• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only EX legs is safe on block and that leaves her -2 which means the opponent has the advantage (if it was -3 she can be jab punished if she was close enough but it is slightly too fast). Nuki is landing them a lot because they are going through Daigo's fireballs and he is spacing it so it can beat Daigo's counterpokes since it does a good job moving her forward. It takes a bar so it's important to keep in mind when she has it but you also have to remember she needs a bar for her only invincible move, so if they burn it too carelessly they can be in some trouble.

chun lis god mode normals ensure she always has ex meter

chun lis god mode normals ensure she always has ex meter

You only build meters off normals only if they actually land on hit or against a block. If you are trying to counterpoke limbs and that is happening, you are doing it wrong in this case. Daigo won that set, you can see how he adapts to it. Also her longer range pokes like st.HP and st.HK leave her negative on block, you have the frame advantage if you block them.

Spiral arrow is and cannon spike are projectiles?
What's next, is tiger buckshot gonna be a projectile?
Cgsr0KGWgAE4HuI.jpg
Lmao I wanna watch this.

Trickster

Dunno why people rank Alex as one of the worst characters in the game. Dude seems like an unstoppable beast to me whenever I fight a good player using him. Like, he has huge dmg, huuuuuuuge stun, insane range, crazy speed and his combo ender that also double as as "charge" move is safe on block. I just feel like I can only win if the Alex fucks up badly on his part.

Dunno why people rank Alex as one of the worst characters in the game. Dude seems like an unstoppable beast to me whenever I fight a good player using him. Like, he has huge dmg, huuuuuuuge stun, insane range, crazy speed and his combo ender that also double as as "charge" move is safe on block. I just feel like I can only win if the Alex fucks up badly on his part.
He's just new...everyone new is weak

You only build meters off normals only if they actually land on hit or against a block. If you are trying to counterpoke limbs and that is happening, you are doing it wrong in this case. Daigo won that set, you can see how he adapts to it. Also her longer range pokes like st.HP and st.HK leave her negative on block, you have the frame advantage if you block them.

you cant punish that actually because ryu has no range

hes only good v characters with shitty normals

Personally I feel like it's way too easy to keep Alex out, particularly if you have a character that's good at zoning. Once he gets in, he can absolutely wreck face but against certain matchups, just getting in can be a bit tough.

Xeteh

He seems awesome. I want to see more people play him, watching him when he's on the offensive is so much fun.

Zangief is lowest tier, Alex is good..

you cant punish that actually because ryu has no range

No, no one can punish them on block, but I said you have frame advantage, it's your turn to do something. These normals also have longer startup than SF4, in that video you linked between Daigo and Nuki, you can even see Daigo land a jump in on Nuki's st.HP. You also see him stuff instant air legs a few times in a row. You posted a video that has answers to some of your problems, you're not really trying to learn with this attitude.

Trickster

Personally I feel like it's way too easy to keep Alex out, particularly if you have a character that's good at zoning. Once he gets in, he can absolutely wreck face but against certain matchups, just getting in can be a bit tough.

It seems like his full screen charge special to close distance super fast would be good to catch a zoner though. But I've only dabbled with Mika, Cammy and Necalli so far so I'm not really in a position to judge from that aspect.

qcf x2

Has a Chun player even won a major yet?

The more talented players aren't using her, but I think she's really good. Just really boring.

As long as he has enough meter for EX elbow, he's getting in. He feels like a better, more agile Birdie, at the cost of raw damage.

It seems like his full screen charge special to close distance super fast would be good to catch a zoner though. But I've only dabbled with Mika, Cammy and Necalli so far so I'm not really in a position to judge from that aspect.
His B+F won't really work against any good zoner (unless he uses the EX version) and his d+u k and d+u.p are really predictable and can get dealt with.

Sometimes zoners can just switch up their moves to bait out that charge move. That heavy version of the b+f charge move is punishable.
As long as he has enough meter for EX elbow, he's getting in. He feels like a better, more agile Birdie, at the cost of raw damage.
But similar to Laura, when I know that he has that meter to work through my fireballs/ traps (as FANG) I'm either not going to do them as much or be mentally prepared for them. And Alex's EX one can be punished very heavily, probably even with a heavy normal.

Mediking

So let's share stuff we've learned as being mains for characters:

The biggest thing I learned by being a Cammy main is to NOT do a Spiral Arrow when I want to but when I don't want to. Everytime it looks like its a good time to do a Spiral Arrow... its actually a bad time because I almost always get punished. Now I throw out Spiral Arrows when I feel like I shouldn't and I usually hit who I'm facing.

I love her V-Trigger. It can be a game changer. It's another move of Cammy's that I should do when I feel like I shouldn't do it. The more random the V-Trigger... the better it is.

NEVER JUMP... especially against Nash.

Don't rely on Hooligan Combination so much. I can't help it though. I love that move so much.

Don't let Ken players bully me into a corner.

Don't let Karin players have better spacing than me.

Don't let Ryu players go Hadoken crazy even though they're gonna do it anyway.

Hmmm... I'm thinking of more...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

He is only one of the worst characters when I use him in that I am trash with him. *sobs uncontrollably*

Mediking

I can't fight Ryu to save my life. Anyone got any advice as a Laura main in that mu besides V-Reversal everything and pray?

You're playing as Laura, right? You have a projectile, man. Use it against Ryu. Make the other guy frustrated then hit Ryu where it hurts.

cHaotix8

I think the problem with Alex is that it's really hard for him to get in. Once he IS in, he only gets one shot at keeping his momentum going. If he guesses wrong, then he has to work to get in all over again. His footsie tools are okay but they don't really help him close in on his opponents.

FluxWaveZ

I think the problem with Alex is that it's really hard for him to get in. Once he IS in, he only gets one shot at keeping his momentum going. If he guesses wrong, then he has to work to get in all over again. His footsie tools are okay but they don't really help him close in on his opponents.

That's pretty much Mika too, though. People like to focus so much on her craziness once she gets up close, but they never pay attention to just how hellish it can be for a Mika to even get to that point.

Edit: Oh shit, you're the Karin that's in here! This lobby is going to be hell.

Wallach

But similar to Laura, when I know that he has that meter to work through my fireballs/ traps (as FANG) I'm either not going to do them as much or be mentally prepared for them. And Alex's EX one can be punished very heavily, probably even with a heavy normal.

It's like -10 on block. You can though try to get them to block an EX stomp which leaves Alex +2 and can't get blown up by EX projectiles.

Astrael

The lobby was fun last time so I wish I could play with you all but have class in half an hour. Just getting in some time in the training room so I can spend a little less time on my inputs and focus more on what is actually happening in the match.

I know normal Ressenha is Karin's least safe move overall, but I'm curious why a lot of top level Karins avoid using it in the case of projectile spam ticking away her health. It seems pretty easy to react to an attempt at a fireball or sonic boom especially at neutral or far ranges and not whiff the punish.

FluxWaveZ

Mika has much stronger tools to get in though and way better anti air options. Her primary hit confirm combo also puts them in the corner and her mixup is much stronger.

That's true for her BnBs and her mixup tools, but does she really have better approach options and AA?

Steroyd

The biggest thing I learned by being a Cammy main is to NOT do a Spiral Arrow when I want to but when I don't want to. Everytime it looks like its a good time to do a Spiral Arrow... its actually a bad time because I almost always get punished. Now I throw out Spiral Arrows when I feel like I shouldn't and I usually hit who I'm facing.

I love her V-Trigger. It can be a game changer. It's another move of Cammy's that I should do when I feel like I shouldn't do it. The more random the V-Trigger... the better it is.

Don't rely on Hooligan Combination so much. I can't help it though. I love that move so much.

EX Hooligan scares the shit out of opponents, always throw one at a random time in a match, bonus points for full screen.

Jumping in with HP instead of HK is ridiculously better, it's a game changer to me when I found out how much better the hit box is.

NEVER FUCKING USE CR.HK EVER, that move only exists for Heavy canon spike at the end of a combo and no more.

Cammy can V trigger about 3 times in a match if you pay attention to your gauge enough... or don't get ken combo'd.

If you activate your V trigger over an opponent and they're still pushing buttons on wake up, they some crazy ass motherfuckers.

You can go into a canon spike before Cammy finishes saying spiral arrow on a whiff, good for catching people off guard if they neutral jump.

Cancelling into hooligan from st.hp will be a thing, I will make it a thing.

Can anyone here with knowledge of fight sticks help me out?

Converting from pad to stick, I always hated the huge dead zone with my current stick. I have my sights set on a Seimitsu LS-56-01 to replace the stock Sanwa in my Madcatz TE stick. This is the one that came out around when SFIV launched.

The issue is that I'm not sure if I'll need an MS mounting plate or an SS P40. I'm leaning towards the SS P40 from a video I saw on Youtube but I'd like a second opinion before I pull the trigger.

I'm also assuming I won't need to buy a new stick harness. I read online where someone said that they simply flipped it around to fit their Seimitsu LS-56-01.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Can anyone here with knowledge of fight sticks help me out?

Converting from pad to stick, I always hated the huge dead zone with my current stick. I have my sights set on a Seimitsu LS-56-01 to replace the stock Sanwa in my Madcatz TE stick. This is the one that came out around when SFIV launched.

The issue is that I'm not sure if I'll need an MS mounting plate or an SS P40. I'm leaning towards the SS P40 from a video I saw on Youtube but I'd like a second opinion before I pull the trigger.

I'm also assuming I won't need to buy a new stick harness. I read online where someone said that they simply flipped it around to fit their Seimitsu LS-56-01.

You're better off asking in the stick thread.

qcf x2

Here's as much of my Cammy tips and tricks as I'm willing to publicly divulge:

1. Incorporate her j lk, it makes everything else possible.
2. Don't let players ever get away with jumping any closer than 2/3 screen distance away, ever. St hk is probably the best mid range (read: jumping to close distance but just out of attack range) AA in the game, and b mp is even better for jump ins that are in range to land.
3. Throw more than you would with other characters. She doesn't have an overhead, so Jump/low/throw is your mixup.
4. cr hp is excellent but frequently misused. People use it to poke... what? Use it to punish.
5. Crouch block more than you would with other characters. Health is important and it's better to eat the weak overhead or throw damage than to chance taking a big combo or even a knockdown. Also you can blow up cross ups sometimes by crouching.
6. Know your max damage combos and practice them. This is especially important with her.

His B+F won't really work against any good zoner (unless he uses the EX version) and his d+u k and d+u.p are really predictable and can get dealt with.

Sometimes zoners can just switch up their moves to bait out that charge move. That heavy version of the b+f charge move is punishable.

I meant as far as punishing stuff (fireball/ryubenda in your case) from afar, not just to teleport. I think EX stomp is safer on block than elbow in the case of burning meter to close the gap (also you can vary the distance to make it safe on whiff).

That's true for her BnBs and her mixup tools, but does she really have better approach options and AA?

Definitely better AA (cr mp and WAP), approach options is debatable since Alex can get full screen and destroy projectile zoning when he has meter and/or V-trigger, but Mika has the charged HK, speed overall and some crafty normals like f + mk, cr hp, sweep, etc to close smaller distances.

SephLuis

Seph I can tell you are from another section of the globe lol...like playing through peanut butter.

It's all good tell, I can tell ur good

I actually fell bad because everyone is much better than me now.

A friend just told me about shimmy and I keep falling for it. It will take a good while to kill this bad habit of mine. Still, I am learning a lot just by watching and when I can play. I need to adjust myself now toi stop falling for it and actually using the tactic.

Xeteh

Here's as much of my Cammy tips and tricks as I'm willing to publicly divulge:

1. Incorporate her j lk, it makes everything else possible.
2. Don't let players ever get away with jumping any closer than 2/3 screen distance away, ever. St hk is probably the best mid range (read: jumping to close distance but just out of attack range) AA in the game, and b hp is even better for jump ins that are in range to land.
3. Throw more than you would with other characters. She doesn't have an overhead, so Jump/low/throw is your mixup.
4. cr hp is excellent but frequently misused. People use it to poke... what? Use it to punish.
5. Crouch block more than you would with other characters. Health is important and it's better to eat the weak overhead or throw damage than to chance taking a big combo or even a knockdown. Also you can blow up cross ups sometimes by crouching.
6. Know your max damage combos and practice them. This is especially important with her.

I think you mean b.mp.

Awesome advice though!

qcf x2

Yeah, I use it more than I use Can of Sprites to AA because my reactions are slow and the b.mp is a far easier input to mash out once I see the jump.

My dragon punch game is awful so I really only use spike as a combo ender or an interrupter, plus you get that sweet reset from b mp.

Xeteh

My dragon punch game is awful so I really only use spike as a combo ender or an interrupter, plus you get that sweet reset from b mp.

Yeah, ditto. I've been learning the cross under resets with the ex cannon spike divekicks, its fun. It makes me feel like I know what I'm doing

I actually fell bad because everyone is much better than me now.

A friend just told me about shimmy and I keep falling for it. It will take a good while to kill this bad habit of mine. Still, I am learning a lot just by watching and when I can play. I need to adjust myself now toi stop falling for it and actually using the tactic.
Yea shimmy can be beaten with your longest range normal a lot of the time, just make sure it's a quick one. Some players will go low, some for damage etc...it's just about reading the opponent.

Xeteh

Yea shimmy can be beaten with your longest range normal a lot of the time, just make sure it's a quick one. Some players will go low, some for damage etc...it's just about reading the opponent.

I'm a fighting game scrub but I'm like 99% shimmying wasn't really a thing in 4, right? I feel like I never heard/saw it until SFV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom