.

Missed a number of st hp combos and really could've taken advantage of certain things but oh well.

GGs, my dude

Edzi

Yea, well they say styles makes fights and your style just works to exactly the kind of play I like to do.

I knew your impatience would frustrate you into getting in regular habits like the rhythm of when you like to jump and when you would try to close the distance with elbow.

Missed a number of st hp combos and really could've taken advantage of certain things but oh well.

GGs, my dude

Yeah, I noticed you had me in a pattern once you started consistently neutral jumping my jump ins, but I was too stubborn to change it up. I also think I need to mix up which buttons I use in blockstrings, as well as trying to grab more. Your defense is really solid, and you're always ready to punish/confirm that that LK.

I'll get you one of these days though.

Edgeward

Yeah, I noticed you had me in a pattern once you started consistently neutral jumping my jump ins, but I was too stubborn to change it up. I also think I need to mix up which buttons I use in blockstrings, as well as trying to grab more.

I'll get you one of these days though.

Yea, once you branch out more of your strings and not always going for the safe string after a jump in you will have a lot more success. And get more comfortable with your throw ranges.

Edzi

Anyone want to fight?

GGs Flux. As weird as this sounds, despite only taking one match I'm actually pretty happy with that performance. Aside from the typical Mika shenanigans which I never really expected to beat, I felt like I was able to mentally keep track of what I was doing wrong in the matches. The main thing I couldn't really deal with was your hyper aggressive style of play and my general lack of knowing what I can punish with Alex. It seriously felt like you never held back/block, and my brain just couldn't keep up. Also, your reactions are amazing because I don't know how you're able to confirm the irish whip from a single hit every single time.

Also, is Mika's wakeup animation/timing different than other characters? I was getting wake-up jabbed out of my meaties way more than I'm used to.

FluxWaveZ

GGs, Edzi.

Also, is Mika's wakeup animation/timing different than other characters? I was getting wake-up jabbed out of my meaties way more than I'm used to.

I'm pretty sure pretty much every character's wakeup is slightly different. Birdie and Chun-Li's are pretty messed up for me; still gotta get used to them.

I'd work on your AA and throw teching a lot. I was jumping near you pretty much all the time because you would never answer it, so I felt safe just doing it over and over again. As Alex, that jab would shut down pretty much all of my aerial attempts. And I think my tick throws almost had a 100% success rate.

Speaking of SFV PC do you think that they might have a sale on it once story mode launches? I'd like to pick it up on PC and have $25 in Steam cards.

Neoxon

Somehow, they made SF5 Chun Li so much more elegant and less stubby-looking than SF4's.
As they should.

Hopefully Capcom provides me with a nice little birthday gift and announces the release date for Ibuki & the Cinematic Story Mode.
......please?
I'll also take a MvC4 announcement.
........or an announcement of an UMvC3 remaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom