• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompadour

He sounds like a Balrog/Dudley mix this time around, which has me interested. If he actually feels like he plays like a real boxer, I might actually consider maining him.

Yeah, I'm way more interested in Balrog now that he has some tricks, juggles, and more mobility. His playstyle was so weird in previous games considering he's supposed to be a boxer.

so basically for Balrog, we got exactly what Balrog should be:

Has good buttons, good rushdown, good damage, good speed. Maybe has good mixup but I'm still not sold on that, but its balrog so its all fundamentals.

I am kind of worried about his mixups personally it seems like it might be very predictable after enough experience against him. Especially since it seems like it is just KKB cancels. It would probably benefit reactionary players more than those playing the 50/50 game.

I could be wrong and I am waiting until I get hands of with him before I make a decision. Don't want this to turn into another "ALEX IS OP" "GUILE IS OP" situation again on day 1.

Edzi

I am kind of worried about his mixups personally it seems like it might be very predictable after enough experience against him. Especially since it seems like it is just KKB cancels. It would probably benefit reactionary players more than those playing the 50/50 game.

I could be wrong and I am waiting until I get hands of with him before I make a decision. Don't want this to turn into another "ALEX IS OP" "GUILE IS OP" situation again on day 1.

Wait, did people ever think Alex was OP? I remember him being thought of as low tier from the get go.

Wait, did people ever think Alex was OP? I remember him being thought of as low tier from the get go.
Offensive heroes are always considered OP at the start because people can get steamrolled by them. Remember Bison?

Even with the time that's been put to figuring him out, I'll still say that Alex has some of the most dangerous offense in the game.

Still not at all broken though, I'd say he's actually pretty balanced.

so basically for Balrog, we got exactly what Balrog should be:

Has good buttons, good rushdown, good damage, good speed. Maybe has good mixup but I'm still not sold on that, but its balrog so its all fundamentals.

He's got good okay ground mixups, but he's more about opening up the opponent from a variety of ranges & bullying his way in on the ground. He isn't mean to go to the air though - he doesn't even have a cross-up

He's got good okay ground mixups, but he's more about opening up the opponent from a variety of ranges & bullying his way in on the ground. He isn't mean to go to the air though - he doesn't even have a cross-up

I really hope his AA game is on point or else he's going to have a bad time.

Question.

Wouldn't Guile's V-Skill, FANG's trap and Laura's charged fireball be amazing in this matchup? (against Balrog, of course)

He dashes in, he gets hit, even the V-Skill cancel might not be so great if the projectile isn't moving at a fast pace like Ryu/Ken/Guile's fireball.

I'm actually thinking that boxer will have a lot of the same weaknesses that 'Sim has. Weaker anti-air game, weak against good zoning.

Yes, FANG's trap is going to be awesome against boxer. Just don't throw it out when you're opponent has meter, I guess.

I'm actually thinking that boxer will have a lot of the same weaknesses that 'Sim has. Weaker anti-air game, weak against good zoning.

Yes, FANG's trap is going to be awesome against boxer. Just don't throw it out when you're opponent has meter, I guess.

So pretty much the same as against Laura, Mika, Birdie and Alex, gotcha :D

MrCarter

I must say Capcom are actually being clever in how they are handling this update:

- Pre-loading the story (and perhaps the rest of the content within it) a couple days before release. This will ensure the servers aren't fucked with many people downloading on Friday.

- Holding off of the Steam/PC pre-load as they know those pesky PC modders will have all the content ready and waiting on YouTube before you could even say your name.

JayEH

I must say Capcom are actually being clever in how they are handling this update:

- Pre-loading the story (and perhaps the rest of the content within it) a couple days before release. This will ensure the servers aren't fucked with many people downloading on Friday.

- Holding off of the Steam/PC pre-load as they know those pesky PC modders will have all the content ready and waiting on YouTube before you could even say your name.

I also wouldn't put it past capcom that they accidentally put it up early on PSN.

SSReborn

I mean if it was intentionally a preload I think it would available in more regions no?

MrCarter

I also wouldn't put it past capcom that they accidentally put it up early on PSN.

I think that's the whole point of the pre-load. You download the update/game early and when the time is right they flick the switch. That's why I presume there is a countdown till Friday when you go to select the new content.

Momentary

Banned
So what's being put in place for rage quitters? I wish Capcom would just let you finish out matches if the other person disconnects and just give you the points you earned.

Just had another coward named GrandMaster_M quit on me. I'm still stuck at Super Silver because I don't play that much anymore and almost every match I'm about to win in people quit and then the next match I lose.

I always know when someone is about to quit. They are 2 or 3 ranks above me and they suck. Sometimes you get the ones that are super salty about losing to a lower rank and rematch then rage quit in the end.

These are the same people that throw fits at tournaments and jump off and turn off consoles and what have you. I don't know if that sort of thing still happens in the tournament scene since I haven't gone to one in about 7 years.

Edzi

So what's being put in place for rage quitters? I wish Capcom would just let you finish out matches if the other person disconnects and just give you the points you earned.

Just had another coward named GrandMaster_M quit on me. I'm still stuck at Super Silver because I don't play that much anymore and almost every match I'm about to win in people quit and then the next match I lose.

I always know when someone is about to quit. They are 2 or 3 ranks above me and they suck. Sometimes you get the ones that are super salty about losing to a lower rank and rematch then rage quit in the end.

These are the same people that throw fits at tournaments and jump off and turn off consoles and what have you. I don't know if that sort of thing still happens in the tournament scene since I haven't gone to one in about 7 years.

I haven't heard any new plans for the RQ solution, so we're probably still stuck with the lame punishment they implemented earlier. I don't really understand what's stopping them from just checking which player is still logged in after a disconnected match and giving/taking away points based on that.

I think that's the whole point of the pre-load. You download the update/game early and when the time is right they flick the switch. That's why I presume there is a countdown till Friday when you go to select the new content.

Wait did I not update my game correctly? Where's this countdown?

Durden77

Oh sweet, just saw stage variations are cheaper than brand new stages. That's awesome. Thought they were going to be the same price.

I should be able to get all the new stages and variations no problem then now because I have the season pass. Sweet.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I would presume the option for the new content won't even show up until the in-app update occurs on Friday.

I really hope his AA game is on point or else he's going to have a bad time.

Balrog doesnt have a jab AA, but he does have a fantastic AA normal that he has always had. I think it's cr. Or st. Mp/HP. You just gotta make sure you get your timing down.

In fact, that's sort of the balance with Balrog. You have to know when to jump in on him. Neutral jump really screws up his dash punch offense - I noticed Combofiend kept neutral jump punishing Floe for free whenever he kept trying to bully him with dash punches.

Quesa

I love how Capcom's rep is so poor w/r/t SFV that for a short while we all assumed a pre-load was another bumbling leak. "Here they go again!"

Steroyd

I love how Capcom's rep is so poor w/r/t SFV that for a short while we all assumed a pre-load was another bumbling leak. "Here they go again!"

To be fair, they did dun fuck up when they gave us the Alex update which got modded out of the ass, which probably explains no Steam update yet (?).

Durden77

Jesus Balrog's theme makes my mouth foam. It actually sounds right. Fitting for a mean, money driven thug. Before it's always sounded a little too weirdly inspirational almost. I actually liked the way SF4's version was going with it, but this just destroys it.

I really hope this game's soundtrack doesn't get thrown under the radar when it comes GOTY time. The people behind it deserve insane credit. It's one of if not the best soundtrack of the year, and just keeps getting better. It's definitely my favorite soundtrack so far.

HardRojo

I'm sure PC people will be able to use Juri and Urien in training mode thanks to mods. I wish I had a PC capable of running SFV :( I need some lab time with Urien.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom