• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcf x2

She doesn't have an answer to fireballs without super on reaction. She has to resort to spin knuckle or jumping. Both can be baited and punished on reaction for big damage. Her footsie game is strong but not good enough to deal with Ryu when you factor in fireballs in combination with his strong normals. Her low health combined with Ryu's high damage output and her having to take bigger risks to get damage gives Ryu the advantage imo, though I'd say it's 6:4 his favor at the worst.

It feels like 6:4 on the dot to me but imo her worst is Ken, that's closer to 7:3 in my experience. His dps are better than Ryu's, his anti airs absolutely destroy her, he has easy/high stun + dmg confirms including from lights, that dash, he has a better dive kick and... I need an adult. You really, really, really have to get max damage from your blocked DP punishes to even have a chance. If not? Enjoy losing in 2 combos.

It feels like 6:4 on the dot to me but imo her worst is Ken, that's closer to 7:3 in my experience. His dps are better than Ryu's, his anti airs absolutely destroy her, he has easy/high stun + dmg confirms including from lights, that dash, he has a better dive kick and... I need an adult. You really, really, really have to get max damage from your blocked DP punishes to even have a chance. If not? Enjoy losing in 2 combos.

Kens just a better version of ryu

petran79

Banned
Finally I decided to buy and invest time in the game and played some matches online against a decent Ken player, using Laura.

This game feels like a mix of SFIV and SFxTekken really, though it leans more to the former. A lot of SFIV tactics still apply. Overheads are even stronger here. Cammy even automatically changes direction in her moves, like Quick Spin Knuckle. I wonder why I read complaints from SFIV players. They can still feel at home with that game.

Kens just a better version of ryu
Pshhh...Ken is not better than Ryu brah. His normals beat all of Ken’s, like literally. He is more basic, and less momentum base, but he’s overall a better character with less weaknesses, probably not by much, but he is better. Ryu can apply pressure a lot more safely than Ken can, which is pretty important when two opponents are evenly matched and at high level play. His damage output is also equal to Ken’s with easier combos.

Btw-anyone want to do some quick sets? I’m tired of Ranked?

Under CFN ElisJah

Finally I decided to buy and invest time in the game and played some matches online against a decent Ken player, using Laura.

This game feels like a mix of SFIV and SFxTekken really, though it leans more to the former. A lot of SFIV tactics still apply. Overheads are even stronger here. Cammy even automatically changes direction in her moves, like Quick Spin Knuckle. I wonder why I read complaints from SFIV players. They can still feel at home with that game.
I think the fact that option selects are now not considered to be a part of the game coupled with the more uniqueness of characters(i.e every character now has much more pronounced strengths and weaknesses because of the V-Trigger system) can make some SF4 lovers not feel particularly at home with this game.

SephLuis

Pshhh...Ken is not better than Ryu brah. His normals beat all of Ken’s, like literally. He is more basic, and less momentum base, but he’s overall a better character with less weaknesses.

Under CFN ElisJah

I can join you, if you can wait about 10 minutes

My internet has been acting up today, so I will reset the modem and pray that it's enough.

Pshhh...Ken is not better than Ryu brah. His normals beat all of Ken’s, like literally. He is more basic, and less momentum base, but he’s overall a better character with less weaknesses, probably not by much, but he is better. Ryu can apply pressure a lot more safely than Ken can, which is pretty important when two opponents are evenly matched and at high level play. His damage output is also equal to Ken’s with easier combos.

Under CFN ElisJah

His damage is lower than kens and his combos certainly arent easier. Kens sprint makes pretty much any move into a dragon punch juggle for 30% life bar damage

and his hurricane kick at least has some utility. Ryus is without a doubt the most useless special move in the game

His damage is lower than kens and his combos certainly arent easier. Kens sprint makes pretty much any move into a dragon punch juggle for 30% life bar damage
Ryu definitely does more damage than Ken but Ken makes up for it with much more varied normals and generally more mobility and options as compared to Ryu.

It’s less quirky and “cheap” stuff than SF4 though, very fundamental based game now without invincible backdash and FADC out of trouble for safe invincible moves. Damage is also really high, so you have to commit to things and not just go “freestyle” mode and keep trying the same thing over and over again because the third time “it’ll work!” lol.

Also, there’s no character that can spam, anything really without getting punished. Capcom made things that hurt unsafe on block pretty universally, even Dive Kick can’t be spammed. Even if your defense is subpar, you still have V-reversal and back dash to reset situations. Think about how many characters play style is essentially eliminated now.

el Fuete
Ibuki
Twins
C.Viper (Especially early on when her burn kick was even more spammable)
Rufus
Akuma
etc...

When/if these characters return, they will play completely different now.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
It’s less quirky and “cheap” stuff than SF4 though, very fundamental based game now without invincible backdash and FADC out of trouble for safe invincible moves. Damage is also really high, so you have to commit to things and not just go “freestyle” mode and keep trying the same thing over and over again because the third time “it’ll work!” lol.

Also, there’s no character that can spam, anything really without getting punished. Capcom made things that hurt unsafe on block pretty universally, even Dive Kick can’t be spammed. Even if your defense is subpar, you still have V-reversal and back dash to reset situations. Think about how many characters play style is essentially eliminated now.

el Fuete
Ibuki
Twins
Rufus
Akuma
etc...

I expect more 3S Ibuki than U4 Ibuki.

and his hurricane kick at least has some utility. Ryus is without a doubt the most useless special move in the game
Dude, play some stronger Ryu’s...lol, Ryu can take off a chuck of health with a CC just like Ken, and his CA is easier to land. His combos are more “simple” compared to Ken. Execution is pretty much the same, but Ryu hits hard with less hits, so many players will likely find it easier.

Ryu’s tastu goes through FB, and is a great combo ender as it sets up meaties on wake-up. I’m not saying he’s better than Ken in all aspects or anything, Ken has a better DP, stronger pressure, etc...but Ryu generally has much less weaknesses. Japan even puts him like # 1 over Chun atm...

No, I really appreciated the compliment, I was just poking fun lol. Should've put "Jk" at the end I guess.
I suppose lol.

Man, sometimes I wish I lived in the US so I could play you guys :( Got some good competition here too but it's not particularly varied. Online matchmaking being busted doesn't help me either.

Dude, play some stronger Ryu’s...lol, Ryu can take off a chuck of health with a CC just like Ken, and his CA is easier to land. His combos are more “simple” compared to Ken. Execution is pretty much the same, but Ryu hits hard with less hits, so many players will likely find it easier.

Ryu’s tastu goes through FB, and is a great combo ender as it sets up meaties on wake-up. I’m not saying he’s better than Ken in all aspects or anything, Ken has a better DP, stronger pressure, etc...but Ryu generally has much less weaknesses. Japan even puts him like # 1 over Chun atm...

by japan you mean 1 single player? so hurricane lick goes through fireballs, and ends a combo? its not even the best option against fireballs and ryu has better combo enders. in your opinion, whats a special move in the game with less utility than ryus hurricane kick?

el Fuete
Ibuki
Twins
Rufus
Akuma
etc...

cant agree with that at all

Xeteh

el Fuete
Ibuki
Twins
Rufus
Akuma
etc...

Yeah, we'll see once Ibuki comes out how much things changed. Its gonna be interesting.

by japan you mean 1 single player? so hurricane lick goes through fireballs, and ends a combo? its not even the best option against fireballs and ryu has better combo enders. in your opinion, whats a special move in the game with less utility than ryus hurricane kick?

cant agree with that at all
lol...Japan ranks him as the strongest character in the game.

and who can spam something?

chun li is of course the worst offender. almost every move she has is spammable with almost zero risk and no punish on block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBwZEnZzt1o

then you have cammy, bison, karin, necali, vega and rashid
That's ..... uhhh........ pretty wrong. Literally every character you mentioned has moves that can get punished on block, some pretty heavily (DPs) and some fairly easily (rashid's kick,vega's roll).

EDIT: Heck even Chun-LI's Spinning Bird Kick and Non EX legs can get easily punished on block. That's why pros so rarely go for regular legs, almost always prefer the EX version or go for air legs.

That's ..... uhhh........ pretty wrong. Literally every character you mentioned has moves that can get punished on block, some pretty heavily (DPs) and some fairly easily (rashid's kick,vega's roll).

EDIT: Heck even Chun-LI's Spinning Bird Kick and Non EX legs can get easily punished on block. That's why pros so rarely go for regular legs, almost always prefer the EX version or go for air legs.

you should probably go teach daigo how to punish it then, because nothing he tried worked. yes those characters have like 1 or 2 moves that can be punished. they have more than can not be and are spammable with no disadvantage on block.

Vice

you should probably go teach daigo how to punish it then, because nothing he tried worked. yes those characters have like 1 or 2 moves that can be punished. they have more than can not be and are spammable with no disadvantage on block.

The punish timing for a lot of moves in SFV is weird. Like you have to press the button before you think you should in terms of where the animation is. But, Ryu can definitely punish blocked lightning legs. Even Laura can with her stubby crouching medium punch. I think Ryu can DP, stand LK, stand LP, and standing mediium punch on block for most of Chun's non-ex specials.

cHaotix8

The most spamable move in the game is chun instant air legs and even that isn't terribly bad. Mika clap is up there too but it's at least -2, though I wish it had more recovery on whiff. This game is pretty tame for the most part.

The punish timing for a lot of moves in SFV is weird. Like you have to press the button before you think you should int erms of where the animation is. But, Ryu can definitely punish blocked lightning legs. Even Laura can with her stubby crouching medium punch.

ok then, whats the timing for punsihing say... bisons double knee press after blocking? a 2nd question, other than a dragon punch, how can ryu break the endless loop of double knee press > normal > double knee press > normal etc

if chun li is so easily punishable and not spammable, what should daigo have been doing differently in that video?

chun li is of course the worst offender. almost every move she has is spammable with almost zero risk and no punish on block.

He said moves that hurt. Chun Li's legs don't even do that much damage and even that is unsafe.

The rest is just lol

I'm not even sure why I'm replying to you since you have a history of showing up every once in a while to complain about the same thing, ignore points that people make, and then leave.

qcf x2

Ryu and Ken are pretty evenly balanced (as are the other characters). The main difference is if he wants to Ryu can sit back while you run into meaties, whereas Ken is going to rush you down. Cammy against a rush down character is a recipe for disaster, especially since her V-reversal is mediocre at best. She really has no "get me outta here" strategy, so when that stun starts building your best defense is probably offense (poke their dash and hope your reflexes are strong enough that you can confirm into a knockdown and avoid a reversal dp).

What probably hurts her the most in that matchup (and vs Ryu to a lesser extent) is her standing HK sucks butt against grounded opponents.

Zissou

Ryu and Ken are pretty evenly balanced (as are the other characters). The main difference is if he wants to Ryu can sit back while you run into meaties, whereas Ken is going to rush you down. Cammy against a rush down character is a recipe for disaster, especially since her V-reversal is mediocre at best. She really has no "get me outta here" strategy, so when that stun starts building your best defense is probably offense (poke their dash and hope your reflexes are strong enough that you can confirm into a knockdown and avoid a reversal dp).

What probably hurts her the most in that matchup (and vs Ryu to a lesser extent) is her standing HK sucks butt against grounded opponents.

'run into meaties'??

Mediking

Since I bet Capcom is never gonna use Cody again... why not give Cammy... a knife projectile? That would be nice, Capcom ;_;

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
All she needs is her legs
Spiral arrow is and cannon spike are projectiles?
What's next, is tiger buckshot gonna be a projectile?
Cgsr0KGWgAE4HuI.jpg

Training a friend of mine, and I just randomly picked mika to give him some matchup experience (even though this was the first time I'd use her).

And, she's actually pretty....fun >_>

Only EX legs is safe on block and that leaves her -2 which means the opponent has the advantage (if it was -3 she can be jab punished if she was close enough but it is slightly too fast). Nuki is landing them a lot because they are going through Daigo's fireballs and he is spacing it so it can beat Daigo's counterpokes since it does a good job moving her forward. It takes a bar so it's important to keep in mind when she has it but you also have to remember she needs a bar for her only invincible move, so if they burn it too carelessly they can be in some trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom