• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csr

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208646647]Normally I only recommend this tech against characters where you can use the LK jaguar kick because it's safer, but having a level 2 mixup like this is good if you plan on using the meaty MK version.

even a lot of typical meaty normal setups can be punished with back recovery,[/QUOTE]

After h.scythe you can throw slow sonic boom and dash once for normal recovery and two times for back recovery on reaction for pressure.
You can also dash twice and do a meatie (or shimmy or whatever) on reaction to the recovery which is a hard ro react to in this instance but doable.
From my experience most good players mix their wake up even if they don't know nash's options very well.
There are many players though who don't mix their wake ups enough and this would be very good against them since there are very few setups against dps so i appreciate you sharing the setup.

After h.scythe you can throw slow sonic boom and dash once for normal recovery and two times for back recovery on reaction for pressure.
You can also dash twice and do a meatie (or shimmy or whatever) on reaction to the recovery which is a hard ro react to in this instance but doable.
From my experience most good players mix their wake up even if they don't know nash's options very well.
There are many players though who don't mix their wake ups enough and this would be very good against them since there are very few setups against dps so i appreciate you sharing the setup.

What I do after heavy Scythe is always dash twice, if they normal get up then I use Cr.MP, and if they back get up I use Cr.HP, I don't know if the Cr.HP is a true meatie however.

Csr

What I do after heavy Scythe is always dash twice, if they normal get up then I use Cr.MP, and if they back get up I use Cr.HP, I don't know if the Cr.HP is a true meatie however.

If you press immediately cr.hp it will whiff on back recovery, you have to delay it a little. It can be meatie with right timing.

KingBroly

Banned
It'd have been cool if they added one update a day for the entire week. Unfeasible? Yes. I hate updates coincided with marketing dates. You're done? Q&A checks out? Good. Release it.

Neoxon

It'd have been cool if they added one update a day for the entire week. Unfeasible? Yes. I hate updates coincided with marketing dates. You're done? Q&A checks out? Good. Release it.
But think of it this way, having a big update like the one we're getting in 2 days makes a bigger splash with the average joe than smaller individual updates. It's the equivalent of being slightly late with your paper, but you did enough extra credit to make up those lost points & then some.

Honestly though, isn't Ryu the best character in the game, hands down?

Every other character has short-comings to cover their great aspects.

Bison has shit defense but arguably the best normals in the game.

Chun-Li has fantastic normals, range and a comboable overhead in V-Trigger but her V-Reversal is trash, and her only truly invincible option costs at least 1 bar of meter and needs charge.

I can go on and on, but Ryu really doesn't have any weaknesses. He'a a jack of all trades, only Capcom forgot to make him master of none.

His normals, while not having much range, are mostly plus on block. His walk speed is terrific. His grab range is decent. His dashes are pretty good. He has a way to get through fireballs that doesn't involve throwing one of his own. His CA is a ranged attack so it can work in situations where other CAs might be useless. His fireball is definitely the second best fireball (In V-Trigger, it's the best). He has oki for days on end. His meaties are solid. He has an invincible reversal. A V-reversal that knocks-down on hit. A 3-frame light. And his damage output is the highest in the game (not taking into account V-Triggers).

I really don't see any reason why a person looking for top-tier characters wouldn't pick him, short of not being a fan of his playstyle.

EDIT: And we're not even touching the parry yet.

EDIT2: While I still stand by all the above, It should be noted that I am currently under the effects of salt.

Chun-Li has fantastic normals, range and a comboable overhead in V-Trigger but her V-Reversal is trash, and her only truly invincible option costs at least 1 bar of meter and needs charge.

I can go on and on, but Ryu really doesn't have any weaknesses. He'a a jack of all trades, only Capcom forgot to make him master of none.

His normals, while not having much range, are mostly plus on block. His walk speed is terrific. His grab range is decent. His dashes are pretty good. He has a way to get through fireballs that doesn't involve throwing one of his own. His CA is a ranged attack so it can work in situations where other CAs might be useless. His fireball is definitely the second best fireball (In V-Trigger, it's the best). He has oki for days on end. His meaties are solid. He has an invincible reversal. A V-reversal that knocks-down on hit. A 3-frame light. And his damage output is the highest in the game (not taking into account V-Triggers).

I really don't see any reason why a person looking for top-tier characters wouldn't pick him, short of not being a fan of his playstyle.

EDIT2: While I still stand by all the above, It should be noted that I am currently under the effects of salt.

- He’s not easy to play with at high level, because everyone knows how to play against a shoto. Ryu has to be strong, or he will be whack...

Only nerf he (and others) need right now is the AA jab that everyone keeps doing, it should be getting stuffed by jumping hard attacks.

- He’s not easy to play with at high level, because everyone knows how to play against a shoto. Ryu has to be strong, or he will be whack...

Only nerf he (and others) need right now is the AA jab that everyone keeps doing, it should be getting stuffed by jumping hard attacks.
And also fix that stupid j.lk

It's hideously good.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You forgot Ryu's jumping lk, which is maybe the best move to jump in with in the game. He also has amazing hitconfirmable meaties with many active frames that even hit twice with solar plexus and axe kick.

His backdash is also pretty good, because it leaves him in hit range. Maybe that's intended to be bad, but in this game it's actually really strong.

peter0611

Most players and tier lists have Ryu as a top 2 character, with only Chun-li ahead of him. I don't think it's unreasonable to just swap positions really.

No idea how to fight Dhalsim. AA jab too strong.
Never ever ever ever ever ever jump against Dhalsim in this game.

Best case, he slides out of there.
Worst case, he antiairs you and hits you with a meaty attack when you come down.

Try to get him on the offensive as he doesn't really have the tools to mount a proper offense against a big chunk of the cast.

Knowing which character you frequently use would help us give some matchup specific advice.

hamchan

Ryu probably is the best character right now, though he does share that tier with Chun and Nash because he's not overwhelmingly stronger than them really. Maybe Ken belongs up there too.

Skilletor

I'm glad people in this thread aren't balancing this game. Most people's suggestions read like, 'I want my character to have no flaws, fuck everybody else.'

I just noticed in that CPT footage, that when the versus match between Floe and Mike Ross ends, there are 5 options that pop up.

Play Again
Return to Character/Stage Select
Return to Battle Settings
Show Replay
Return to Main Menu

Perhaps there are some UI adjustments in this update as well? Or where these always the options that showed after a match in Versus?
Could you always save local replays? I missed that feature's absence in SF4 cuz it was in the home ports of SF3 and I liked that.

Grakl

Never ever ever ever ever ever jump against Dhalsim in this game.

Best case, he slides out of there.
Worst case, he antiairs you and hits you with a meaty attack when you come down.

Try to get him on the offensive as he doesn't really have the tools to mount a proper offense against a big chunk of the cast.

Knowing which character you frequently use would help us give some matchup specific advice.
Unless you're mika

BlizzKrut

Banned
Don't take things Ono says or shows too literally, he could just be drunk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I believe in we getting a trailer or an image like the S1 one at Capcom Cup, EVO is too soon, I believe we could be getting the Juri trailer at EVO with a release 1 week later.

Bizazedo

I play Bison. Forever and always :). But yeah, ran into a 10000 point Dhalsim and lost 1-3, 1-3, 0-3. He switched to an equally leveled Nash and Karin and I 3-0'd and 3-1'd him, but as I never fight Dhalsim, I floundered.

If anyone is around TONIGHT btw to rumble, I would like to.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Don't take things Ono says or shows too literally, he could just be drunk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I believe in we getting a trailer or an image like the S1 one at Capcom Cup, EVO is too soon, I believe we could be getting the Juri trailer at EVO with a release 1 week later.
I know he's said a bunch of BS over the years, but his SFV teases were mostly pretty direct and usually followed by some type of announcement pretty quickly.

Pompadour

I'm thinking we will get a character after Capcom Cup Grand Finals.

I think we will hear about Season 2 plans at Capcom Cup but I don't know if we will get any bonus characters this season.

I know he's said a bunch of BS over the years, but his SFV teases were mostly pretty direct and usually followed by some type of announcement pretty quickly.

It's hard to tell what's a tease and what isn't, he takes pictures with that Blanka toy all the time. The only time it's clear he's teasing is when he's taking cropped pics of new characters.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What was she like then?

- f.MK went twice as far and charged HK was harder to stuff (either had a better hitbox or more active frames). She got in for free.
- Her 3-frame jab could actually link into target combo and lead to real damage. The target combo itself was only -2 on block (instead of -5), so it was completely safe.
- V-Skill had much less recovery and gave 2x the damage boost it does now.

mbpm1

Ryu is the best.

Most other characters dream about being as complete as him

Does anyone know if you buy a digital copy on ps4 will it need to download over a disc based installation? Also will the save data be compatible as there are games which aren't iirc

Grakl

- f.MK went twice as far and charged HK was harder to stuff (either had a better hitbox or more active frames). She got in for free.
- Her 3-frame jab could actually link into target combo and lead to real damage. The target combo itself was only -2 on block (instead of -5), so it was completely safe.
Those are all hilarious tbh

Dolls profiles are currently being posted, but decapre isn't up yet.
dollsdolls_wall.jpg

BadWolf

I feel robbed.

mattp

I haven't played since dark souls 3 came out. are Alex and guile still free for me to get some bonus fight money, or did I miss my window?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom